PDA

View Full Version : Glock 23?

Nephrology
01-10-2016, 10:39 AM
So, I carry 9mm Glocks, but recently made a leap into .40 when I picked up a Gen 4 G35 for competition use. I also keep seeing used (often po-surp) Gen 3 glock 23s out there to be had for a song. I've shot one before but can't say I have substantial experience with them, but I don't recall the dreaded .40 recoil being that awful.

So, question: would a Gen 3 G23 be a decent backup/complement to my G19? or should I just hold out to buy another 9mm? I keep seeing them like new with night sights for $350-375 and can't help but wonder if I should just snatch one up...

El Cid
01-10-2016, 11:16 AM
I don't see any reason to buy any gun in 40 unless I have access to an endless supply of free 40 ammo.

Sero Sed Serio
01-10-2016, 11:24 AM
Unless you have one of the specific, narrow needs for .40 (intermediate barriers, maybe woods gun), I would put the money towards another 19. If you do have a strong need for .40, then I would use a USPc or SIG 229 to launch it. If you have a strong need for .40 and really want to stick with the Glock, I would get a Gen. 4, as it is better designed to handle the caliber.

Nephrology
01-10-2016, 11:39 AM
Unless you have one of the specific, narrow needs for .40 (intermediate barriers, maybe woods gun), I would put the money towards another 19. If you do have a strong need for .40, then I would use a USPc or SIG 229 to launch it. If you have a strong need for .40 and really want to stick with the Glock, I would get a Gen. 4, as it is better designed to handle the caliber.

Definitely would be sticking with Glock - have far too much support gear/trigger time to want to invest in another platform at this point in time.

DiscipulusArmorum
01-10-2016, 11:50 AM
Isn't the 23 kind of the red-headed stepchild of the Glock .40 family? Seems like I recall hearing from one or more of our LE members that the 23 has presented more problems as a duty weapon compared to the 22. No attribution on that, but I did recall DocGKR has been down on them in the past. With the aid of Google I found his post from 2012 that I was thinking of:

Link to M4C topic (http://www.m4carbine.net/archive/index.php/t-111255.html)

In a timely coincidence, a very experienced senior SOF NCO who has slayed many of our Nation's foes and who has the distinction of having used 9mm, .40, and .45 ACP pistols in combat during various phases of his career wrote the following superb analysis discussing this very topic today:

"Not getting into the weapons transition issues from frame design to frame design (it's the reason I love to hate the Glock), the fact of the matter is that the recoil on the 23 crosses the magic line of running the shit out of your pistol.

Allow me to explain...

Most of the guys on the G19 thread mentioned that they can handle the reduced size of the 19 and the recoil increase over the 17 is acceptable. Most of us have also determined that this does NOT cross over to the .40 cartridge. Guys with a firm handle on recoil manipulation can use the 22 and 35 with acceptable results. However when you go down to 26's and 23's, the juice is not worth the squeeze. The recoil is now noticably effecting times and it's measurable. If you can't effectively control recoil and are wasting time allowing your pistol to settle between shots then this is all a wash and means nothing to you, but if you can apply the fundamentals effectively you will quickly see that you can't run a sub compact 9 or a compact .40 worth a shit. So a decision to accept a larger pistol in order to have an acceptable recoil impulse based upon caliber must be made. The smallest 9mm Glock recoil that I will accept is the G19 and I will not go below the G22 when bumping up to .40."

jh9
01-10-2016, 11:51 AM

If OP got the 35 for USPSA Limited and he reloads it makes sense. I would dump 9mm for .40 across the board.

.40 minor isn't bad in terms of recoil, the caliber can be loaded up or down as needed, and gives you a lot of flexibilty for Limited major and Production/SSP minor. In that case I would consider moving to .40 en masse just to simplify things. Not that having 2 calibers is burdensome, but only loading one cal for practice/competition, only having to stock one type of components, buying ammo for defense, having one set of magazines, etc. is convenient.

I don't, however, do more than play in Limited so to hell with that beastly little thing. ;)

Nephrology
01-10-2016, 11:54 AM
If OP got the 35 for USPSA Limited and he reloads it makes sense. I would dump 9mm for .40 across the board.

.40 minor isn't bad in terms of recoil, the caliber can be loaded up or down as needed, and gives you a lot of flexibilty for Limited major and Production/SSP minor. In that case I would consider moving to .40 en masse just to simplify things. Not that having 2 calibers is burdensome, but only loading one cal for practice/competition, only having to stock one type of components, buying ammo for defense, having one set of magazines, etc. is convenient.

