PDA

View Full Version : Help me spend some money on suppressors

GJM
01-07-2016, 08:35 AM
With pending changes to NFA trusts, I figure now is the time to finally pull the trigger on one or more suppressors.

Would like to cover the following bases:

1) something that would work on a 6.5 or .30 cal precision rifle

2) something that would work on a .300 BLK AR pistol or SBR (and ideally on 5.56)

3) a suppressor for something I don't know I need now, but later will want, like .22 or 9mm?

Just tell me what to buy and where from, keeping it simple as possible, so I don't have to decipher hundreds of pages of various threads!

punkey71
01-07-2016, 11:31 AM
While the guys at Griffin are a little...odd at times, I have 2 of there cans and no complaints (M4SD II 5.56 & the Revolution 9mm can).

There are so many great choices out there now but I keep coming back to the Griffin Optimus as my next can. Im trying to find a reason to NOT get it and I keep failing to do so.

The Optimus would literally work on every gun you mentioned. It has a .30 cal taper mount, works on 5.56, 300blk, 9mm and even 22LR. Are there better individual choices for each caliber? Sure. But this is one can, one stamp.

It's pretty impressive, imho.

Worth a look I would say.

https://youtu.be/e4KfGPM-cJc

ETA -where to buy? Forum member Hansohn Brothers http://hansohnbrothers.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=59_69&product_id=398

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Clusterfrack
01-07-2016, 11:54 AM
Precision rifle: Thunderbeast Ultra 7 in 6.5mm is what I would buy for myself if I had the $.

CoGT3
01-07-2016, 12:52 PM
So I did the same thing recently,, except my Spidie Sense about 41P was going off about 2 months ago. I currently have a trust with a single SBR. Had a feeling they would try to push 41P at the new year and the made the decision to have another SBR built and finally get some suppressors. At that time decided on:

Dedicated 5.56 can. Will live on new SBR predominantly as home/property rig

30 cal rifle can rated up to 300WM to cover all current and future rifles, be it another 5.56, 300BO, 6.5 (whatever current flavor), 308, or 300WM

45 cal pistol can. Covers both 45 and 9 pistols (use 147gr HST at home). Can also used on pistol cal carbine in future if needed, and most could be used for 300 BO also.

3 days ago when we all had an idea what was really going to happen, added a 22 can and another SBR lower. Just so much easier to deal with the paperwork now.

I am fortunate that I have a local FFL who deals with NFA items, so he has ordered all the cans and is building the SBR. They will prepare the paperwork so all I have to do is write a few $200 checks and Mail the paperwork. The other advantage of finding a local FFL to transfer through is you maybe able to has "visitation" rights while you wait for your stamps. I will be able to use the cans/SBR at the range when I shoot with the FFL.

Ordered Surefire 556 RC2, Surefire 300 SPS, SiCo 45 Octane, and SLR Rifleworks Aero

Already have a 14.5 PW with Surefire brake, so was pretty tied into Surefire for cans, there are more cost efficient choices, but not when you add in the cost of changing out pinned muzzle devices.

I think you choices are right in line with my reasoning, but would consider getting 45 cal pistol can, they work more than well enough on subsonic 9s and keeps options open the future ammo wise.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

NCmtnman
01-07-2016, 01:40 PM
A good friend of mine and my fathers owns Dead Air Armament (http://deadairsilencers.com/) which also is affiliated with Mike Pappas. We have a good amount of their line up except for the Ti can and while I am not a suppressed shooter on a regular basis, their cans are beautiful. Repeatable zero, incredibly easy to put on and off with one hand, and can be used on a variety of platforms. On a 300 blk, they, like others are laughably quiet. The tone is noticeably different from others as well. They just came out with a .45 can and the Mask for a .22. I have that one on my Ruger 22/45 and it's fun. Worth a look as they can be a one can solution. Currently several large PD's in the southeast are using them and after speaking with several people at the company there are no plans to go after the military market.

If you want the shortest 556 can then of course a dedicated and caliber specific can is hard to beat.

Adam78
01-07-2016, 01:50 PM
With pending changes to NFA trusts, I figure now is the time to finally pull the trigger on one or more suppressors.

2) something that would work on a .300 BLK AR pistol or SBR (and ideally on 5.56)

3) a suppressor for something I don't know I need now, but later will want, like .22 or 9mm?

Just tell me what to buy and where from, keeping it simple as possible, so I don't have to decipher hundreds of pages of various threads!

