PDA

View Full Version : EDC - Do we make a big deal out of nothing?

vaspence
03-01-2011, 12:22 PM
Reading through the Liger post below and others on different forums made me wonder if we don't get too wrapped up in ourselves. What I mean by that is, does anyone really notice if you are wearing a Wilderness belt, TAD cargo pants, Merrell shoes, insert your own item, etc.? I really don't think so. I'm not talking about the guy who just stepped off the LA Police Gear website clad in all 5.11 closeouts. Just any one of us. I am out in public everyday, on a college campus a couple of days a week, work a few days a week with groups of people in size from 10-25 (including LEO, Firefighters, etc) and only one person has ever commented on my Wilderness belt. Rarely is my watch noticed and I wore Vertx pants/shorts pretty much all of last year without being made or called out. Todays fashions (watches, belts, pants, etc) are so saturated with stuff and the stuff is so similar that it really isn't a big deal. I was at a 3 yo's birthday party this past weekend and a guy was wearing camo cargo pants. I know the guy fairly well, he is a physical therapist/triathlete, has nothing whatsoever to do with shooting people in the face or posing as such, etc. He bought the pants at Old Navy.

That said, I notice. I notice if you have a Submariner or Seamaster on because I'm sort of a watch guy. I notice if you have on Arcteryx, Patagonia, etc. because I just do. I also notice if you favor a certain side, periodically make adjustments under your shirt, etc. However most others I'm with don't notice anything at all.

Anyway, just food for thought.

LittleLebowski
03-01-2011, 12:26 PM
I know that suggestions from others have helped me find what fits me comfortably.

orionz06
03-01-2011, 12:56 PM
My Liger thread was for a specific purpose. I could probably wear my Eotac (Wilderness) belt to work without issue, I have worn a cobra buckle belt and the most anyone said was "that is neat, you kids and your fancy clothes". I seek a belt that will support a gun if need be and does not look like an old man belt. I simply do not like how most "gun leather" companies make their belts look.

To add to what you are talking about though, I like the idea of not having all of my clothes be from Eotac, VERTX, and TAD Gear. While everything most people here do involves "living the gun lifestyle", I don't need to wear it everywhere.

Interesting thing to note, Lowas, Vasques, Keens, and Merrells are pretty for footwear around here (Pittsburgh). The outdoorsey trend has rubbed off and folks are wearing stuff that is a bit more practical. I have a co-worker who wears Merrell boots with North Face, Arc'Teryx, and Columbia clothing. He is an avid hiker and normal guy. He thought my riggers belt was from the mall.

Aray
03-01-2011, 01:01 PM
I don't think most people even pay attention to "Shoot Me First" vests, let alone your belt.

orionz06
03-01-2011, 01:04 PM
I don't think most people even pay attention to "Shoot Me First" vests, let alone your belt.

Vests are "in" with some of the hipsters and outdoor types.

ToddG
03-01-2011, 01:12 PM
As someone who was sponsored by Royal Robbins before it became 5.11, then wore 5.11 and SIGtac vests for years, now that I aiwb from untucked polos and such I cannot believe how stupid and obvious I looked walking around town in an IDPA Shoot Me First Vest.

I see people in cargos, Merrells, and fanny packs all the time. I see a 5.11 or similar vest and guaranteed I can find a gun on the guy.

orionz06
03-01-2011, 01:20 PM
I see people in cargos, Merrells, and fanny packs all the time. I see a 5.11 or similar vest and guaranteed I can find a gun on the guy.

I agree, but the normal person does not know what 5.11 is, or that the guy wearing a 5.11 vest likely has a gun on him. Hell, most people don't even notice you walking around anyway, they are too immersed into their phones. If they would detach for a moment, I doubt they would think twice about a man in multicam pants with a black vest and a pair of M-frames.

ToddG
03-01-2011, 01:29 PM
o -- I agree for the most part. But the few times I was outed, it was while wearing a heavy 511-style vest.

It comes down to contrast. Where fanny packs are common, wearing a fanny pack raises no eyebrows. At least around here, the only time you see 511-style vests are on LE, obvious ccw'ers, and at the range.

Wearing a heavy vest in the summer heat also raises a red flag even for folks who don't know anything about guns or ccw. It stands out.

VolGrad
03-01-2011, 01:34 PM
I agree, but the normal person does not know what 5.11 is, or that the guy wearing a 5.11 vest likely has a gun on him. They might not know what 5.11 is or what an IDPA vest is but I do think they "stick out" more than regular cargos or a zip up fleece vest and that is enough to draw attention, no matter if they think you have a gun or not. It seems to go against the "gray man" mentality.

Contrary to what I just said ... around here someone in head to camo can often be considered "normal" and that's just sad. :confused: I guess it depends on where you live as to what is perceived as "normal".

I have pretty much dumped all my "tactical" looking stuff (5.11 pants, concealed carry shirts, etc.) with the exception of a couple of pair of LAPG tac pants I only wear to classes just for the pockets. I never wear them in public. I normally wear cargos or jeans in "real life". No, I don't see that violating the "train like you carry" mentality as the pockets are just helpful to stow empty mags, pen & paper, and such during class. If the rain holds off I plan to wear jeans in the AFHF class this weekend. We'll see. I am NOT wearing denim in the rain though (30%+ chance).

I do own a shoot me vest for IDPA but don't wear it all the time. I've never once worn it in "real life".

jslaker
03-01-2011, 01:37 PM
I mostly don't wear tacticool gear because I don't like the way it looks. I'm fortunate in that my default mode of dress outside of work -- jeans, t-shirt, and an unbuttoned overshirt -- works very well for concealed carry.

Last night I was standing outside a restaurant talking with friends when a gentleman walked out wearing business attire and a small fanny pack offset to his strong side. Cases like that make me wonder why they even bother and don't just open carry.

vaspence
03-01-2011, 01:38 PM
My question was more to do with the snubbing of gear due to worry about being labeled a poser or being made.

VolGrad
03-01-2011, 01:50 PM
My question was more to do with the snubbing of gear due to worry about being labeled a poser or being made.
I got that. My response was based off of my snubbing some types of apparel because ...
(1) I don't feel it necessary for my "mission" as the average Joe
(2) I think it makes me "stick out" in the crowd .... because it is different, not because it is associated with guns
(3) my wife rolls her eyes at me when I dress like a mall ninja.

:cool:

Occam's Razor
03-01-2011, 03:24 PM
There are clothes I wear to the range that I'd never wear in public. The 5.11 tuxedo does make you stand out, as a poser for most of us. The last thing I ever want to do is draw any attention to myself, and this is what I teach as well. No NRA stickers on my car, even though I'm a life member, no pro this or that. For the most part I think you're right about the general public not paying attention to what some else is wearing, mine is just a personal choice from traveling outconus a bit.

ljgrohn
03-01-2011, 07:20 PM
(3) my wife rolls her eyes at me when I dress like a mall ninja.

So I'm not the only one :D

ToddG
03-01-2011, 07:32 PM
So I'm not the only one :D

You're rolling your eyes at VolGrad, too???

TCinVA
03-01-2011, 08:17 PM
With good concealment gear and a little bit of common sense, 5.11 pants and an untucked polo shirt (both clean) may as well be a cloak of invisibility to 99.9% of the people walking the planet. I spent today on a police range with some friends from the local PD as I assisted an officer in getting his new LMT carbine up and running. Another officer, who I have only gotten to know recently asked for a rundown of my carbine preferences and then asked if I ever thought about carrying concealed.

