PDA

View Full Version : Does one REALLY need a dust cover and forward assist?

23JAZ
01-15-2016, 07:42 PM
Title says it all. Does the average joe really need a dust cover or forward assist for a HD / range / coyote shooting AR? I've come across an M&P 15 Sport for $500 bucks and wondering if it's worth it. One part of me is thinkin why not I hardly use those on the gun I have now. The other part of me is say but you live in AZ there's sand everywhere.

Paul D
01-15-2016, 07:52 PM
The forward assist is unnecessary. The dust cover is probably important if you are going to really expose it a lot of dust and grit. If you carry it around in a case and store it indoors, then no.

JSGlock34
01-15-2016, 08:06 PM
Apparently Colt is taking a page from S&W and introducing the budget priced M4 Expanse (http://www.colt.com/Catalog/Rifles/Expanse™M4.aspx) without dust cover or forward assist.

Unobtanium
01-15-2016, 08:13 PM
I've frequently used my FA with a dirty rifle on reloads to strip the top round.

SLG
01-15-2016, 08:19 PM
Does one really need a military based weapon? I'm not being flip, what do you need the gun for? That will answer the question.

DI1
01-15-2016, 08:36 PM
You should ask Pat Rogers this question. ;)

LOKNLOD
01-15-2016, 08:43 PM
It's interesting that they don't show the port side of the gun, and it says it "can be upgraded with a cover and forward assist". I wonder how it's actually configured.

ffhounddog
01-15-2016, 09:01 PM
I would buy it and add the dust civer in my parts bin. I want another colt.

BehindBlueI's
01-15-2016, 09:53 PM
Need for light use? Probably not.

I wouldn't personally own an AR without them, though. A mix of habit, military indoctrination, and just 'cuz if not necessarily based on realistic needs for a light use weapon.

Jay Cunningham
01-15-2016, 10:03 PM
Title says it all. Does the average joe really need a dust cover or forward assist for a HD / range / coyote shooting AR? I've come across an M&P 15 Sport for $500 bucks and wondering if it's worth it. One part of me is thinkin why not I hardly use those on the gun I have now. The other part of me is say but you live in AZ there's sand everywhere.

Nope.

I do use the forward assist on my ARs after I do a chamber check to ensure it's in battery. It wouldn't matter to me if any of my ARs had dust covers.

Gray222
01-15-2016, 10:15 PM
Forward assist? For press checks.

Dust cover? Close it when not firing so it keeps running.

breakingtime91
01-15-2016, 10:17 PM
both are a need in my book. One keeps shit out, which to me is important and don't see a reason why you wouldn't have one... The other insures that the gun is absolutely, no doubt in battery. No question, I want them.

GJM
01-15-2016, 10:33 PM
As pointed out previously, the dust cover is mandatory for a Pat Rogers class. Here is a good secondary use:

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg251/GJMandes/image_zps7y6vmuag.jpeg (http://s250.photobucket.com/user/GJMandes/media/image_zps7y6vmuag.jpeg.html)

SecondsCount
01-15-2016, 11:18 PM
I rarely use a forward assist but out here in the West, chasing things in the high desert, the dust cover definitely gets used.

ReverendMeat
01-16-2016, 01:35 AM
I use the forward assist.

Dust cover, I just like for the aesthetics.

Chuck Haggard
01-16-2016, 09:10 AM
IMHO the forward assist has never been needed and just adds a snag point to the gun.

The dust cover was something that I thought mandatory, now I am not so sure after testing my S&W Sport for quite awhile.

Throwing dirt, sand, gravel right onto the BCG through the no dust cover ejection port and then shooting the gun, and doing so multiple times, yields zero issues noted so far.

Hambo
01-16-2016, 10:11 AM
I could live without them on some oddball caliber varmint AR that was always clean.

Training and OCD might cause me to freak out if they weren't on a duty rifle.

Cookie Monster
01-16-2016, 11:34 AM
I don't know much about AR's and less about their parts. My Thunder Ranch edition rifles don't have forward assists, Clint Smith has thought about AR's a time or two.

breakingtime91
01-16-2016, 11:45 AM
I don't know much about AR's and less about their parts. My Thunder Ranch edition rifles don't have forward assists, Clint Smith has thought about AR's a time or two.

I have no doubt he has. I really respect clint smith but disagree on this. I found the forward assist to be really useful after press checking at night to double check that the gun was in battery. It also helps put the gun in battery when you have fine dirt/crud in the lugs. My opinion is based off using the rifle in a different country so I could see the argument that you may not need these features. Interesting thread.

DacoRoman
01-16-2016, 12:26 PM
I like the FBA for ensuring the bolt being in battery after the press check, and I like closing the dust cover at the end of the loading sequence signifying the weapon is now charged and chambered.

Malamute
01-16-2016, 01:49 PM
I have none but casual field use, but have used the forward assist a number of times, and have used my thumb in the cutout of the bolt to close it on earlier Colt SP-1s. I much prefer to have the forward assist than try to close the bolt with the thumb in the cutout method. It was always on chambering the first round, either with the gun dirty, or in the cold. I started leaving one round out of the mag and it helped, but didn't entirely eliminate the need. When shooting, I've hever used or needed it, just chambering the first round to get the bolt completely closed.

I can see the forward assist plunger being a possible hang-up point, but I haven't had it happen. I cant think of a reason not to have a dust cover, but if not sleeping with your gun in the dirt, it probably isn't required. I use them.

These discussions are interesting. Its often said they aren't needed (and I'm not saying they are or not, just making the observation), but nobody mentions that it was standard procedure when chambering the first round in M1 Garands, it was common, if not actually protocol to bump the cocking handle with the heel of the hand. Ive done it a number of times when shooting M1's. One of my guns often wouldn't start the first round out of the clip without the bump, but always ran perfectly once loaded.

From a Gov publication,

To load a clip, hold the rifle and pull the operating rod handle all the way to the rear. Place the clip on top of the follower assembly. Place your thumb on the center of the top round in the clip (fig 56) and press the clip straight down into the receiver until it latches. Remove your hand and allow the bolt to travel forward freely. Note that the operating rod is not held to the rear after fully inserting a loaded clip. In order to chamber the first round, it may be necessary to strike the back of the operating rod handle with the heel of the right hand to fully close and lock the bolt.

http://thecmp.org/wp-content/uploads/M1GarandGuide.pdf (page 30)