1.) Thunderbeast was already mentioned

2.) So far I like the Silencerco Omega

3.) A .22 and .45. The Sparrow and Octane fit this role for me.

Hit up Hansohn Brothers, they are vendors here and stand up guys.

SLG
01-07-2016, 03:08 PM
Suppressor technology is about as bad as computer tech, except that literally by the time you have it in hand, there is something better out there.

Any of the established makers will be gtg, if they offer something that appeals to you. I don't have a broad base of experience in cans, just some in depth experience with a few. TacSol makes great .22 cans, as do other people. TBAC makes great precision cans, as do other people. I don't really like any of the pistol cans out there, but the short Osprey might be worth a look.

If you are putting it on a gas gun, make sure it is compatible. many are not.

voodoo_man
01-07-2016, 03:56 PM
Gemtech "The One" for all the above needs.

GCORE can's for 300 and 9mm (also .22).

I have no complaints, they just work.

LittleLebowski
01-07-2016, 07:17 PM
GJM, I can answer your questions with logic and no bias and I am up to date on what is offered today. Feel free to call me tomorrow if you like.

I will also try to answer your post a little bit later.

ffhounddog
01-07-2016, 07:26 PM
Lebowski not biased? I dunno if that can be true with a man that only drinks White Russians.

I have been a long time Gemtech user and that was by choice due to talking with Kel a member on multiple forums that helped me out when there were basically only Surefire, KAC, AAC, and Gemtech.

Now we have lots of options. I have a surefire 9mm can on the way, a SICO warlock .22 can, SICO SpecWar 556K, and a Dead Air Sandman S. I got the Specwar for guns that are 16 inches. I am talking with Chris about one more can before this goes does. I currently have a Gemtech G5 and Gemtech HVT-QD.

I would look at some of the new offerings and maybe wait to buy until after Shot Show. There are still new items that are being released at the Show that I have been told about that interests me but price point has not been set.

voodoo_man
01-07-2016, 07:33 PM
Lebowski not biased? I dunno if that can be true with a man that only drinks White Russians.

Any man that has an issue with White Russians, needs to reevaluate his priorities.

LittleLebowski
01-07-2016, 07:36 PM

Silencerco Omega.

You might consider a .45 can to cover all your bases, think about it, and tell us. You want at least two .22 cans because when you wife tries one out, you'll lose it. Recommend the Dead Air Mask, following by the Silencerco Spectre II, then in no particular order; the Silencerco Sparrow or the AAC Element 2.

You are late to the game but not too late if you move on what is locally available on a Form 4 in your state. You need to move quickly.

Call me tomorrow.

GJM
01-07-2016, 07:51 PM
How to edit the title of this thread to "help me spend a little money on....."

LittleLebowski
01-07-2016, 07:53 PM

I'm not the one with the wife that likes to shoot as much as I do :D

Bare bones suggestion:

SiCo Omega - 5.56 through .300WinMag, comes with both QD mount and direct thread mount for precision rifles
Dead Air Mask - .22, .17 HMR

voodoo_man
01-07-2016, 07:55 PM

Ha!

You funny.

LittleLebowski
01-07-2016, 07:56 PM
I'm not the one with the wife that likes to shoot as much as I do :D

Bare bones suggestion:

SiCo Omega - 5.56 through .300WinMag, comes with both QD mount and direct thread mount for precision rifles
Dead Air Mask - .22, .17 HMR

Slightly less bare bones and more realistic:

SiCo Harvester - ultra light and extremely well priced ($500-ish), designed for hunting and precision work
Dead Air Mask - .22, .17 HMR X2

LittleLebowski
01-07-2016, 08:59 PM
Phone call scheduled for tomorrow morning :D

https://49.media.tumblr.com/dbaec9213553abde6e88b238f0b0c1ef/tumblr_n6eejhw8BB1taao3wo1_500.gif

GJM
01-07-2016, 09:07 PM

SiCo Harvester - ultra light and extremely well priced ($500-ish), designed for hunting and precision work

What, no 9/.45 can? Little less bare bones, please!

Sigfan26
01-07-2016, 10:04 PM

If your dealer has access to RSR Group, they just had Silencerco Hybrids in stock. It covers ALL those bases (and works on 45-70!!!)

