PDA

View Full Version : Do we need a reloading section?

LittleLebowski
01-29-2016, 11:34 AM
I ask purely out of selfish desire as I've got my RCBS Starter's Kit (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00T9YKUFI/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B00T9YKUFI&linkCode=as2&tag=ratio07-20) ready to be unboxed and my first set of dies in.

NEPAKevin
01-29-2016, 11:43 AM
I frequent a couple because the participants share good deals when they find them and I like a bargain as much as the next guy.

ETA, I started with a kit pretty similar and still use the press to do small batches of rifle ammo. Although back then it came with a VCR tape to walk you through the fundamentals. Only thin I never used was the primer seater as the guy who sold me the set recommended a hand held priming tool as you have a better feel and are a little more convenient when doing batches as well as a powder thrower. Not as fast as a progressive loader, but it got the job done until I finally broke down and got a Dillon.

punkey71
01-29-2016, 11:59 AM
I ask purely out of selfish desire as I've got my RCBS Starter's Kit (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00T9YKUFI/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B00T9YKUFI&linkCode=as2&tag=ratio07-20) ready to be unboxed and my first set of dies in.

I'm in.

I've made plenty of mistakes that others can learn from.

What caliber(s) are you starting with?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JAD
01-29-2016, 12:11 PM
I love reloading, have done some, and like to read and post about it.

But I use the 'new posts' function to read, as opposed to opening specific forums, so having a subforum (other than the existing 'ammunition' subforum) doesn't do anything for me.

I'd suggest instead that you start seeding the crap out of some threads.

Range1
01-29-2016, 12:18 PM
Yes! I got my RCBS starter kit a couple years ago and have hardly used it. Ready to get started for real.

Hambo
01-29-2016, 12:34 PM
Thanks, Lebowski, your post made me realize I've been reloading for nearly thirty years. Even though I sped time on a reloading forum I'd check in here.

LittleLebowski
01-29-2016, 12:42 PM
What caliber(s) are you starting with?

.300Blk for now. Impulse bought powder and primers yesterday, just because I'm itchy.

JM Campbell
01-29-2016, 12:43 PM
What powder?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Drang
01-29-2016, 12:45 PM
Do we need a reloading section?

If you build it, I will read it.
I don't reload, but I am interested in changing that.

cheby
01-29-2016, 12:49 PM
The lack of a reloading section on p-f is actually very illustrative. We do have 10 pages of tactical pants discussion instead.

CCT125US
01-29-2016, 12:58 PM
Sure, what would be the downside? I have been a reloader for 34 years (started at 5). But a good manual and basic mechanical knowledge can go a long ways. Some folks just need to realise they should not handload. But convincing people they are inept can be a chore. Also, you will not save money, not a penny. You will either shoot more, or shoot alot more. It does help to even out the supply and demand spikes and you can produce match grade ammo at a reasonable cost. However, I have yet to meet a reloader who has an account set aside for money saved. When ammo is available for $10-12 per box of 9mm I shoot factory. When factory supply gets sparse I reload. When it gets bleak, I cast. It is thing of beauty and it's own hobby.

LittleLebowski
01-29-2016, 01:04 PM
The lack of a reloading section on p-f is actually very illustrative. We do have 10 pages of tactical pants discussion instead.

Illustrative of what?

Clay1
01-29-2016, 01:18 PM
Would love a forum on reloading. I reload so that I can shoot, some people shoot so they can reload - big difference. I have an older Dillon that has paid for itself many times over. I am a lazy fellow these days and tend to buy factory ammo, but always interested in reloading subjects. Thanks for considering a new forum.

olstyn
01-29-2016, 01:22 PM
A reloading section would give me a way to make more meaningful contributions. While I'm no expert, I knew as soon as I bought a gun that I was going to be reloading for it, so I've got some experience, first on my father in law's single stage press and then on my own Hornady L-n-L progressive. I've only had a need to do 9mm and .380 so far, but any questions I can answer, I will.

First, though, I'm going to ask one: LL, you've got the starter kit, but did you buy a chronograph? Loading rifle rounds, you're probably going to want a case trimmer as well.

okie john
01-29-2016, 01:22 PM
I'm in.

I've made plenty of mistakes that others can learn from.

This.

Okie John

SamAdams
01-29-2016, 01:25 PM
Yes please ! I handload, but not for the service pistol rounds - yet. I'd love to get tips from guys on this. Particularly on getting started in this aspect of handloading without spending an arm & a leg on a new Dillon press. Once I see how it goes, maybe I'll later make that investment if it pencils out.

okie john
01-29-2016, 01:31 PM
Illustrative of what?

