PDA

View Full Version : Apex upgrades for Walther PPQ

gtmtnbiker98
01-17-2016, 10:01 PM
Little conflicted about this. They are advertising an even shorter reset.

http://www.downrange.tv/blog/apex-announces-new-trigger-for-walther-ppq/36408/

olstyn
01-17-2016, 10:24 PM
If there was ever a gun that doesn't need a shorter reset, it's the PPQ/P99. I'd guess it's probably about once every 2 months that someone shows up on the Walther forums asking about why their gun fired 2 shots when they (thought) they only pulled the trigger once. Heck, this month, someone claimed that their P99 fired a 5 round burst, and someone else claimed that their PPQ .45 did a 4-round burst. Obviously I can't prove what exactly happened in either case, but I bet once this Apex trigger starts to be widespread in the wild, we'll hear such stories even more frequently over there.

GJM
01-17-2016, 10:25 PM
Will this new product require NFA paperwork?

olstyn
01-17-2016, 10:31 PM
GJM, you almost never fail to give me a laugh when you deadpan like that. Thanks man. :)

warpedcamshaft
01-18-2016, 01:33 AM

Damn fine work sir... Top Notch... A+

Trooper224
01-18-2016, 01:38 AM
If it can be messed with, and up, someone will do it. Having spent the last two months living with and carrying the PPQ, I can't see any "improvement" to the trigger being any such thing. I'm comfortable with the trigger in it's stock form and I don't think it's a good carry choice for an amateur, but an even shorter reset? Bad juju I think.

GardoneVT
01-18-2016, 02:01 AM
Little conflicted about this. They are advertising an even shorter reset.

http://www.downrange.tv/blog/apex-announces-new-trigger-for-walther-ppq/36408/

Coming soon to a range bulletin board near you:

"NO WALTHER PPQ PISTOLS ALLOWED"

Casual Friday
01-18-2016, 06:14 AM
If there was ever a gun that doesn't need a shorter reset, it's the PPQ/P99. I'd guess it's probably about once every 2 months that someone shows up on the Walther forums asking about why their gun fired 2 shots when they (thought) they only pulled the trigger once. Heck, this month, someone claimed that their P99 fired a 5 round burst, and someone else claimed that their PPQ .45 did a 4-round burst. Obviously I can't prove what exactly happened in either case, but I bet once this Apex trigger starts to be widespread in the wild, we'll hear such stories even more frequently over there.

Yeah I remember when the PPQ came out. It seemed like of the 4 or 5 forums I visited reading up on the PPQ during that time (2011-ish?), someone on each had the unintentional double tap.

45dotACP
01-18-2016, 10:32 AM
Only if you shoulder it...

ralph
01-18-2016, 11:28 AM
Yeah I remember when the PPQ came out. It seemed like of the 4 or 5 forums I visited reading up on the PPQ during that time (2011-ish?), someone on each had the unintentional double tap.

That's one of the reasons I got rid of mine...After putting about 1000rnds or so through it, the trigger seemed to lighten up a bit, maybe too light. It wasn't unusual for me to get at least one unintentional double tap when out running some drills. I quit carrying it, and later sold it.. The PPQ is one pistol that dosen't need a shorter reset.

Hot Sauce
01-18-2016, 11:37 AM
Only if you shoulder it...

With the thing that goes up...

Seriously though, there is no reason to improve the PPQ trigger's characteristics IMO.

JackRock
01-18-2016, 11:46 AM
No way in hell.

I love my PPQ - even carrying it right now. But I've had three unintentional double-taps (in almost 20 months). I haven't had any in about four months, but I still wouldn't want to lighten or shorten the trigger pull any more.

Danjojo
01-18-2016, 01:02 PM
Seems like striker pistols with 5lb-ish resistance and hardly any take-up are becoming popular...difference to a cocked hammer-fired pistol is continuously diminishing. I don't think it's sound judgment personally.

Hot Sauce
01-18-2016, 01:21 PM
Seems like striker pistols with 5lb-ish resistance and hardly any take-up are becoming popular...difference to a cocked hammer-fired pistol is continuously diminishing. I don't think it's sound judgment personally.

Compared to other striker pistols, the take up on the PPQ does not strike me (get it?) as too short. It is light, but longer than VP9 before breaking, for example. People's theories on this vary, but I know Ernest Langdon and Nyeti seem to emphasize the distance rather than weight as the important safety factor.

45dotACP
01-18-2016, 05:16 PM
The quest for a 1911 style trigger in a plastic fantastic is almost completely devoid of any kind of 1911 style safety.

Looking at you Sig and Walther...

Hot Sauce
01-18-2016, 05:59 PM
The quest for a 1911 style trigger in a plastic fantastic is almost completely devoid of any kind of 1911 style safety.

Looking at you Sig and Walther...

One of the things that makes a 1911 trigger what it is, is that it does not pivot. Without replicating that, I doubt a similar weight/break can achieve the same feel.

45dotACP
01-18-2016, 06:05 PM
True, but that won't stop them from taking all possible overtravel out of a 4-5lb trigger...essentially giving you a cocked Sig or Beretta with no safety. Not my cup of tea. The first DA shot on a DA/SA isn't that tough to deal with and neither is a thumb safety.

No lie, I'd be all over a Sig 320 with a thumb safety like cheap cologne.

Sent from my VS876 using Tapatalk

Hot Sauce
01-18-2016, 06:26 PM
True, but that won't stop them from taking all possible overtravel out of a 4-5lb trigger...essentially giving you a cocked Sig or Beretta with no safety. Not my cup of tea. The first DA shot on a DA/SA isn't that tough to deal with and neither is a thumb safety.

No lie, I'd be all over a Sig 320 with a thumb safety like cheap cologne.

Sent from my VS876 using Tapatalk

Offhand, I can't think of many safety designs that feel as well placed as a 1911. Besides for the M&P perhaps.

okie john
01-18-2016, 07:27 PM

Agree 100%.

Never thought I say that there was anything good about a Glock trigger, but people grow, I guess.

Okie John