PDA

View Full Version : Spare Magazine Pocket Carry

GAP
01-12-2016, 12:18 AM
Good evening, I am looking for feedback on pocket magazine holsters. Are they worth it? Anyone do it on a regular basis? I've tried Kytex and others for OWB. I like them but they still print like crazy under a t-shirt or polo.

I am looking at the Alabama Holster Kydex version, desantis mag packer type or a raven pocket shield w/ a blue force single mag pouch. Biggest concerns are printing and comfort in jeans.

Please let me know pros, cons, experiences.

Thank you

ssb
01-12-2016, 12:25 AM
I've tried the Pocket Shield/Blue Force Gear thing with a Glock mag. It simply isn't workable. The BFG pouch is too tight, and there's not enough anchoring it in the pocket. Concealment is fine in my jeans, however. It works well with single-stack PPS mags.

orionz06
01-12-2016, 12:35 AM
I hate to be spammy but if you can't stretch the pouch enough I have a shell that works with the Shield.

You can still test out how the configuration would feel with some zip ties or twine and the Shield, or tape for that matter. Get the mag positioned satisfactorily and then see how it works and conceals. As much as I love the pocket shield if you're in jeans I think the pockets are more suitable for the Desantis. If it were dress pants or khakis I'd say pocket shield all day long.

Cecil Burch
01-12-2016, 01:35 AM
I use the pocket shield/blue force gear combo and it's awesome. Whether jeans or canvas pants, cargo shorts, or my business dress pants, I have had zero issues with fit or comfort.

During the work week, I carry an 8 Rd PPS mag, and on the weekends, it's my P2000sk mag. Both work perfectly. I actually plan on shooting the local Thursday night USPSA fun shoot next week using just the pocket shield as my carrier. While it may put me a bit behind everyone else, I don't think it will be such a detriment and it will be good work in using it under pressure.

ssb
01-12-2016, 01:50 AM
I hate to be spammy but if you can't stretch the pouch enough I have a shell that works with the Shield.

You can still test out how the configuration would feel with some zip ties or twine and the Shield, or tape for that matter. Get the mag positioned satisfactorily and then see how it works and conceals. As much as I love the pocket shield if you're in jeans I think the pockets are more suitable for the Desantis. If it were dress pants or khakis I'd say pocket shield all day long.

Do you have any pics of the mag carrier shell?

GAP
01-12-2016, 07:41 AM
Thanks, please keep the ideas coming. I am really torn on which one to try. The Desantis looks like it has the flexibility to mold to your leg, but I wonder about the craftsmanship, durability and Glock mag retention?

I like the idea of the Raven moduloader but I am not sure if it will hold up to repeated training sessions or look like a medieval shield stuffed in my pants?

The Alabama holster co. has a kydex pocket mag holster. Probably the best retention but maybe least comfortable since it won't be able to move and mold with your leg?

JodyH
01-12-2016, 08:07 AM
DeSantis mag packer is a pretty solid product. I've used the same one for a few years with my SK and another one for my PM9 mags and they work just fine in most pockets.

orionz06
01-12-2016, 08:19 AM
The shield seems to be holding up just fine.

Sent from my Nokia 3310 using an owl

voodoo_man
01-12-2016, 09:57 AM
I just keep a mag in my back pocket held in place by a flashlight.

Recently i started carrying an ets 22rnd mag and it fits perfectly to the side of most rear pockets.

Irelander
01-12-2016, 10:24 AM
I tried the Pocket Shield and 10-Speed pouch for me PPS and while it worked fairly well, I really missed the pocket space. I am currently using the 10-Speed pouch on my belt and it is working pretty good with PPS mags. Doubt I could conceal G17 mags very well in that regard.

Not sure if this product has been discussed before. A friend of mine told me about them and we are both trying to decide if its worth a try.

The SNAGMAG (http://www.snagmag.com/).
http://cdn1.bigcommerce.com/n-63unu/6c8st8j/products/76/images/323/DSC_2680__27140.1392790865.1280.1280.jpg?c=2

http://cdn1.bigcommerce.com/n-63unu/6c8st8j/products/76/images/328/DSC_7760__89878.1433859236.1280.1280.jpg?c=2

What are you guys thoughts on it?

GAP
01-12-2016, 11:07 AM
Too exposed and too much room to move for my purpose, the desantis looks decent enough to try though. $20 bucks, if I hate it no biggie.

Drang
01-12-2016, 12:17 PM
At the NRA Annual Meeting last soring I snagged an NRA branded Pocket Mag Pouch (http://www.amazon.com/Elite-Survival-Systems-PMP-Pocket/dp/B005DH2I7S/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1452618821&sr=8-3&keywords=Pocket+Magazine+Pouch) made by Elite Survival Systems. I think NRA Store had them on clearance, no longer listed on that web site.
It works.
Drawing the mag might be a little slower than simply pulling the mag from the pocket, but I decided I needed a pocket pouch because I had found looses rounds in my pocket, that had escaped from the mag.
YMMV. Other might be better

Cecil Burch
01-12-2016, 01:17 PM
I like the idea of the Raven moduloader but I am not sure if it will hold up to repeated training sessions or look like a medieval shield stuffed in my pants?