I think it illustrates the fact that most users here focus more on shooting and less (threads on tactical yoga pants and chrome helmets aside) on the peripheral issues and other wankery that you see on sites like HKPro or Glocktalk. I've been reloading for nearly 40 years so it's been a HUGE part of my education and understanding of anything to do with firearms, but to be honest, I didn't even notice that there was no PF reloading section until now.

And if you're going to go down the accuracy rabbit hole, handloading is a must.

Okie John

JM Campbell
01-29-2016, 01:32 PM
Chronograph you can mount directly to barrel or suppressor. This is the one I use.
Used on 308, 300 win mag, 300blk and 556.

http://www.magnetospeed.com/collections/frontpage/products/v3-ballistic-chronograph

cheby
01-29-2016, 01:36 PM
I think it illustrates the fact that most users here focus more on shooting and less (threads on tactical yoga pants and chrome helmets aside) on the peripheral issues and other wankery that you see on sites like HKPro or Glocktalk. I've been reloading for nearly 40 years so it's been a HUGE part of my education and understanding of anything to do with firearms, but to be honest, I didn't even notice that there was no PF reloading section until now.

And if you're going to go down the accuracy rabbit hole, handloading is a must.

Okie John

I am afraid it illustrates the opposite.

Clusterfrack
01-29-2016, 01:46 PM
I'm happy to help. I've got lots of experience with precision rifle reloading on a single-stage, and progressive reloading for pistol and 5.56.

Maple Syrup Actual
01-29-2016, 01:50 PM
I do a lot of bulk pistol reloading but I would really like to learn about precision rifle reloading. If there's anyone here with a lot of experience there I will totally exploit it.

Wobblie
01-29-2016, 01:54 PM

I got my RCBS starter kit in 1974 and I still use it, even the little "Jr" press. Have fun!

LittleLebowski
01-29-2016, 02:03 PM

Oh well.

olstyn
01-29-2016, 02:12 PM
Chronograph you can mount directly to barrel or suppressor. This is the one I use.
Used on 308, 300 win mag, 300blk and 556.

http://www.magnetospeed.com/collections/frontpage/products/v3-ballistic-chronograph

Is it possible to use that with a pistol? Some sort of rail mount vs the barrel clamp arrangement it seems to use? I'm not about to replace my "traditional" chrono anytime soon (unless I shoot it, of course :mad:), and that one is definitely more expensive than I could justify, but learning about cool stuff is always fun. :)

RJ
01-29-2016, 02:38 PM
No horse in this race (option #3 was tempting though :cool: ) so did not vote in the poll.

I would not mind however; if reloading were treated like everything else here, I suspect the SNR in that section would be pretty high.

punkey71
01-29-2016, 02:42 PM
I do a lot of bulk pistol reloading but I would really like to learn about precision rifle reloading. If there's anyone here with a lot of experience there I will totally exploit it.

That's me as well.

Tens of thousands of pistol rounds loaded but I'm a little overwhelmed and intimidated with 223/308 practice and precision reloading.

I'd be a sponge.

ravensfan87
01-29-2016, 03:17 PM
I am still new to the forum. But I have been reloading for about 4-5 years now mainly pistol. But slowly will start with rifle once I get my Omega 308 can out of jail.

LittleLebowski
01-29-2016, 03:18 PM
What powder?

I know I should have gotten AA1680 or Lil' Gun for .300BLk subs but all they had that might work was IMR4895 and CCI400 primers.

SamAdams
01-29-2016, 03:19 PM
What is the bare minimum set-up needed to load 9mm & 5.56 ? What is the best things to invest in that will save you time & effort over the bare minimums ? What volume of practice 9mm & 5.56 do you need to crank out in order to make this worthwhile in terms of time & money ?
I've never taken the time to dig very deeply to these questions since 9mm & 5.56 practice rounds are still relatively cheap. (As opposed to .500 S&W and .338 Lapua, for example).

Malamute
01-29-2016, 03:28 PM
I'm interested. I've been reloading since the mid 70s, though I'm not hyper geeked about all the intricacies of ultra-precision loading. I always read up on it when it comes up elsewhere, when those with experience discuss it though. I started reloading on the cheap, with a Lee Loader, and progressed from there. Mainly to be able to afford to shoot more, and casting bullets was part of that angle until more and better commercial cast bullets became easily available and affordable. Some of my guns have never had any factory ammo through them since I've had them, some very little. Mainly only buy factory in inexpensive surplus calibers and quantities.

cheby
01-29-2016, 03:35 PM
What is the bare minimum set-up needed to load 9mm & 5.56 ? What is the best things to invest in that will save you time & effort over the bare minimums ? What volume of practice 9mm & 5.56 do you need to crank out in order to make this worthwhile in terms of time & money ?
I've never taken the time to dig very deeply to these questions since 9mm & 5.56 practice rounds are still relatively cheap.

