PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on the GemTech HALO suppressor ?

HCM
01-19-2016, 02:47 PM
I've been considering a dedicated 5.56 can to supplement my Omega and have been looking at the GemTech HALO.

I know it's not the latest hotness but the idea of being able to use it with any standard NATO FH.

What is the POI shift and is it consistent ?

Some users report the the can coming loose and others say it's not an issue. Have you had any issues with the can coming loose ? If so is there a fix?

voodoo_man
01-19-2016, 06:16 PM
I have a g5t, which is essentially the same thing just titanium.

No poi shift that i could see.

vaspence
01-19-2016, 09:28 PM
I have a Halo, no poi shift (at least to 100 yds) on the pinned 14.5 it rides on. My pinned rifle has a Vortex, no rotation issue.

HCM
01-19-2016, 09:31 PM
any issues with them coming loose or is that operator error ?

vaspence
01-19-2016, 09:34 PM
Edited above. I have not run it on any other flash hider.

JR1572
01-19-2016, 09:44 PM
I have one and I haven't had any issues.

JR1572

HCM
01-19-2016, 09:55 PM
Thanks. My friends National Guard Unit has a few and they were reporting 3" POI shift at 100 but not in a consistent direction. I suspect it may be because they are running them on standard M-4's with the FH mounted on a crush washer.

Sigfan26
01-19-2016, 10:19 PM
Ask GemTech direct about the limitations... Needless to say, it doesn't mount to a standard A2 without some caveats.

torsf
01-21-2016, 11:05 AM
I have one, but only for a pinned 14.5 with a vortex. The halo version I have has internal tabs that lock into the times of the vortex, which means I mount it the same every time, which seems to keep the 1 inch poi shift the same.

Tone is really nice on the 14.5; still need to try it on something shorter.

I spent ~550 on mine, but at the usual 700 price I would buy a specwar ( k or full size ) as a cheaper option or spend a bit more for a surefire/saker/omega/rugged/etc.

LittleLebowski
01-21-2016, 11:18 AM
I'd go direct thread or with a newer suppressor that can use A2 flashhiders like the Griffin M4SDK (http://www.silencershop.com/silencers/5-56mm-rifle/griffin-armament-m4sdk.html?) if this was A2 requirement important to me (it's not).

Otherwise, I'd just find something else and wait for deals on muzzle devices and/or PM Hansohn Brothers about pricing on said muzzle devices.

I have a good friend with this suppressor. He says the build quality and sound is woeful compared to his Silencercos.

HCM
01-21-2016, 04:24 PM
I'd go direct thread or with a newer suppressor that can use A2 flashhiders like the Griffin M4SDK (http://www.silencershop.com/silencers/5-56mm-rifle/griffin-armament-m4sdk.html?) if this was A2 requirement important to me (it's not).

Otherwise, I'd just find something else and wait for deals on muzzle devices and/or PM Hansohn Brothers about pricing on said muzzle devices.

I have a good friend with this suppressor. He says the build quality and sound is woeful compared to his Silencercos.

I'm already invested in Silencerco ASR muzzle devices for my Omega. I'm considering a SPECWAR K but wanted to look at other options since I have several rifles with A2's. I'll look at the Griffin offering but the SPEQ program makes Silencerco hard to beat.

Ps: Silencer shop is local to me - I actually heard their commercial this past Saturday on the local AM News station.

Hansohn Brothers
01-22-2016, 09:48 PM
I'm already invested in Silencerco ASR muzzle devices for my Omega. I'm considering a SPECWAR K but wanted to look at other options since I have several rifles with A2's. I'll look at the Griffin offering but the SPEQ program makes Silencerco hard to beat.

Ps: Silencer shop is local to me - I actually heard their commercial this past Saturday on the local AM News station.

Silencer Shop doesn't sell to the public anymore nor do they carry SilencerCo. For Texas residents, check out Capitol Armory.

HCM
01-24-2016, 11:26 PM
Silencer Shop doesn't sell to the public anymore nor do they carry SilencerCo. For Texas residents, check out Capitol Armory.

I believe they still sell to the public, though I did hear something about SS no longer selling SilencerCo.

I bought my two SilencerCo suppressors from McQueeney Gun Club - They are the SPEQ program dealer for central TX.

http://www.mcqueeneygunclub.com/

The fact they are a range is a plus - you can have conjugal visits with your suppressor until it gets out of NFA jail :p