He and the officers from 3 other agencies looked utterly shocked to see me produce an H&K P30, two spare magazines, a 1911 (carried in the small of my back because the bench was a ways away from the firing line we were using), a S&W 442 and a Cold Steel Braveheart knife.

None of them had a clue I was concealing anything, this despite having been within feet of me for most of an 8 hour day on the range.

Those of us who take concealed carry seriously notice far more than others...even those who should be noticing things as a means of keeping themselves safe. At times, yes...we are prone to dramatically overthink the possibilities because we're thinking that every glance cast upon us knows what we know and looks for what we look for. In truth, to most of the rest of humanity that passes us in daily life we're about as memorable as foliage.

SLG
03-01-2011, 08:32 PM
I think the key here is "most." Most people may not notice you or your clothing most of the time.

Today, an associate and I were "made". I had tan Vertx pants and a black Arcteryx jacket on (non LEAF product). My associate had some tan Old Navy cargo pants and a plain blue jacket. The guy came up to us and said, "Are you guys with XXX?" We said " Can we help you?" He said "I knew you were, because you're both wearing 5.11's."

He was a good guy, but don't fool yourself into thinking that the bad guys don't pick up on those things as well, even if they don't know the exact brand.

BTW, the above has never happened to me in 15 years of carrying in public, and then this thread starts and I get made:-(

How many times was someone thinking what this guy verbalized?

LittleLebowski
03-01-2011, 08:46 PM
A lot of it isn't always the brand name. Your haircut, physique, the way you walk are all target indicators to the right people.

I can usually spot a fellow prior Marine a mile away. I think it takes a lot of work to get military or paramilitary training out of your posture and the way you act. I have harder time with other services - might be just a Marine thing as far as my ability to do this goes.

So couple all of the above with conservative dress and yeah, you'll get made easily in my book.

I think there is a difference between those who dress this way with an eye towards utility and those who attempt to use it as a badge of honor like the FBI IT guys in my office sporting Camelbak packs with subdued American flags, knives, 5.11s, etc....and a distinct swagger.

Jay Cunningham
03-01-2011, 08:59 PM
I have been doing some thinking about this topic lately. The "tactical tuxedo" term is descriptive and amusing. I think it has a lot to do with your locale. Here in western PA, having an NRA sticker on your car window is perfectly normal, as is wearing a ballcap and having a folding knife clipped to your front pocket.

However, add in the foliage dark taupe Merrills, 5.11 pocket-covered pants, Wilderness riggers belt, the photog/fisherman/SMF vest, Rudy Project sunglasses and 360 degree velcro for all your morale patches on your hat, and suddenly your profile has increased. Note: I am absolutely in no way bashing any of the brands I just mentioned - it is all excellent gear.

Last year when I was staying at a hotel near USTC I got asked all kinds of silly "in the know" questions from people in the lobby and on the elevator. I guess I looked like some kind of out-of-work contractor... and it didn't make sense for me to have heightened my profile like that. The way I was dressed and the (obvious) gun cases I was schlepping made it clear I was some type of "gun guy".

I can do a lot better, and plan to. I'm trying out some different types of clothing now, along with some more discrete bags and packs.

evanhill
03-01-2011, 09:01 PM
He said "I knew you were, because you're both wearing 5.11's."

Ok, so neither of you were actually wearing 5.11s. Maybe what he really meant was you were both the only guys within 100 miles who looked like they had paying jobs, ergo...

Seriously, there are plenty of people in this world who profile not on the basis of specific conscious tells as on subconscious pattern recognition. Subconscious pattern recognition can take a whole lot of little things, any one of which is pretty innocuous in and of itself, and come to a rapid and positive conclusion about what all of those things mean. Heck, the whole "deselection" thing talked about on the Armed Citizen thread is the flip side of that same coin. Every step in the direction of "deselection" is a step in the direction of "getting made".

You need to grow your hair out SLG -- LAV decided I now look like an out of work Berkeley professor. Although I guess you thought otherwise last time you saw me... I'm telling you, you just can't win.

LittleLebowski
03-01-2011, 09:09 PM
I wore jeans to my last Vickers class. I also cleverly got hit by a piece of ricocheting metal jacket while shooting steel in order to look like a foolish civilian :cool:

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h251/baxshep/ricochet.jpg

vmi-mo
03-01-2011, 09:20 PM
There is a reason I try to grow my hair out as much as possible.

As for the tactical clothing, if thats your thing, then awesome. Me personally I can fit everything under blue jeans and a t shirt. nothing tactical about american eagle or walmart.

Another thing is normal pants can have alot of things sewn internal too them to not change or give up outward appearance.

If I am doing dedicated range time I might be seen in public in VERTX or Crye pants at a gas station or something. But I never just go out in them.

For those needing, using a cover as a "dental chair repairman" works wonder and ends all incoming questions. I use it just so I dont get one million questions NOT because I have a cool job.

PJ

JodyH
03-01-2011, 10:10 PM
I dress like a homeless person most of the time, even on the range.
I'm surprised Todd didn't give me any shit about my granola sandals and cool "Family Guy Evil Monkey" hat at the AFHF class.

ToddG
03-01-2011, 10:21 PM
I'm surprised Todd didn't give me any shit about my granola sandals and cool "Family Guy Evil Monkey" hat at the AFHF class.

Dude if you'd put that hat down, I would have stolen it. :cool:

(I can hear it now, "ToddG admitted he steals his students gear!")

MTechnik
03-01-2011, 11:05 PM
I wore jeans to my last Vickers class. I also cleverly got hit by a piece of ricocheting metal jacket while shooting steel in order to look like a foolish civilian :cool:

you're just a range accident in progress, no fault of your own?

LittleLebowski
03-01-2011, 11:13 PM
you're just a range accident in progress, no fault of your own?

I prefer the term "lead magnet," thank you.

vmi-mo
03-01-2011, 11:17 PM
I prefer the term "lead magnet," thank you.

At least you werent during deployments.

PJ

LittleLebowski
03-01-2011, 11:18 PM
At least you werent during deployments.
PJ

Yeah, during deployment would refer to the short 81mm WP round landing about 10 meters away from my LAV.

MTechnik
03-01-2011, 11:21 PM
Yeah, during deployment would refer to the short 81mm WP round landing about 10 meters away from my LAV.

What's a little white phosphorus between friends?

I guess with mr murphy being your closest friend you' need to be prepared.

LittleLebowski
03-01-2011, 11:23 PM
What's a little white phosphorus between friends?

I guess with mr murphy being your closest friend you' need to be prepared.

Our mortars were shit-hot and I don't blame them for the short round.

IsaacL
03-02-2011, 08:14 AM
I don't know if it's a big to-do over nothing. I think if you're are wearing/carrying your gear to impress people then maybe you are a little too wrapped up in yourself. However, if you are carrying the stuff you EDC because it is quality gear/clothing that you use each day then no, I don't think there's really any wrong with that. In fact I do tend to notice people with TAD style clothing and nice EDCs. Even though they are few and far between. They just kinda stand out to those of us who are like minded. That said, I guess you could go overboard and walk around dressed in BDUs and a armor carrier. THAT, would stand out to the general public in the worst possible way. Not that I'm criticizing anyone that does.......

gtmtnbiker98
03-02-2011, 09:54 AM
All that tactical clothing has never appealed to me, personally. I prefer worn out blue jeans, t-shirt and/or a button up shirt for my every day wear. Of course, there's a little something on the belt, but in looking at me, you'd never know nor suspect. I also try not to shave unless I absolutely have to so that also breaks any typical stereotypes that I may exhibit (by accident).