I don't, however, do more than play in Limited so to hell with that beastly little thing. ;)

Unfortunately I do not reload (hence why the 35 is my only .40). I will say that one reason I went with the 35 (beyond being able to cheaply make major with factory ammo) is that I reckoned that when election season rolls around next Fall, I will still be able to find .40 on the shelf. I don't plan on making this g23 a terribly high round count pistol (if I get one at all), but the appeal of .40 availability is there.

Leroy
01-10-2016, 11:56 AM
I would rent one and try it out SHO and WHO, that is where the .40 Glocks get interesting. Do it with hotter 165 grain ammo as well.

Nephrology
01-10-2016, 11:58 AM
I would rent one and try it out SHO and WHO, that is where the .40 Glocks get interesting. Do it with hotter 165 grain ammo as well.

I'd definitely carry 180gr loads were I to get the pistol. No interest in hotter .40 JHPs, my life is already interesting enough as it is... :P

jh9
01-10-2016, 12:18 PM
Unfortunately I do not reload (hence why the 35 is my only .40). I will say that one reason I went with the 35 (beyond being able to cheaply make major with factory ammo) is that I reckoned that when election season rolls around next Fall, I will still be able to find .40 on the shelf. I don't plan on making this g23 a terribly high round count pistol (if I get one at all), but the appeal of .40 availability is there.

I have a friend that uses the same logic. I don't think I get it, though. Rather than spend $300 on a pistol you *might* be able to get ammo for why not just buy a case of 9mm and put it in a box under a "in case of ammo drought break seal" sticker?

Leroy
01-10-2016, 12:18 PM
Yeah, I wouldn't carry 165. The OP reminded me when I was out shooting a G22 I had recently traded for (I shoot 99% 9 mm) and I had some 165 grain laying around. Shot it, and thought not so bad. Then I ran some drills WHO and I could really feel that gun smacking me in the palm. I would imagine the 23 could be a handful one handed.

LSP552
01-10-2016, 12:35 PM
I'm not a fan of the 23 or 27. I'd buy another 19 unless you have access to free .40 ammo. Me personally, I'd start buying 9mm by the case instead of buying a 23 for ammo supply issues.

Jeep
01-10-2016, 01:15 PM
I'm someone else who is no fan of the 23. I put quite a bit of ammo through one and I disliked it even more at the end than I did at the beginning I'm not really a fan of the 22 either--I find the M&P40 far more manageable, but the 22 is much better than the 23.

My conclusion is that Glocks work best for me in 9mm. The 17 & 19 are extraordinary pistols; the 22 is a bit of a disappointment and if I want to buy an additional compact Glock it will be a 19 and never a 23.

GJM
01-10-2016, 01:21 PM

At a match last weekend, the classifier involved strings with left and right hand only. A number of smaller stature male and all the female shooters with .40 guns struggled on the one hand strings.

HCM
01-10-2016, 01:34 PM
For the purpose you describe, does the PD trade in Glock 23 still make financial sense if you ad $100 for a lone wolf 40-9 conversion barrel ? That way you could run it as a back up Glock 19 and convert to 40 if things got desperate. If not then I would pass on the Glock 23 for the reasons stated above.

Btw my 23 has been 100% reliable with the LW conversion barrel and 9mm mags.

If you already have a G17 and G17 mags you might think about a 40-9 conversion barrel for your G35 plus a case of 9mm as a reserve.

leif
01-10-2016, 01:35 PM
I bought a 23 when I was at my old department where we were issued 40 (and the ammo flowed like water), but I don't think I've put more than 2-300 rounds through it, its a handful. At my new department we can carry 9 and I haven't taken my 23 out of the safe since. I'm debating buying a LW conversion barrel and keeping it as a backup/range gun (since for whatever reason it has the best stock glock trigger I've ever seen), but I can't see any reason to buy a 23.

Now a 24..that's a fun 40 gun..

HCM
01-10-2016, 01:39 PM
I bought a 23 when I was at my old department where we were issued 40 (and the ammo flowed like water), but I don't think I've put more than 2-300 rounds through it, its a handful. At my new department we can carry 9 and I haven't taken my 23 out of the safe since. I'm debating buying a LW conversion barrel and keeping it as a backup/range gun (since for whatever reason it has the best stock glock trigger I've ever seen), but I can't see any reason to buy a 23.

