PDA

View Full Version : MRO

breakingtime91
01-18-2016, 05:32 PM
Now that its been out for a little while, hows it working out?

Clusterfrack
01-18-2016, 05:57 PM
I like mine. The dot is very crisp, and the field of view is a little bigger than my T1.

StraitR
01-18-2016, 05:58 PM
Nice, this is a subject I have been pondering for a couple weeks. I've used my T2 twice for hunting, and simply find it too dark in failing light without supplementing with a white light, which is a no-go. I looked through my bosses MRO when it was delivered to our office, and it has a much broader FOV, so I'm thinking it will be a better option.

Thanks for posting this BT.

LittleLebowski
01-18-2016, 06:23 PM
Seeing lots of issues reported elsewhere.

Hauptmann
01-18-2016, 06:25 PM
Seeing lots of issues reported elsewhere.

Same here. Like anything made by Trijicon, it is reported to be reliable and durable. The problems that I have read are that it isn't a true 1x and has some distortion at times as though it were a 1.1-1.2. When a 3x magnifier is put behind it that distortion seems to get worse.

MVS
01-18-2016, 06:46 PM
Same here. Like anything made by Trijicon, it is reported to be reliable and durable. The problems that I have read are that it isn't a true 1x and has some distortion at times as though it were a 1.1-1.2. When a 3x magnifier is put behind it that distortion seems to get worse.

That is among the biggest complaints long with the too blue tint and fragile battery contacts. Not sure if I mentioned it here or not but I was actually going to buy one at the LGS when the store owner put the battery in to show me and broke two contacts off. That being said I know a guy who has 4 of them and really likes them. Interestingly he broke some contacts off of his as well.

Clusterfrack
01-18-2016, 06:58 PM
I didn't have any trouble installing the battery. I suppose I'm used to working with small parts but it didn't seem that hard.

Gray222
01-18-2016, 07:45 PM
I have one and have been beating it up every chance i get. No issues so far. Not as crisp of a rds as a t2 though, but for what you get and what you pay, its a steal.

Unobtanium
01-18-2016, 08:39 PM
I looked through one at a Nightfighter course. It's good competition for some crap out of China, I guess. I've become increasingly anti-Trijicon after the SRS, especially VCOG, and now the abortion that is the MRO? THAT one didn't win me back over, lol!

-Notable fish-eye
-Very blue tint
-Small amount of phoria
-general internet reports of them shitting the bed, which, I normally would discount if all of the other internet "problems" weren't also readily manifest when I used it.

The dot was decently round. Yay.

In short, I view the MRO like I do Cooper sports-car tires. Really shitty options...made in 'Murica! I love me some American-made, but I'd like high quality stuff, so I'll pass.

Wayne Dobbs
01-18-2016, 08:55 PM
Add fragile battery compartment components and the fact that it is a MAGNIFIED sight (despite their claims), which brings in parallax issues among other things. Like was said by Unobtanium, it's good competition for the Chinese junk.

NickDrak
01-19-2016, 12:09 AM
Been happy with mine so far. Bluish tint is nearly identical to the T1's I've owned and not distracting at all. I don't notice the fisheye effect at all. All non-magnified optics have some amount of parallax from what I have seen when shooting beyond 50yds.

When the temp goes above zero here I will test my MRO @ 100yds to see how much parallax affects POI.

Unobtanium
01-19-2016, 05:28 AM
Add fragile battery compartment components and the fact that it is a MAGNIFIED sight (despite their claims), which brings in parallax issues among other things. Like was said by Unobtanium, it's good competition for the Chinese junk.

Trijicon does not claim it is not magnified. They instead claim that it IS a magnified optic.

texasaggie2005
01-19-2016, 08:46 AM
I feel that the MRO I bought last September was a solid upgrade from my Aimpoint H1. None of the purported issues have impacted my shooting in any measurable way, so I'm going to carry on with it until it fails.

FWIW, Trijicon has a addressed the reported issues (https://www.trijicon.com/na_en/support/faq_MRO.php), and their explanations jive with the results Digital_Damage (http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?172442-New-Trijicon-RDS&p=2207477#post2207477) on M4C found when he tested the MRO against a T1.