As for bumper stickers or other logos, absolutely zero on my vehicle and I don't wear clothes with logos on them, with the exception of being on the range.

ToddG
03-02-2011, 10:34 AM
I think the no logo rule is a good one though admittedly it's one I break regularly, putting me in danger from the 1% of 1% of 1% of people who recognize the pistol-training.com logo. :cool:

On the other hand, last year I was wearing one of my PTC logos while walking the dog, and a guy on the sidewalk stopped to meet the puppy. We were outside a Starbucks, and the whole "guns in Starbucks" story was still national news at the time. He made some comment about bringing the dog into Starbucks, and when I said that probably wasn't allowed, his response was, "Hell, they'll let you bring guns in there. What kind of guy needs to carry a gun all the time to feel like a real man?" So I very slowly looked down at the bright orange logo on my black shirt, looked back up at his blank unaware face, and said goodbye...

MTechnik
03-02-2011, 10:47 AM
I don't know... I can't stop wearing my LSHD hat....

http://i.imgur.com/84VLV.jpg

Jay Cunningham
03-02-2011, 10:48 AM
I don't know... I can't stop wearing my LSHD hat....

http://i.imgur.com/84VLV.jpg

Super low profile!!

MTechnik
03-02-2011, 11:28 AM
This is my normal coat, scarf, tactical diaper/computer bag (my son is at the age where I need to bring a fold-up potty seat when we go out), and hat... Most likely with a pair of khakis from Kohls I haven't put a hole in yet, monkeying around a server rack.
http://i.imgur.com/h7fU6.jpg

Hopefully I don't look like "I'm from the internet".

http://www.just-whatever.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/01/dontworry2.jpg

vmi-mo
03-02-2011, 11:59 AM
My hat can be a give away as it is a old bass master hat that has a 9/11 and POW patch on the back of it. I honestly dont give a fuck if someone makes me off that. The patches are there as a reminder for me. I will occasionaly wear logo'd hats only because I get them for free and I have over 15 and have not bought any of them.

Also, I have never heard an attractive chick say crye pants, velcroed jackets or 5.11 pants were hot. Just my experience for the single guys.

PJ

David
03-02-2011, 12:17 PM
I dress like the rest of society, I try to keep it nothing out of the modern societal norm so it's usually corduroy bell-bottoms, flared collars and combat boots.

LittleLebowski
03-02-2011, 12:22 PM
I dress like the rest of society, I try to keep it nothing out of the modern societal norm so it's usually corduroy bell-bottoms, flared collars and combat boots.

You must shop where Todd shops.

ToddG
03-02-2011, 12:29 PM
You must shop where Todd shops.

2000 infraction points for you.

Mitchell, Esq.
03-02-2011, 12:34 PM
Sometimes it’s not a matter of hiding the gear, it’s a matter of hiding yourself in plain sight.

Dress not appropriate to the context is more of a tell than logos that people mostly don’t recognize.

Yuppie scum business casual for me is the order of the day. If I can’t hide & access something wearing that, then I’m not interested.

Aray
03-02-2011, 02:40 PM
In Western PA, wearing camo or firearms related logos helps you blend in outside of Allegheny County.

vcdgrips
03-02-2011, 04:44 PM
A little late to the party, professionals, both good guys and bad guys, notice the non fleece vests , 5.11 style pants etc. with relative ease. These coupled with well groomed hair (be it long or short), cool sunglasses and obvious situational awareness and ...boom you are "made".

Chipster
03-02-2011, 08:30 PM
Here lately what I wear is "Lucky" brand jeans (mostly because when you undo the zipper they say "Lucky You" on the fly), an Under Armour basketball tank top, a T-shirt, and a Wilderness khaki belt, and tennis shoes (if the weather is bad I will put on my Merrells). If I go to class I will typically switch out my jeans for some Woolrich Elite pants though just for the extra pockets. I do notice some people all 5.11 out but I just shrug and move away.

YVK
03-02-2011, 08:36 PM
Here lately what I wear is "Lucky" brand jeans .

Lucky used to make the best cargo pants for blend-in purposes. They completely lacked any tactical look and were something you could wear at night out while providing functionality of cargo pockets. Lucky were my go-to pants brand until they stopped making them.

MTechnik
03-02-2011, 09:08 PM
I like the stealth phone/pda pocket on khakis. Opens up a pocket.

Jay Cunningham
03-02-2011, 09:21 PM
I'm trying out some clothing from SeV that are outfitted with a large number of internal pockets.

vecdran
03-03-2011, 01:34 AM
Living in the Seattle area has its perks. Arc'teryx jackets, tan cargo pants, and trail running shoes are the norm, as are knives/lights/etc. visibly clipped to pockets. I've only been made once, and that's because I was wearing my HK hat.

It's not hard to stay low profile. Even my work boots, Addidas GSG9.2 tactical boots, look like normal Addidas shoes when covered by pants, except all black. The tread may be a bit of a giveaway too, but honestly who spends all their time walking around staring at people's shoes.

peterb
03-03-2011, 09:20 AM
While everything most people here do involves "living the gun lifestyle"...

Does it have to be a lifestyle? Can't it just be one of the things I do?

Sheesh.

Jay Cunningham
03-03-2011, 09:22 AM

Sheesh.

Good question.

What do you consider this? Entertainment? A hobby? A way to protect yourself and your loved ones? Exercise of a Constitutional right?

ToddG
03-03-2011, 09:24 AM
All of the above.

orionz06
03-03-2011, 09:52 AM

Sheesh.

That is kind of what I was getting at. Do we need to shoot guns, wear gun clothes, talk gun talk, and only watch gun movies? Can I still wear a pair of Diesels with my bright green Adidas Superstars while carrying a gun and still have a decent chance and surviving a "dynamic stress situation"?

Jay Cunningham
03-03-2011, 09:54 AM
That is kind of what I was getting at. Do we need to shoot guns, wear gun clothes, talk gun talk, and only watch gun movies? Can I still wear a pair of Diesels with my bright green Adidas Superstars while carrying a gun and still have a decent chance and surviving a "dynamic stress situation"?

Right.

Or do you need to wear the tactical tuxedo to show everyone what you are currently "into"?

TCinVA
03-03-2011, 10:42 AM
Speaking personally, the next time some hammerhead pulls a gun or a knife on me, I'd just like to be able to have the option of shooting back and the skill to accomplish something if I am forced to pull the trigger.

I don't really think of it as a lifestyle. I generally dress around effectively concealing my carry loadout, but I don't generally stand out as a dude who is packing heat. The only time I have ever been "made" in public was when I attended a birthday party for a good friend I've known since high school. During the early part of the party (before most had arrived) his mother ran up on my right side and did a side hug...right on top of my Glock 26.

