PDA

View Full Version : Oregon Non-Resident Permit Question

Cool Breeze
01-19-2016, 06:06 PM
Does anyone know if it is possible for someone to get a non-resident permit if they are not a resident of one of the neighboring states BUT is scheduled to do significant business there? Is it up to the Sheriff? Or does Oregon law simply not allow it? I seem to not be able to google it.

I have a NY permit and may need to travel to Oregon for a period of time for significant business and it would be nice to carry if possible. Thanks.

Drang
01-19-2016, 06:11 PM
You must live in an adjacent state. Most counties define that to mean "adjacent to this county".

Edit: I find the CCW app for Android helpful. But not helpful enough to tell me what law covers this! The OR web sites are just as bad. Bottom line, the county sheriff (or equivalent CLEO) issues the permit, but it seems to be in ORS Chapter 166 (https://www.oregonlegislature.gov/bills_laws/ors/ors166.html), specially, 166.291 and 166.292.
Re-edit: CORRECTION: Following verbiage follows permit application form:

(8) The county sheriff may waive the residency requirement in subsection (1)(c) of this section for a resident of a contiguous state who has a compelling business interest or other legitimate demonstrated need.

dsa
01-19-2016, 08:28 PM
Does anyone know if it is possible for someone to get a non-resident permit if they are not a resident of one of the neighboring states BUT is scheduled to do significant business there? Is it up to the Sheriff? Or does Oregon law simply not allow it? I seem to not be able to google it.

I have a NY permit and may need to travel to Oregon for a period of time for significant business and it would be nice to carry if possible. Thanks.

Grant County used to be a very smooth process to get an Oregon CCW permit, sadly they are no longer processing non-resident applications. Try Malhuer or Klamath counties, check their websites I believe they only process non-resident permits on certain days. They may grant a permit based on your business travel. Mine is from Grant county I had to apply in person, show proof of training and a permit from another state (I live in a neighboring state).