PDA

View Full Version : Searchable online database of gun owners. What could possibly go wrong?

NEPAKevin
01-07-2016, 03:21 PM
Do you know the gun owners in your circle? (http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/opinion/oped/bs-ed-bishop-0108-20160107-story.html)

And so, as President Barack Obama announced plans this week to tighten background checks for gun buyers and increase gun tracking and research, I thought, that's all well and good, but how about adding something immediately useful: a gun owner registry available to the public online — something like those for sex offenders. I'm not equating gun owners with predatory perverts, but the model is helpful here; I want a searchable database I can consult to find out whether my kid can have a play date at your house.

PNWTO
01-07-2016, 03:29 PM
So basically like an Amazon Wish List for assholes?

I'm all for it as long as there is another database composed of people who currently have prescription painkillers and marijuana in their houses.

jetfire
01-07-2016, 03:32 PM
Every time there's a push for new gun legislation, some tofu-eating hippy always thinks "what a great idea" it would be to have a publicly available list of gun owners out there, without thinking of the obvious consequences of such a thing. Back when I lived in Indiana, I worked NRA and state legislators to make sure that the IN CCW database was closed to public access, because at the time anyone with 10 bucks and a stamp could get an entire list of CCW holders mailed to them.

Peally
01-07-2016, 03:33 PM
So basically like an Amazon Wish List for assholes?

I'm all for it as long as there is another database composed of people who currently have prescription painkillers and marijuana in there house.

I'm all for having publicly listed card carrying Democrats and their addresses too while we're at it. Best to check if your kid's friend's parents are mentally stunted on some level before interacting with them.

NEPAKevin
01-07-2016, 03:35 PM
Or, how about an online searchable database of self proclaimed non-gun owners? I'm sure criminals will not use it for ill intent.

Peally
01-07-2016, 03:36 PM
If you fly a flag on your lawn just watch for who pisses their pants.

RoyGBiv
01-07-2016, 04:04 PM
Or, how about an online searchable database of self proclaimed non-gun owners? I'm sure criminals will not use it for ill intent.

Beat me to it.

Mitch
01-07-2016, 05:26 PM
This is shaping up to be one frustrating year.

Guinnessman
01-07-2016, 05:33 PM
So much for privacy and freedom. The stupidity of Americans never ceases to amaze me.

Pretty soon we will have a registry for those with blow up dolls and sex toys...............or perhaps one for those who go to Furry Conventions...........or those that have Hillary stickers on their cars.

:rolleyes:

LorenzoS
01-07-2016, 06:31 PM
I'm not equating gun owners with predatory perverts, but the model is helpful here;

Yes, he is definitely equating gun owners with the lowest of the lowest humans. Remember this next time they say they want a "conversation," this is what they really think of you. In fact, the CNN town hall is on in just a few hours. Every "gun safety" advocate on that stage thinks you are worse than a child molester.

Cookie Monster
01-07-2016, 06:51 PM
If you need a database to figure out where your kid can go play, you are a douche bag and a failing parent.

BehindBlueI's
01-07-2016, 06:56 PM
Do you know the gun owners in your circle? (http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/opinion/oped/bs-ed-bishop-0108-20160107-story.html)

If one is concerned about guns in the house prior to setting up a play date one could always...ask the person in question.

Skeeter
01-07-2016, 07:02 PM
Years ago there was a push to make the CHL holders public info where I live, LE opposed it for obvious reasons, and thankfully it was stopped. Related to the linked article above, talk to the appropriate adults about gun storage when a child is in someone else's home/car. I should have done this when my kids were young, thankfully my grand-kids parents are faster learners ;).

edit: BBI beat me to it, dang I'm a slow typer.

SeriousStudent
01-07-2016, 07:41 PM

Pretty soon we will have a registry for those with blow up dolls and sex toys...............or perhaps one for those who go to Furry Conventions...........or those that have Hillary stickers on their cars.

:rolleyes:

That's easy. Make three copies of the same list.

Done.

Dagga Boy
01-07-2016, 08:20 PM
If one is concerned about guns in the house prior to setting up a play date one could always...ask the person in question.

So...actual normal communication in person with another human....how weird would that be.

LOKNLOD
01-07-2016, 08:22 PM
Before the 33 percent of U.S. households containing a gun (half of which don't secure them) gets too worked up, they should know that it would likely include many of my relatives and their friends. My parents grew up in small town Minnesota, and hunting was a regular part of their lives before they left for other states, and it still is for many they know. My folks were taught how to handle guns and use them safely. But that doesn't do much to allay my fears; it's the simple presence of the weapon in the home and the possibilities it presents that terrify me.

"I think we need to publish a list of names and faces of all the young black men, who are statistically more likely to be involved in crimes. Before anyone gets riled up, it's okay because I've got some black friends."

David S.
01-07-2016, 08:24 PM
So...actual normal communication in person with another human....how weird would that be.

You could Facebook the question.

Dagga Boy
01-07-2016, 08:33 PM
You could Facebook the question.

Maybe we should go old school and we could have the gun owners wear a yellow star on an arm band.

11B10
01-07-2016, 08:36 PM

THIS^^^^!!

Sam
01-07-2016, 09:32 PM
Maybe we should go old school and we could have the gun owners wear a yellow star on an arm band.

Why stop there, just round them all up and put them in a violently controlled ghetto.

BehindBlueI's
01-07-2016, 10:06 PM

Mandatory open carry. Then you could have concealed carry rallies.

RoyGBiv
01-07-2016, 10:12 PM

Godwin for the win... And post 18... Life!

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/6/6c/Hebrew_Chai_Symbol.svg/220px-Hebrew_Chai_Symbol.svg.png (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chai_%28symbol%29)

SamAdams
01-08-2016, 09:24 AM
Skimmed the first paragraph and stopped.

One thing I've learned is to not give my time & attention to complete fools. That woman is a fool.

You cannot reason with someone who is not reasonable.

This keeps my aggravation level down . . . a little bit, anyway.

NEPAKevin
01-08-2016, 12:12 PM
Why stop there, just round them all up and put them in a violently controlled ghetto.

Because we have guns? Besides, we seem to round ourselves up in polite regions of more or less like minded individuals.

Dagga Boy
01-08-2016, 12:29 PM
I had a couple epiphany thoughts after reading her drivel. I am glad she was at least honest, and that let's us see the real issues with these people. She likely sits around in her nice suburban home surrounded by other people who look just like her watching MSNBC, and Al Jeezera for balance. She doesn't really worry because she doesn't live where "those black people" live so she is safe. Of course she is probably the first one calling for action against all those "racist" cops who spend entire careers trying to keep the majority of decent folks in those areas safe just like her neighborhood. These are the same people who "don't need guns", because they will call one of those stupid police people who aren't as successful and proper as them to come deal with one of those people from the other side of town if they happen to be in her neighborhood. As long as she can talk about climate change on Facebook and the war on women and make sure all those people on the other side of town kill as many of their babies as possible so they do not move to her neighborhood she is happy. If she can just get rid of those few neighbors who are willing to invest in their own safety by owning firearms, actually like those dirty police officers, and watch Fox News or worse...The Blaze, she will be much happier. Maybe if they make them wear arm bands, they'll move to Texas where the other icky people live.

byrdland
01-08-2016, 02:04 PM
Lady, your kids are not welcome at my house because you are a scary woman suffering from Fascist Ringworm Disease.