PDA

View Full Version : "Making a Murderer"

Chance
01-16-2016, 04:24 PM
I could have sworn I saw a thread about this on here, but I guess not. Anyone watching this? Thoughts?

I finished it last weekend. Entertaining, and put together well, although obviously very biased (and it left out some key evidence against the accused). While the investigation had some bizarre twists in it, the documentary did nothing to convince me that Steven Avery was innocent. His defense team didn't even adopt their own narrative of what happened, they just tried to insert reasonable doubt into everything the investigators did.

His nephew though, I'm not so sure about. He seemed effectively MR, and I'm kind of curious how competency to stand trial works. The actions of his first defense attorney (letting him be interviewed without counsel present) do seem to warrant a new trial.

Casual Friday
01-16-2016, 05:10 PM
In my own research in addition to the Netflix documentary, I believe he was innocent in the first case, guilty of the second.

Maple Syrup Actual
01-16-2016, 05:13 PM
In my own research in addition to the Netflix documentary, I believe he was innocent in the first case, guilty of the second.
Yeah, that's pretty much my read on it.

voodoo_man
01-16-2016, 05:32 PM
Its very interesting that someone can make a movie about an event, especially when law enforcement is in the mix, and get all sorts of attention, especially if they alleged wrong doing on the part of LE.

I've seen many of these types of things pop up, most don't pass the smell test at first glance to anyone who has experience investigating anything. Watch anything that has to do with other murderers like Wesley Cook, they always leave out specific golden nuggets that were the nail in the coffin for these murderers.

Chance
01-16-2016, 05:32 PM

Absolutely innocent in the first case. The fact that it came down to a single pubic hair is enthralling. (As a side note, I did some work with the local chapter of the Innocence Project as an undergraduate, and met a guy named Johnnie Lindsey. In prison 27 years for a rape he definitively did not commit. I was 23 when I met the guy. I'm not what you would call a bleeding heart, but nobody deserves that.)

I think the fact that a lot of the "activists" have appealed to Obama, who couldn't do anything about the case if he wanted to, says pretty much everything you need to know about Avery's advocates.

Its very interesting that someone can make a movie about an event, especially when law enforcement is in the mix, and get all sorts of attention, especially if they alleged wrong doing on the part of LE. I've seen many of these types of things pop up, most don't pass the smell test at first glance to anyone who has experience investigating anything.

I'm with you for the most part, but I think in this case, I'd have to disagree. The local sheriff's department should have completely recused themselves from the investigation, and they did not. I think if this trial was in a super-liberal, #blacklivesmatter part of the country, Avery would have walked because of their behavior.

DMF13
01-16-2016, 05:42 PM
https://www.yahoo.com/tv/steven-averys-ex-fiancee-believes-hes-guilty-043213360.html

voodoo_man
01-16-2016, 05:52 PM
I'm with you for the most part, but I think in this case, I'd have to disagree. The local sheriff's department should have completely recused themselves from the investigation, and they did not. I think if this trial was in a super-liberal, #blacklivesmatter part of the country, Avery would have walked because of their behavior.

I skimmed through some of the series, I found it very boring and stupid for the most part, so I do not know every single aspect of the investigation, I just don't care enough and merely making conversation on the matter at this point.

What I do know, and any LEO on here who has ever done any sort of violent felony level investigation can back me up, the fact he was charged meant that there was enough evidence to sustain such charges. There are so many checks and balances that go into an investigation of this level, so many hands in it that can kill the whole case with a swipe of a pen, and so much that can (and a lot of times does) go wrong which leads into the case going cold.

Allegations of police planting evidence and misconduct, nitpicking specific things to show video about or talk about some crap that doesn't matter at all to anyone who investigated the case.

As for trial in a super-liberal part of the country, I can tell you that him being white, he get's the same as everyone else. Only when the defendant is a minority, and a specific minority in a specific area, will get there even be a point to be made on credibility.

Lon
01-16-2016, 06:03 PM
I've watched the first 4 episodes. Thoughts so far:

Innocent in first case. Shitty "investigation" by the SO back then.