I don't spend much time worried about what I wear or what others think of it because, in my experience anyway, hardly anyone ever notices and the few who might aren't likely to be a threat to me anyway.

vecdran
03-03-2011, 12:09 PM
I'm around gun people all day long (I work at a range), and I've noticed that pretty much the only people who walk around in tactical tuxedos are either LEO's, or people who think of themselves as sheepdogs/warriors/operators-operating-operationally.

They latter group usually have way too many overpriced toys, don't know how to use them, and every once and a while put a round into my floor.

smells like feet
03-03-2011, 02:57 PM
Right.

Or do you need to wear the tactical tuxedo to show everyone what you are currently "into"?

I think that this brings up a great point.

There is a "scene" attatched to shooting, and lots of people go overboard on the scene.

With the clothing (or are they outfits), the celebrity worship, the jargon, the brand loyalty, celebrity feuds, our own media and websites...we could be mma guys, motorcycle guys, fly fishermen or hipsters or teens at the mall.

I am Canadian...and pretty much no one around me, other than the odd off duty cop is carrying a concealed handgun, but I guarantee when I hit the next local gun show I will see tons of guys dressed in "CCW lifestyle" clothing right down to molle manpurses.

I think most of us are self aware enough to look at this with the right amount of humour...for grown men who talk and dress to conform with a scene.

SLG
03-03-2011, 06:53 PM
Some of us dress the way we do because it is functional. Functional goes way beyond "concealment". A small part of that is there is often a lot more to carry and conceal when it's your job.

I don't like (and never have) the look of 5.11's, but I wore them for a while because they were functional (somewhat). When everyone else started wearing them, I ditched them. I then tried a whole host of stuff, including the high end and the low end. None worked as well as my Vertx which were designed to accomplish certain, specific things. Vertx, unfortunately, spread like wildfire (good for business, bad for function), though around my AO, you don't often see them. When the rage dies down, I'm still likely to be wearing them, because they work better than anything else I've tried.

On days when blending in is paramount, I switch to something else.

skyugo
03-05-2011, 11:10 PM
Vests are "in" with some of the hipsters and outdoor types.

they're really nice if your body is cold and your arms are too warm :D

in all seriousness, i carry a maxpedition bag to school every day along with a 9mm on my WT belt. Friends are still surprised to learn i carry. :confused:

Wheeler
03-06-2011, 11:00 AM
I've become a big fan of Riggs Ranger pants. Basically Riggs workwear with cargo pockets. In my line of work, they work well for CCW AND to carry tools around. Noone notices the pistol tucked in the front pocket when there's a tape measure clipped above it.

As far as a BOB, (trust me, I will not divulge the contents nor ask you to share the contents of yours with me), I swapped from an old small ALICE to a Kelty Roam. Maroon and subdued orange just don't quite scream Mall Ninja like the ALICE pack did.

I agree that most people notice attitude, posture and presence more than clothing.

Wheeler

BWT
03-06-2011, 03:18 PM
Speaking personally, the next time some hammerhead pulls a gun or a knife on me, I'd just like to be able to have the option of shooting back and the skill to accomplish something if I am forced to pull the trigger.

I don't really think of it as a lifestyle. I generally dress around effectively concealing my carry loadout, but I don't generally stand out as a dude who is packing heat. The only time I have ever been "made" in public was when I attended a birthday party for a good friend I've known since high school. During the early part of the party (before most had arrived) his mother ran up on my right side and did a side hug...right on top of my Glock 26.

I don't spend much time worried about what I wear or what others think of it because, in my experience anyway, hardly anyone ever notices and the few who might aren't likely to be a threat to me anyway.

... People are shockingly oblivious.

I had a family friend hug me and set her hand on the butt of my pistol, didn't bat an eye or flinch, or make a remark.

Huge Liberal too, so you know she would've said something.

I wear T-Shirts and jeans or shorts, shoes depend on what I'm doing.

I don't really think about it too much.

I conceal carry regularly in just a T-shirt with a CBOB and two spare magazines under the shirt.

I had one friend ask me once when I was carrying if I was, just because I told him I usually carry when I wear a certain shirt (it's long enough, etc.)

He was right. I asked him could he make out the gun and he said no.

Other then that, people don't notice the knife clipped on my pocket, they don't notice crap.

I'd agree with the consensus that kids are the worst though, they're naturally very curious and don't have any of the hang ups like "manners" etc, and will lift up your shirt, etc, put their hands on you, etc. and they're at the right eye height to notice those things.

I'd say be worried about kids more than anything.

I don't wear a lot of gun shirts, etc, so I've never had anyone ask me.

KeeFus
03-06-2011, 07:48 PM
I only wear the shoot me first vest when @ an IDPA match. Dont like the 5.11's either. I try to blend in as much as possible. I buy my pants @ Walmart and try to buy shirts/jackets that go far enough below my belt to hide any potential flash of a holster. I keep my spare mags/knife/light in a pocket, not clipped.

Coyotesfan97
03-07-2011, 11:21 AM
I think the no logo rule is a good one though admittedly it's one I break regularly, putting me in danger from the 1% of 1% of 1% of people who recognize the pistol-training.com logo. :cool:

On the other hand, last year I was wearing one of my PTC logos while walking the dog, and a guy on the sidewalk stopped to meet the puppy. We were outside a Starbucks, and the whole "guns in Starbucks" story was still national news at the time. He made some comment about bringing the dog into Starbucks, and when I said that probably wasn't allowed, his response was, "Hell, they'll let you bring guns in there. What kind of guy needs to carry a gun all the time to feel like a real man?" So I very slowly looked down at the bright orange logo on my black shirt, looked back up at his blank unaware face, and said goodbye...

Was it Freyja? Mals and caffeine are a bad mix.:D

ToddG
03-07-2011, 11:37 AM
Was it Freyja? Mals and caffeine are a bad mix.:D

Yes. Luckily, she only drinks decaf.

FotoTomas
03-07-2011, 06:14 PM
Having been a cop for awhile before tacticool was "in" I dressed the way I wanted. I then spent 15 years working as a full time pro photographer. During those 15 years I LOVED my Bananna Republic and Domke photo vests as well as my BDU khaki trousers. They held so much stuff and allowed me to lug a smaller camera bag around. Even the camera bags were great for general stuff besides cameras. I still have a selection of Domke, Tenba, Lowe Pro and Tamrac bags that I haul either camera or gun gear in. When I returned to LE 10 years ago I continued to wear my comfortable and full of pockets vests and BDU style trousers and found out that now I was tacticool. To this day it is still my preferred manner of dress. I still do the occasional freelance photo job and often am out and about with my son's scout troop. The cargo pockets and vests work great for me. My odest son and daughter in law actually worry when they do NOT see me in my vest.

On one occasion 7 years ago however I was at Universal studios FL and a gentleman walked up to me and asked what agency I worked for. He and I were wearing identical 5.11 vests at the time. In my case that day I was shooting a photo assignment and I was using it as a "photo vest". We still had a good laugh out of it though.

When I get off duty I will be wearing a Fox outdoors photovest and some brown TruTest cargos, and I have no worries about being "made".

Rains on Parades
03-18-2011, 05:07 PM
Apparently in some states it can cause legal problems for a ccw holder if their gun becomes visible. But that is not the case in Oregon were I live. The only reason I carry concealed is so people don't hassle me over it, or make people nervous. Which means I don't really care if someone notices my gun(though I've never had it happen).