Even with today's prices it is almost double compared to 9mm reloads using coated bullets. If someone shoots 3-5K a year, reloading may be not worth it. If over 20K, however, it is a different story

punkey71
01-29-2016, 03:47 PM
Even with today's prices it is almost double compared to 9mm reloads using coated bullets. If someone shoots 3-5K a year, reloading may be not worth it. If over 20K, however, it is a different story

Agreed.

$1,000 for reloading equipment will pay for itself after about 10k rounds of 9mm. Enos sells a Dillon 550b kit with everything but components in your choice of caliber for $1,050 ish.

That's figuring $200/1000 factory & $100/1000 reloads.

Even if your shooting 5k/yr pistol its a good investment. Stock up on components and never sweat a shortage.

Clusterfrack
01-29-2016, 03:49 PM
Let's do some math to calculate the cost of reloading:

Powder:
8 lbs = 56000 grains

Using a 4gr load, we get ~14000 9mm from one 8# jug of Titegroup (~$150), costing about $0.01 per round.
Using a 25gr load, we get ~2200 5.56mm from one 8# jug of H335 (~$180), costing about $0.08 per round.

Bullet:
Good 9mm and 5.56 bullets cost about $0.07 each, assuming you buy bulk.

Primers:
$0.03 for small pistol primers
$0.04 for CCI #41 military primers

Let's assume brass is free.

Total cost of reloading:
9mm: $0.11 per round
5.56: $0.19 per round

That's about 1/2 the price of quality factory ammo.

If you shoot 10,000 rounds a year of 9mm that saves you about $1000, or the cost of setting up a Dillon 650.

I load about 15,000 rounds a year of 9mm on my $2000 Dillon 1050 setup, so that press more than paid for itself in two years.

Hambo
01-29-2016, 03:53 PM
Sure, what would be the downside? I have been a reloader for 34 years (started at 5). But a good manual and basic mechanical knowledge can go a long ways. Some folks just need to realise they should not handload. But convincing people they are inept can be a chore. Also, you will not save money, not a penny. You will either shoot more, or shoot alot more. It does help to even out the supply and demand spikes and you can produce match grade ammo at a reasonable cost. However, I have yet to meet a reloader who has an account set aside for money saved. When ammo is available for $10-12 per box of 9mm I shoot factory. When factory supply gets sparse I reload. When it gets bleak, I cast. It is thing of beauty and it's own hobby.

All true. Anyone with some patience, mechanical ability, and the ability to read and follow instructions can reload. But that doesn't mean you'll enjoy it.

Another point to consider is how much free time you really have. If you have to scrape out shooting time, reloading will take a bite of that and you might be better off looking for ammo sales.

cheby
01-29-2016, 04:01 PM
Let's do some math to calculate the cost of reloading:

Powder:
8 lbs = 56000 grains

Using a 4gr load, we get ~14000 9mm from one 8# jug of Titegroup (~$150), costing about $0.01 per round.
Using a 25gr load, we get ~2200 5.56mm from one 8# jug of H335 (~$180), costing about $0.08 per round.

Bullet:
Good 9mm and 5.56 bullets cost about $0.07 each, assuming you buy bulk.

Primers:
$0.03 for small pistol primers
$0.04 for CCI #41 military primers

Let's assume brass is free.

Total cost of reloading:
9mm: $0.11 per round
5.56: $0.19 per round

That's about 1/2 the price of quality factory ammo.

If you shoot 10,000 rounds a year of 9mm that saves you about $1000, or the cost of setting up a Dillon 650.

I load about 15,000 rounds a year of 9mm on my $2000 Dillon 1050 setup, so that press more than paid for itself in two years.

And if you shop around and buy bulk, it could be actually even cheaper.

Clusterfrack
01-29-2016, 04:14 PM
All true. Anyone with some patience, mechanical ability, and the ability to read and follow instructions can reload. But that doesn't mean you'll enjoy it.

Another point to consider is how much free time you really have. If you have to scrape out shooting time, reloading will take a bite of that and you might be better off looking for ammo sales.

Great point.

I don't love reloading, but it really doesn't take me that much time. I can load 1000 9mm in an hour, and I get exactly the load I need for competition or practice. I can keep a large quantity of components on hand, so I'm always prepared for a big practice session or a class.

