PDA

View Full Version : Brass Knuckles....

Tabasco
01-08-2016, 07:54 PM
How much do these show up at crime scenes these days?

http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Woman-held-in-Tenderloin-brass-knuckles-beating-6735737.php

odleo
01-08-2016, 08:42 PM
I have not seen any brass knuckles at any crimes scenes I have worked in 12 years.

Beat Trash
01-08-2016, 09:38 PM
In 23 years, I've seen exactly one set. And that was about 20 years ago.

Dagga Boy
01-08-2016, 09:42 PM
I found them once in a very blue moon. Possession was a crime with them, so crooks kind of avoided them as a guarantee to go to jail if they were found during a search by LE. They were very risky for parolees and probationers as there was no way to explain them away. It was far easier to use things like sharpened screw drivers or fist load other tools if needed. That was what caused my eye and head injury was getting hit in the orbital with a fist loaded crescent wrench.

Cookie Monster
01-08-2016, 09:44 PM
A Google News search for brass knuckles shows a bunch of articles.

gtmtnbiker98
01-08-2016, 09:49 PM
I charged a guy in August for possessing a set after a foot pursuit.

BehindBlueI's
01-08-2016, 10:07 PM
I see them rarely, but blunt object assaults don't come to my office unless it's critical condition or worse. The few incidents I've seen have usually been juveniles.

voodoo_man
01-08-2016, 10:55 PM
Honestly they used to be very hot, one summer i found a pair every weekend almost but it seems now people got tired of them.

JDM
01-08-2016, 11:03 PM
Maybe I don't understand how to use them, but every set of brass knuckles I've ever encountered seemed like an appliance to break a bunch of your own hand bones.

Dagga Boy
01-08-2016, 11:27 PM
Honestly they used to be very hot, one summer i found a pair every weekend almost but it seems now people got tired of them.

I very much think this is sort of a regional thing. I would imagine in every major city in the North East, they are part of the culture.

I was just looking recently on auction sites for a LE set as they were cop tools back in the day. I thought they would be neat to display with some of my depression era revolvers.

FOG
01-09-2016, 09:47 AM
Maybe I don't understand how to use them, but every set of brass knuckles I've ever encountered seemed like an appliance to break a bunch of your own hand bones.
Small pieces of foam pipe insulation taped to the "paper weight" will minimize damage to your hands.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

1slow
01-09-2016, 11:19 AM
Base braces against palm heel. This force and rigidity is transferred to the metal bar/rings that cover your fingers. Kind of like a blunt push dagger.

taadski
01-09-2016, 11:36 AM
Partner and I took a pair off a cat during a warrant arrest a couple weeks ago.

BehindBlueI's
01-09-2016, 11:39 AM

Nah, do it right and you don't feel much of anything other than in your palm. Punching people bare knuckles is great way to break your own hand bones. I learned what a Boxer's Fracture was pretty early in my career...

KenpoTex
01-11-2016, 10:05 AM
I worked a domestic this past spring where adult (habitual drunk) son used a set on his father...tuned him up pretty good too. We don't see them too often though; maybe a few times per year.

23JAZ
01-11-2016, 02:33 PM
How much do these show up at crime scenes these days?

http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Woman-held-in-Tenderloin-brass-knuckles-beating-6735737.php

They can be bought at most gun shows and/or flea markets. I believe they're called "paper weights".

Sero Sed Serio
01-11-2016, 02:42 PM
I had one case with brass knuckles. Suspect was showing off his new set of brass knuckles. Victim told suspect that "only pussies use brass knuckles." Suspected then proceeded to beat victim with said brass knuckles. When suspected was arrested the next day, he was wearing a shirt with a picture of brass knuckles on it that said "talk shit, get hit." The shirt was entered into evidence.

L-2
01-11-2016, 06:31 PM
FYI, in California:
Penal Code
21810. Except as provided in Chapter 1 (commencing with Section
17700) of Division 2 of Title 2, any person in this state who
manufactures or causes to be manufactured, imports into the state,
keeps for sale, or offers or exposes for sale, or who gives, lends,
or possesses any metal knuckles is punishable by imprisonment in a
county jail not exceeding one year or imprisonment pursuant to
subdivision (h) of Section 1170.

john c
01-11-2016, 09:03 PM
I worked an assault this summer where a victim was worked over with brass knuckles by one suspect in a 10-on-1 gang-related beat down. I just heard that on off duty gang detective at an agency not too far away was identified as a police officer in his driveway (along with another off-duty officer) by two Nortenos, and he was beaten down with brass knuckles. Required surgery on his face, apparently it was pretty ugly.