Awhile back in Wall*Mart I took off the hoodie I wore out of the house and had a t-shirt on underneath that left a fairly gun shaped bulge on my hip pretty visible. No one said anything. If they noticed they didn't care, but I don't think they did.

As one of the previous posters said(possibly the OP) most people are just too bound up in their little world. And if someone does notice what does it really hurt? You may get into a social situation, but even that is unlikely.

I wouldn't say it's a big deal out of nothing for everyone, different people in different circumstances have different needs. But for me it would be.

MTechnik
03-21-2011, 12:26 PM
Not sure where this is from originally, but it made me laugh and think of this thread:

http://i.imgur.com/a3Tqy.jpg

dravz
03-24-2011, 09:07 PM
I'm anti-tactical. ;)

I actively avoid wearing any gun brands, gun shirts, or anything related to that scene whatsoever.

I go athletic instead. Every sporty Nike or Under Armour shirt I've ever bought has been sized a little big, perfect for covering weaponry.

sabu71
03-26-2011, 09:01 PM
I have been doing some thinking about this topic lately. The "tactical tuxedo" term is descriptive and amusing. I think it has a lot to do with your locale. Here in western PA, having an NRA sticker on your car window is perfectly normal, as is wearing a ballcap and having a folding knife clipped to your front pocket.

However, add in the foliage dark taupe Merrills, 5.11 pocket-covered pants, Wilderness riggers belt, the photog/fisherman/SMF vest, Rudy Project sunglasses and 360 degree velcro for all your morale patches on your hat, and suddenly your profile has increased. Note: I am absolutely in no way bashing any of the brands I just mentioned - it is all excellent gear.

I can do a lot better, and plan to. I'm trying out some different types of clothing now, along with some more discrete bags and packs.

Very true.....I'm not one to go with the Tuxedo (for the most part anyway). In the first paragraph, minus the NRA sticker, that's pretty much me. Maybe the odd "Got Sig ?" T-Shirt every blue moon. I don't really do the vest thing unless I am fishing (and no knock on folks who do wear em on a regular basis).

So far as other parts of my "tactical ensemble", it's not a whole lot. 9.9 times out of 10, I'm walking out the door with my cell phone, folder clipped to my right front pocket, flashlight on my person somewhere, and a watch on my wrist. Other than a couple of hats and shirts, you'd probably never know I was some self defense/gun wielding/tacticool psycho ;)......

Anyhow, I do own a few pairs of 5.11 shorts, and a pair of their pants. I wear them the same way I wear jeans or slacks. If they're clean, I'm putting them on. Unless I know I'm going somewhere where I know I'll need the extra pockets (ie going to an amusement park, picnic, out fishing or camping), then I'll specifically have those on deck. I didn't buy them to be "tacticool", I bought em cause they're comfy, durable, and they suit my lifestyle. With that said, they aren't camo, or anything resembling that I'm all "tacticool" (with the exception of the strap near the back pocket for a gun...but I use that for other things too ;) ). Black, blue, or Khaki....and I don't think I've ever had anyone comment on them either.

With that said, I've also got normal "Joe Suburbanite" clothes. I'd say about 95 percent of pants/shorts that I own are just stuff you'd buy at WalMart, Macy's, Kohls etc. I've got some regular pairs of cargo shorts, but I put them in the same area as the 5.11's. And as well, I don't advertise on my ride either. No "Driver carries only 20 dollars in ammunition" or stuff like that ;)

Every so often, I'll wear my Leatherman Ti Charge on my hip, but again, not many folks think much of it, and don't say anything. And the few that do think I'm some kind of "computer geek" when I've got that on. And at work, where I do have it on always, folks don't think I'm some gun nut. They think then definitely that I'm a "computer geek" because on top of the light and Leatherman, I've got a cell phone, pager, and SpectraLink Phone on the opposite hip.

In short, I look like Nick Burns, your company's computer guy, and not John Rambo :o.

But to sum it up, I dress more to blend in, and (to quote someone else) "be the gray man" (can't remember who that's attributed to).

Am I knocking anyone who does don the "tactical tuxedo" ??? Hell no. It's your perogative. You've got to do what's best for you. I'm not one to judge :)

cutter
04-27-2012, 03:19 PM
I think wearing a vest and some of the other tac-cool clothing screams NERD! to the average person. But to the insider it screams "I'm carrying".

If you are part of the culture or have been, you recognize others. I'm about a 2 hour drive from Fort Bragg, living in occupied Pineland. I have great fun "making" the SWC instructors and other action guys when they are loading up on pogey bait at the Walmart when a Robin Sage or other exercise is going on.

Steve S.
04-27-2012, 03:56 PM
Around these parts, it's not 5.11 vests, Merrell kicks, and BDUs that are "shoot me first". It's Tall Tees, Airforce Ones, fitted caps, and baggy jeans.

It's very much an environment thing. I'm in the Suburban Detroit Area, so anyone thuggin' stands out. Conversely, I'd probably stick out - more as a victim / target - hanging out on 7 Mile and Runyan Ave.

I know the ninja / mountain climber community is kind of peeved that The Northface is getting too mainstream. Myself, I like that. Now there's good apparel that blends in with the general suburban populace. Same could be said of Under Armour. Love me some UA.

JHC
04-27-2012, 06:13 PM
I think I'm gonna dig the photog vest out of the back of the closet this weekend on the hope it'll perturb some gun insider fashion nazi. :D

UNK
04-27-2012, 09:33 PM
The first time I saw a riggers belt was in a grocery store. I didn't know what it was, but I knew it was a gun belt. A

jetfire
04-27-2012, 10:03 PM
I really like tactical pants, because they have lots of pockets and I find myself carrying things. I have a dedicated pocket for everything: cell phone, wallet, keys, knife - I can just check to make sure everything is there by feel. I don't forget stuff anymore which is really nice.

As far as the whole "being made" thing goes, for me anyway the privacy bus left the station a long time ago and isn't coming back. I had two college girls on a plane ask me if I was packing. I was like "uh, no - this is an AIRPLANE."

LHS
04-29-2012, 04:19 PM
I carry a lot of crap for work and fun, so cargo pants are a big plus for me. I have been very happy with my Cabelas Trail Hiker IIs, they've been pretty well bombproof and hard wearing, and they fit me well. I've also started getting into Wilderness "Sonoran Shirts". They're basically like Hawaiian shirts with more Southwestern-themed patterns, tailored for CCW. I love them, and they fit marvelously, but at $90 each, they're kind of pricey. Still, nobody looks at me like I'm packing heat when I'm wearing a loose button-up shirt covered in Kokopellis.

To me, the point of carrying concealed is to have the element of surprise, should I need it. To that end, I think the 'greyman' concept is valid. Look like everyone else, until you need to be different. When I go home to visit family, that's work boots, cargo pants, and a jacket in some kind of realtree or mossy oak. At my current AO, that's cargo pants, cross trainers, and a Sonoran shirt.

Long tom coffin
04-29-2012, 11:12 PM
Around these parts, it's not 5.11 vests, Merrell kicks, and BDUs that are "shoot me first". It's Tall Tees, Airforce Ones, fitted caps, and baggy jeans.

It's very much an environment thing. I'm in the Suburban Detroit Area, so anyone thuggin' stands out. Conversely, I'd probably stick out - more as a victim / target - hanging out on 7 Mile and Runyan Ave.