I was one of the beta testers for the pocket shield. In fact, I think I had the fourth one ever made. Chris asked me to beat the hell out of them to find weaknesses. I would grab the toughest brown and black belt training partners and roll for hours. Since then, I have gone through three different versions of the original (as Chris Fry looked for the optimal width/thickness metric) and four different production ones from RCS.

The only one that did not hold up was the second version that was made super thin to see how thin Chris could go. There is a reason the production models are thicker.....

The RCS ones are super durable. Even cutting portions of the material away (to maximize the position in my pockets), they have yet to develop any cracks. And that is with the first production run model. The later ones seem to be even stronger.

Clusterfrack
01-12-2016, 03:53 PM
I use a modified Sticky Holsters (http://amzn.com/B00KBZJ8J8) double mag pouch. I cut off all the extra velcro and flaps, and cut off one of the pouches. It's nice and thin, and holds a single 17 round mag.

Sasage
01-13-2016, 03:48 PM
Most of the guys that I see pocket carry a spare mag do so and some sort of modified RCS pocket shield

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

GAP
01-13-2016, 07:15 PM
One day and twenty bucks later I decided to give the Desantis Mag Packer a "shot."

The build quality is better than I anticipated, it doesn't feel cheap like I was expecting. I inserted a G19 mag and performed about 40 empty reloads to test it and experienced a clean draw each time. I drew the mag straight up and out which caught the front wing on my pocket and it worked every time.

I see this is a niche item similar to the RCS Vanguard for deep concealment. My draw is certainly faster with a traditional OWB mag pouch. However, it does provide me with an effective way to conceal a spare magazine without needing a cover garment or sloppy fit clothing.

Time will tell if it holds up to actual training sessions, but so far so good.

DI1
01-13-2016, 07:25 PM
The new style Blue Force Gear 10 speed double mag pouch works very well in a pocket and can be used with or without the RCS shield.

breakingtime91
01-13-2016, 08:38 PM
DeSantis mag packer is a pretty solid product. I've used the same one for a few years with my SK and another one for my PM9 mags and they work just fine in most pockets.

which one you using for the SK?

JodyH
01-13-2016, 11:15 PM
which one you using for the SK?
Whatever one they sell for the Glock 26 mags.
Fits the SK mags just fine.

BobLoblaw
01-14-2016, 05:19 PM
I like the mag packer a lot but it yields a visible mag shape through my pockets. You skinny-legged dudes probably don't have that problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

voodoo_man
01-14-2016, 05:43 PM
I carried with the Bianchi Russet (http://www.vdmsr.com/2014/12/bianchi-russet.html) for a while, in the AIWB position (only position I felt comfortable in) and it was good, for the most part.

I like the mag packer, I might have to try it out.

GAP
01-14-2016, 07:17 PM
I carried with the Bianchi Russet (http://www.vdmsr.com/2014/12/bianchi-russet.html) for a while, in the AIWB position (only position I felt comfortable in) and it was good, for the most part.

I like the mag packer, I might have to try it out.

I did another 30 reps or so with the draw and I'm still liking it.. it's pretty low profile, the only shape you see through the pocket is the magazine baseplate.. I'm super critical with gear.. Normally instead of finding something I like about it, I try to find something wrong with it. For pocket carry, it does its job and it's inexpensive.

Crews
01-14-2016, 10:43 PM
Desantis for me, unless I'm wearing thin slacks. Still haven't figured out a good option for that yet.

Erick Gelhaus
01-16-2016, 01:46 AM
For at least 12 months, probably a lot longer, I've been using the DeSantis pocket mag pouch for a stock G17 mag. It's the spare for my daily G19 & light carried AIWB. I really like the set up.

breakingtime91
01-17-2016, 02:43 PM
do you guys carry in your back pocket or front?

JodyH
01-17-2016, 07:01 PM
Front or thigh cargo.

Drang
01-17-2016, 07:01 PM
When I pocket carry, the gun goes in right front, the magazine goes in left front.

Erick Gelhaus
01-17-2016, 07:22 PM
Magazine goes in the weak-side front pocket.

breakingtime91
01-17-2016, 07:28 PM
Magazine goes in the weak-side front pocket.

ok, thinking of picking one up. Nothing IWB I have tried has been that great... owb is pretty hard for me.

GAP
01-17-2016, 08:03 PM
ok, thinking of picking one up. Nothing IWB I have tried has been that great... owb is pretty hard for me.

Same.. I've been using the mag packer daily since I purchased it, and it's been great. Bullets up/forward in the support side front pocket. Grab and draw straight up so the top "wing" gets caught on the top of your pocket.

breakingtime91
01-17-2016, 08:06 PM
Same.. I've been using the mag packer daily since I purchased it, and it's been great. Bullets up/forward in the support side front pocket. Grab and draw straight up so the top "wing" gets caught on the top of your pocket.

might have to shift how I carry my E1b surefire then... hmmm

FPS
02-12-2016, 06:08 PM
I bought the Desantis mag packer based on JodyH's recommendation a few weeks ago - big thumbs up. By far the most low profile solution I have found (after trying several and returning).