PDA

View Full Version : Ego and Training Mindset.

GardoneVT
01-11-2016, 01:24 PM
I just wrote a blog post (http://www.rollingscissors.net/?p=236)about the subject of ego distorting one's view of performance.

Out of curiosity, how prevalent is this in the shooting world and what steps can an individual & an organization take to ensure training is rooted in fact, instead of being an emotional band-aid over mediocrity?

voodoo_man
01-11-2016, 02:03 PM
Easiear way i have found is to develop standards, and not the magical type, but the type that are rooted in hard numbers. Then shoot those standards everytime you go to the range.

For example, i run a 200 drill everytime i goto the range, if i hit below a certain number i stop shooting, pack it up and go home because all i am doing is turning money into noise. I dryfire and when i get back to it ill run another one and see how well i do.

If you dont have standards, go find some. There is no shortage of range drills and find those that are hard, those that you'll fail and those that make you feel bad about yourself, and you should feel bad because you suck. Hopefully that will motivate you to practice and become better. If it doesnt that means you need instruction. Go pay for it.

The easiest part is sometimes the most neglected. Keep records. We have training journals here for that, you can keep a notebook if you want, either way you cant know where to go if you dont know where youve been.

BN
01-11-2016, 03:55 PM
I'm a private person, so starting a public training journal here was a big step for me. :)

Something I've done, is try to be the first one to post results on DotW. That way everybody knows the true results about how I can shoot.

OnionsAndDragons
01-11-2016, 04:04 PM
^^^^^

Standards. Period. I try and shoot the Rangemaster Q every 3-4 sessions.

I've been looking for something to shoot at the beginning of a session to add a little more diagnostic. I normally shot dot torture, and if I hate myself afterwards go home and dry practice like VDM said.

We've run into more issues with wasted days with my SO, Hannah. She isn't to the point where she can shoot dots and decide if she should press on. She likes to try and fight through, which is an admirable trait, but not really that productive in a situation that costs money at the same time. She knows when she isn't feeling it, but has said she needs better confirmation to decide to go home and save the money. I think I'll suggest shooting the 200 at the beginning of session this year and see how that goes.

Thanks for the suggestion, VDM.

Bookmarking this to go back and read Gardones blog when I get home.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Guinnessman
01-12-2016, 08:48 PM
^^^^^

Standards. Period. I try and shoot the Rangemaster Q every 3-4 sessions.

I've been looking for something to shoot at the beginning of a session to add a little more diagnostic. I normally shot dot torture, and if I hate myself afterwards go home and dry practice like VDM said.

We've run into more issues with wasted days with my SO, Hannah. She isn't to the point where she can shoot dots and decide if she should press on. She likes to try and fight through, which is an admirable trait, but not really that productive in a situation that costs money at the same time. She knows when she isn't feeling it, but has said she needs better confirmation to decide to go home and save the money. I think I'll suggest shooting the 200 at the beginning of session this year and see how that goes.

Thanks for the suggestion, VDM.

Bookmarking this to go back and read Gardones blog when I get home.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Where can one find the Rangemaster Q? Thanks.