I know the ninja / mountain climber community is kind of peeved that The Northface is getting too mainstream. Myself, I like that. Now there's good apparel that blends in with the general suburban populace. Same could be said of Under Armour. Love me some UA.

It's kind of funny you mention that, it's the same thing here in St. Louis. We have a large population of "urban black youth", who dress in a similar fashion. It's a foregone that most people think they are carrying guns (and some are. Usually POS weapons, too. .25 ACP is a popular caliber in some sections of the 314.)

There's also not a real "tactical" scene here in St. Louis. St. Louis is also adjacent to some really redneck-y areas, so wearing anything camo or cowboy or such and people are likely to assume you either have a gun on you or in your vehicle. I've made plenty of people around town, but that's usually because they were wearing cheapo gear (either crappy Uncle Mike's or something like DeSantis and Galco). I've seen only two guys dressed "tactically", and then it was head to toe shoot me first gear. The really sad part was it was perfectly obvious that these guys were wannabe's. Situational awareness and physical fitness were practically non existent.

I myself generally eschew anything that looks "tactical". I wear some outdoors clothing, usually from Orvis, so nothing really gun related, except for my wilderness belt, which is under an untucked shirt.

DanH
04-30-2012, 02:32 AM
St. Louis is also adjacent to some really redneck-y areas

I resemble that remark :p

that is if you consider 110 miles adjacent

lamarbrog
05-01-2012, 02:08 AM
I work in a gun store. We carry pistols openly in the store.

It happens literally almost every day that I will be talking to a customer and five minutes into the conversation they will stop and say "oh, wow, you're carrying a gun!". Then they will look around and say "oh, wow, everyone in here is carrying a gun!".

They walked into a room that has multiple people carrying large-frame pistols in outside the waistband holsters... and it took them a few minutes to realize that anyone had a gun on their hip, including the person they are standing a few feet away from and speaking with.

People are oblivious...

rob_s
05-01-2012, 06:45 AM
eschewing the latest in whatever brands are considered tactical for me has as much to do as avoiding contact or being obvious to ANYONE not just bad guys. There are a whole lot of well-intentioned but delusional people that know what all the latest and greatest brands are (you can usually spot them too with the "bolt face logo" stickers on their truck or gear). I don't want to stand out to potential attackers, but I don't want to stand out to cops or other CCWs either. I see no reason to. A friend was recently at Disney World and a pimply-faced worker there saw his BCM hat and said "hey those guys are like Blackwater, right? Do you work for them?" I don't want that kind of attention.

I like Vertx pants at the range because I can put my notebook, phone, and camera in the cargo pockets. Same for BDU pants. I'm not worried about standing out at the range, I'm at the frigging range.

I will say that the attempts by some to look/be less tactical than the next guy are getting out of hand, to the point of being almost as bad. There seems to be a "look at me, I'm less tactical than you and therefore MORE tactical than you" trend that's pretty amusing.

Speaking of the BFL, a lot of people are out there looking for something to belong to. If you think that every guy that buys a gun, goes to a class, and joins a forum is doing it because he's worried about getting mugged and not because he's looking for friends, you're way off. So when he buys the stuff that the "sheeple" can't spot and only the guys "in the know" will pick up on, that's part of that same psychological problem. Buying the latest most cutting edge version (what are we up to now? Acteryx being the latest? maybe Mountain Khakis? and Salomons for shoes? Rudy Project, or maybe even Smith for glasses?) makes him feel even more cooler-than-you with the in-the-know guys.

I'm hitting the golf store later this week for USPSA clothing. It dawned on me that I live in the golf capital of the world so I'll look like every other yuppie when I'm going to and from the range, and the shorts and shirts that they make for golf are also intended for long outings in the Florida heat so they should be perfect for matches. And I see that they now have shoes that look like baseball cleats with all the small nubs that I should get better traction with and not have to take off when I go to lunch after a match. I also have to stock up on summer clothes again (can you believe it's already 90 degrees here every day?) and need to find an Old Navy for that.

Hell, I don't even wear the yellow visor at most matches anymore. I don't even want to be spotted as being myself!

Long tom coffin
05-01-2012, 05:53 PM
I resemble that remark :p

that is if you consider 110 miles adjacent

Lulz. Are you up north, midstate, or down by fort lost in the woods?

Cheers to a fellow missourian on the board, btw :cool:

JAD
05-02-2012, 05:41 AM
Cheers to a fellow missourian on the board, btw :cool:
I live on the MO side. (but work on the KS side).

Shokr21
05-02-2012, 10:05 AM
When I'm out and about I wear bke jeans, a leather gun belt and a plain t-shirt from old navy or a collared shirt of some sort. Couple that with either cowboy boots, flip flops or dress shoes. I hide my 19 owb in good kydex, I'm waiting for another holster so I can go back to IWB at times. I'd say I'm not "tacticool" at all.

I do wear north face jackets, but all the frat boys and sorority girls do too, so I don't stick out in the cold.

I get some grief at my USPSA shoots, because I wear 5.11'ish khaki's, a volund gear works belt and holsters designed for owb concealment. Most of the other guys wear jeans or shorts with their velcro inner-outer belts with cr speed equipment holsters or other drop and offset holsters.

It's all in good nature and I don't take it personally. I just quietly place in the top 3 in my division on a consistent basis and rib right back when my hit factor is better than their open or limited rigs.

People in my area are pretty blind to carry. Just last week we went out to dinner with a couple who is into firearms, and when I asked if I was carrying, I just smiled and stated "you tell me". I was and they both thought I wasn't. I didn't say either way if they were right or wrong, just told 'em good guess.

Gun Nerd
05-03-2012, 01:57 PM
I think the key here is "most." Most people may not notice you or your clothing most of the time.

Today, an associate and I were "made". I had tan Vertx pants and a black Arcteryx jacket on (non LEAF product). My associate had some tan Old Navy cargo pants and a plain blue jacket. The guy came up to us and said, "Are you guys with XXX?" We said " Can we help you?" He said "I knew you were, because you're both wearing 5.11's."

He was a good guy, but don't fool yourself into thinking that the bad guys don't pick up on those things as well, even if they don't know the exact brand.

A few years ago, I went to the dog park in normal weekend clothes -- 5.11 pants, a T-shirt, a red Kavu vest because it was windy, Oakley O-frames and a light khaki cap with green lettering. (Nothing tactical about the cap; it was from a trip to the Olympic facility at Lake Placid.) Footwear was probably some kind of ordinary running shoes. My hair was admittedly short, but not much shorter than it's been every other day since the mid-80s. No gun logos, Wilderness belt, etc.

A few minutes after I got there, a guy asked me, "Who are you with?"

I pointed over at my dog and said "With her."

We went separate ways but eventually ran into each other again and struck up more of a conversation. Turned out he was an agent with a small federal agency. Nice guy but the initial question stuck with me.

The point about bad guys recognizing this stuff is illustrated by a story I heard on the InSights Training email list a while back. The author had moved to Chicago without a lot of time to house hunt. Not knowing the area, he and his wife bought a condo that turned out to be around the corner from a notoriously high-crime housing project.

Eventually, this couple noticed that the Chicago PD street crime officers in the area wore North Face jackets and caps from gun companies, and that the local K-9s were Boxers (I think). So they went out and bought NF jackets and gun company caps, then headed down to the SPCA and adopted a pair of Boxers. From then on, they would walk the dogs past groups of young men on street corners and watch them scatter.