Now a 24..that's a fun 40 gun..

Re the LW barrel - do it, you'll want G19 mags though. MagPul is making G19 mags now at $15 each. I believe Chuck Haggard has also had good results with his G23 / LW conversion barrel combo.

leif
01-10-2016, 01:41 PM
Re the LW barrel - do it, you'll want G19 mags though. MagPul is making G19 mags now at $15 each. I believe Chuck Haggard has also had good results with his G23 / LW conversion barrel combo.

Yeah that's the plan (i have a 19 as well anyway, but two is one etc etc).

Do you know if the recoil spring has to be changed?

Casual Friday
01-10-2016, 01:42 PM
I had a gen 2 G23 for a few years and it was a handful with any load, but the ones I remember the most were the 155 grain loads. They were wicked. I would wager a shiny PF wooden nickel that next to snub revolvers, the G23 and G27 have led to more recoil induced flinches than any other pistol caliber combos.

Nephrology
01-10-2016, 01:48 PM
For the purpose you describe, does the PD trade in Glock 23 still make financial sense if you ad $100 for a lone wolf 40-9 conversion barrel ? That way you could run it as a back up Glock 19 and convert to 40 if things got desperate. If not then I would pass on the Glock 23 for the reasons stated above.

Btw my 23 has been 100% reliable with the LW conversion barrel and 9mm mags.

If you already have a G17 and G17 mags you might think about a 40-9 conversion barrel for your G35 plus a case of 9mm as a reserve.

I have a ton of G17 mags and already ave a KKM 40-9 barrel for the 35. That combo is outstanding.

Thanks for the input all - based on this I will skip the G23. May as well just save up for a Gen 4 G19.

HCM
01-10-2016, 02:00 PM
Yeah that's the plan (i have a 19 as well anyway, but two is one etc etc).

Do you know if the recoil spring has to be changed?

No, I haven't changed mine. I believe they are he same part number on the gen 3's which is part of the problem with the g23 as a40.

leif
01-10-2016, 02:09 PM
No, I haven't changed mine. I believe they are he same part number on the gen 3's which is part of the problem with the g23 as a40.

Thanks. Mine's a gen4 but I guess ill just have to experiment.

Nephrology
01-10-2016, 02:13 PM
Thanks. Mine's a gen4 but I guess ill just have to experiment.

My Gen4 G35 has run a bunch of 115gr 9mm (including Wolf) with the original recoil spring just fine.

leif
01-10-2016, 02:19 PM
My Gen4 G35 has run a bunch of 115gr 9mm (including Wolf) with the original recoil spring just fine.

Good to know, thanks a lot.

ST911
01-10-2016, 03:54 PM
I don't see any reason to buy any gun in 40 unless I have access to an endless supply of free 40 ammo.

Unless you have one of the specific, narrow needs for .40 (intermediate barriers, maybe woods gun), I would put the money towards another 19.

What they said. G23 was my primary for a lot of years, went 9mm in ~2012, and haven't looked back.

LockedBreech
01-10-2016, 04:21 PM
I don't know if I have weird hands, a weird brain, or what, but I sold my 642 J-Frame .38 because I found the recoil very unpleasant, but I LOVE my G23. It's an old police 10-year-old trade in that I got really cheap and replaced all the guts in (the works - new pins, springs, even new locking block).

I primarily shoot and carry 9mm (Beretta 92 for home defense, Walther PPS for carry) but the G23 in a Bianchi is the go to road trip, camping trip, miscellaneous pack-it-along gun. It shoots with perfect reliability and decent control.

Maybe I'm just a hipster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sammy1
01-10-2016, 06:17 PM
I didn't find a big difference between my G22 and G23, both Gen 4. No issues shooting the G23. I did find myself getting worn down shooting the G22 during high round count classes. In the future I'll stick to 9mm.

fixer
01-11-2016, 07:09 AM
I trained with a G23 for about a year recently and also performed a few matches with it. Not to dog pile the pistol, but it was exceptionally difficult to manage during a stage. I think I even missed a whole target. I am pretty sure I even limpwristed this thing once in anticipation of recoil--result was a fail to feed.

The deal breaker for me was an increasingly severe wrist pain after more than 150 rds...and it lasted overnight and for a few days after wards.

