PDA

View Full Version : AIWB holsters with wings

Amurr
01-08-2016, 10:19 PM
I really like my 5 shot and find it has worked much better for my body stlye than the tuck/bump stlye holsters.

Looking for a kydex AIWB holster for a G19 that has wings.

So far I know of:
-Raven Eoidlen
-T-Rex Raptor
-Knowledge Skills Gear Minuteman
-Gn Craft has one also right?

Any one have any thoughts on these for a G19 or know of others. Not looking to drop SME leather coin on this. 100 is the most i would like to spend.

Thanks,
Amurr

orionz06
01-08-2016, 11:09 PM
I'd urge you strongly to avoid all kydex wings. The Eidolon and VG2 Advanced are really the cheapest ways to go for that style.

The JRC leather does something similar as well but I don't have any experience with one.

Sent from my Nokia 3310 using an owl

Amurr
01-08-2016, 11:11 PM
I'd urge you strongly to avoid all kydex wings. The Eidolon and VG2 Advanced are really the cheapest ways to go for that style.

The JRC leather does something similar as well but I don't have any experience with one.

May i ask why sir? Thank you for your thoughts.

orionz06
01-08-2016, 11:22 PM
They break. Kydex just isn't the material for that job.

runcible
01-09-2016, 06:56 AM
I agree with Orionz06, for the most part. There's a somewhat lengthy FB discussion I participated in, on this subject; and for many designs the concealment-increase isn't going to sufficiently offset the resulting stress-point. It's not wholly a lost idea, but there's a lot in play when one gives a holsterbody the lever potentially sufficient for its own destruction. It... gets a bit esoteric.

Amurr
01-09-2016, 08:35 AM

And to clarify you are not a fan of the of the kydex wings but of the choices above you feel the Eidolon is the least bad?

htomeheb
01-09-2016, 10:11 AM
And to clarify you are not a fan of the of the kydex wings but of the choices above you feel the Eidolon is the least bad?

The Eidolon, VG2, and their wings are all injection molded plastic and designed to be used with the wing.

Kydex is great for lots of things, but it has it's limitations. I've yet to see any kydex maker add a wing to their holsters that isn't an after thought with no regard to the stress being put on the material.

orionz06
01-09-2016, 11:45 AM

I like the wings. If I could have made one outta kydex when the SME came out I would have been doing just that. I still tinker to see what I can make that accomplishes the same that won't break.

The Eidolon is better with regards to materials and other nuances of the shape of things at the attachment. I have no issues suggesting it, it is a great holster. I spent 3 months using one exclusively to make sure I could honestly suggest it.

What I do know is that the SME won't break due to fatigue. It costs more but carries zero risk. For that you pay a "tax" of sorts.

Amurr
01-09-2016, 12:54 PM
Thanks for the response.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1slow
01-09-2016, 01:50 PM
I broke every raven AIWB with wings I had.
In AIWB wings take up a huge amount of real estate.
On the other hand a Sparks Executive is very comfortable carried at 3:00.

orionz06
01-09-2016, 02:08 PM
I broke every raven AIWB with wings I had.
In AIWB wings take up a huge amount of real estate.
On the other hand a Sparks Executive is very comfortable carried at 3:00.

If it was an ACR I can see why and the holsters the OP listed that weren't RCS are gonna experience the same fate. It's merely a matter of time.

Mirolynmonbro
01-09-2016, 11:52 PM
Trex Arms is going to switch to injection molded claws/wings soon. He doesn't have a date, but it's something they're working on

orionz06
01-10-2016, 12:15 AM
Trex Arms is going to switch to injection molded claws/wings soon. He doesn't have a date, but it's something they're working on

Will be interesting. I'll be curious to see if he solves any of the problems associated with wings on kydex or merely moves them around.

Rich@CCC
01-10-2016, 06:04 AM
Might I be so bold as to suggest the OP look at my Gestalt (https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?17106-Introducing-The-Gestalt-from-Custom-Carry-Concepts)?

Not wings per-se, but not nearly as bulky as the Shaggy either and tuckable.

The tab that helps pull the grip in tight is Kydex(or Boltaron) but the configuration is robust and if there is a failure in the material due to stress, it will not be a catastrophic failure and easily replaced.

$0.02

Amurr
01-10-2016, 11:18 AM
Might I be so bold as to suggest the OP look at my Gestalt (https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?17106-Introducing-The-Gestalt-from-Custom-Carry-Concepts)?

The tab that helps pull the grip in tight is Kydex(or Boltaron) but the configuration is robust and if there is a failure in the material due to stress, it will not be a catastrophic failure and easily replaced.

$0.02

Not a bad option at all. That might be the ticket right there m

MichaelD
01-10-2016, 12:02 PM
I'll second the Gestalt. I've been carrying with one since shortly after they came out and it's a winner. Rich and co. did a good job with it.

orionz06
01-10-2016, 02:05 PM

$0.02

I forgot about this one... The Gestalt doesn't have the issues others do.

Sasage
01-11-2016, 04:21 PM
I have a Phlster with an RCS wing, both on shield and 19 holster.

luckyman
01-11-2016, 04:28 PM
I have a Phlster with an RCS wing, both on shield and 19 holster.

Did you order it that way, or are the holes in a Skeleton such that you can retrofit one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sasage
01-11-2016, 04:36 PM
Just use the holsters holes.

https://www.instagram.com/p/9HCrjeslU8/

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Sasage
01-11-2016, 04:36 PM
I also bought some spacers from diyholster because without it retention was ridiculous

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

OnionsAndDragons
01-11-2016, 08:24 PM
I'd say the Gestalt is your best option as far as kydex goes. At least if the plate breaks, your holster still works and it can easily be replaced. It is a strong design.

The Eidolon is also excellent.

I'm no Orionz, but I also make some holsters and try to break them. The only wing concept that I got to work involved a titanium laminate. Not practical for production.

orionz06
02-12-2016, 11:54 PM
Been working on something and have some winged items coming out, both a sorta wedge/wing and an injection molded one I've been working to get for a bit now.

Kennydale
02-13-2016, 01:26 AM
5927 I use the Appalachian Concealment Gladius . The maker has taken a hiatus till maybe spring. He highly recommends the Gestalt If he can't get his business restarted by this summer, I will order a gestalt for my G19.