Dress for your mission, I guess.

Templar223
05-07-2012, 04:06 PM
Enjoyed some time here lurking around and learning and joined up today. First post.

A lot of aficionados here are making a lot out of clothing brand names & styles. And while I'll be first to admit that a SMF vest screams "gun", most other "stuff" is noticed by precious few and you're never going to be invisible to everyone. A few in this thread have identified body language as an indicator of "sheep dogs" and I agree.

One of my fellow instructors, a retired G-man, told me of being "made" by the Secret Service while on an outing with his daughter near where the then-president was going to be. It wasn't his clothes, he said and it wasn't his gun because on this day he wasn't carrying it. They keyed in on his appearance, situational awareness / body language.

I'll share a primary example. I'm from IL (yeah, it sucks) and carry in a fanny pack everyday. It's a fashion faux paux and a bit of a rarity, yet 99.9% of the population around me has zero clue that there might be a gun inside it.

So, if you want to be gray, great. YMMV, but I don't believe most folks, especially generally not-so-bright criminals, are analyzing clothing brands and styles in depth to assess for hidden firearms.

Then again, as that same retired G-man likes to say, "it isn't paranoia if they are really out to get you!"

John

Cowman
06-18-2012, 10:50 PM
I think a lot of you guys do make a big deal about nothing. The brands of clothing you're talking about are a lot more appealing to regular every day non carrying citizens than you might expect.

I came across the 5.11 brand by looking for more durable and affordable polo shirts for work, after I had made a purchase of under armour undershirts. I've put up with polo shirts that just left me hot and unable to regulate my body temperature, and after a bit of searching and reading of reviews I wound up on 5.11's webpage and bought myself some professional polos and performance polos. They are awesome, perform well and look business casual(not as much for the performance polos, but really who notices). The pen pockets were a huge selling point for me too. They were something I've never seen before and they are absolutely perfect for my job since I always need a sharpie and pen at hand without having to juggle them in my pockets along with a cell phone, keys and a wallet.

I had decided I was no longer going to buy cheap weak clothing and shoes that got ripped and worn out from my job... and so I decided to purchase even more 5.11 and vertx items, particularly a pair of 5.11 6" ATAC boots which will arrive tomorrow. I'm excited for them, but not for the reasons you all view tacticool individuals to be excited for them, but because from everything I've read they are a very durable and comfortable boot that requires no break in period. I'm going to be cycling them with my Red Wing steel toed oxford shoes at work, particularly on casual fridays, and will be using them as a regular walking shoe/boot.

I'm even going to get myself a 5.11 Messenger bag because I like the way it looks and it seems very functional and durable... not because I want to carry a gun in it. I have watched tons of reviews on youtube of this bag by people who don't own a gun.

I love guns in entertainment like video games and movies, but I am not a gun person in real life at all and have no interest in projecting an "image", and am simply wearing these "tactical" clothes because of their performance in tough civilian jobs.

So yeah, I think you guys are making a big deal out of nothing. I hope so anyway. The last thing I'd want to happen to me is for a criminal to shoot me because I "looked like a cop" with pens on my sleeves and a particular brand of boot.

Gun Nerd
06-19-2012, 12:13 PM
I love guns in entertainment like video games and movies, but I am not a gun person in real life at all and have no interest in projecting an "image", and am simply wearing these "tactical" clothes because of their performance in tough civilian jobs.

So yeah, I think you guys are making a big deal out of nothing. I hope so anyway. The last thing I'd want to happen to me is for a criminal to shoot me because I "looked like a cop" with pens on my sleeves and a particular brand of boot.

I'm sure you're not the only one, but the question is about the assumptions that others (good or bad) will make.

If you were a vegetarian pacifist birdwatcher and dressed in Realtree from head to toe in order to get a closer look at warblers, it wouldn't be surprising if people guessed you were a hunter.

I like the function of some of these clothes (especially the pocket arrangements on EOTAC pants) but I try not to overdo it.

Chuck Haggard
06-20-2012, 11:34 AM
I think the how you carry yourself thing outweighs what you wear.

I've been on vacation wearing cargo shorts, totally non-tactical T-shirt and sandals and had people ask me if I was a cop, or assume that I was a military guy (not now but was) and just walk up and thank me for my service they were so sure of themselves.

jmjames
06-20-2012, 11:48 AM

I've been on vacation wearing cargo shorts, totally non-tactical T-shirt and sandals and had people ask me if I was a cop, or assume that I was a military guy (not now but was) and just walk up and thank me for my service they were so sure of themselves.

This happens to me a lot, and I dress jeans (year round), black Timberlands, and a T-shirt most of the time. When I've asked about it, the response is my short hair, facial scruff, generic ball cap, the sunglasses I wear, and my build. It got even worse when I started wearing a paracord bracelet, but that at least makes sense.

For a long, long time I didn't really "get" it, but then I realized that what I look like on most days is a police officer on his first undercover narcotics assignment... like I'm not comfortable getting TOO far away from the grooming standards, and I just swapped the department issue gear for the civilian equivalent than can be had at WalMart. Oh, it doesn't help that I drive a white Grand Marquis and a lot of people immediately think it's a Crown Vic.

Having folks assume that I am an undercover/off duty/plainsclothed/on vacation LEO on a regular basis is rather... bemusing.

J.Ja

Gun Nerd
06-20-2012, 01:44 PM

True. I've never been in the military, but when I was in my early 30s (and looked younger) and dressed much as you describe, a salesman in an optometrists' shop asked me, "Are you a captain or a lieutenant?" He mumbled and had a little bit of an accent, so between that and the (to me) odd question I had to ask him to repeat himself a couple of times before I got what was going on.

And a salesman in an outdoor shop once started to give me the military discount based on my short hair and Army Ten-Miler T-shirt. (Nice guy - even when I told him I wasn't in the military, he still gave me the discount.)

And then there's this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v509eeeHx1w).

BLR
06-20-2012, 02:11 PM
Dress slacks and jacket - no one will ever know you have a gun. AND you will look better than the unwashed masses.

"Off duty" - canvas khakis with an untucked casual dress shirt one size too big.

Either of the above will give you a totally inconspicuous look that says the opposite of gun-guy.

Just remember, Glocks look tacky with a suit. Sorry FBI guys and gals, they just do. And kydex holsters are an even bigger fashion faux pas.

TGS
06-20-2012, 02:41 PM
wait.....we're talking about fashion.

Where's SouthNarc?!

There's been a fashion comment on a gun forum in support of dressing like a gentleman. Shouldn't there be a ShivWorks sign being beamed up into the sky like the bat signal?

I'm sporting shorts and a linen shirt with the sleeves rolled up today. Perfect concealment garment, comfortable and good look for 93* weather, and I don't look like a contractor wannabe with no life who spends too much money with Botach and taking Grey Group courses. Thank god I'm not in the military anymore and am not required to dress like a dweeb:

Oldrich
06-21-2012, 02:58 AM
I mostly don't wear tacticool gear because I don't like the way it looks. I'm fortunate in that my default mode of dress outside of work -- jeans, t-shirt, and an unbuttoned overshirt -- works very well for concealed carry.

BLR
06-21-2012, 06:38 AM

Where's SouthNarc?!