Grizzly21
01-22-2016, 09:11 AM
I ordered an MRO in September and received same in November. It sat in the safe until late December and when I retrieved same to mount on rifle to T&E it would not work. I changed the battery thinking it may be old and or detefective and same would still not work. I returned same for a full refund.

StraitR
01-22-2016, 02:20 PM
I ordered an MRO in September and received same in November. It sat in the safe until late December and when I retrieved same to mount on rifle to T&E it would not work. I changed the battery thinking it may be old and or detefective and same would still not work. I returned same for a full refund.

I have also heard this complaint elsewhere. There's a LEO armorer on another site (can't remember which) that's had 4 out 24(ish) agency MRO's go tits up, one of which was found DOA when replacing another broken unit. That's approaching a 20% failure rate, within their unit examples. He's working with Trijicon on the issues, and he says they've been responsive. Could be a bad run, who knows, but I'm not ready to buy one as of yet.

I. am. disappoint.

Unobtanium
01-22-2016, 07:11 PM
I have also heard this complaint elsewhere. There's a LEO armorer on another site (can't remember which) that's had 4 out 24(ish) agency MRO's go tits up, one of which was found DOA when replacing another broken unit. That's approaching a 20% failure rate, within their unit examples. He's working with Trijicon on the issues, and he says they've been responsive. Could be a bad run, who knows, but I'm not ready to buy one as of yet.

I. am. disappoint.

You find a sight DOA using it to replace another site that is dead, and it's not a "bad run", it's "terrible QA/QC".

Eli
01-24-2016, 01:49 AM
The only issue I've had (this popped up during a low-light carbine class), is that it isn't the greatest at night. Even on an outdoor range, after several rounds, the blue tint on the MRO made it quite difficult to see through the smoke......noticeably more difficult than through my Comp M2 or M4. In all fairness, I've never even looked through an Aimpoint Micro for comparison, but those are my observations. Bottom line is that my 30mm Aimpoints are staying on my "go to" carbines, while the MRO is going to get stuck onto something that has a much less serious use.

breakingtime91
01-24-2016, 02:19 AM
The only issue I've had (this popped up during a low-light carbine class), is that it isn't the greatest at night. Even on an outdoor range, after several rounds, the blue tint on the MRO made it quite difficult to see through the smoke......noticeably more difficult than through my Comp M2 or M4. In all fairness, I've never even looked through an Aimpoint Micro for comparison, but those are my observations. Bottom line is that my 30mm Aimpoints are staying on my "go to" carbines, while the MRO is going to get stuck onto something that has a much less serious use.

I like the pro much more then a micro... so I know what you mean

StraitR
01-24-2016, 01:07 PM

So, do you feel the blue tint makes the MRO darker at night, or was the difficulty only due to the smoke? I'm considering an MRO to replace a T2 that I feel is too dark at night without using a white light. If it can't perform any better, I'm not interested.

Maybe I should look harder at a Pro, although I'm not interested in stocking a third type of battery.

Eli
01-24-2016, 04:40 PM
So, do you feel the blue tint makes the MRO darker at night, or was the difficulty only due to the smoke? I'm considering an MRO to replace a T2 that I feel is too dark at night without using a white light. If it can't perform any better, I'm not interested.

It was fine for a few rounds, but once you got through about 8 or so, it seems as if the tint and the smoke are almost the same color. Instead of being able to see the smoke and what was through it, it was like trying to look through an opaque liquid. I will point out that the stage that it occurred on (positional shooting through the cut-outs in a V-Tac board) had the target at 100 yards, and that at HD distances it would've probably been fine.......but I ran the stage back to back, MRO then Comp M4 (same ammo, same lube on the carbines, same gas system, same light on the guns), and the M4 was noticeably clearer.

HCM
01-24-2016, 10:33 PM

Maybe I should look harder at a Pro, although I'm not interested in stocking a third type of battery.

Worth a look - Takes AA's. http://clydearmory.com/used-aimpoint-comp-m4s-agency-trade-3796.html?SID=l4rr06lhjdta3u8m9ru3ha17g0

Eli
01-30-2016, 05:04 PM
Gotta say, the more I use my MRO, the less I like it.