One of the downsides to reloading I ran into was repetitive motion injury. Before I got my 1050, the priming stroke on the Hornady LNL caused a painful condition in my right shoulder. This went away two weeks after I got my 1050.

StraitR
01-29-2016, 04:16 PM
I know two things about reloading.

1) It's cheaper than buying factory ammo.

2) Doing it wrong has consequences.

I would know a lot more if we had a Reloading Sub-forum on PF, so I can only blame this lack of knowledge on all of you. #ResponsibilityPerfected

LittleLebowski
01-29-2016, 04:17 PM
Well, it's here.

https://pistol-forum.com/forumdisplay.php?83-Reloading

olstyn
01-29-2016, 04:19 PM

Excellent math examples. Even if you pay a bit more for some components, you'll still have a significant per-round savings vs buying factory. If you go with a Dillon 550b or a Hornady L-n-L AP, the setup cost is $100-200 lower, so you'll pay it off even quicker. I know lots of people have a serious, dedicated love for either the blue or the red presses, but for me, the choice was about money; the Hornady is feature-wise roughly equivalent to the Dillon 650 (5-station auto-indexing), but its price is more like the 550b (4-station manual indexing). As far as I understand, they both have good warranty support, so it was hard for me to resist the higher level of features for the lower price.

I don't load the volumes that some of the other folks here do, but even so, I "paid off" my setup in about 2 years, and everything after that is gravy. Additional calibers in the future will of course pay off much quicker, as the only equipment cost there is shell plates and dies; the initial equipment purchase is the only big sunk cost.

Clusterfrack
01-29-2016, 04:25 PM
I've never taken the time to dig very deeply to these questions since 9mm & 5.56 practice rounds are still relatively cheap. (As opposed to .500 S&W and .338 Lapua, for example).

The bare minimum for 9mm would be a Dillon Square Deal or a 550. I recommend a Dillon 650 because it auto-indexes and has an extra station for a powder check die (RCBS Lockout Die (http://www.midwayusa.com/product/536792/rcbs-lock-out-die)).

Reloading 5.56 from range pickup brass is more complicated because you need to resize and trim the cases, and probably swage the primer pockets. Given current prices for 5.56 ball ammo, it doesn't make sense unless you are doing high volume shooting. The 1050 is the only press that has built-in primer pocket swaging, and hand swaging is a pain in the ass. Add the investment in a motorized case trimmer/resize die, unless you have a lot of time on your hands.

HCM
01-29-2016, 04:51 PM

This is me. I work 50 to 60 hours per week. I reloaded back in he 80's and 90's when I had more time than money. Now I reload calibers like 45 Colt and 45-70 where the cost difference is great but for 9mm and 5.56 the time isn't worth it. I'm saving my brass in 5 gallon buckets for when I retire and that time/ money ratio reverses.

I started with Lee Loaders, then a RCBS jr press and. 550. Most of my loading equipment was in my Dads basement and disappeared after he passed away 15 years ago. Yes, I'm still pissed.

Shotgun
01-29-2016, 05:03 PM
I wonder who the 3 "negative" votes are.

I have reloaded shotgun shells since the mid-80s. However, rifle and handgun cartridges have always been a mystery. How deep do you seat the bullet? Does the bullet need to touch the lands? When does one size and trim the cases? Reloading shotgun shells is mindless. Your powder and shot charges aren't measured with any more precision than that given by a charge bar. You reload a shell until it wears out without having to worry about size or trimming for goodness sake. I would welcome a reloading section. It would be nice to learn to reload for pistols, at least for plinking and practice.

LSP972
01-29-2016, 05:21 PM

This. Since I've been shooting mainly 9mm the past several months, I haven't reloaded a round… of anything. While the 21 cents a round I'm paying for bulk EuroPellet is five to ten cents more than I can reload the same caliber for, my time is worth something. Once the thrill wears off, only a hard-core bench-rest shooter will continue to enjoy reloading. It is a means to an end. And you WON'T "save money"; you'll just shoot more.;)

That said… if a Reloading Section shows up here, I'll gladly throw my two cents in to help newbies. Pistol only, though… I'd rather take an ass-whipping than reload bottleneck cartridges. BTDT; too much of a PITA for me.