There's been a fashion comment on a gun forum in support of dressing like a gentleman. Shouldn't there be a ShivWorks sign being beamed up into the sky like the bat signal?

HAHAHA!

I'm just slowly and deliberately undermining the modern pistol fan club here buy attacking a different, new front. Soon, you guys will be sporting JB Hill boots with tailored suits, while concealing proper (and possibly engraved) blued 1911s in high grade cow skin. :cool:

SouthNarc
06-21-2012, 06:55 AM

Where's SouthNarc?!

When the conversation shifts to pocket squares and cufflinks I'll chime in!

orionz06
06-21-2012, 07:47 AM
No shag coat discussion?

JDM
06-21-2012, 08:45 AM
HAHAHA!

I'm just slowly and deliberately undermining the modern pistol fan club here buy attacking a different, new front. Soon, you guys will be sporting JB Hill boots with tailored suits, while concealing proper (and possibly engraved) blued 1911s in high grade cow skin. :cool:

Heretic!

:p

ToddG
06-21-2012, 08:53 AM
When the conversation shifts to pocket squares and cufflinks I'll chime in!

No, because when the conversation turns to pocket squares and cufflinks we'll close the thread like any respectable gun forum would. :cool:

SouthNarc
06-21-2012, 09:15 AM
No, because when the conversation turns to pocket squares and cufflinks we'll close the thread like any respectable gun forum would. :cool:

Hater....

LittleLebowski
06-21-2012, 09:22 AM
OK, OK we'll talk about orange cufflinks and pocket squares. Happy, Todd?

orionz06
06-21-2012, 09:30 AM
WTF is a pocket square?

SouthNarc
06-21-2012, 09:43 AM
WTF is a pocket square?

Phillistine.

ToddG
06-21-2012, 09:47 AM
WTF is a pocket square?

Something that ladies like this wear:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-c1A-bhziFG8/TWMJupEjzJI/AAAAAAAAACM/p3Bv5q-B7kM/s1600/peace-treaty-pocket-square1.jpg

SouthNarc
06-21-2012, 09:53 AM
Steve McQueen wore a pocket square in The Thomas Crown Affair. Old school cool!

We simply don't dress as well as our grandfathers did. I'm changing that....

NickA
06-21-2012, 09:53 AM
WTF is a pocket square?

Gives the BG something pretty to look at while SouthNarc delivers a beating ;)

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

orionz06
06-21-2012, 09:54 AM
Phillistine.
I hear it's great in the fall.

Something that ladies like this wear:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-c1A-bhziFG8/TWMJupEjzJI/AAAAAAAAACM/p3Bv5q-B7kM/s1600/peace-treaty-pocket-square1.jpg[/img]
Now it all makes sense.

Steve McQueen wore a pocket square in [I]The Thomas Crown Affair. Old school cool!

If Steve McQueen were around today he would wear Diesel's, boots, and a Maiden shirt.

ToddG
06-21-2012, 10:14 AM

I expect to see you wearing this in NM in Nov:
http://www.jdmfilmreviews.com/images/steve-mcqueen-wanted.jpg

BLR
06-21-2012, 10:20 AM
AHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

The foundation is cracking! Soon the transition to high quality leather holsters, then comes blued Colt steel!

Jac
06-21-2012, 10:47 AM

Yeah, let's just talk about $1,000 watches instead.

ToddG
06-21-2012, 10:50 AM

Agreed.

Chuck Haggard
06-21-2012, 10:51 AM

When?

Jac
06-21-2012, 11:08 AM

http://pistol-training.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/SN-BFF.jpg

SouthNarc
06-21-2012, 11:21 AM
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! /\ = awesome!

TGS
06-21-2012, 11:22 AM
For all the haters:

SouthNarc
06-21-2012, 11:27 AM
When?

Check these.

http://www.apollinas.com/2011/05/01/the-thomas-crown-affair/

SouthNarc
06-21-2012, 11:27 AM
Nice one TGS!

LittleLebowski
06-21-2012, 11:30 AM

And $2k 1911s :D

Cecil Burch
06-21-2012, 11:30 AM
I expect to see you wearing this in NM in Nov:
http://www.jdmfilmreviews.com/images/steve-mcqueen-wanted.jpg

Todd for the win!

I swear to God, if I could justify that in any way, that would be my daily look, including the Mare's Leg!

ToddG
06-21-2012, 11:33 AM

Win.

LittleLebowski
06-21-2012, 11:36 AM
I'll just be booking my next vacation to Whore Island, don't mind me.

Kyle Reese
06-21-2012, 11:39 AM
I'll just be booking my next vacation to Whore Island, don't mind me.

Awesome shirt!:cool:

ghettomedic
06-21-2012, 12:24 PM

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee87/wootenjones/archer.jpg

Now, as for the thread:

My EDC (Jesus, I hate that term) is a pistol with WML, 2 spare mags, flashlight, SD knife and utility folder, in addition to the usual wallet/keys/cell phone. In the summer in NC I frequently wear short sleeve, button-up plaid shirts and Carhartts or Patagonia stand-up shorts. I don't own any gun-related shirts (with the exception of a 10-8 Performance shirt I got fo' free), have never owned a concealment vest or 5.11 pants and usually wear a baseball cap from a charter sailing company I used to work for. Footwear is usually Salomon XA Pros, Sperry Top-Siders or Chaco sandals. Dress in the other seasons usually involves adding a Mountain Hardwear Windstopper Vest, an Arcteryx Soft Shell (.civ version, no LEAF velcro), a Filson waxed cotton jacket or a 1/4 zip fleece.

I basically look like I should be selling kayaks at the local REI.

Corlissimo
06-21-2012, 01:38 PM

This IS you SN, isn't it? I believe I see a P'Kal clipped to the right front pocket.
Yup... pretty sure I recognize it from your youtube vid on it. :)

Gotta score me one of those funky Fett helmets too. :cool:

SouthNarc
06-21-2012, 02:01 PM
That's indeed me! Gotta' dress to the audience!

Chuck Haggard
06-22-2012, 09:24 AM
Check these.

http://www.apollinas.com/2011/05/01/the-thomas-crown-affair/

Yeah, but you said YOU were changing that paradigm. I've seen how you dress, and it ain't like that.

This whole thread reminds me that Steve McQueen was a bad motherfucker. I need to watch Bullitt and The Getaway again.

I also MUST find a decent Boba Fett helmet for FoF training here at work.

SouthNarc
06-22-2012, 09:30 AM
I don't dress like that when I'm teaching.

Okay guess I'm gonna' have to do an ECQC class in Tom Ford now!

Go read the Bruce Wayne NPE thread on TPI. You can see the pics from my latest social experiment.

Chuck Haggard
06-22-2012, 10:12 AM

Go read the Bruce Wayne NPE thread on TPI. You can see the pics from my latest social experiment.

I saw HH's original poast and had not had a chance to get back to that thread. Man, that really exploded.

I needs me some self MUCing shoes.

Chuck Haggard
06-22-2012, 02:13 PM

I wanted to publically say that I stand corrected. Mr. South is indeed changing all that.

Please, carry on.

NickA
06-22-2012, 03:34 PM
I wanted to publically say that I stand corrected. Mr. South is indeed changing all that.

Please, carry on.

Don't feel bad, I believe SN is the tip of the spear in the "tactical dandy " movement :) the rest of us will have to play catch up.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2