When shooting just the MRO, the distortion/magnification is not really an issue. Today though, in the nice clear sunshine, shooting the MRO back to back with a couple of Aimpoints....the distortion/fisheye shit is EXTREMLY irritating.

StraitR
02-04-2016, 09:08 PM
Worth a look - Takes AA's. http://clydearmory.com/used-aimpoint-comp-m4s-agency-trade-3796.html?SID=l4rr06lhjdta3u8m9ru3ha17g0

Sorry, I missed this. Thanks.

breakingtime91
02-10-2016, 10:27 AM
Man, that stinks. I really like trijicon so I hope its not all of the MROs that suffer from these issues. Seems like quite a few people are happy with them.

R.M.T.
02-11-2016, 12:14 PM
I bought one a while ago, I have yet to mount it, mainly because I very satisfied with the LPV on the gun I've been running for about 8 months exclusively. My current problem with it, is the lack of dot refinement that can be had, particularly when compared with Trijicon's LPVs or Aimpoints.

Also it might just be my eye, the magnification that does exist in it actually looks negative to me, something like .9x, hence why I think it has such a fisheye look about it. Doesn't really bother me given how much time I've spent with wide angle camera lenses. I should have a mount tomorrow, I'll throw it on and give a more complete opinion.

breakingtime91
02-23-2016, 09:56 AM
I don't know if I have ever seen such a split opinion about an optic before. I have been researching this for the past couple of weeks when I have free time and there are plenty of opinions both ways.

R.M.T.
02-23-2016, 12:09 PM
Currently have mine on a BoBro mount, the mount I love. I'm still getting sorted with the actual optic. I need to do some know distance and measure the dot where I'm comfortable with it in conditions. The blue tint doesn't bug me. I hate the power level adjustment, not linear at all. The dot either doesn't exist or seems too big. I don't know if I'll buy another, doubt it. t-2 is a much better option and worth the up charge.

rob_s
02-24-2016, 05:44 AM
I don't know if I have ever seen such a split opinion about an optic before. I have been researching this for the past couple of weeks when I have free time and there are plenty of opinions both ways.

Not terribly uncommon with a new product and early adopters. Some are so unwilling to admit they made a bad choice that they'll excuse any flaw, and some were only buying so they could say with authority that their forgone conclusion of the item being a POS was correct.

LittleLebowski
02-24-2016, 09:07 AM
I'd just buy a used Aimpoint if considering something in this price range.

BWT
02-24-2016, 11:49 PM
Not terribly uncommon with a new product and early adopters. Some are so unwilling to admit they made a bad choice that they'll excuse any flaw, and some were only buying so they could say with authority that their forgone conclusion of the item being a POS was correct.

I believe we're at the point that Red Dots are mature, light, and durable but not every manufacturer is on the same level.

However, the ones that are seeing approval for widespread military use and law enforcement aren't really changing (in fact if you consider EOTech's current situation it's shrinking).

I think that the verdict is still a little early for the MRO but it seems like people were very quick to make direct comparisons of them to a model that's been out for over 3-5 years (I couldn't find the initial release date for the T1) and for a company that's been making Dot Scopes since 1975.

I really like and respect Trijicon, and I was on the fence about the MRO myself; I really wanted that optic to work. But the contacts issue, fish-eye issue, and the T-2/H2's coming with scope caps and improvements for astigmatisms (I have them); I passed for now.

I like Trijicon more than Aimpoint. However, when it came time to spend money; I just kind of came to terms with what the situation is today I didn't.

I also think that we need thorough/standardized testing across different model red dots to establish a baseline; I think we see a lot of "just as good as" going around and it reminds me of the days before wide spread information on the internet regarding AR-15's and DPMS and Bushmaster. There's still a lot of "Well... so and so never had any issues" or "it's just as good as Colt (or in this case Aimpoint)".

Disclaimer: AR-15's and RDS aren't an Apple to Apples comparison but I feel that we're at a similar junction as consumers in our understanding as we were back then.

God Bless,

Brandon

HCM
03-13-2016, 01:36 AM
Sorry, I missed this. Thanks.

https://www.recoilgunworks.com/trade-aimpoint-compm4-sight-p-29621.html