Hambo
01-29-2016, 05:27 PM
I'm not a hardcore benchrest guy, but I am a tinkerer and load for a crapload of calibers, thus I do enjoy it. I load every round I shoot with the following exceptions:

1-carry ammo
2-if I'm going to a class I'll usually just buy a case
3-shotgun shells are so cheap now I just buy them cases at a time

LSP552
01-29-2016, 05:45 PM
I hate to reload....but love to shoot! I own a Dillon because I no longer have unlimited access to free bullets. I currently load pistol ammo for 9mm, .44 Special and .45 Colt. Have loaded a ton of .45 ACP, .38 Special and .357 mag in the past. I load rifle ammo in .30-06 and .308 because I own very accurate hunting rifles that I like to get the most out of. Reloading rifle ammo is therapy and pistol ammo a chore.

I buy my AR ammo and what little .38 Special I feed the J-frames.

I started reloading in 1979 on a RCBS Rockchucker clamped to my apartment dining room table. Brass was cleaned by boiling on the stove. Yep, single at the time.:D

JDM
01-29-2016, 06:02 PM

How's that?

olstyn
01-29-2016, 06:05 PM
Reloading rifle ammo is therapy and pistol ammo a chore.

I agree that pistol ammo can be a chore, but it's also relatively simple and easy, so it's not too bad to get my phone playing some music and just crank away on the press until the job is done.

Brass was cleaned by boiling on the stove.

Hopefully not in a pot you also used for cooking; I'd hate to see what that'd do to your blood lead levels.

ranger
01-29-2016, 06:21 PM
I voted "no" because there are just so many other places to get reloading information. Will be glad to participate as I am very active reloader.

Malamute
01-29-2016, 07:31 PM
I wonder who the 3 "negative" votes are.

I have reloaded shotgun shells since the mid-80s. However, rifle and handgun cartridges have always been a mystery. How deep do you seat the bullet? Does the bullet need to touch the lands? When does one size and trim the cases? Reloading shotgun shells is mindless. Your powder and shot charges aren't measured with any more precision than that given by a charge bar. You reload a shell until it wears out without having to worry about size or trimming for goodness sake. I would welcome a reloading section. It would be nice to learn to reload for pistols, at least for plinking and practice.

Loading shotgun shells would be a mystery to me. Bullet doesn't need to touch lands unless working up freak accuracy loads for a particular gun. Rarely if ever trim pistol cases, others do. I don't think I ever trimmed a 45 auto case, and rarely if ever on any other pistol/handgun case I recall. Choose a load (charge/bullet combination) from a manual, or figure one out from looking at manuals, load a few at lower charges just to be sure no gremlins are in your stuff, and once figured out, load like crazy. Overall length is where the crimping groove or canelure is on the bullet. Or what works in your gun, or whatever is closest to normal spec for the caliber. Some guns/bullet combinations in revolvers can be loaded to much longer OAL than book, simply because they fit in the cylinder of the gun and the bullet doesn't stick out the front and keep the cylinder from turning. Very few loads have been to a specific length spec other than at or below max, mainly in rifle loads or auto pistol loads. They have to fit in the magazine or feed through the action. Too short can raise pressure though, if it reduces the powder space over typical loads for that bullet weight. Charges can be thrown from a measure once its set. No charge bars, just an adjustable measure you set with a scale.

Size pistol cases every time, rifles generally, though you can only neck size them.

It isn't rocket surgery, though some knowledge and tricks help. The basics are pretty basic.

StraitR
01-29-2016, 07:47 PM
I voted "no" because there are just so many other places to get reloading information. Will be glad to participate as I am very active reloader.

I don't see a "no", are you sure you didn't vote that "Mods here are shit"? ;)

Speaking of Mods, I see that someone (probably LL) is moving pertinent threads into the new reloading section. Maybe we can move the one I started on 300 BLK projectiles...

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?19010-300-BLK-Max-Effective-Range-Projectile-Guide

Sal Picante
01-29-2016, 07:51 PM
I'd add my $0.02...

Since Ranger mentioned that there are a TON of reloading threads, one of the dangers is the "what load for 9 minor?" question getting pulled up over and over and over again. I'd like to see reloading threads moderated a little more strictly...

SLG
01-29-2016, 08:13 PM
I'm all for it. Definitely not an expert, but like everything I do, I'm a very enthusiastic amateur. I have multiple presses from Dillon, Redding, RCBS and Lee. Unlike LSP552, I find pistol loading easy, and rifle a chore, but rifle is what I started on. Freakishly accurate rifle to boot.

I basically have unlimited ammo availability in all the important calibers, but I reload for all the fun stuff I shoot. I find that the loads I want (combo of specific bullet and velocity) are not available commercially at any price, so...

LL, I wish we had talked before you bought the Rockchucker. Flying in the face of CW, I cannot recommend a single stage press to a beginner under almost any circumstances, especially for what you want. Luckily, almost all of my recommendations are pretty inexpensive, and it is always good to have a single stage around to devote to decapping or trimming.