45dotACP
01-11-2016, 10:20 PM
Girl in my high high school worked her "friend" over with a combination lock...some debate over a baby daddy. Stitches were needed

Sent from my VS876 using Tapatalk

Jim Watson
01-12-2016, 12:32 AM
I have my Dad's. He drove a city bus and had brass (aluminum) knuckles and a blackjack for obstreperous passengers, a Colt for the real problems. I know he never had to shoot anybody. Hit? I dunno.

J_B
02-01-2016, 08:57 AM
I came across two pairs earlier in my patrol career (8-9 years ago). Set of black ones and pair of brass colored. I may have possibly hung the black set off my PC during my Army Reserve time....never caught any crap from my Det Sgt and he was asking me to find him a pair.

TR675
02-01-2016, 10:46 AM
I prosecuted a bunch of juvies with them back in the day. Usually as an add on charge to misdemeanor drug possession.

Chuck Haggard
02-01-2016, 10:54 AM
I just heard that on off duty gang detective at an agency not too far away was identified as a police officer in his driveway (along with another off-duty officer) by two Nortenos, and he was beaten down with brass knuckles. Required surgery on his face, apparently it was pretty ugly.

This sort of thing is why I carry, even in my own yard.

I've only seen brass knuckles a few times here in almost 30 years on the job. Once we caught a guy after a beat down trying to get the home made lead knuckles he had off of his fingers. They had smashed down and he couldn't get them off when the coppers showed up.

gtmtnbiker98
02-01-2016, 11:35 AM
This sort of thing is why I carry, even in my own yard.

I've only seen brass knuckles a few times here in almost 30 years on the job. Once we caught a guy after a beat down trying to get the home made lead knuckles he had off of his fingers. They had smashed down and he couldn't get them off when the coppers showed up.Hell, I carry in the house.

Beat Trash
02-01-2016, 11:56 AM
Glad to see that I'm not the only one who has a, "Grass cutting gun".

JodyH
02-01-2016, 01:30 PM
Only guy I know personally who was the victim of a robbery, was mowing his side yard grass and interrupted a burglary in his open garage when he walked around to get the weed eater. Robbed him by threatening him with one of his own screwdrivers.

LSP552
02-01-2016, 02:11 PM

Yep, and a carry the garbage to the curb gun.

LSP972
02-01-2016, 02:23 PM
And a watch-TV gun; and a surf-the-web gun; and a cook-breakfast gun; and a clean-your-other-guns gun; and…

gtmtnbiker98
02-01-2016, 03:28 PM
And a watch-TV gun; and a surf-the-web gun; and a cook-breakfast gun; and a clean-your-other-guns gun; and…

Dude, I even keep a Walther PPS 9mm loaded in my pocket while shooting my other pistols and rifles on the range. LOL

jimmymjr
02-01-2016, 04:41 PM
In 6 years on patrol, never

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Al T.
02-01-2016, 08:25 PM
Dude, I even keep a Walther PPS 9mm loaded in my pocket while shooting my other pistols and rifles on the range. LOL

8mm Shield for me, otherwise, ditto. :D

voodoo_man
02-06-2016, 11:46 AM
Sooooo this happened last night:

http://i.imgur.com/0BKbX8R.jpg

Those are brass knuckles, and a home made duck-tape sheath and a "skinner" style blade in a leather sheath and two other block knife blades. Car also had a bunch of ammo, holsters, various drugs and two felons wanted for robbery.

Figured it was worth sharing...

Ohh and a ski mask, they had a ski mask.

deputyG23
02-06-2016, 12:00 PM

Guilty as charged to all of the above. 442-2 in pocket always at home, and usually a Glock on the belt....

Al T.
02-06-2016, 12:40 PM
8mm Shield for me,

Gee whiz. Make that a 9mm.....

psalms144.1
02-06-2016, 01:21 PM
Sooooo this happened last night:

http://i.imgur.com/0BKbX8R.jpg

Ohh and a ski mask, they had a ski mask.No wonder all the Combos ended up in the cup holder - hard to snack through a ski mask...

