PDA

View Full Version : "You Don't Have to Learn"

peterb
10-06-2011, 10:48 AM
Just read a good new article on some of the issues that may affect some female shooter's decisions to pursue training. Although focused on women's issues, some of them could apply to anyone. Worth a read.
http://www.corneredcat.com/You_Dont_Have_to_Learn/

NickA
10-06-2011, 11:31 AM
Thanks, that's an excellent read. Kathy Jackson really knows her stuff. My wife is showing an increasing interest in concealed carry and self defense, I need to get her to check out that site.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

ford.304
10-31-2011, 06:23 PM
So an interesting subtext in that... the gun store operator saying "you don't have to learn" is assuming several things:

1) That the default assumption of women going into a gun shop is that you will need to become an expert or hobbyist to learn how to shoot.
2) That the default attitude of most women going into a gun shop for the first time is that they do not necessarily *want* to become a hobbyist, but merely obtain the core benefits of protection and occasional range fun.
3) That this difference will result in a basic level of intimidation on the part of the woman.

It is, ultimately, as a concern over a level of interest - that the woman will not have the same level of interest in firearms in general as a man, and therefore will want to spend as little time becoming proficient as possible.

It's not good... but it's also probably based on personal experience with women... always wonder how much that experience is due more to how men grow up idolizing guns and shooters, or just a general propensity to geek out on things. You see the same sort of attitude when most girls start in something guy dominated, whereas you never heard a woman make recommendations to a male shopper because they're worried about *him* being worried that he'll have to learn something.

Odin Bravo One
10-31-2011, 07:28 PM
My girl hates the condescending gun store dudes more than I do.

To a certain extent, they are probably right insofar as many women do not want to "learn". But there are exceptions to the rule. My girl bugs me to go to the range. She bugs me to take her where she can get extra instruction. She bugs me about when she can start learning the carbine.

Regardless of the exceptions, or standard, or typical. Proper protocol should involve some Q&A to determine what a woman wants, needs, and is willing to put forth in her pursuit of firearms related activities/ownership. I know it is wishful thinking, but a guy can dream.