LittleLebowski
01-29-2016, 08:15 PM
I'm all for it. Definitely not an expert, but like everything I do, I'm a very enthusiastic amateur. I have multiple presses from Dillon, Redding, RCBS and Lee. Unlike LSP552, I find pistol loading easy, and rifle a chore, but rifle is what I started on. Freakishly accurate rifle to boot.

I basically have unlimited ammo availability in all the important calibers, but I reload for all the fun stuff I shoot. I find that the loads I want (combo of specific bullet and velocity) are not available commercially at any price, so...

LL, I wish we had talked before you bought the Rockchucker. Flying in the face of CW, I cannot recommend a single stage press to a beginner under almost any circumstances, especially for what you want. Luckily, almost all of my recommendations are pretty inexpensive, and it is always good to have a single stage around to devote to decapping or trimming.

I really should just call and text you more. What time are you hitting the rack tonight? :D

I'm saving for a progressive already. Might take a while.

LittleLebowski
01-29-2016, 08:15 PM
I'd add my $0.02...

Since Ranger mentioned that there are a TON of reloading threads, one of the dangers is the "what load for 9 minor?" question getting pulled up over and over and over again. I'd like to see reloading threads moderated a little more strictly...

I'll be damned, I never expected you to volunteer to help moderate :D

SLG
01-29-2016, 08:20 PM
I really should just call and text you more. What time are you hitting the rack tonight? :D

I'm saving for a progressive already. Might take a while.

I just got in to the hotel for the comp tomorrow, call anytime.

gringop
01-29-2016, 08:22 PM
I would happily participate in a reloading section if it would direct me to some Win 231 or HP-38. I do know of a Central Texas place that has 1680 or at least their website says they do.

As with most commodities the money savings come with bulk purchases. With hazmat fees, ordering one lb of powder at a time will not save much money. Finding a versatile powder (Win 231/HP-38) that allows me to load 380, 9mm, 40 lite loads and 45 acp, I can order a few 8 lbs jugs and know that most of my pistol powder need are taken care of for some time.

Bullets can be the same way, 100 rounds of 9mm124gr Montana Gold is 26 cents a round. A case of 3750 is 9 cents a round.

Finding other local reloaders and pitching in on big purchases is the best way to get good prices and not have to tie up a lot of money in bulk supplies. You just have to find ones that like what you like.

Gringop

NETim
01-29-2016, 08:24 PM
I got my RCBS starter kit in 1974 and I still use it, even the little "Jr" press. Have fun!

Me too! The little RCBS Jr. is still running strong.

GyroF-16
01-29-2016, 08:37 PM
Yes please!

Just got a press for Christmas from my wife, and am preparing to start reloading .40 to support my weekly training sessions.
I'm interested in how to economically produce quality practice ammo.

I was just looking for the reloading topic last week, as I've found this to be the best source of good quality info on so many other things.

LittleLebowski
01-29-2016, 09:04 PM
I just got in to the hotel for the comp tomorrow, call anytime.

Thanks, man. I have no questions right now as I has no money for a progressive :D However, if I need an ass chewing, lemme know, and I'll call.

SLG
01-29-2016, 09:10 PM
Thanks, man. I have no questions right now as I has no money for a progressive :D However, if I need an ass chewing, lemme know, and I'll call.

Let's talk on Sunday, if that works. I have a 6 hour drive back... I also have inexpensive solutions to your ammo production needs.

nwhpfan
01-29-2016, 11:06 PM
I load for the sole purpose I could never afford to buy all the ammo I want to shoot. So out of necessity I have a Dillon 650 with case feeder. My newest addition is a Rapid Trim and (don't tell Dillon) a swage-it. I've been cranking out .223 brass like crazy getting ready to load up about 6k. I'll be making it for about $185 per K!!!!!

drjaydvm
01-30-2016, 12:53 AM
300 blk is what started me reloading. I have a lot of free time at work (wide awake in the middle of the night) so I load 309 blk, 38 spl, or 32 long in small batches. I actually use a lee hand press of all things, individually weigh my powder charges. I really enjoy the process. I tell my wife it's like knitting for dudes.

LittleLebowski
01-30-2016, 08:16 AM
Let's talk on Sunday, if that works. I have a 6 hour drive back... I also have inexpensive solutions to your ammo production needs.

Sounds good.

Malamute
01-30-2016, 11:32 AM
...so I load... in small batches. I actually use a lee hand press of all things, individually weigh my powder charges. I really enjoy the process. I tell my wife it's like knitting for dudes.