The saving grace for this gun was 1) its a good ammo drought gun and 2) its accuracy was fantastic.

deputyG23
01-11-2016, 07:43 PM

My work issues G23s to all sworn staff so I have access to reasonable quantities of Winchester 180 grain practice ammo and a more limited quantity of Ranger 180 T loads. I, therefore, have accumulated a G3 G22, a G2.5 G27 and a G2 G23 I bought years ago when G22s were issued. My retirement is looming on the horizon so I will retire most likely with a G4 G23.
If .40 gun selling prices stay in the cellar, I may buy 9mm conversion barrels for my .40s for practice and use my old Glock nines for carry.
If my work had stayed with the nine, I probably would have never bought anything .40 in the Glock platform.

leif
01-31-2016, 06:29 PM

Little bit of an update. I ran my LW conversion barrel today. Ran ok, not 100%. Had one vertical stove pipe and one horizontal stove pipe. Ejection was HORRIBLE however. The brass went all over the place, with the majority going directly in front of me. My range ammo is 124gr Freedom. I ran one mag of the stuff through my carry 19 (which admittedly has the apex ejector) and it was all in one neat pile at 3:00. This is strictly a range gun so I don't really care but what gives? Would the Apex parts solve it? I seem to remember it ran fine as a .40, but only shot full power duty ammo through it.

El Cid
01-31-2016, 07:19 PM
Little bit of an update. I ran my LW conversion barrel today. Ran ok, not 100%. Had one vertical stove pipe and one horizontal stove pipe. Ejection was HORRIBLE however. The brass went all over the place, with the majority going directly in front of me. My range ammo is 124gr Freedom. I ran one mag of the stuff through my carry 19 (which admittedly has the apex ejector) and it was all in one neat pile at 3:00. This is strictly a range gun so I don't really care but what gives? Would the Apex parts solve it? I seem to remember it ran fine as a .40, but only shot full power duty ammo through it.

If you're using the 40 slide the breech face is larger and the extractor may not get the same bite as a 9mm slide would.

HCM
01-31-2016, 08:21 PM

How does it run as a 40 ? I would also try some full power factory 9mm vs commercial reloads before i became concerned. Either duty ammo or something with good QC like American Eagle or Lawman.

WDW
01-31-2016, 10:00 PM
I had (2) G4 23's a while back & they were both fantastic. Had around 1k through each. I've since traded them off, but I wouldn't hesitate to get another.

leif
02-01-2016, 12:03 AM
How does it run as a 40 ? I would also try some full power factory 9mm vs commercial reloads before i became concerned. Either duty ammo or something with good QC like American Eagle or Lawman.

Ran fine as a 40. But also only ever used full power duty ammo, winchester ranger-t 180 gr I believe.

I had a conversion barrel on my m&p 40 and understand the breach face differences, but that gun still ejected brass reliably so I was surprised to see it launched forward today.

Will try some AE (which is our issued training ammo) and duty ammo next go around.

HCM
02-01-2016, 01:57 AM
Ran fine as a 40. But also only ever used full power duty ammo, winchester ranger-t 180 gr I believe.

I had a conversion barrel on my m&p 40 and understand the breach face differences, but that gun still ejected brass reliably so I was surprised to see it launched forward today.

Will try some AE (which is our issued training ammo) and duty ammo next go around.

Is this the same gun you mentioned in the other thread with Trigger issues? That could be part of it as well.

If it continues to malfunction with good ammo and otherwise in spec parts you may want to contact lonewolf. JHC and KevinB have reported improved extraction/ Ejection in some guns with KKM replacement barrels so theoretically, the reverse could be true as well, a barrel a bit out of spec could cause those issues.

jh9
02-01-2016, 06:33 AM
Since you've got both a 19 and 23 (and assuming they're both either gen 3 or gen 4) try your 9mm ejector and/or 9mm Apex extractor and see if that helps. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes it does when the gun gets some miles on it. A few of the locals have not just gone down the 9/40 parts swapping road, they've paved it and put up signs. More trouble than it's worth to me, but it seems to satisfy them.

Anyway, that's a $0 experiment and if the ejector works you're out like $8. If it's the extractor that's a bit more spendy, but since you're already into it for a barrel why not a $60 apex extractor?

leif
02-01-2016, 11:10 PM
Is this the same gun you mentioned in the other thread with Trigger issues? That could be part of it as well.

