PDA

View Full Version : My dryfire J-frame just died.

Mitchell, Esq.
10-06-2011, 07:59 AM
I was doing my morning 1,000 days of dryfire with my J frame when the trigger stopped moving the cylinder.

This is the 2nd time this gun has gone down like this. The first was during this summer on the range.

I have the shop manual now, so I'll see what I can do with it, but I think it's time to either have it rebuild internally, or repair whatever broke & retire it.

Joe Mamma
10-06-2011, 08:19 AM
Is it a broken hammer block? If so, S&W changed this part slightly. Maybe you just need a newer one.

If you don't mind me asking, what broke the first time the gun went down?

Joe Mamma

Tamara
10-18-2011, 09:00 AM
Not to necropost, but how old is said J-frame?

Mitchell, Esq.
10-18-2011, 09:15 AM
Circa 1987.

In fact, watching Miami Vice, it's the gun Tubbs carries. A blued S&W M-49.

It's my favorite club. It's got great heft, good balance, fits the hand nice when I'm throwing a straight right, hook or an uppercut...

And it can shoot too.

Fav gun? No...but impact weapon? YES.

VolGrad
10-18-2011, 09:17 AM
I don't believe a word of the first post. I've always been told by the guy on the other side of the LGS counter a revolver is the best way to go because it's the most reliable. They say they can't go down. :p

Mitchell, Esq.
10-18-2011, 09:27 AM
I don't believe a word of the first post. I've always been told by the guy on the other side of the LGS counter a revolver is the best way to go because it's the most reliable. They say they can't go down. :p

Then I'll send you mine, as is, in exchange for a 4th Gen Glock 17.

VolGrad
10-18-2011, 09:33 AM
Then I'll send you mine, as is, in exchange for a 4th Gen Glock 17.
Heck, I don't want either .... a Gen4 G17 -or- a revolver with a dead trigger. ;)

I'll stick with my Gen3 GLOCKs.