PDA

View Full Version : 2011 as an EDC, anyone have experience?

PNWTO
01-19-2016, 12:05 PM
Got to play with a STI Marauder and a Tactical 4.0 this weekend, both in 9mm. I now want one, at least as an OWB/range gun and they seem like they can be carried concealed/low-vis with the right accommodations. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Default.mp3
01-19-2016, 12:09 PM
Haraise had some: https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?11680-2011-update-13-months-EDC

oldtexan
01-20-2016, 06:18 PM
I had a pair of STI Tactical Lite 9mm 5" guns with aluminum frames that I used as carry guns back in '07-08. Easy to shoot, accurate. Carried them in Blade Tech IWB holsters, IIRC. Had issues with mag springs needing to be replaced at least once a year. The guns had issues out of the box; one had grossly inadequate extractor tension and the other had an undersized chamber, both resulting in reliability issues. Dave Dawson fixed them both. They were about as easy to carry concealed as a Govt Model, as one would expect.

Juice just wasn't worth the squeeze, IMO.

I sold them off and replaced them with G34s.

GJM
01-20-2016, 08:49 PM
Very bad idea unless you are trying to make a statement.

SecondsCount
01-20-2016, 11:42 PM
I built a 2011 about 6 or 7 years ago in 40. Since I had complete control of everything, including the perfect reload for it, the gun ran like a champ. The one thing about them is the mags aren't that great and they don't like to lock back.

I ended up selling it to a friend who runs it in USPSA and is very happy with the purchase.

45dotACP
01-21-2016, 01:26 AM
There is a lot of drama involved in getting a 2011 to run...just ask any Limited or Open shooter...

That said, you can get one to run. You just have to be really REALLY on top of your mags...the ridiculously expensive mags.

I'd look more at a 1911 in 9mm. Then again, the above recommendation for a G34 isn't terrible...or for the price, a CZ with a tuned trigger...or a Wilson Tuned Beretta. There are a lot of really good options for a large, easy to shoot 9mm that don't have the issue of fragile and finicky magazines like a 2011.

farscott
01-21-2016, 06:56 AM
I built a 2011 about 6 or 7 years ago in 40. Since I had complete control of everything, including the perfect reload for it, the gun ran like a champ. The one thing about them is the mags aren't that great and they don't like to lock back.

I ended up selling it to a friend who runs it in USPSA and is very happy with the purchase.

I had a .40 2011 built on the SVI frame and slide and reloaded for it when I shot Limited. If one is willing to load long and is a fanatic on magazine springs and magazine maintenance, it can be done. But if one is going to use factory 9x19 ammo, keeping the magazines running and the gun feeding that short round is going to be a challenge. For the cost and effort needed, almost any 9x19 service pistol would make a better choice, and all of the savings in gun cost could be spent on a spare pistol, ammo, and training.

Lots of people and agencies have attempted to make double-stack 1911 and 2011 pistols run as service weapons, including the FBI HRT. All of them had issues with feed reliability. Moving to the 9x19 exacerbates that issue as the magazines were designed around a much longer round, and the 9x19 recoil impulse does not provide a lot of margin in cycling for a design built around .45 ACP recoil impulse. Concealment holsters for a 2011 are also a bit tough to find.

I second the recommendation to look at pistols like the Glock 34 and the Beretta 92G Brigadier Tactical.