If it continues to malfunction with good ammo and otherwise in spec parts you may want to contact lonewolf. JHC and KevinB have reported improved extraction/ Ejection in some guns with KKM replacement barrels so theoretically, the reverse could be true as well, a barrel a bit out of spec could cause those issues.

Yeah same one. I'm replacing everything I polished (firing pin safety..sigh), which maybe affected the ejector? Who knows, I have a lot of part swapping and testing ahead of me.

Mack
02-03-2016, 11:41 AM
I have a 23 I converted to 9 with the LW barrel, it's a gen 3 but it ejects fine. I installed a 9mm ejector (trigger housing w/ ejector), 9mm extractor, and spring loaded bearing lci 9. I used all OEM parts and they were only a little over $20 for all of them. If you cannot order parts from Glock directly you can get all the parts on brownells (they ship faster than Glock so I'd go with them anyways). Ejection with crappy reloads is weak but it doesn't malfunction, but with any halfway decent factory ammo ejection is fine. May or may not fix your problem but it's a fairly minor expense to get the 9mm specific parts.

leif
02-04-2016, 11:54 AM
I have a 23 I converted to 9 with the LW barrel, it's a gen 3 but it ejects fine. I installed a 9mm ejector (trigger housing w/ ejector), 9mm extractor, and spring loaded bearing lci 9. I used all OEM parts and they were only a little over $20 for all of them. If you cannot order parts from Glock directly you can get all the parts on brownells (they ship faster than Glock so I'd go with them anyways). Ejection with crappy reloads is weak but it doesn't malfunction, but with any halfway decent factory ammo ejection is fine. May or may not fix your problem but it's a fairly minor expense to get the 9mm specific parts.

Thanks for the info. Have you ever tried putting the 40 barrel back in and shooting it with the 9mm parts in there?

Mack
02-04-2016, 02:43 PM
I don't shoot 40 anymore but I would advise against even trying to see if that would work. I would only install the 9mm parts if you are planning on converting it permanently to 9mm. If you are looking to switch back and forth between 9 and 40 I would just deal with the erratic ejection as switching the ejector, extractor, and spring loaded bearing each time you wanted to switch caliber would be annoying.

Ryan77
02-05-2016, 09:48 PM
I actually have several Glock 23 and 19's.

I like both and the 23 isn't that bad, I actually quite like it :cool:

If you want to feel recoil it's not a 23. There are plenty of calibers that recoil much more.

Not to say I don't like the 19, just that the 23 is extremely mananagable for advanced shooters.

HCM
02-06-2016, 12:17 AM
It not like a 23 or 27 is going to tear your arm off or anything. However, when shooting at speed, there will be a bigger performance gap between a 23 or 27 and a 22 or 35 than between a 26/19 and a 17/34.

The Gen 2/3 G23's have also been less durable than the 9mm's in agency use.

Nephrology
02-06-2016, 12:19 PM
Well, despite the suggestions of this thread, I just won a Gen 4 G23 on Gunbroker. $387 after shipping + transfer. Includes factory NS (Which are presumably fresh). I'll put ~500 rounds of .40 through it and use it as a carry/backup carry to my G19. How'd I do?

LockedBreech
02-06-2016, 12:30 PM
Well, despite the suggestions of this thread, I just won a Gen 4 G23 on Gunbroker. $387 after shipping + transfer. Includes factory NS (Which are presumably fresh). I'll put ~500 rounds of .40 through it and use it as a carry/backup carry to my G19. How'd I do?

That's an absolute steal. Barely more than I paid for a used Gen 3 G23 with dead sights

Nephrology
02-15-2016, 07:27 AM
Just bumping this thread for a quick survey- would there be any issues with using this Gen 4 G23 as a carry pistol and using my Gen 3 G19/ Gen4 G35 as back/up training guns, respectively? Have a KKM conversion barrel for the 35 so it is eminently affordable to shoot.

Basically I'm wondering if there will be any "software" reason that I can't put a case of .40 through this thing + some JHPs, give it a cleaning, and then carry it often/shoot it little while I lean on my other glocks for training purposes.

Josh Runkle
02-15-2016, 08:09 AM
It's not that I've ever noticed a GLOCK 23 being bad, it's just that I always notice GLOCK 19s as always being good/better. YMMV.

jh9
02-15-2016, 08:37 AM
Basically I'm wondering if there will be any "software" reason that I can't put a case of .40 through this thing + some JHPs, give it a cleaning, and then carry it often/shoot it little while I lean on my other glocks for training purposes.