I like using the Lyman 310 tools sometimes. I keep them for travel, but still use them sometimes for some of the steps in loading if I don't feel like standing in front of the press. I can sit on the front porch or at the kitchen table and enjoy the world going by as I do parts of my loading procedure.

For handling small to medium amounts of brass, low walled baskets are really handy. A shake sideways turns them all upright-ish, easy to pick up and handle.

JAD
01-30-2016, 08:29 PM

For handling small to medium amounts of brass, low walled baskets are really handy. A shake sideways turns them all upright-ish, easy to pick up and handle.

Pie tins. Plus, I deeply enjoy making empty pie tins.

LittleLebowski
01-31-2016, 06:19 PM
I know I should have gotten AA1680 or Lil' Gun for .300BLk subs but all they had that might work was IMR4895 and CCI400 primers.

Sorry, IMR4198, not 4195.

LSP552
01-31-2016, 07:51 PM
I like using the Lyman 310 tools sometimes. I keep them for travel, but still use them sometimes for some of the steps in loading if I don't feel like standing in front of the press. I can sit on the front porch or at the kitchen table and enjoy the world going by as I do parts of my loading procedure.

I've been intrigued by the Lyman hand tool for some time. It seems they are only available in a few calibers. What do you load on them?

Malamute
01-31-2016, 08:11 PM
I've been intrigued by the Lyman hand tool for some time. It seems they are only available in a few calibers. What do you load on them?

I mostly load 30-30, 45-70 and sometimes 44. I've loaded some other calibers, but mainly like having them for backup or travel use. If I have access to a bench press, I still sometimes like to do some of the operations on the 310 tool. I generally do the sizing on the bench press if I can, as the 310's only neck size, but expanding, recapping, and seating/crimping are pretty simple with them. As a plus, the expanders are Lymans "M" type, which are nice for cast bullets.

Most of mine are vintage dies and handles. I've bought them at gun shows as piles of dies and parts (one time bought about 4 or 5 die sets for about $40, they needed a few odds and ends which were still available from Lyman), sometimes as specific die sets, and I bought some from the old 310 shop before the most recent owner had it and prices jumped dramatically. A few I bought as new dies sets.

I don't know whats available now for calibers, but ebay and other sources may turn up others. They used to be available in scads of calibers.

Lyman used to make a small turret press that used the small 310 type dies. They called it the Tru-line Jr I believe. The box of many dies I bought at once were for the Tru-line press. I needed priming chambers for them, which were all the basic 30-06 base size, and I think cost me about $5-$10 each. Some sellers of 310 parts charge WAY more for parts than what Lyman does for currently available individual dies and parts.

mmc45414
01-31-2016, 08:38 PM
Lots of good stuff already said, some of my opinions:

For many of us it becomes part of the hobby, even if it started out as a way to save money. I just like screwing around with it. Will never know if I am money ahead, but for sure it can be cheaper per shot, but it depends on a couple of things. 9mm is the toughest to make the math work, but if you recover your brass and do not have a cost in it, it is significantly cheaper. And if you exercise the option to use plated or cast bullets it is cheaper. So shooting cast bullets (research all the normal stuff for Glock barrels) in cases you already own is a LOT cheaper.

It also levels the financial playing field between cartridges. Shooting 45 is actually cheaper for me than 9mm because I mostly load FMJ in 9mm (mainly because of the 9mm AR) but mostly cast in 45.

And then there is the option to load lighter loads in hotter cartridges. I would probably not even own a 44mag if I did not reload. Because of cost and because I really am not that interested in shooting very many full power loads. There is a nice sweet spot between 44sp and factory 240g 44mag loads.

This is also true with shotgun, because I can load 12g and 20g with 3/4oz of #9 for skeet. Every time I break a target I tell myself I coulda done that with a 28g!

And if you know a women that ended up with a J-frame they can’t handle, you can load some 125g cast bullets at about 700fps so they can get some experience with it.

And the loads for my F-Class gun are just Not Sold In Stores….

As far as taking time away from shooting, this is hypothetical. In reality I can reload plenty of ammo when I would not be able to actually get to a range and shoot. Even going slow I can loads several hundred rounds in a hour. So I kick some out on a weekend morning while my wife is sleeping in, or I head down to the basement while she is watching something I am not interested in. While it is not recommended for beginners, I can put something on the TV and load instead of just watching TV. It is a distraction, but I really don’t have to “watch” Man on Fire, I have seen it before…

Malamute
01-31-2016, 10:24 PM

The older Lyman 310 dies weren't marked for caliber, but used a code. This chart has the codes, in case you run across older sets. It also shows how many different calibers they were made for. With one small and one large handle (mainly the length of the dies) you can load almost anything. A few larger calibers like 348 and the 50 cals used a slightly larger die diameter and required a special larger handle size.

http://www.castpics.net/subsite/Lyman310/DieCodeChart.html

LSP552
02-04-2016, 08:53 AM
Thanks Malamute! Great info and I'm tempted to pick up a 30-30 and .45 Colt just because.

