PDA

View Full Version : Prescription Shooting Glasses Problem

Flashman
01-16-2016, 11:45 AM
Like many of you, I am nearsighted and wear glasses full time for distance. I have been using safely glasses over my regular glasses when shooting. Because I wanted better vision, safer lens, etc. and more comfort, I purchased very expensive single lens prescription sports/shooting/safety glasses. The lens are curved. The visual acuity seems excellent and the peripheral vision is incredible. However, when focusing on the front sight, the dot becomes two dots side by side. This double effect is not present with my regular glasses.

Any thoughts on what this might be? Glare or reflection?

RJ
01-16-2016, 03:10 PM
I'm no optician, but this is through one eye open, right? Or both open?

Might be the image of the sight refracting off both the front and rear lens surfaces?

Maybe ask the glasses makers if they've seen this before?

I cheaped out (being a retiree :cool:) and bought some +1.5 safety/reading glasses to help me see the sights last week. Still getting used to them, but they do seem to help.

There is another thread on vision with nearsighted shooters, will see if I can locate it.

EDIT: Here it is:

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?18702-Nearsightedness-Eyes-and-Shooting

SecondsCount
01-16-2016, 03:47 PM
Are you certain that the new glasses are the same prescription. It sounds like the new ones are a little more powerful.

Do you have some contacts? I put a contact in one eye for distance and leave the other out for the front sight, etc.

farscott
01-16-2016, 05:28 PM
It appears that the optical center of one of the lenses is not aligned with the pupil, shifting the image to one of your eyes enough that your brain "sees" two front sights. I suspect the lenses have a fair amount of curvature due to the frame shape and are not well suited to your head size and pupil distance.

Vinh
01-16-2016, 06:14 PM
Check yourself and see if your head/eye position changes at all when aiming firearms. The optical center may have been calculated when you were in a relaxed, fully upright position.

BCGlocker
01-16-2016, 06:44 PM
Like many of you, I am nearsighted and wear glasses full time for distance. I have been using safely glasses over my regular glasses when shooting. Because I wanted better vision, safer lens, etc. and more comfort, I purchased very expensive single lens prescription sports/shooting/safety glasses. The lens are curved. The visual acuity seems excellent and the peripheral vision is incredible. However, when focusing on the front sight, the dot becomes two dots side by side. This double effect is not present with my regular glasses.

Any thoughts on what this might be? Glare or reflection?

I am nearsighted, so I can see my front sight but the targets are blurring. I just use regular safety shooting glasses and superimpose over center mass of targets. I do fairly well in IPSC and IDPA up to 25 yrs. However, it was challenging why shoot CHL qualification because I can't see the X-ring at 15 yds.

rdtompki
01-16-2016, 09:14 PM
Did you purchase these glasses online or through your regular optician? Interpupillary Distance (IPD) is the distance between your "eyes" and does vary. So, as described above you may have two things going on. If your head is rotated you wouldn't be looking through the center of the lens. If the lenses are not ground to the correct IPD that could cause a problem. Do you experience double imaging with these glasses when your looking at a printed page at the same distance as your front sight?

Flashman
01-16-2016, 11:22 PM
Both my everyday glasses and new shooting glasses are the same prescription. Both were purchased locally and not online.

I did a test. Without glasses and both eyes open or dominant eye only, the dot on front sight at a full arm's length is one dot. It is the same with my everyday glasses. The new shooting glasses with the pistol directly in front of my face at arm's length, the front sight is less distinct than in the prior two tests (no glasses and everyday glasses) and there are two dots side by side. The view is the same with both eyes open or the non-dominant eye closed. However, when the gun is moved to the right with my face forward but my eye following the front sight, somewhere around 45 degrees from facing forward, the two dots become one.

And after reading rdtompki's post again--yes at the same arm length's distance as a front sight, letters on a page also appear double.

Thanks for all of your help. It appears the IDP is incorrect.