No, so long as you either practice with warm/hot 9mms or use reduced recoil .40 for carry. You're probably overthinking this.

Doesn't the FBI use a reduced .40 loading? Anybody have details on that?

Nephrology
02-15-2016, 09:31 AM
No, so long as you either practice with warm/hot 9mms or use reduced recoil .40 for carry. You're probably overthinking this.

Doesn't the FBI use a reduced .40 loading? Anybody have details on that?

IIRC they are shooting 165gr Winchester Ranger Bonded going ~950fps. Currently I have 2 boxes of Federal 180gr HST - if this gun can complete at least 750 rounds of FMJ (with and without the light) without trouble, I'll shoot a box through it and re-stock on HST and call it good to go.

MSparks909
02-15-2016, 10:15 AM
IIRC they are shooting 165gr Winchester Ranger Bonded going ~950fps. Currently I have 2 boxes of Federal 180gr HST - if this gun can complete at least 750 rounds of FMJ (with and without the light) without trouble, I'll shoot a box through it and re-stock on HST and call it good to go.

Good friend of mine's duty weapon is a Gen 4 G23. Small department with several female officers hence why the department chose the 23 over the 22. He's had no issues with his. I've shot it several times and can tell a difference between the Gen 3/Gen 4 recoil spring systems. The Gen 4 RSA tones down the recoil impulse a little bit.

El Cid
02-15-2016, 10:26 AM

They've gone back and forth over the years. From 165 Gold Dots to 180 Rangers and then to 180 Gold Dots. Though I seem to recall NY going back to the 165 GD's at some point.

ST911
02-15-2016, 10:35 AM
If there's a gen3 G19 in the cabinet, I'm not sure why you're bothering with the G23 at all. That being said, if you can drive a G23 well there's a lot of good carryover to others. However, the reverse is not as true.

Nephrology
02-15-2016, 10:44 AM
If there's a gen3 G19 in the cabinet, I'm not sure why you're bothering with the G23 at all. That being said, if you can drive a G23 well there's a lot of good carryover to others. However, the reverse is not as true.

G23 was extremely cheap for a 4th Gen ($387 after shipping/transfer) and I definitely run the 4th gen frames better. My 4th Gen G35 is far more accurate and does not display any of the left shift in my groups that I get with my 3rd Gen 17/19. Sure, I could have bought a 4th Gen G19, and probably will eventually, but at $387 with NS I couldn't really pass it up... I can always flip it for what I paid for it if I really hate it. I was also pleasantly surprised at how easy it was to shoot .40 through my G35, but obviously my experience will be a little different with the 23.

L-2
02-15-2016, 11:15 AM
I see no problems with switching between a G19gen3 and a G23Gen4. Shoot both enough to be proficient with both, or all three when you add-in the G35gen4.

Any gun could have it's own issues and these will come out with more shooting if there are any issues at all. For me, my G23gen3 is sensitive to mounted weapon lights if the recoil spring isn't nearer to being new. Also, my G23gen3's left rear rail broke off, necessitating a replacement frame from Glock.

My G19gen3 seems to work fine as is.

Both guns have smooth triggers and Ameriglo sights installed, my personal preference.

I've sold off my G35gen3 as I didn't use it much, but it was one, if not the most accurate handgun I owned.

I find most of my Glocks are similar in feel and don't have a problem switching between different Glock models.
I think it's all related to the repetitive time, practice, round counts, and/or dry-firing you put into each gun.

Kyle Reese
02-18-2016, 06:37 PM
I'm issued a Glock 23 Gen 4, and while I don't find it particularly hateful to shoot, I'd much rather have a Glock 17 / 19 Gen 4. I'm interested to see how a steady diet of Speer Lawman RHT will affect accuracy.

Nephrology
02-19-2016, 06:31 AM
I'm issued a Glock 23 Gen 4, and while I don't find it particularly hateful to shoot, I'd much rather have a Glock 17 / 19 Gen 4. I'm interested to see how a steady diet of Speer Lawman RHT will affect accuracy.

Experienced any reliability issues with/without weaponlights?

