PDA

View Full Version : Stage Planning Tip From Julie Golob

Mr_White
01-26-2016, 12:39 PM
I was browsing some videos on Youtube, looking for information on stage breakdown in USPSA. Found this one, which had a piece of advice in it that would probably be good for me to pay more attention to - making sure to do the walkthrough at a real, honest speed that matches the way we will actually shoot the stage. Very clearly illustrated in the side-by-side video segment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEC5olVvU5Y

GJM
01-26-2016, 12:44 PM
Very nice!

JAD
01-26-2016, 02:08 PM
The point is particularly well made since Ms. Golob is so precise about physical position and placement. Not to knock the we-all-agree-godlike Mr. White, but contrasting his runs in Dundee with that video gives clues to the difference between his class and hers. Please no one take that negatively -- I am just astounded at Ms. G's athleticism.

SLG
01-26-2016, 02:40 PM
The point is particularly well made since Ms. Golob is so precise about physical position and placement. Not to knock the we-all-agree-godlike Mr. White, but contrasting his runs in Dundee with that video gives clues to the difference between his class and hers. Please no one take that negatively -- I am just astounded at Ms. G's athleticism.

Just to clarify, Julie is an A class shooter and Mr White is a master class shooter (or gm?, I dont remember). Classification does not always tell the whole story, as I know Ive mentioned before.

Mr_White
01-26-2016, 02:55 PM
JAD, I'm not sure I understand, unless you meant that I pretty much stunk it up at the match the other day, and didn't break down and execute stages at that match as well as Julie Golob did in the stage/narration in the video. :) If so, no disagreement from me. There are a lot of people better at USPSA than I.

SLG, I'm M in Limited. I figure GM is a ways off...

Anyway, just posted the video because I thought it was a good tip, and one that I should pay more attention to.

SLG
01-26-2016, 03:17 PM
JAD, I'm not sure I understand, unless you meant that I pretty much stunk it up at the match the other day, and didn't break down and execute stages at that match as well as Julie Golob did in the stage/narration in the video. :) If so, no disagreement from me. There are a lot of people better at USPSA than I.

SLG, I'm M in Limited. I figure GM is a ways off...

Anyway, just posted the video because I thought it was a good tip, and one that I should pay more attention to.

Copy.

My comment was in no way directed at you, since i have no idea what video is being discussed. It was a completely generalized comment. When it comes to stage strategy and planning, very few top 16 men come close to Julie in ability. More than one has told me after a run that they should have done it the way she did.

Mr_White
01-26-2016, 03:27 PM
Understood SLG! :)

JAD
01-26-2016, 04:09 PM
My bad. I had those positions reversed in my brain, having forgotten that GW made master a while ago. Again I apologize and hope it doesn't come off in any way as disparaging.

My point was not that Mr. White stunk it up, but that while he is possibly a better or faster shooter than Ms. G, he doesn't demonstrate the same whole-body physical precision that she does, at least in those two examples. Stage planning goes into it, but it's also a sort of athleticism.

Mr_White
01-26-2016, 04:22 PM
I get you better now JAD, thanks for the clarification. I wasn't taking offense anyway, I just didn't completely understand. I definitely did not shoot a good match the other day, but am very optimistic that is the reminder I needed so I can resume doing so. I hear you on the point of athleticism. There are some pretty darn nimble and briskly-moving people in USPSA and they definitely seem to benefit from it. I went and found the match video from the Open guy who won high overall combined the other day and looked at the stage where I had such a hard time with the extreme leans - he actually shot it very similarly to me, but obviously dealt with the leans a lot better.

JAD
01-26-2016, 04:48 PM
It just struck me -- I haven't shot the sport in a long time and don't watch much match video, and it stuck out. JG may have an extra dose because of her participation in several disciplines -- I should go look at video of Koenig and see if there's a parallel.

Carnifex
01-26-2016, 06:59 PM
Great video. I never run during my walk through either. I go slow and absorb everything I can about the position. The only time I will run is if I have to time a swinger from a different position.