PDA

View Full Version : Inertia Driven How does it work?

P.E. Kelley
01-22-2016, 12:54 PM
http://youtu.be/4IOvu_eq6uY

LOKNLOD
01-22-2016, 03:18 PM
Really interesting. Thanks for posting that up!

SecondsCount
01-22-2016, 04:05 PM
Very well done! Thanks.

P.E. Kelley
01-22-2016, 05:27 PM
Two things...first I just got some lapel mics so the sound of these will improve...and second...got some suggestions for additional subjects?

GJM
01-22-2016, 05:43 PM
Very interesting. You have educated me, as Benny Hill previously told me the Benelli inertia system ran on pain.

SeriousStudent
01-22-2016, 07:58 PM
That was very useful, thank you.

I am considering a Stoeger M3500 shotgun, and appreciate the information.

StraitR
01-22-2016, 08:39 PM
Thanks Patrick. Not sure why, but I had not subbed to your channel prior to this video. Either way, that has been corrected.

Paul D
01-22-2016, 09:07 PM
Thank you! I just subscribed to your channel. That system looks painful to the shoulder. What's the advantage over other gas systems? I have a couple of Beretta auto shotguns and never really considered the Benelli.

MVS
01-22-2016, 10:36 PM
Good timing. I just bought a Stoeger M3K. Thanks.

P.E. Kelley
01-23-2016, 11:52 AM
Good timing. I just bought a Stoeger M3K. Thanks.

Excellent! If you have any issues (not related to using underpowered ammo) please let me know.

farscott
01-29-2016, 06:51 PM
As an engineer, I liked the use of the spring with a smaller "K" to demonstrate the way the inertia of the bolt compress the spring as the lighter components move faster. The need for the bolt to remain still for the gun to run explains why a good mount of the Benelli is so important. If the whole gun moves, the bolt mass compresses the spring much less.

As far as additional topics, it would be cool to cover the Browning 'long recoil" from the Browning Auto-5 and Remington Model 11, especially the usage of the friction pieces, as well as the gas operation of the Remington 1100. The 1100 operation would be a good place to transition to the AR-15 direct impingement gas operation.

Chance
01-29-2016, 07:35 PM
Cool video. If you could somehow get some slo-mo of the system in action, that would help a lot in understanding. Otherwise, very clear explanation and I learned several things.

joshs
01-29-2016, 08:36 PM
The need for the bolt to remain still for the gun to run explains why a good mount of the Benelli is so important. If the whole gun moves, the bolt mass compresses the spring much less.

By "good mount" do you mean more relaxed than you would normally mount a shotgun? I can make my M3000 choke with loads it will otherwise run if I hold it too tight to my shoulder while heavily leaning into the gun. Inertia guns need to move rearward in order to operate.

P.E. Kelley
01-30-2016, 09:53 AM
I wish I could. The 240 fps frame rate of camera's within the budget of a working man (me) will not come close to capturing this event.

SpyderMan2k4
01-30-2016, 10:41 AM
Great explanation, thank you. That definitely helps make sense of various things I've heard in the past regarding inertia systems.

MVS
01-30-2016, 11:58 AM
One thing I can tell you about it, shooting slugs from a bench to check POA/POI gives quite a cheek bump.

Surf
01-30-2016, 01:02 PM
Good explanation PE.

This video is from Benelli and it shows the systems function well. I used to use an older version from Benelli but I now use this more modern computer rendering. Mine is just the computer rendering of the weapon, but I was able to find a similar version (same computer rendering) online from Benelli. We still run some M1 Super 90's so I use this to show our guys exactly what is happening. The visual is easier to grasp. It also helps to show why the link needs to "drop" correctly into the stocks recoil spring and why it is easy to get this part wrong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UOSB8mwwlQ

P.E. Kelley
01-30-2016, 04:38 PM
That video was the reason I create mine. I did not feel it focuses enough on the Inertia Spring storing energy and how it does it.

farscott
01-31-2016, 12:05 PM
By "good mount" do you mean more relaxed than you would normally mount a shotgun? I can make my M3000 choke with loads it will otherwise run if I hold it too tight to my shoulder while heavily leaning into the gun. Inertia guns need to move rearward in order to operate.

My last post is really not well written.

Too tight or too relaxed can theoretically cause the Benelli inertia system to fail, but too tight is a big problem with the inertia design. Both lead to compression of the bolt spring outside of the design tolerances for cycling. If one holds too tight, the gun does not move enough so the inertia of the bolt does not compress the spring as there is not enough gun travel. If one holds too loose, the whole gun, including the heavy bolt, move too much, so the spring does not get compressed. One has to really work though to hold the Benelli too loose as the gun cycles so quickly.

P.E. Kelley
01-31-2016, 09:38 PM
As an engineer, I liked the use of the spring with a smaller "K" to demonstrate the way the inertia of the bolt compress the spring as the lighter components move faster. The need for the bolt to remain still for the gun to run explains why a good mount of the Benelli is so important. If the whole gun moves, the bolt mass compresses the spring much less.

As far as additional topics, it would be cool to cover the Browning 'long recoil" from the Browning Auto-5 and Remington Model 11, especially the usage of the friction pieces, as well as the gas operation of the Remington 1100. The 1100 operation would be a good place to transition to the AR-15 direct impingement gas operation.

The Auto 5 is on the list! Love that gun.

SeriousStudent
01-31-2016, 10:13 PM
A related question, if you do not mind. Would it negatively affect reliability to reduce the barrel on a Stoeger M3500 to 18.5"?

I am contemplating buying one of their youth models, and having the barrel shortened.

Thanks very much.

P.E. Kelley
01-31-2016, 10:25 PM
A related question, if you do not mind. Would it negatively affect reliability to reduce the barrel on a Stoeger M3500 to 18.5"?

I am contemplating buying one of their youth models, and having the barrel shortened.

Thanks very much.

No, it would not make it less reliable.

P.E. Kelley
10-18-2018, 02:18 PM
Lots of shotgun talk going on, so this comment is to bring this info up from the deep.

Unobtanium
10-19-2018, 09:01 PM
I wish I could. The 240 fps frame rate of camera's within the budget of a working man (me) will not come close to capturing this event.

A bit of a drift, but the new S9 films at near 1k fps. When i finally upgrade, prepare for the slowmo spamming, lol