Dr. No
02-06-2016, 01:54 PM
No wonder all the Combos ended up in the cup holder - hard to snack through a ski mask...

ROTFL ... I was going to make the same observation

voodoo_man
02-06-2016, 03:14 PM
No wonder all the Combos ended up in the cup holder - hard to snack through a ski mask...

This particular ski mask had a mouth hole.

They were just high...

Totem Polar
02-06-2016, 04:24 PM
Look at that kit: I bet they don't even have 20 bucks invested in the whole glovebox, unless one counts the roll of duct tape used for custom carry mods... goes to show that you don't need $400 knives and $1000 guns to be dangerous to somebody.

Going OT for a sec: it doesn't take a ton of digging to find instances of shooters killed at outdoor ranges for their guns: I take a long gun anytime I go to the old shooting hole to play with handguns, and the long gun doesn't get shot while there. JMO.

Beat Trash
02-06-2016, 04:30 PM

Glad I'm not the only one who looked at the picture,a nd the first thing I saw were the combo's spilled about. I must be getting hungry...

jnc36rcpd
02-06-2016, 04:46 PM
As I recall, it was a recreational shooter who survived his attempted murder in the Everglades that provided the lead that lead the FBI to Platt and Matix. Even on the indoor range, I keep a hot gun in my range bag.

voodoo_man
02-06-2016, 06:32 PM
Look at that kit: I bet they don't even have 20 bucks invested in the whole glovebox, unless one counts the roll of duct tape used for custom carry mods... goes to show that you don't need $400 knives and $1000 guns to be dangerous to somebody.

Going OT for a sec: it doesn't take a ton of digging to find instances of shooters killed at outdoor ranges for their guns: I take a long gun anytime I go to the old shooting hole to play with handguns, and the long gun doesn't get shot while there. JMO.

These guys arent going for a big score. Rob a local guy for a 20, get high, then maybe Omar your drug dealer and move on up in the world. Thats these guys plays.

If they had 1000 dollar guns and 400 dollar blades theyd be trying to knock off banks.

1slow
02-06-2016, 11:58 PM
As I recall, it was a recreational shooter who survived his attempted murder in the Everglades that provided the lead that lead the FBI to Platt and Matix. Even on the indoor range, I keep a hot gun in my range bag.

On my body.

UNK
02-07-2016, 10:31 AM
I'm so out of touch. http://tvblogs.nationalgeographic.com/2014/08/20/robbing-drug-dealers/

then maybe Omar your drug dealer

voodoo_man
02-07-2016, 10:33 AM
I'm so out of touch. http://tvblogs.nationalgeographic.com/2014/08/20/robbing-drug-dealers/

Omar was also gay, they left that out of the article.

UNK
02-07-2016, 10:36 AM
And his race...which is?

Omar was also gay, they left that out of the article.

voodoo_man
02-07-2016, 10:44 AM
And his race...which is?

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-Xn-0nMbUttk/VMWyt1nnSMI/AAAAAAAAC_A/gVgezANnpLA/s1600/You-Got-the-Briefcase-Omar.png

UNK
02-07-2016, 10:50 AM
Gee.. I never saw that coming...:rolleyes:
So not interesting or surprising that he is Obama's favorite character

voodoo_man
02-07-2016, 10:57 AM
Gee.. I never saw that coming...:rolleyes:
So not interesting or surprising that he is Obama's favorite character

not even remotely.

Super77
02-07-2016, 07:33 PM
Ohh and a ski mask, they had a ski mask.

and Combos... yum!

J_B
02-10-2016, 12:13 AM
I worked an assault this summer where a victim was worked over with brass knuckles by one suspect in a 10-on-1 gang-related beat down. I just heard that on off duty gang detective at an agency not too far away was identified as a police officer in his driveway (along with another off-duty officer) by two Nortenos, and he was beaten down with brass knuckles. Required surgery on his face, apparently it was pretty ugly.

I just read this. Was this in Northern CA? My wife came home from work and she mentioned briefing included this very similar story. She thought it occurred in Yolo County area. Woodland or West Sac.

My Sgt didn't mention anything in briefing and had no idea about it.

I shoulda asked my buddy from West Sac PD who I just saw at a perimeter tactics class last week.....