PDA

View Full Version : Video Review: Ruger Silent-SR

Ironman
01-15-2016, 12:11 PM
The new Ruger Silent-SR™ pronounced "silencer" is the first suppressor to debut from a publicly traded American firearm company. This innovative suppressor spent over a year in production and logged well over a quarter a million rds in R&D.

The unique baffle design (pics available in older posts on my FB page) are a radical new take on what you can achieve with casting. The "pushed cone" looks as if the metal was heated to a melting point and then pushed and cooled. The baffles are a cast stainless steel. The result is a very unique and efficient baffle design that exhibited very little to no FRP.

The design has already picked up some rather risque nicknames when I leaked the pics earlier this week after I stumbled on the 2016 Ruger product catalog. They uploaded prior to SHOT and thought nobody would notice.

Besides the rather comical nicknames I think we can all agree that Ruger has stepped into uncharted territory and if nothing else just helped the NFA community gain the support it needs to gain momentum in favorable legislation and public acceptance.

I have a feeling it's going to be more than just a political game here. I'm betting Ruger will become a contender in the current suppressor market. As you can see from this video, their suppressor works great and has factory tested metered averages of 114.7dB on the SR22, 115.0dB on the 10/22 takedown, and 113.3dB on the Ruger American in .22lr.

I hope this is not the only can we see from Ruger or other manufactures for that matter. It would be great to see others step in and join the movement. The more the merrier!

Well, I hope you enjoy the video. Please leave me any feedback, be it positive or negative so I can better tailor my videos for your viewing pleasure! Also if you have a YT account, give it a thumbs up if you like it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mi_9gPvsj28

-NFA Review

StraitR
01-16-2016, 01:09 PM
Looks, and more importantly sounds, like Ruger really did a good job. The splines and baffle designs are innovative, so it's obvious they're serious about getting into suppressors. I couldn't agree more with the importance of having industry giants like Ruger getting involved with NFA, and they are a welcomed ally. That being said, I'm sure Bill Ruger is rolling in his grave. :p

Thanks for the review. Good stuff, as usual.

ffhounddog
01-16-2016, 01:34 PM
I think ruger has upgraded to summersaults since the rolling has been going full bore since they made an AR.