PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of a 10/22 suppresed barrel

ravensfan87
01-19-2016, 10:47 AM
YHM INTEGRAL 10/22 SUPPRESSED BARREL or the GEMTECH INTEGRAL MIST-22 SUPPRESSOR does anyone have one? or any thoughts on these?

El Cid
01-19-2016, 12:22 PM
YHM INTEGRAL 10/22 SUPPRESSED BARREL or the GEMTECH INTEGRAL MIST-22 SUPPRESSOR does anyone have one? or any thoughts on these?

I bought the Mist-22 back in October but am still waiting on ATF. I already have all the other parts (Tac Sol X-ring receiver, Magpul X-22 stock, Kidd trigger, optic) so as soon as the stamp is approved I'll be able to provide you with some feedback. From my reviews of it online prior to purchase, it should be stupid quiet. It's always tough to tell how quiet a can is with an online video but one guy mentioned the RO came over and expressed concern because he thought the shooter had experienced 20+ misfires. The shooter showed the amazed RO the empty shells on the ground.

If you can wait a month or two I should be able to give you more details. A buddy has the Tac-Sol bbl with the shroud he uses with a Sparrow on his 10/22. I can do a side by side of the two.

ravensfan87
01-19-2016, 12:45 PM
Would you mind posting a picture of the parts you have? I have been thinking of building one from a PWS T3 summit receiver. But I am not sure about how to head space a 22lr. Same as you the reviews and everything I have found online show it is one of the best.

El Cid
01-19-2016, 01:08 PM
Would you mind posting a picture of the parts you have? I have been thinking of building one from a PWS T3 summit receiver. But I am not sure about how to head space a 22lr. Same as you the reviews and everything I have found online show it is one of the best.

I considered the PWS because it got rave reviews, including here. But it's like using a bolt gun. It will be quieter, but I want a semi-auto platform.

http://i828.photobucket.com/albums/zz209/El_CidAF_ResQ/Mobile%20Uploads/FullSizeRender_zpslys1ff1x.jpg

ravensfan87
01-19-2016, 01:53 PM
That looks really good. I like the stock. How are you planning on heading spacing the barrel/receiver? I am not sold yet to which I want to do I like the idea of making it a bolt gun.

Irelander
01-19-2016, 01:57 PM
There is also the Pinnacle 2 (http://libertycans.net/centerfire-pistol-integral-suppressors/pinnacle/) from Liberty Suppressors (http://libertycans.net/).

http://libertycans.net/wp-content/uploads/rotating-banner-home-page-pinnacle2.jpg

HCM
01-19-2016, 02:27 PM
Aren't 10/22"s fixed headspace like AR's ?

ravensfan87
01-19-2016, 02:36 PM
I am not sure if they are or not. How would you be able to tell?

El Cid
01-19-2016, 06:34 PM
That looks really good. I like the stock. How are you planning on heading spacing the barrel/receiver? I am not sold yet to which I want to do I like the idea of making it a bolt gun.

Thanks. My research indicated its a plug and play installation. I don't really see how you could adjust headspace on a clamp like that but maybe I'm missing something?

Josh Runkle
01-19-2016, 07:02 PM
I have a GemTech Oasis-R. Same thing. It's fun.

HCM
01-19-2016, 07:07 PM
I am not sure if they are or not. How would you be able to tell?

I have swapped a few 10/22 barrele and they all were "plug and play' / fixed head space.

With an AR for example, you cant really adjust head space, you can check with gauges but the gauges basically just confirm the chamber etc. are all in spec.

_JD_
01-19-2016, 09:20 PM
Pretty sure the rim / straight walled case takes care of that issue

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

nalesq
01-19-2016, 09:34 PM
Are integrated silencer rifle barrels like the ones being described in this thread significantly quieter than simply screwing on a decent silencer onto a rifle?

El Cid
01-19-2016, 10:43 PM
Are integrated silencer rifle barrels like the ones being described in this thread significantly quieter than simply screwing on a decent silencer onto a rifle?