SLG
02-04-2016, 09:03 AM
Thanks Malamute! Great info and I'm tempted to pick up a 30-30 and .45 Colt just because.

Mal laid out the pros and cons pretty well, but I'll just add that i have stayed away from the 310 because it only neck sizes and i have too many guns in each caliber for that to work. The lee breachlock hand press is a nice alternative for travel that lets you use your regular dies. Also, the 310 requires lubing the case, where the lee takes the carbide dies, at least for pistol. Nonetheless, i k n ow some guys who prefer to prime on the 310 anove all other options. If i found one at theright price, i wouldmprobably get mm one just because.

LSP552
02-04-2016, 09:13 AM
Mal laid out the pros and cons pretty well, but I'll just add that i have stayed away from the 310 because it only neck sizes and i have too many guns in each caliber for that to work. The lee breachlock hand press is a nice alternative for travel that lets you use your regular dies. Also, the 310 requires lubing the case, where the lee takes the carbide dies, at least for pistol. Nonetheless, i k n ow some guys who prefer to prime on the 310 anove all other options. If i found one at theright price, i wouldmprobably get mm one just because.

Thanks SLG. I will have to take a look at them. This would just be something to play with when dinking around in the country visiting the folks. Shooting old school guns in the back pasture makes me feel 15 instead of 60.....

babypanther
02-04-2016, 09:26 AM
For the poll section, does it tell who voted for the "mods are shit" option? Asking for a friend.

LittleLebowski
02-04-2016, 09:33 AM
For the poll section, does it tell who voted for the "mods are shit" option? Asking for a friend.

Nope but I voted for that option and am not afraid to admit it :D

babypanther
02-04-2016, 09:37 AM
I was going to edit the post to try and come across as funnier, but oh well.

BobM
02-04-2016, 11:34 AM
Thanks SLG. I will have to take a look at them. This would just be something to play with when dinking around in the country visiting the folks. Shooting old school guns in the back pasture makes me feel 15 instead of 60.....

I used to watch TV and resize coffee cans(metal ones!) of handgun brass on my Lee hand press. I'd prime with an RCBS hand tool and finish on a Lee Turret. Now I have a Dillon 550 for pistol and my grandpas C-H Tool and Die H press for revolver ammo.

walker2713
02-04-2016, 01:52 PM
Once the thrill wears off, only a hard-core bench-rest shooter will continue to enjoy reloading. It is a means to an end. And you WON'T "save money"; you'll just shoot more.;)

Agreed......I don't believe that I've saved money over the years, but I enjoy the process, have reloaded cartridges that are not commercially available, and made better ammo in the process.

Malamute
02-04-2016, 02:42 PM

I take my regular sizing die along for each caliber when I travel, in case I have access to a bench press. I keep a spare at relatives so have one handy. Ive also borrowed friends at their place, go size, then can finish at my leisure. I've considered getting one of the Lyman light duty presses for this also, but I havent really run into situations much where I couldn't lay hands on a bench press when I wanted. Lyman also used to make full length size dies, they had a simple die that a case was driven into with a brass hammer or block of wood, and driven back out with a small rod. I have a few in different calibers. I seem to stumble across them for about $5 or $10 at gun shows. They need a little lube. Just another option in the tool kit of reloading. I also have a bullet mold along for my most used or useful guns (30 cal rifle, 38 and 44). I don't cast much when away, just a funny thing I do, I like knowing I can make ammo if need be.

I've bought several spare RCBS die sets for cheap at gun shows and kept the size die in the travel kit, and have the seat die for use with the Dillon if I want.

I keep a few select lee powder scoops and info on what charges they throw with various powders in my travel kit. Not high tech, but functional to simply make ammo. They are pretty consistent if used right. I now also have spare one of the Lyman 55 powder measures in the kit, and I think I stashed a spare scale at the relatives.

If working at the bench and doing much quantity, I like the Lee priming tools, they are pretty quick and you can feel them seat. You also never have to touch a primer. The Lyman 310 priming die is sort of slow, but I sort of enjoy using them. I don't feel like Im in a rush or hurried. Nice for smaller quantities.

I had some sized shells once, and finished them on the floor of a friends living room in the outskirts of Fairbanks.