Second case, my gut tells me he's guilty. Not sure on the juvi. Piece of shit lawyer for that kid to start with. WTF? Shit bird trying to get his 15 minutes of fame to help his political career. Needs his ass beat and disbarred. I have problems with the Manitowoc SO being anywhere near that crime scene. They should have turned it over to the State completely.

My wife agrees. She's ready to kill that attorney. We're watching a couple episodes a night. She's a victim advocate so we have some interesting conversations over dinner and after my daughter goes to bed.

DMF13
01-17-2016, 01:32 AM
http://news.yahoo.com/making-murderer-brendan-dassey-confession-viewers-didnt-see-170000845.html

Chance
01-17-2016, 11:59 AM
http://news.yahoo.com/making-murderer-brendan-dassey-confession-viewers-didnt-see-170000845.html

I think most of that made it into the series. Guy changed his story so many times I'm reluctant to trust anything he says. It may have been skewing from the filmmakers, but he genuinely didn't seem to understand what was going on. And his story about all of that happening in the trailer didn't make sense, as they never found physical evidence of the attack inside, and neither one of those guys seemed smart enough to effectively scrub a crime scene.

Lon
01-17-2016, 02:18 PM
Made it thru a couple more episodes last night. The Manitowoc SO should not have had anything to do with that case. Too many questionable things going on for my liking.

Chance
08-12-2016, 05:38 PM
The conviction of the young accomplice has been overturned. From BBC News (http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-37066686):

A US federal judge has overturned the murder conviction of Brendan Dassey, whose case was examined in Netflix's popular Making a Murderer documentary.

Following the ruling by the judge in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, Dassey, 26, will be released within 90 days, unless the state decides to retry him.

Dassey and his uncle Steven Avery were convicted of murdering young woman Teresa Hallbach in 2005.

Avery and Dassey, who was 16 at the time, were sentenced to life in prison.

Chance
11-14-2016, 03:58 PM
Brendan Dassey has been released from prison. From BBC News (http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-37980721):

A US judge has ordered the immediate prison release of Brendan Dassey, whose case featured in Netflix's Making a Murderer documentary.

The Wisconsin man's murder conviction was overturned this summer, however, prosecutors are appealing.

The 27-year-old, who has learning difficulties, and his uncle Steven Avery were convicted of murdering a young woman, Teresa Halbach, in 2005.

The series didn't show me anything to convince me Dassey wasn't involved, but the dude definitely deserves a new trial. His defense attorney was terrible.

I'm guessing he's going to have some high profile super-lawyer represent him free of charge, or if not, there'll be a Kickstarter campaign to hire one. I seriously doubt he's headed back to prison.

LostDuke
11-15-2016, 12:52 AM

What I do know, and any LEO on here who has ever done any sort of violent felony level investigation can back me up, the fact he was charged meant that there was enough evidence to sustain such charges. There are so many checks and balances that go into an investigation of this level, so many hands in it that can kill the whole case with a swipe of a pen, and so much that can (and a lot of times does) go wrong which leads into the case going cold.

Allegations of police planting evidence and misconduct, nitpicking specific things to show video about or talk about some crap that doesn't matter at all to anyone who investigated the case.

Why not? All that nitpicking from the defense, it's so boring. We could actually save a lot of money by closing down the entire judicial branch. If the police has charged somebody that person is guilty. The officer arrests, the sergeant declares the perp guilty and the Captain passes the sentence. Case closed.

There you go. Saved some money, eliminated the nitpicking. As long as the 2nd is safe, it's all good.

Wondering Beard
11-15-2016, 10:09 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvJiYrRcfQo

MistWolf
11-15-2016, 12:19 PM
Why not? All that nitpicking from the defense, it's so boring. We could actually save a lot of money by closing down the entire judicial branch. If the police has charged somebody that person is guilty. The officer arrests, the sergeant declares the perp guilty and the Captain passes the sentence. Case closed.

There you go. Saved some money, eliminated the nitpicking. As long as the 2nd is safe, it's all good.

It's a long stretch to turn "enough evidence to sustain charges" into "enough evidence to lock'em away without a trial"