PDA

View Full Version : Dawson adjustable Glock rear sight

GJM
01-10-2016, 07:47 PM
https://dawsonprecision.com/glock-adjustable-black-rear-sights/

Ever since I got an adjustable rear sight on my game CZ pistols, my wife has gotten very finicky about her exact zero. She has three Glock 34 pistols set up with fiber optic sights, but there is enough difference between shooter ball and our Berry's 124 reloads at 25 yards, that she asked me about an adjustable rear.

Any experience with this Dawson? I note it will require a taller front sight than she is using now.

Kevin B.
01-10-2016, 07:51 PM
I used a set on a Glock overseas and I just put a set on a new (to me) G22. The sight picture is tighter than I prefer but I have done some pretty good shooting with them.

Trajan
01-10-2016, 07:51 PM
I use this on every Glock I own. Not a single problem. Been carrying them everyday since Jan 2012, using since June 2011. Even swam with them. Only thing to look out for is the finish sucks, so oil them if you sweat a lot or you go swimming with it, or it's pouring rain in a class/match.

I always found it funny how the tactical crowd has been afraid of adjustable sights, yet is quickly putting electronic optics on their slides.

voodoo_man
01-10-2016, 07:53 PM
http://www.vdmsr.com/2015/06/psa-dawson-adjustable-rear-sights.html

Just leave this here...

Trajan
01-10-2016, 08:02 PM

Just leave this here...

I have seen this happen when someone has hit the windage screw with a punch and hammer.

BN
01-10-2016, 08:09 PM
We have a couple of them on Susan's Glock 17's. I give then 3 out of 5 stars. The adjustment is not as precise as something like a Bomar. They can rust. The sight picture is good with a Dawson fiber front sight. They are maybe the easiest way to get decent adjustables on a Glock without slide modification. Ours are several years old. They might have improved them. Don't lose the little springs.

okie john
01-10-2016, 08:14 PM
I've been using two of them for several years. One is stock, and I had the notch on the other one opened up to about 0.180" to make it a little faster to use.

Aside from the propensity to rust that Trajan mentioned I have seen two issues with them.

First, the windage adjustment is a little coarse and you can end up straddling the X ring at 25 yards. For instance, if I have a group just left of the X, then one click of windage will move the group just right of the X. When that happens, I get out the sight press, bump the sight over a bit and try again. That usually lets me center the group.

The second issue is that the blade is spring loaded, and the windage adjustment screw will spin freely if I get too far to one side. I have seen this on the sight that I had altered. To be fair, this sight may have been damaged during the alteration. It also has been on and off of several guns, which also may have damaged it, or it might just be worn out--it has seen a LOT of adjustment over the years. In any case, when this happens, I just mash the spring-loaded blade to the side with my thumb and the screw catches again.

All in all, they're a very good piece of gear. With that said, I think that if she's looking to regularly change the zero on a game gun, then I'd look at something like a copy of the Bomar, which I think Kensight (http://stores.kensight.com/) makes, or an LPA. Or zero one gun for your shooter ball load and another for your Berry's reload.

Okie John

Trajan
01-10-2016, 08:28 PM
Dawson does make a Bomar style rear: https://dawsonprecision.com/024-026/

They do however require a .335 rear, which can be an issue. My Raven Phantom couldn't even handle the .285 front I normally use. The one liked has a Bomar standard .115 notch. The "new" style one the OP linked has a .125.

I haven't ever had a windage issue. Aside from gaining the ability to not push a Glock to the left, I have never had to adjust the rear for windage. Elevation on the other hand... Quite surprising the difference between 115/124 and 147.

Kevin B.
01-10-2016, 08:41 PM
I experienced no adjustment issues either. Overall, I found them to be much more durable than I expected.

Trooper224
01-10-2016, 08:52 PM

Just leave this here...

Looks like he FUBAR'd the removal and doesn't want to admit it. Nothing to see here.

