PDA

View Full Version : Pentagon Considering Demoting David Petraeus

Chance
01-19-2016, 12:28 PM
The Pentagon (read: Ash Carter) is considering retroactively demoting David Petraeus to lieutenant general. From The Daily Beast (http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2016/01/18/exclusive-pentagon-may-demote-david-petraeus.html):

The Pentagon is considering retroactively demoting retired Gen. David Petraeus after he admitted to giving classified information to his biographer and mistress while he was still in uniform, three people with knowledge of the matter told The Daily Beast.

The decision now rests with Secretary of Defense Ash Carter, who is said to be willing to consider overruling an earlier recommendation by the Army that Petraeus not have his rank reduced. Such a demotion could cost the storied general hundreds of thousands of dollars—and deal an additional blow to his once-pristine reputation.

While giving classified information to the woman you're banging on the side is beyond moronic, Petraeus is an awesome American who has done some amazing things on behalf of his country. I think he earned a fifth star, despite the fact that this administration was too spineless to call their "overseas contingency operations" the war that it is. If Obama supports this, but chooses not to go after Hillary....

farscott
01-19-2016, 12:34 PM
On the other hand, demoting General Petraeus may signal that the Obama Administration is willing to go after Secretary Clinton for her lapses of handling classified information. General Patraeus may the medium by which the message is delivered to the DoJ and to the American public. He could also be the scapegoat so as to avoid punishing Secretary Clinton.

I think General Petraeus should be punished for his lapse as if Captain Petraeus did the same thing, he likely would be serving time at Fort Leavenworth. Retiring at flag rank and benefits is not much of a punishment. RHIP and all that ....

Chance
01-19-2016, 12:39 PM
I think General Petraeus should be punished for his lapse as if Captain Petraeus did the same thing, he likely would be serving time at Fort Leavenworth. Retiring at flag rank and benefits is not much of a punishment. RHIP and all that ....

I agree: the guy's behavior is inexcusable. It just shocks me that the administration is prepared to do this, and then completely ignore the egregious misconduct of a cabinet-level official.

ETA: I'm not even sure I understand my own bewilderment. I guess it shouldn't be surprising no one is required to ensure their moral bankruptcy be evenly distributed.

JHC
01-19-2016, 12:59 PM
On the other hand, demoting General Petraeus may signal that the Obama Administration is willing to go after Secretary Clinton for her lapses of handling classified information. General Patraeus may the medium by which the message is delivered to the DoJ and to the American public. He could also be the scapegoat so as to avoid punishing Secretary Clinton.

+1 The 75th Ranger's former O6 Commander recently got a reprimand for far less egregious behavior (off color unit party and premium hotels) that will probably mean he'll never see O7. I don't think taking a star from Petraeus is excessive.

DocGKR
01-19-2016, 01:14 PM
Taking a star, along with his misdemeanor conviction is BS unless the USG goes after the far more egregious offenses by the former Sec State in the same fashion...

Jeep
01-19-2016, 01:43 PM
One of the things about generals is that they get to hang around the Washington ruling class too much, and sometimes fall into their ways.

Taking a star from Petraeus might send a good signal to our uniformed leaders that it doesn't matter what the ruling class does--you aren't part of it and you will be held to the standards of the armed forces.

On the other hand, Petraeus has been openly criticizing Obama's strategy lately, and Obama is reputed to have the thinnest skin in DC (which, if true, is saying something). So this might be a shot across Petraeus's bow telling him he better shut up or things will get ugly.

As for Hillary, let's hope that the FBI keeps probing. Janet Reno shut down the FBI's investigation against her and Bill almost 20 years ago, and there are probably still some agents there who remember the details of that investigation and have no love for her. (Indeed, former FBI director Louis Freeh is said to regard the Clintons as being little better than organized crime figures)

RoyGBiv
01-19-2016, 01:50 PM
If Obama supports this, but chooses not to go after Hillary....
It would be business as usual for him.....

More fuel for this fire..... https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?16699-Hillary-Clinton-Sent-Classified-Emails-via-Private-Mail-Server&p=397132&viewfull=1#post397132

LittleLebowski
06-10-2016, 03:44 PM
Fuck Petraeus.

http://thehill.com/business-a-lobbying/283049-petraeus-mark-kelly-form-new-gun-control-group

Eric_L
06-10-2016, 04:23 PM
If Petraeus leaked classified information he should be held accountable, just as Clinton should be. A good source of information/discussion on H. Clinton's email issue from a former NSA person is this site:

https://20committee.com

RoyGBiv
06-10-2016, 04:34 PM
If Petraeus leaked classified information he should be held accountable, just as Clinton should be. A good source of information/discussion on H. Clinton's email issue from a former NSA person is this site:

https://20committee.com
It would be mucho better if you linked the actual article, rather than "it's here somewhere, go find it". Gracias.