Everything I found says yes. When you look at them without the shroud, they have pretty near twice the volume of a thread-on can.

http://www.gem-tech.com/store/pc/MIST-22-p929.htm

Andy in NH
01-20-2016, 11:14 AM
I bought the Mist-22 back in October but am still waiting on ATF.

I'm also waiting on the ATF for the take-down version of the MIST-22.

taadski
01-20-2016, 11:59 AM
Somebody talk me through the logic of the integral suppressor concept. I get that they can eliminate the need for subs in some cases via the porting mentioned. But given how quiet most .22 cans are anyway and limiting the ability to move it around from gun to gun, is it really worth the squeeze? Honestly just wondering.

El Cid
01-20-2016, 01:16 PM
Somebody talk me through the logic of the integral suppressor concept. I get that they can eliminate the need for subs in some cases via the porting mentioned. But given how quiet most .22 cans are anyway and limiting the ability to move it around from gun to gun, is it really worth the squeeze? Honestly just wondering.

Whether it's worth it I can't yet say. But a friend has the Tac-Sol bbl with the shroud that keeps it at 16" when using a can. The other option is a 16" bbl with a can on the end. When I priced it out the integral can wasn't that much more and keeps the OAL of the rifle down. And I think the Tac-Sol shroud bbl looks ridiculous without a suppressor.

Another advantage is that it looks to the uninformed like a bull bbl 10/22 and won't scare the bleeding heart hippies. And as mentioned above - it's significantly more quiet than a thread-on can. I already have an Outback IID so moving the Mist-22 to other hosts wasn't a concern.

taadski
01-20-2016, 03:58 PM
Whether it's worth it I can't yet say. But a friend has the Tac-Sol bbl with the shroud that keeps it at 16" when using a can. The other option is a 16" bbl with a can on the end. When I priced it out the integral can wasn't that much more and keeps the OAL of the rifle down. And I think the Tac-Sol shroud bbl looks ridiculous without a suppressor.

I owned an SBX barrel on a Tacsol conversion and had some issues with it. Most notably, with only 1/2" or so of the can to hang on to, it was hard to get snug enough that it wouldn't shoot loose-----> possibility of baffle or end cap strikes. Also the shroud made cleaning the threads, etc… a royal PITA. To the extent I went back to a standard 16" barrel with pleasure. Just FWIW. OAL wasn't something I'd considered re the integral. Makes sense.

And copy re the noise. I've always been pretty happy with my Outback's reduction, but if you truly want hollywood quiet with a rifle with regular velocity ammo, I guess I get it. That said, being able to go back and forth between guns is an important factor for me. Just wondering what other's take was. Thanks.

Another advantage is that it looks to the uninformed like a bull bbl 10/22 and won't scare the bleeding heart hippies.

That's on the plus list, right? :cool:

t

SteveB
01-20-2016, 04:10 PM

I've had a couple of integral-suppressed guns, and they are a pain to clean. The way these new cans come apart for cleaning, as well as the ability to move a can from gun to gun makes the decision easy for me.

El Cid
01-20-2016, 05:53 PM
I've had a couple of integral-suppressed guns, and they are a pain to clean. The way these new cans come apart for cleaning, as well as the ability to move a can from gun to gun makes the decision easy for me.

Have you seen the Gem-tech Mist-22? It is very easy to disassemble and clean.

SteveB
01-20-2016, 07:44 PM
Have you seen the Gem-tech Mist-22? It is very easy to disassemble and clean.

That does answer one problem.

SLG
01-20-2016, 09:57 PM
I prefer removable cans most of the time, but that's just me. The only integrally suppressed 22 I've ever had was an MP5-SD3. Shot like a 22, at any rate:-) Didn't know they were supposed to be cleaned. Actually, iirc, the SD was very easy to take apart for cleaning. It's been a few years now, and cleaning is not a memorable event for me.

hrt4me
02-20-2016, 11:19 PM
I have two SWR integrally-suppressed 10/22 barrels, one blued and the other stainless... no issues at all with them in over a decade of ownership and thousands of rounds of .22lr fired