Kyle Reese
02-19-2016, 06:32 AM
Experienced any reliability issues with/without weaponlights?
No issues sans WML, and will let you know when I qual with the SF X300.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Nephrology
02-19-2016, 06:38 PM
Just put 550 rounds through my 23. (50 PMC Blazer, 500 WWB), more or less all of them with a TLR-1 attached

I was initially pretty frustrated when I had 3 FTFs in the first 150 rounds, but I realized that the 13rd mags I was using all were marked "2" next to the glock logo on the rear under the witness holes. I know that 15rd mags with the "2" also caused similar problems in my G35, so I switched to the 15rd mags marked "1633-33" that Glock had sent me when I had sent me as replacements. 0 issues in the 400 rounds using these mags, with or without the light attached.

I'll send the 13rd mags back to Glock - does anyone know if they make "1633-33" marked 13rders, too? If so I am hopeful they will run with the light on em.

Otherwise I was pretty happy - recoil was stout but not unmanageable. Definitely less than .45 out of my 5" 1911. I shot pretty well but was definitely hampered by the recoil and a pretty significant lack of recent practice. The 3-dot night sights didn't help - a black sharpie took care of the rear but I'll replace the front sight post with an Ameriglo Hackathorn FSP once I am confident it will run. If I can get another 500 trouble free rounds through it with whatever mags Glock sends me as replacements I'll probably start carrying this gun.

edit: Except for one piece of brass that brained me right in the head, ejection was nice and positive, consistently to my 4 o'clock about 10-12 feet away.

Nephrology
02-20-2016, 10:13 PM
Update - 212 more rounds through the gun (200 WWB, 12 165gr Winchester PDX-1). Shot this doing some simple drills without a weaponlight to see how it handled vs 9mms. I found that my splits were about 0.05-0.1 seconds faster with the 9mm (g19). Worrisomely, had 1 FTF without the weaponlight. It was with the used 13rd "2" marked magazine that came with the gun. Going to sideline the pistol til my mags get back from Glock. If I continue to have issues after I get the latest 13 rd mags I will probably let it go, but still cautiously optimistic. I've had about this many failures with my G19 (though over many more cumulative rounds, of course) so I will see if I can arrive at solution. All rounds through the "1633" marked magazines have been 100%. the half box of PDX I finished off ran 100%, too.

edit: Recoil really isn't too bad. It's certainly something I have to work against, but it isn't unpleasant to shoot like my J frame. 750 rounds in the last 48 hours and I am not feeling any worse for the wear.

Nephrology
03-11-2016, 07:46 PM
Update: Received my mags back from Glock - it looks as if they kept the mag bodies but swapped out new springs. Took them to the range and put 500 rounds of 165gr WWB FMJ through the gun with my TLR-1 mounted. 0 stoppages or malfunctions. Ejection was brisk and a consistent 90 degrees; occasionally a high piece of brass but no BTF. Definitely had to work hard to keep the gun on target, but it shot well. I will run a box of 180gr HST through it and if it can get through that I will carry it. Total round count to date: 1276

Chef
03-11-2016, 11:39 PM

There is a 9mm specific extractor that many recommend to switch when using a conversion barrel on a 40 Glock. This specifically helps with extraction issues. Some also recommend using a 9mm ejector although I haven't researched this enough to know of any benefit. I am in the process of converting a Gen 4 35 to be 9mm full time except on crazy occasions that I would need a 40

gruntjim
03-12-2016, 10:16 PM

I carry a G17 Gen 4, and it's a lot faster on splits than the G23 Gen4 that I used to carry. I will say the Gen4 23 was ungodly accurate with 180 grain Gold Dot, to the tune of 4 of 5 rounds into the same hole at 30 yards. With that said, I think the 9mm is a far superior choice, given good ammo.

And we should remember that Glock themselves advocate for a diet of 180 grainers in .40. The 9mm is far more flexible in its requirements.

LockedBreech
03-12-2016, 11:56 PM
I carry a G17 Gen 4, and it's a lot faster on splits than the G23 Gen4 that I used to carry. I will say the Gen4 23 was ungodly accurate with 180 grain Gold Dot, to the tune of 4 of 5 rounds into the same hole at 30 yards. With that said, I think the 9mm is a far superior choice, given good ammo.

And we should remember that Glock themselves advocate for a diet of 180 grainers in .40. The 9mm is far more flexible in its requirements.

I shoot exclusive 180-grain Gold Dot or 180-grain HST in my .40s, and I'll give it to ATK, their 180-grain loads fly true like nobody's business. My Sig P220 .45 with 230-grain HST is the only thing I have more accurate, and that pistol is so accurate it's like I have a cheat code turned on.