Odin Bravo One
06-10-2016, 04:41 PM
Fuck Petraeus.]

At least he did it for the pooswa. Hillary did it to hide her illegal activities.

LittleLebowski
06-10-2016, 05:37 PM
Fuck Petraeus.

http://thehill.com/business-a-lobbying/283049-petraeus-mark-kelly-form-new-gun-control-group

Gen. David Petraeus and retired astronaut Mark Kelly announced Friday they are forming a new gun control group for veterans.

The Veterans Coalition for Common Sense will push to strengthen gun background check laws and help prevent veterans from committing suicide. It pointed to several alarming statistics about the military and gun violence.

Odin Bravo One
06-10-2016, 08:41 PM
Bill McCraven thinks the same way. Doesn't change my opinion of him. Just that his opinion on private ownership is different than mine.

Dagga Boy
06-10-2016, 09:02 PM
Yea, because Astronauts and General's know a lot about street crime in America, and what regular combat guys are growing through when back in America......and of course, not a bit could be with issues with places like the VA, and of course having folks like Maj. Hassan working with our guys coming home....no, it's the guns. These two need to stick to high end military strategy and space flight.

msh
06-10-2016, 09:29 PM
On the other hand, Petraeus has been openly criticizing Obama's strategy lately, and Obama is reputed to have the thinnest skin in DC (which, if true, is saying something). So this might be a shot across Petraeus's bow telling him he better shut up or things will get ugly.

Sounds similar to what happened to Flynn. Schindler at 20 committee had an interesting article on the later.

TAZ
06-11-2016, 04:45 PM
So is his support for the Kelly assholes organization a plea bargain?? Or is the demotion and support for assholes organization the bargain. What a retarded looser. For a piece of ass he got himself compromised and tooled.

Jeep
06-11-2016, 06:30 PM
Bill McCraven thinks the same way. Doesn't change my opinion of him. Just that his opinion on private ownership is different than mine.

McChrystal is another one who is said to have similar views. As a civilian it is always hard to know the truth, but it seemed to me from a distance that both McChrystal and McRaven did a very good job at JSOC. That being said, my view of generals, at least, is that their training and experience makes them comfortable with government command and control and uncomfortable with things that are not under their control, which is why many of them tend to support restrictions on gun ownership and use.

Personally, I'm willing to defer to them on things they know better than I do--which I don't think includes either the meaning and history of the second amendment or what civilian gun laws should be. I'll honor them for their service, but I think they would be well advised to back off before publicly commenting about issues they know relatively little about.

FNFAN
06-11-2016, 06:35 PM
Fuck Petraeus.

Indeed. Another Bilderberg Globalist progressive.

HCM
06-11-2016, 08:04 PM

I see what you did there :-)

LittleLebowski
06-11-2016, 08:17 PM
McChrystal is another one who is said to have similar views. As a civilian it is always hard to know the truth, but it seemed to me from a distance that both McChrystal and McRaven did a very good job at JSOC. That being said, my view of generals, at least, is that their training and experience makes them comfortable with government command and control and uncomfortable with things that are not under their control, which is why many of them tend to support restrictions on gun ownership and use.

Personally, I'm willing to defer to them on things they know better than I do--which I don't think includes either the meaning and history of the second amendment or what civilian gun laws should be. I'll honor them for their service, but I think they would be well advised to back off before publicly commenting about issues they know relatively little about.

I can respect what they've done and achieved and at the same time completely disagree with their shameless pandering (not McRaven, he doesn't seem to have aspirations for public office) for recognition from the Democratic party. I'll leave it to the audience to form their own impressions on how much McChrystal actually knows about firearms after reading the below:

http://www.msnbc.com/morning-joe/gen

“I spent a career carrying typically either an M16 or an M4 Carbine. An M4 Carbine fires a .223 caliber round which is 5.56 mm at about 3000 feet per second. When it hits a human body, the effects are devastating. It’s designed for that,” McChrystal explained. “That’s what our soldiers ought to carry. I personally don’t think there’s any need for that kind of weaponry on the streets and particularly around the schools in America.”

Palmguy
06-11-2016, 08:46 PM
It would be mucho better if you linked the actual article, rather than "it's here somewhere, go find it". Gracias.

It's not a single article; John Schindler has written a lot on the subject on a regular basis.