PDA

View Full Version : PPQ / VP9

KVDT
01-14-2016, 11:20 AM
I have a PPQ M2 but I am interested in the HK VP9. While I haven't replaced my Glock 19 with the PPQ I have a desire to find a pistol I like better. Is there any reason to assume the VP9 would have a better chance to replace the 19 if the PPQ didn't. In other words, is the PPQ and VP9 close enough that I should save the $600 and look elsewhere.

HCM
01-14-2016, 11:41 AM
I have a PPQ M2 but I am interested in the HK VP9. While I haven't replaced my Glock 19 with the PPQ I have a desire to find a pistol I like better. Is there any reason to assume the VP9 would have a better chance to replace the 19 if the PPQ didn't. In other words, is the PPQ and VP9 close enough that I should save the $600 and look elsewhere.

What was it you didn't like about the PPQ ?

Overall the PPQ is a good gun however the trigger which is so nice on the range makes some people nervous in a carry gun. I find the grip a bit slick and recoil feels a bit snappier than comparably sized polymer frame guns.

For me, the VP-9 addresses all three of these issues and I don't have to adapt to the gun as much as the Glock to shoot it well.

Cool Breeze
01-14-2016, 12:05 PM

I second this question. Both guns are considerably larger than the Glock 19 - I view both of those guns as replacing a Glock 17 in the same use category but not a G19, unless you have no problem concealing the large gun or do not carry it concealed.

KVDT
01-14-2016, 12:57 PM

Overall the PPQ is a good gun however the trigger which is so nice on the range makes some people nervous in a carry gun. I find the grip a bit slick and recoil feels a bit snappier than comparably sized polymer frame guns.

For me, the VP-9 addresses all three of these issues and I don't have to adapt to the gun as much as the Glock to shoot it well.

I like the PPQ. I think with a talon grip I might like it better. It feels slippery and kind of cheap to me. The 7th round of my first mag thru the gun went click. I chucked the round out and the primer did not have a mark on it. I haven't had any other issues after that but I don't trust it after reading others had the same issues. I do carry my 19 probably 75% of the time so it would potentially replace that. I have shot the P320 and liked it except the one I shot had the large take down lever that hurt my weak hand thumb.

Sam
01-14-2016, 01:13 PM
I like the PPQ. I think with a talon grip I might like it better. It feels slippery and kind of cheap to me. The 7th round of my first mag thru the gun went click. I chucked the round out and the primer did not have a mark on it. I haven't had any other issues after that but I don't trust it after reading others had the same issues. I do carry my 19 probably 75% of the time so it would potentially replace that. I have shot the P320 and liked it except the one I shot had the large take down lever that hurt my weak hand thumb.

If the new P320s don't have the flat profile take down lever then you can get them through Sig. I ordered these new take down levers through Sig and just received them yesterday.

navyman8903
01-14-2016, 08:19 PM
I've got to say, having fired both side by side, the VP9 noses out the PPQ for me. I went in trying to hate the PPQ as a VP9 owner with about 1700ish rounds through my gun at that point. I just couldn't though. The PPQ is a great all around gun. There are some things I take issue with, I HATE plastic sights period, and the range rental I ran had a warped front blade leaning noticeably to the right. Funny thing is, they know about it and won't fix it.

I find the quality, fit/finish, feel, recoil impulse and how it fits in my had, goes to the VP9 all day. The VP9 trigger fits my shooting style better, but the PPQ's trigger is excellent. You can also get a light on there no problem, where as the PPQ takes a full size light barely. If that's your thing. But it's up to you either way. I think even with the other two, you'll be able to appreciate and shoot the VP9 very well.

HopetonBrown
01-14-2016, 08:24 PM
I HATE plastic sights period

They make steel replacements.

I have a PPQ but never shoot it. Don't like the higher bore axis, so I continue to shoot Glocks. I don't think it or the VP9 are magically any better than a Glock with a TTI connector.

RJ
01-14-2016, 09:07 PM

I looked hard at a P320, VP9 and PPQ for a new pistol last March.

I compared a PPQ and the VP9 at a LGS. The ergos for both were great. I noticed a big difference in trigger pull weight right away. That, and reports of inadvertent double taps on the PPQ led me to eliminate it from contention for me.

