PDA

View Full Version : Battle of the El Cheapo Bolt Action

Crews
01-09-2016, 02:38 PM
Affordable accuracy in bolt action rifles has come a long way as of late. I'm in search of a truck gun... A budget friendly option that can be left under the back seat at all times, and wouldn't break my heart if there was a break in and it was toted off. My needs are:
1. 1 1-2 moa accuracy or better
2. .308
3. Detachable box magazines, (or the ability to upgrade to)
4. Barrel thick enough to support a suppressor, with a twist rate suitable to stabilize subsonic loads.
This gun might serve double duty as a dedicated sub gun at times. Does the collective brain trust have any first hand experiences or suggestions on where to start?

okie john
01-09-2016, 02:49 PM
Remington 788.

Okie John

ranger
01-09-2016, 02:50 PM
Ruger American Predator with 18 inch threaded barrel in 308 (not box mag though). Associate here in GA did something like what you want around the Mossberg MVP Patrol rifle 308 with 16.25 barrel and I believe it comes threaded.

LOKNLOD
01-09-2016, 03:20 PM
I'd check out the Savage Hog Hunter (drawback being no detachable mag), and the Mossberg MVP Patrol rifle.

I like that both have iron sights so you don't have to add them or run a scope which is bulky for sliding behind a seat, and if low cost is your goal, I'm not sure I'd trust the zero on the kind of scopes I can afford to leave banging around behind as seat.

BehindBlueI's
01-09-2016, 03:30 PM
With the understanding this isn't really my wheel house, I looked pretty hard at the Savage Hog Hunter. No box mag, although you can upgrade it to one, but it's already threaded, etc. I ended up not wanting to sink the cash into NFA stuff, and never went anywhere with it.

JM Campbell
01-09-2016, 03:33 PM
Not detachable magazine though.

Savage 10pt-sr
http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/savage-10pt-sr-308-winchester-bolt-action-rifle?repChildCatid=1320220

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Wheeler
01-09-2016, 03:47 PM
I bought my son a .308 Ruger American. It shoots MOA @ 100 yards with cheap Federal 150 grain soft points. They all have a detachable magazine and the newer versions come with a threaded barrel, as mentioned above.

Crews
01-09-2016, 04:07 PM
I bought my son a .308 Ruger American. It shoots MOA @ 100 yards with cheap Federal 150 grain soft points. They all have a detachable magazine and the newer versions come with a threaded barrel, as mentioned above.

How happy are you with the function of the magazine system they have?

I'm tempted to get a savage and outfit it with a separate bottom metal kit so I can use my AI mags, but it really goes against my budget goals...

Wheeler
01-09-2016, 05:59 PM
How happy are you with the function of the magazine system they have?

I'm tempted to get a savage and outfit it with a separate bottom metal kit so I can use my AI mags, but it really goes against my budget goals...

Functionally it's fine. It's a hunting rifle so I'm ok with the four round capacity. The only issue we've had is the magazine catch. When my son was smaller he was about to take a shot at a deer, being a bit too small to hold the rifle he had it propped on the rail of a tower stand. As he leaned into the rifle it slid forward slightly and the mag catch hit the rail and the mag dropped out of the rifle. It rattled him so bad he didn't take the shot. :/

I've considered something similar as what you've described as a general purpose rifle. I've decided to go a different route but I think the American would serve that purpose otherwise.

ST911
01-09-2016, 06:05 PM

Fed #308A is typically a really good load at that price point. 1/2-2/3 the size of other ~150gr budgets from Win and Rem.

Chuck Haggard
01-09-2016, 11:12 PM
My cheap Savage .308, bought on a whim at Cabela's several years ago, has been a great gun.

I like the detachable magazine, and that it groups plain vanilla 150gr Federal SPs into 1 12/' all day long.

deputyG23
01-11-2016, 06:22 PM
If I weren't so heavily invested in 30/06 (two bolt guns and a Garand), I would pick up a Ruger American .308. I am strongly considering a .22 Ruger American for my next .22 purchase.

45dotACP
01-11-2016, 08:50 PM
My recommendation would be a Stevens 200...it can be worked up with an aftermarket barrel, stock, etc...if you want a cheap gun to keep stock, I wouldn't recommend it, but if you're a DIY guy, it's a great option...A Ruger American would be a good call for a stock cheapo gun.

Sent from my VS876 using Tapatalk