GJM
01-10-2016, 09:12 PM
From the Dawson website:

EZ to Install all Tools and Instructions Included

Maybe we should suggest a change to:

EZ to Install all Tools and Instructions Included, Professional removal recommended

ranger
01-10-2016, 09:15 PM
I have an early version of this sight on a Glock and had good service - I also had some minor rusting.

GJM
01-10-2016, 09:22 PM
A bit more info on our use. These are going on one or more range/competition Glock 34 pistols with Vanek triggers, reduced power recoil springs, etc. My wife has no plan on using them to survive a dynamic encounter in the food court, as she has a dozen or two minimally modified 17/19/26/43 pistols for that.

voodoo_man
01-10-2016, 10:22 PM
Looks like he FUBAR'd the removal and doesn't want to admit it. Nothing to see here.

Lol, hardly. I followed the removal instructions to the T using an armorers bench with all the right tools.

Junk sights are junk sights, when a company wont back their own product that screams stay away.

Sigfan26
01-10-2016, 10:28 PM
Lol, hardly. I followed the removal instructions to the T using an armorers bench with all the right tools.

Junk sights are junk sights, when a company wont back their own product that screams stay away.

It sounds like the reviews on here are a bit more positive than your experience suggests...

voodoo_man
01-10-2016, 10:32 PM
It sounds like the reviews on here are a bit more positive than your experience suggests...

Issue is, however, when you take all the positive reviews and then you experience that one negative you begin to consider things differently going forward.

This can and will happen to others, may be to you, may not, when it does they wont care.

Unlike other companies who provide replacements asap without hassle...

Sort of not worth the time to think about it...

Btw, people keep thinking the incog is a great holster, because haley endorses it, where in reality my review is one of the only non-glowing review youll read, why? Because I dont care what companies think, i tell it how it is.

Sigfan26
01-10-2016, 10:36 PM
Issue is, however, when you take all the positive reviews and then you experience that one negative you begin to consider things differently going forward.

This can and will happen to others, may be to you, may not, when it does they wont care.

Btw, people keep thinking the incog is a great holster, because haley endorses it, where in reality my review is one of the only non-glowing review youll read, why? Because I dont care what companies think, i tell it how it is.

Congrats dude... You don't always write glowing reviews. Doesn't change the fact that the overwhelming vibe from independent folks on here is positive. I don't use adjustable sights, btw.

GJM
01-10-2016, 10:43 PM
I am confused. Is the issue that the product is no good or their replacement part policy was not to your satisfaction?

Did you shoot their adjustable sight enough to form an opinion, or was the issue the sight came apart when you removed it? Were you using a MGW style tool, or a hammer and punch?

Sal Picante
01-10-2016, 10:48 PM
A bit more info on our use. These are going on one or more range/competition Glock 34 pistols with Vanek triggers, reduced power recoil springs, etc. My wife has no plan on using them to survive a dynamic encounter in the food court, as she has a dozen or two minimally modified 17/19/26/43 pistols for that.

Whew...

All kidding aside, my old buddy who made the jump to open, Kozy ran them for years on his competition G34's. He liked 'em. and they helped with re-zeroing after load development.

Two issues he found:
1.) They do rust - he found that using Hornady One-Shot dry lube or the TuffGlide oil stuff helped keep 'em from rusting sooner - though they would eventually rust.

2.) He had one or two sets where the pin would start to fall out of the sight - he peened that with a punch of some sort and problem was solved.

voodoo_man
01-10-2016, 10:52 PM
Congrats dude... You don't always write glowing reviews. Doesn't change the fact that the overwhelming vibe from independent folks on here is positive. I don't use adjustable sights, btw.

My point was that youll rarely see anything but good reviews because thats how a lot of these "reviewers" get stuff, its always good reviews from very minimal use. Btw, I am independent and always neutral, if i get something for free i say so and it doesnt affect my review.

I am confused. Is the issue that the product is no good or their replacement part policy was not to your satisfaction?

Did you shoot their adjustable sight enough to form an opinion, or was the issue the sight came apart when you removed it? Were you using a MGW style tool, or a hammer and punch?

