PDA

View Full Version : HK p2000

breakingtime91
01-10-2016, 02:37 PM
So, I picked up a hk p2000sk as my low pro/clip on holster gun. I really like it for this role and it fills that hole very well. I am now looking to make my hk p2000 a more home defense/ can get away with a bigger gun conceal carry. These are the things I am thinking:

-texture job by Bowie
-adding an apl to it
-getting a jm kydex aiwb for the p2000 and apl
-hk45c magazine release

This is mostly what I wanted to do before but now that I have a p2000sk, I can actually send it out for modification. Here are my questions/thoughts, has anyone got their hk stippled before? I really like the look of bowies work. I am adding an light because home defense/ I will be a dad soon and can see the usefulness of a wml when running the gun one handed. Extended mag release is just so I look cool when doing reloads during drills. I know ammo+tactics is better then any of this shit, but I have an itch and its getting annoying :cool:

*edited to clarify* Mods would be done to my p2000, p2000sk is staying stock.

JodyH
01-10-2016, 02:46 PM
I personally would not use the 45C mag release, they cause about as many problems as they fix from what I've seen.
I use a TLR-3 on my SK along with a P2000 13 round magazine with a X-Grip sleeve on it as my travelling nightstand configuration.

TGS
01-10-2016, 02:54 PM
What problems with the 45c mag release?

I personally did not have any problems, but I dropped off HKPRO as a regular so there's probably some aggregate experience I'm missing.

Dagga Boy
01-10-2016, 03:00 PM
I also like the 45C releases. I am also not real aware of issues, but the P2000 is a gun JodyH is the local SME on.

JodyH
01-10-2016, 03:09 PM
It may or may not be a drop in modification.
Tolerance stacking (aka: plastic flash, mold lines) either on the trigger guard, release levers or both will cause the release to not engage the magazine fully.
If you take your time and "fit" the 45C release to the SK with an emery board it'll work fine.
Also be very careful with holster selection after installing the 45C release, many kydex holsters molded for the standard levers will trip the 45C lever.

LSP972
01-10-2016, 03:14 PM
I personally would not use the 45C mag release, they cause about as many problems as they fix from what I've seen.

What??? Such as, what problems???

Excuse my abruptness, but I have them on two P2000 and three USP Compact pistols, and they are exemplary.

I also have personal knowledge of no issues on several other so-equipped P2000 pistols owned and shot by acquaintances.

I'm thinking of holster issues; i.e. a holster being made tightly for the issue release, and the longer release snagging on it? That's holster 101, and of course one should look for it. But the holsters I use (and have not had to modify) are fine…

RMHolsters Lo-Rider IWB kydex
Mitch Rosen 5JR Presidential OWB leather
Two Alessi "snap-on" OWB leather holsters, one made for the P2000 and one for the USPc; no clue what the actual name of the holster is, but both are OLD

So, pardon me for being a bit surprised at your statement.

LSP972
01-10-2016, 03:16 PM
It may or may not be a drop in modification.
Tolerance stacking (aka: plastic flash, mold lines) either on the trigger guard, release levers or both will cause the release to not engage the magazine fully.
If you take your time and "fit" the 45C release to the SK with an emery board it'll work fine.

So, this is just something you've seen with the SK? I've never fooled with one of those, but the near-dozen USP Compacts/P2000s I've done have indeed been a drop-in fit.

breakingtime91
01-10-2016, 03:21 PM
So, this is just something you've seen with the SK? I've never fooled with one of those, but the near-dozen USP Compacts/P2000s I've done have indeed been a drop-in fit.

Good to know. I won't be putting one on the p2000sk anyhow.

LSP972
01-10-2016, 03:25 PM
Good to know.

Wait… he hasn't answered yet. And just because others of us have not seen any issues on numerous pistols, there are some folks here who I pay attention to and take what they say at face value. He's one.

JodyH
01-10-2016, 03:41 PM
Wait… he hasn't answered yet. And just because others of us have not seen any issues on numerous pistols, there are some folks here who I pay attention to and take what they say at face value. He's one.

Seen it on P2000's as well.
Main issue being over molding on the release needing to be trimmed or sanded away and the kydex holster issue (I haven't seen it be a problem with any leather holsters).
I might be a little too cautious after seeing the problem crop up a couple of times that I don't think the juice is worth the squeeze (but many others disagree and have had good experiences with them).
Then again, I'm a Luddite when it comes to my carry pistols and rarely modify them beyond sights.

CCT125US
01-10-2016, 03:43 PM
I have 45c releases installed in a P2K and a P2KSK. No issues with install, but the holster issue is there. Shaggy pops the mags every time. Simple fix for sure, but the issue is there. It also looks like less downward movement is needed to drop the mags. No issues during live fire over 1000 rds in the P2000. No live fire on the SK yet.