Hot Sauce
01-14-2016, 11:51 PM

Going against the grain of consensus here, but I prefer the PPQ much more than the VP9. It conceals better, like a G19, due to being a bit more rounded out.

I also am a fan of the pre-travel on trigger, and the fact that the break is further to the rear in comparison to the VP9. Also, no trigger trough to pinch your finger.

Yes, the recoil impulse is sharper than a G19, but its mostly an issue of feel rather than one that has a negative impact on accurate shooting speeds.

Only thing it lacks is a Gadget.

LockedBreech
01-15-2016, 12:04 AM
I recently got a VP9. My first HK. Very nice pistol, oozes build quality. I have a Walther PPS and while very well built, as well as my Glock 19, there's a little extra to the HK. Really feels incredibly sound.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SecondsCount
01-15-2016, 12:40 AM
I recently got a VP9. My first HK. Very nice pistol, oozes build quality. I have a Walther PPS and while very well built, as well as my Glock 19, there's a little extra to the HK. Really feels incredibly sound.

I rented a PPQ once and it just felt cheap to me compared to the P30. The VP9 also has a similar feel to the P30.

Hot Sauce
01-15-2016, 01:08 AM
I rented a PPQ once and it just felt cheap to me compared to the P30. The VP9 also has a similar feel to the P30.

I find it somewhat odd when people say something else feels cheap, but then say a VP9 doesn't, with it's "oh shit, afterthought" of an ambi slide release.

Then again, I'm more concerned about reliability versus perceived build quality. The P30 has definitely been proven reliable, arguably the most hardy pistol currently available. As far as the VP9 goes, jury is still out. It'd be interesting to see a TLG level long-term test done with it.

SecondsCount
01-15-2016, 01:32 AM
I find it somewhat odd when people say something else feels cheap, but then say a VP9 doesn't, with it's "oh shit, afterthought" of an ambi slide release.

Then again, I'm more concerned about reliability versus perceived build quality. The P30 has definitely been proven reliable, arguably the most hardy pistol currently available. As far as the VP9 goes, jury is still out. It'd be interesting to see a TLG level long-term test done with it.

How can I be more clear. It was a feeling when the trigger was pulled and the gun fired. Not necessarily longevity or build quality.

Robert Mitchum
01-15-2016, 01:47 AM
keep my VP9 very clean but I keep all my pistols very clean and lubed.
Have had zero malfunctions with the VP9...
2500 rounds... not that much but
100 rounds of HST 147 grain ...
100 Rounds Gold Dot 124+p grain ...
100 Rounds of Critical Duty 9MM+P 135 gr.
So I trust it for every day carry.
I don't throw mine at objects or do I place it in mud or water that is just my personality trying to keep my guns clean and working.
If someone is going to be rolling around in water you might want a different pistol for carry.
As far as the PPQ goes I had one but gave it to my Wife she traded because the trigger and the felt recoil.
PPQ is a very accurate reliable pistol but again JMO not what I was looking for in a carry pistol.

The VP9 in my hands is the best feeling best shooting 9mm pistol I own.
Better than my USP 9 and better than P30l .
25 Yards Indoors over 30 rounds Very slow fire ..
Took 20 minutes to complete.

Trooper224
01-15-2016, 03:09 AM
When I decided to switch to a polymer pistol as a CCW the VP9 and PPQ wound up being my two front runners. I don't see the issue of feeling cheap. Both are made with German precision. In the end, they're all plastic fantastics and in that sense they all feel cheap. Anything else, in my opinion, is perception or bias. Two things that struck me as resoundingly cheap on the VP9 were the right side slide stop and the luminescent dots on the sights. The first seems like an afterthought and the latter seems light a bubba kitchen table addition. The only thing cheap on the PPQ are the plastic sights, something that makes me scratch my head. Before laying money down, I shot five different VP9s and three different PPQs. I liked the ergos on both, but the triggers varied quite a bit with the VP9s, whereas the PPQs demonstrated more consistency. I preferred the more rounded contours of the PPQ for use as a CCW and a five inch model was available. I think they're both excellent choices and any differences are pretty minor.

GJM
01-15-2016, 08:01 AM
Out of the box, a PPQ clearly has one of the best, if not the best triggers, of any striker.