The gen3 g19 i bought had them installed when i got it. The previous owner is a guy i trust and he put about 2k rounds through the gun with those sights. Then i put about a hundred. They worked fine. I decided to change them since i am not a fan of adjustable sights on pistols and following the right process for removal they turned into what i posted.

A screw breaking in half isn't something that should happen when a plastic mallet is hitting the other side with a brass punch, thats ridiculous. Thats akin to one of those "lifetime" warranties except when it breaks everything other than one specific thing is not covered.

This was a defect, they wouldnt cover it and i wont do business with a company that wont backup their products. I have no issue speaking out about this either, most people do.

Lomshek
01-10-2016, 10:58 PM

I've had a number of fastener heads do that (tear or break off the shaft) or over the years and my best guess is not enough meat at the important spot. Since it doesn't happen to tons I'd guess it's super thin/lightweight/low profile fasteners that ended up being on the low side of proper heat treatment or a thousandth (or 2) two thin breaking. It happens some in the bicycle industry with uber-light bolts.

I don't know if I'd call a used sight that had a tiny screw break "screaming stay away". It would have been nice of them to replace it for free but they don't advertise a "free parts no matter how old or how many owners" warranty like Dillon does that I could find.

voodoo_man
01-10-2016, 11:35 PM
I've had a number of fastener heads do that (tear or break off the shaft) or over the years and my best guess is not enough meat at the important spot. Since it doesn't happen to tons I'd guess it's super thin/lightweight/low profile fasteners that ended up being on the low side of proper heat treatment or a thousandth (or 2) two thin breaking. It happens some in the bicycle industry with uber-light bolts.

I don't know if I'd call a used sight that had a tiny screw break "screaming stay away". It would have been nice of them to replace it for free but they don't advertise a "free parts no matter how old or how many owners" warranty like Dillon does that I could find.

Their product is fine, it seems to work and did work. But then it broke and they want the end user to pay more money in hopes of what? It might not break again? Their warranty is the stay away part. If they think crappy warranties are going win them any more customers they should reevaluate their position.

nwhpfan
01-10-2016, 11:43 PM
Dawson makes good stuff. I would buy without reservations.

Chuck Haggard
01-11-2016, 06:55 AM
A guy I talk to who has been with Delta for over a decade uses the Dawsons on all of his guns, he reports no issues except a propensity to rust. This includes operational uses of the sights on his work guns.

JHC
01-11-2016, 08:17 AM

Most sight reviews occur after someone installs them and then sets to shooting them. So most are positive. How many reviews include the removal process? Almost none.

Sal Picante
01-11-2016, 08:30 AM
As an aside - I've been using Dawson front sight on all my guns for a long time...
I've noticed that my CZ and Beretta front sights do not rust. (CZ rear and Novak rears, respectively)

Additionally, my carry gun, a Kahr PM9, has had zero rust issues (Dawson front and rear)

I've treated the sight with the TuffGlide liquid stuff - I figured if it worked for my buddy, it should work for me.

I wonder if Dawson has a different company making those rear sights?

GJM
01-11-2016, 08:33 AM
I tend to cut Dawson slack, because but for them, there would not be sight options for a number of guns. Dawson offers black, tritium and fiber optic sights in more sizes and for more guns than anyone else I am aware of. In particular, their fiber optic sights are often the only game in town.

orionz06
01-11-2016, 08:39 AM

Just leave this here...

What was the text of your email? What was the response to them telling to they offer a spares kit?

Sent from my Nokia 3310 using an owl

JMS
01-11-2016, 09:29 AM
I get ditching a company due to a failure to support a product, even if I might see it as a one-off or outlier; the military's Parable of The Cocksucking Bridge-Builder is a thing.... Given that there's a lot of companies out there that put out good equipment, the difference in who we advocate often comes down to how we see ourselves treated by them when some issue crops up.