TGS
01-10-2016, 03:55 PM
I put about 20,000 rounds through my P2000 with the 45c mag catch without issues....never a problem with any of the holsters either, including the CCC Looper and Shaggy.

YVK
01-10-2016, 09:13 PM
I too have had zero problems with 45c mag release on 2000sk in Shaggy, Keeper, and with Zach trigger guard holster.

GJM
01-10-2016, 09:17 PM
I studied this last summer, and the HK Pro consensus was the extended mag release was a no go on the USP, but GTG on the USP C and P2000. I have the extended levers on a .40 and .45 USP C, two P2000 9 and two P2000 .40 pistols with no problems noted so far. JM George, Blade Tech OWB and Safariland 7TS series holsters.

eyemahm
01-10-2016, 11:16 PM
I studied this last summer, and the HK Pro consensus was the extended mag release was a no go on the USP, but GTG on the USP C and P2000.

No go on the USP9/40 (polymer mags). Should be ok on the USP45 (metal mags). Metal release eats the polymer ledge on the mags over time.

I could see the tolerance stacking issues Jody mentioned being a problem, though I have had no issues in 5k+ on an SK with extended mag release, in a shaggy, jmck, dsg alpha, high noon hideaway, cooks kydex, milt sparks vm2, and what I think is a g code incog.

GJM
01-10-2016, 11:20 PM
No go on the USP9/40 (polymer mags). Should be ok on the USP45 (metal mags). Metal release eats the polymer ledge on the mags over time.

I have had no issues in 5k+ on an SK with extended mag release, in a shaggy, jmck, dsg alpha, high noon hideaway, cooks kydex, and what I think is a g code incog.

No so with .45 Super ammo, as it apparently drops magazines in recoil.

Sero Sed Serio
01-11-2016, 12:57 AM
I've dropped mags with an HK45 mag release in a USPc 9. Then again, I've also dropped mags in a stock P30, so it might just be me. No problems with stock, though. I briefly tried the HK45 mag release in a P2000, but didn't even make it to live fire--my previous experiences and the fact that the catch tab sits at a shallower angle than the stock one was enough. Plenty of others whose opinions I trust have had good experiences, but for me it's a no-go.

Notso
01-11-2016, 08:37 AM
I have the Hk45C mag release on mine and have not had any issues yet but 1. I haven't had them that long to fully qualify the statement and 2. I'm watching them closely because I can see what Jody is saying about the stacking and fit. If you look close how it fits in the HK45C versus the P2000 it's definitely not MADE for the P2000 and there's not the same full range of motion. I have been primarily using a crossbreed supertuck with no issues. I would go back to the original mag release but I seriously could not get that to work for me and my hands no matter how much I tried. Honestly, I would feel better with the smaller mag release for fear of accidental mag release during carry but it just doesn't seem to work for me. Suggestions welcome...

Another possible upgrade to think about is the slim slide release. Pricey but works for me and my hands. I will say, I kinda like the "shelf" of the original but I have less issues with the slim.

I have been very impressed with the P2000- it's an unsung handgun in light of all the newer HK models. It carries well, is comfortable, doesn't have the grip length or texture issues of the P30... For me. Ymmv. Others, clearly have been saying this long before I got here. I've always been a little slow on the uptake. [emoji3]

bofe954
01-11-2016, 09:43 AM
To avoid starting another thread...Do any of the aftermarket P2000 night sights raise POI at all?

GJM
01-11-2016, 09:53 AM
To avoid starting another thread...Do any of the aftermarket P2000 night sights raise POI at all?

Not in my experience. The Trijicon classics and HD offerings, for example, have the same relationship between front and rear. A sure way to raise impact to tip of the blade probably isn't acceptable -- get a P2000 .40.

psalms144.1
01-11-2016, 12:24 PM
WRT the 45c paddle on the P2K, mine dropped in with no issues, and has been completely reliable in use - EXCEPT - I have one kydex holster (Contact Concealment) that is very tightly molded, enough so that the extra length of the 45c magazine release gets activated occasionally on holstering. Not really an issue, I played with the holster then added it to the "holster box," and have had no other issues with any other holster.

YMMV, of course

eyemahm
01-12-2016, 03:14 PM
No so with .45 Super ammo, as it apparently drops magazines in recoil.

Interesting result! Hadn't heard of that issue before. How frequently did the problem occur (%)?

the fact that the catch tab sits at a shallower angle than the stock one was enough.

I didn't closely inspect them side by side looking at the catch tab angle, but it makes sense, since the amount of mag release travel required to let the mag drop free seemed to be less with the extended release.

GJM
01-12-2016, 03:47 PM
Interesting result! Hadn't heard of that issue before. How frequently did the problem occur (%)? .

reported on HK Pro