PDA

View Full Version : In car camera systems?

secondstoryguy
01-14-2016, 01:10 AM
My agency has decided to replace it's aging COBAN in car video systems with the new Taser in car systems. The Taser system appears to be simply a body cam in a mount at the top of the windshield and I'm not so sure about this. Has anyone had their in car systems replaced recently and if so what are you using? Do you like it?

pablo
01-14-2016, 02:26 AM
We recently upgraded our crappy L3 cameras with newer crap L3 cameras. We were looking at the Axon fleet cameras but Taser is taking us to the cleaners on storage fees right now. When we bought the body cameras, the rocket scientist at HQ decided not to pay extra for unlimited cloud storage and were are getting slammed on overages.

I think Taser has the best infrastructure going and being an independent entity, it's pretty hard for agency "technology" people to screw it up.

KeeFus
01-14-2016, 07:03 AM
We have had good success with the Digital Ally in-car camera system. Any issue we have had with them the company has stood behind the product and replaced them.

http://www.digitalallyinc.com/inCarVideo.cfm

They also have a body cam that syncs with the in-car camera system. We do not use that...yet...so I dont know how well it works.

taadski
01-14-2016, 12:31 PM
We're using the Digital Ally units too. (500s and a handful of 750s). We've had them in service for 5ish years and they've done a good job on the whole. And as Keefus mentioned, their support network is GTG.

t

pablo
01-14-2016, 02:42 PM
We have had good success with the Digital Ally in-car camera system. Any issue we have had with them the company has stood behind the product and replaced them.

http://www.digitalallyinc.com/inCarVideo.cfm

They also have a body cam that syncs with the in-car camera system. We do not use that...yet...so I dont know how well it works.

What are you guys you for video storage? An in-house server or a third party product?

KeeFus
01-14-2016, 02:52 PM
What are you guys you for video storage? An in-house server or a third party product?

Digital Ally cameras use a digital camera card. The in-car camera will show how much is left on the display window in the mirror. We are allowed to take out the camera card and give it to the Patrol Captain, who then gives us another one to put back into the camera. He then takes the old one and uploads it into our in-house server. We keep them for 180 days and, if they aren't checked for hold for court or burned to a CD, they are deleted automatically.

The older units like mine (4 years old) use these big SD cards: http://www.walmart.com/ip/35609143?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0&adid=22222222227024078163&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=t&wl3=42969308912&wl4=&wl5=pla&wl6=81461502392&veh=sem

The newer units use a normal size SD card.

taadski
01-14-2016, 03:26 PM
Digital Ally cameras use a digital camera card. The in-car camera will show how much is left on the display window in the mirror. We are allowed to take out the camera card and give it to the Patrol Captain, who then gives us another one to put back into the camera. He then takes the old one and uploads it into our in-house server. We keep them for 180 days and, if they aren't checked for hold for court or burned to a CD, they are deleted automatically.

The older units like mine (4 years old) use these big SD cards: http://www.walmart.com/ip/35609143?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0&adid=22222222227024078163&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=t&wl3=42969308912&wl4=&wl5=pla&wl6=81461502392&veh=sem

The newer units use a normal size SD card.

Yep. Same, same. We have a dedicated download station that feeds a dedicated server (and backup). Stuff is deleted according to settings on their software priority system (accessible in the administrative menus). Camera software updates are done at the terminal via download (or even via email). It's a pretty well thought out and user friendly system, IME.

t

KenpoTex
01-19-2016, 11:16 AM
We used Digital Ally. When the memory cards were full, we'd download them ourselves in the patrol office.

About 2 years ago, we switched to Watch Guard which downloads over WiFi to an onsite server when our cruisers are in range (basically in the parking lot at HQ). The cameras also have a USB drive that can be removed by a supervisor and downloaded in the event that the car can't be taken to the office or if the camera is damaged (wreck, etc.).

The Watch Guard system has worked very well for us so far and is really user-friendly. You don't have to enter a login like we did with Digital Ally; you just select your name from a drop-down menu when you get into your car and the video will upload to your "folder" on the server. This is beneficial when driving different cars because it only takes about 5 seconds to switch users.
You can designate the type of recording (traffic stop, dwi, pursuit, mva, etc.) and even enter the case number prior to the upload.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk