PDA

View Full Version : epic M&P rust

fuse
10-07-2011, 08:40 PM
In December 2009, my roommate at the time became interested in buying a pistol. He had previously basically zero experience with firearms, but I took him to the range a few times, and he started to take to the idea of gun ownership.

After much discussion, he decided on the M&P, with my blessing. Partially because I read that many shooters thought it was a great pistol, and partially because I was curious in trying it myself.

It served him well, though he did not shoot it much. Total round count is probably 600-1000 rounds or so. He was definitely an 'owner', not a shooter.

The pistol was never carried, and basically only came out of its case when he went to the range.

He has since moved back up to his native New York state, and after researching the draconian gun laws up there (however unlikely) he was unwilling to become a felon by bringing an unregistered pistol into the state, and as such he asked me to store it in my house for him. I agreed.

4 months pass. I was cleaning out my closet, and came across the m&p in its case. I naturally decide to take it out for some dry firing/gun fondling. I am horrified by what I discover.

http://i393.photobucket.com/albums/pp15/ebtromba/left/IMG_0470.jpg

http://i393.photobucket.com/albums/pp15/ebtromba/left/IMG_0471.jpg

http://i393.photobucket.com/albums/pp15/ebtromba/left/IMG_0486.jpg

http://i393.photobucket.com/albums/pp15/ebtromba/left/IMG_0482.jpg

Current leading theory on what caused this: the foam in the M&P case. Moisture trapped in the case foam caused this crazy rust. Also, the m&p melonite is perhaps not as impressive as, for example glock's tenifer.

JConn
10-07-2011, 08:43 PM
http://i393.photobucket.com/albums/pp15/ebtromba/jackslownod.gif

LittleLebowski
10-07-2011, 08:51 PM
Call S&W on his behalf. Unacceptable.

JDM
10-07-2011, 08:53 PM
99% of that will knock right off with a little steel wool.

fuse
10-07-2011, 09:06 PM
99% of that will knock right off with a little steel wool.

I plan to clean it up for him.

JRCHolsters
10-07-2011, 09:16 PM
Gun cases are horrendous for causing rust, especially foam lined ones. As stated above, steel wool(the finest you can get, preferably 0000) and some oil should knock off the rust. If S&W won't refinish it, I would use a good spray/baked on coating for a new finish.

KevH
10-07-2011, 09:30 PM
I've seen this before.

You have one of the slides prone to rust from the bad batch shipped out in 2008/2009. We had a few at your PD and S&W replaced them. If you are unfortunate enough to have a rusty slide M&P keeping it rust-free will be worse than trying to keep a Royal Blue Colt pristine on a extra-humid Miami day.

Call S&W. They should replace it for free and give you a shipping label.

F-Trooper05
10-07-2011, 09:37 PM
"Epic" is definitely an appropriate description for that. Fuckin' crazy.

fuse
10-07-2011, 09:56 PM
I've seen this before.

You have one of the slides prone to rust from the bad batch shipped out in 2008/2009. We had a few at your PD and S&W replaced them. If you are unfortunate enough to have a rusty slide M&P keeping it rust-free will be worse than trying to keep a Royal Blue Colt pristine on a extra-humid Miami day.

Wow. Cool, I will not expend any effort cleaning it myself then. Thanks.

fuse
10-08-2011, 12:52 AM
more, from m4C

The blasting media used to blast early M&P's contained carbon. During blasting, the media would embed in the metal. The melonite was added after and the carbon media would rust under the melonite. Smith and Wesson has since changed to a blasting media with a much lower carbon content that does not cause rust.

You could send the gun back to Smith for replacement or have it reblasted and coated with cerakote or something similar by and aftermarket company.

FWIW, my source on the blasting media was a Smith LE marketing rep.

theblacknight
10-08-2011, 05:12 AM
We have those same bamboo placemats. women

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

JV_
10-08-2011, 05:24 AM
Sent it back to S&W. They will send out a call tag and he'll get a few new parts out of it.

KeeFus
10-08-2011, 05:52 AM
They mentioned this in out armorer class. Send it back & get they will replace it.

waltw
10-08-2011, 07:53 AM
I've seen this before.

I had a similar experience, although the rust wasn't nearly that bad. I called Smith & Wesson and they were very apologetic and took care of the problem. Because it was less work to simply replace the slide, they replaced it rather than having it refinished. I believe I had my M&P back in about 3 weeks.

Before calling them I tried cleaning off the surface rust and found that the finish was pitted. While it looked far better than the rust, it annoyed me every time I looked at it, which prompted my call to Smith & Wesson.

orionz06
10-08-2011, 11:41 AM
Mine can get like that but it honestly takes 30 seconds with a Scothbrite pad to remove and 10 seconds with some oil to keep it good for 3 months.

LittleLebowski
10-08-2011, 02:44 PM
Mine can get like that but it honestly takes 30 seconds with a Scothbrite pad to remove and 10 seconds with some oil to keep it good for 3 months.

Send it in.

orionz06
10-08-2011, 03:46 PM
Send it in.

I had 3 M&P's at one point and didnt' send it in... I am going to shortly though.

JRL
10-08-2011, 09:50 PM
My 9L slide stays wrapped in that anti-rust paper that it came with when it's in the case, had it almost 2 years and no signs of rust. Don't know if it's the paper or just the finish doing its job.