Some folks don't like Dawson due to their using a soft-ish metal in comparison to other makers (only fronts I've had mushroom when a gun is dropped; no drama, easily replaced), plus the corrosion gripes...which is something they don't front about, they tell you to treat the things with lube from time to time. No skin offa me, the customer is briefed, no foul, their call to use or not.

Fact remains that the particular item being discussed here is actually extremely robust and very functional, though I'm with GJM in that I kick Dawson some slack for their arguably lesser material choices on the basis of how I have guns that'd not be printing as I want them to if I couldn't get custom-height fronts, quickly and at very reasonable prices.

I'd much rather get a rear of my choice, do the math and precisely match a custom-height front to the rear -- not to bust the chops of anybody who's met with success buying "recipe" front/rear combos, but I've had that work precisely ONCE, and as far as I'm concerned, NONE of those things work as advertised, and I want all of my guns to print as close to The Exact Same as I can manage. For folks who alter ammo frequently and want to squeeze as much out of each loading as they can, adjustables make complete sense, and the Dawson's are pretty tough.

JHC
01-11-2016, 09:35 AM
I'd much rather get a rear of my choice, do the math and precisely match a custom-height front to the rear -- not to bust the chops of anybody who's met with success buying "recipe" front/rear combos, but I've had that work precisely ONCE, and as far as I'm concerned, NONE of those things work as advertised, and I want all of my guns to print as close to The Exact Same as I can manage. For folks who alter ammo frequently and want to squeeze as much out of each loading as they can, adjustables make complete sense, and the Dawson's are pretty tough.

True, I make a fair number of compromises gun to gun with it's POI fussing with fixed combos.

okie john
01-11-2016, 09:53 AM
A guy I talk to who has been with Delta for over a decade uses the Dawsons on all of his guns, he reports no issues except a propensity to rust. This includes operational uses of the sights on his work guns.

One of my Dawson sights came on a gun built by the guys at TigerSwan, most of whom served in that unit.

This.

Okie John

Mr_White
01-12-2016, 12:24 PM
Dawson makes good stuff. I would buy without reservations.

Me too.

How many free front sights have they sent you, making good on their 'perfect impact' guarantee or whatever it is called? I haven't had to call on them for that with my guns, but it is an awfully nice warranty of sorts.

I did smash one Dawson front and get it out of square. When I called Dawson, I was hoping with fingers crossed that they might give me free product and replace the front sight I smashed. They didn't and I had to buy a new one, but it is beyond me how I would rightfully hold that against them.

I like Dawsons. These adjustable rears are a little intriguing...

BN
01-12-2016, 01:04 PM
Dawson makes the very best fiber optic front sights of all I have seen. Period.

cheby
01-12-2016, 02:41 PM
I have been using their adjustable rears for over a year. I used to have a variety of front sights for various bullets while using the fixed rear. Swapping the fronts was not that big deal but the adjustable rear is way more convenient. They are solid and reliable. It is the only way to go when switching between different bullets IMO.

GJM
01-12-2016, 02:47 PM
Just ordered a set for my wife.

nwhpfan
01-12-2016, 03:09 PM
Me too.

How many free front sights have they sent you, making good on their 'perfect impact' guarantee or whatever it is called? I haven't had to call on them for that with my guns, but it is an awfully nice warranty of sorts.

I did smash one Dawson front and get it out of square. When I called Dawson, I was hoping with fingers crossed that they might give me free product and replace the front sight I smashed. They didn't and I had to buy a new one, but it is beyond me how I would rightfully hold that against them.

I like Dawsons. These adjustable rears are a little intriguing...

They have sent me two. The only questions were regarding POA/POI. They just took my word for it that I shot the group I claimed. But I ruined a sight once by loosening the screw without heating the Loctite. Lesson learned. I didn't even ask….

I think when they sell you something that gets pounded on; and by all kinds of people....let’s face it, not everyone is as astute as the average PF.com gunsmith (whom always uses a material softer than the sight to install them; always files the right amount, etc) they choose not to warranty something that could have taken place during the install/uninstall process.

I just bought a new front for one of my G’s this week. Hard to beat $25 OTD.