Quality is pretty subjective, and HK brand loyalty is so high, it doesn't surprise me that many prefer a VP9. My opinion is that the PPQ and VP9 are closer in quality than they are different in quality. I could be happy with either.

Beat Trash
01-15-2016, 09:07 AM
It is my understanding that Germany does not permit tritium sights. The glow in the dark pained sights like those on the VP9 are what can be sold in Germany. I was led to believe that all VP9's are shipped into the US with those sights. The guns designated for night sights have them installed by HK USA once the guns are in this country.

My point is that you can't fault either of the two guns too much because of substandard factory sights.

To me, the quality of the VP9 and of the PPQ are both what can be expected of German made firearms. Each has their strong points and each has somethings that I'm not too fond of. Either of them are heads and shoulders above the issued M&P9's I've been carrying for almost 10 years.

I've shot both the VP9 and the PPQ. I own a VP9. My best advice I could give if asked would be to try to arrange to shoot both at the same time. Buy whichever one you like better. The actually difference between these two guns has come to the point where it's a matter of personal preference. Sort of a "Blonds vs. Brunettes" kind of choice. Or you could be "a Player" and get both...

LockedBreech
01-15-2016, 09:21 AM
To be clear I wasn't saying Walther makes a "cheap" feeling gun - I wouldn't carry a PPS 7 days a week if that was my perception - just that the HK feels a bit fancier. Sorta like Glock vs. Sig. Still both really good.

jc000
01-15-2016, 09:34 AM
While nowhere near Glock levels, is the consensus that aftermarket support (parts, holsters, etc.) between the PPQ and VP9 is similar or does one pull away from the other?

Mitch
01-15-2016, 11:26 AM
When it comes down to it they're all just striker fired polymer pistols. They're more alike than not, so if you don't like the Glock all that much you probably won't be over the moon for a ppq or vp9.

I'd keep the G19 for practical reasons, and if you're searching for enjoyment check out revolvers, 1911s, or rifles or shotguns.

GJM
01-15-2016, 11:30 AM
While nowhere near Glock levels, is the consensus that aftermarket support (parts, holsters, etc.) between the PPQ and VP9 is similar or does one pull away from the other?

My opinion in terms of after market support is:

1) Sig 320

2) VP9

3) PPQ

JSGlock34
01-15-2016, 06:34 PM
This is what I wrote the last time we discussed this (VP9 and PPQ M2 thread (https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?14985-VP9-and-the-PPQ-M2))...

I also directly compared these two pistols, yet I personally gave the edge to the VP9. I found that any advantage the PPQ trigger may have granted in speed was negated by the PPQ's comparatively snappy recoil. There is no question that the PPQ has a terrific trigger, but it was a bit 'sporty' for my taste. This is what I've written previously in other threads...

It is really no wonder that whenever the PPQ is brought up the HK VP9 is not far behind. The PPQ and VP9 are unquestionably very similar pistols and therefore invite direct comparisons. In terms of dimensions, controls (especially the PPQ M1), capacity, style - they resemble each other closely. I even used a Raven Phantom molded for the PPQ as a range holster until I acquired a dedicated holster for the VP9. It was these very similarities that drove me to eliminate one so as to focus my efforts on improving with the other.

From that perspective, I sold my Walther PPQ in favor of focusing on my VP9. I found the VP9 more 'shootable' than the PPQ. Both pistols are very accurate and come out of the box with terrific triggers (in both categories they are a cut above Glock), but I find the VP9 trigger better suited for carry. The PPQ trigger is very light with an extremely short reset - and little margin for error. The PPQ felt top heavy in comparison to the VP9. I also found the PPQ somewhat 'snappy', whereas the VP9 is unremarkable in recoil. While the PPQ grip is excellent, there is no question that the VP9/P30 grip is the best available.

Both the PPQ and VP9 are high quality pistols and merit consideration.

Both also serve equally well as background for watch pictures...

OhioFinance
01-15-2016, 07:08 PM
If the new P320s don't have the flat profile take down lever then you can get them through Sig. I ordered these new take down levers through Sig and just received them yesterday.

Do you have the specific part number?

Sam
01-16-2016, 02:04 AM
Do you have the specific part number?

Looks like it's:

1300777-R