Hansohn Brothers
01-07-2016, 10:15 PM
1) Thunder Beast Ultra 9 or 7 in 6.5mm
2) Dead Air Sandman-S
3) Rimfire suppressor (Dead Air Mask, SilencerCo Spectre, etc)

Wait a few weeks, there will probably be some new stuff released at SHOT.

LittleLebowski
01-07-2016, 10:20 PM
What, no 9/.45 can? Little less bare bones, please!

I'd rather have two rimfire cans than one rimfire can and a centerfire pistol can. Pistol cans are a novelty.

StraitR
01-07-2016, 10:28 PM

If the idea is to simply cover the bases, I'm not sure it would be worth purchasing both an Omega and a Harvester. With the direct thread module on the Omega, there's less than a 3 ounce difference between the two (11.3 vs 14), and the Omega is shorter, more versatile, and quieter according to SiCo. The Harvester is a bargain for sure, but it's still a $700 investment with the stamp.

I think GJM should take a hard look at the SiCo Hybrid for use on his guide guns, plus it's another rifle can that also covers the pistols. I agree that pistol cans are novelties.

I guess my suggestions would be...

SiCo Omega - 5.7/5.56/300blk/7.62/300WM
SiCo Hybrid - 9mm/45/5.56/300blk/7.62/458SOCOM/45-70
Dead Air Mask - .17/.22/5.7

GJM likes shotguns, so if he felt like splurging, he could also grab a Salvo.

ldunnmobile
01-07-2016, 11:09 PM
For precision rifle.... Thunder Beast Ultra series. I have an Ultra 9 being transferred to my local dealer now and I should be sending off a Form 4 in a few weeks.

LittleLebowski
01-07-2016, 11:13 PM
If the idea is to simply cover the bases, I'm not sure it would be worth purchasing both an Omega and a Harvester. With the direct thread module on the Omega, there's less than a 3 ounce difference between the two (11.3 vs 14), and the Omega is shorter, more versatile, and quieter according to SiCo. The Harvester is a bargain for sure, but it's still a $700 investment with the stamp.

I think GJM should take a hard look at the SiCo Hybrid for use on his guide guns, plus it's another rifle can that also covers the pistols. I agree that pistol cans are novelties.

I guess my suggestions would be...

SiCo Omega - 5.7/5.56/300blk/7.62/300WM
SiCo Hybrid - 9mm/45/5.56/300blk/7.62/458SOCOM/45-70
Dead Air Mask - .17/.22/5.7

GJM likes shotguns, so if he felt like splurging, he could also grab a Salvo.

You need to remember that his wife trains with him and hunts with him.

StraitR
01-07-2016, 11:34 PM
You need to remember that his wife trains with him and hunts with him.

Oh, I didn't forget, as I'm green with envy. I think this is precisely why I wouldn't bother with a Harvester, because they do more than just hunting. If they're constantly training together, it only makes sense to have two cans capable high volume 5.56 firing schedules as well as hunting chores. One person shooting suppressed while the other doesn't is silly, which is basically the same philosophy you have for rimfire cans. So, if anything, two Omega's would be more prudent and only slightly more expensive (+$300). Likewise, they could accomplish the same with one Omega and one Hybrid while sharing ASR muzzle devices, and still have coverage on 45-70's and pistols.

ETA: We all know George will end up with a dozen cans anyway, so this is just a matter of what he buys first.

GJM
01-07-2016, 11:38 PM
I would appreciate if you guys keep hashing things out tonight, and let me know the answer in the morning. :)

nalesq
01-07-2016, 11:43 PM
I'd rather have two rimfire cans than one rimfire can and a centerfire pistol can. Pistol cans are a novelty.

I basically agree with this. The only thing I use my pistol can for is on a pistol caliber carbine (a Colt 9mm AR) for when I want to shoot plates at relatively close range without having to wear ear pro.

GJM
01-07-2016, 11:45 PM
I basically agree with this. The only thing I use my pistol can for is on a pistol caliber carbine (a Colt 9mm AR) for when I want to shoot plates at relatively close range.

I have an Evo.

StraitR
01-07-2016, 11:47 PM
I would appreciate if you guys keep hashing things out tonight, and let me know the answer in the morning. :)

After I hit this Powerball on Saturday, I'll swing by VA in my new Bombardier Challenger 650 to pick up LL, and we can all discuss it over a beer. ;)

SteveB
01-08-2016, 07:34 AM
I have an Evo.

I'm planning on picking up an Evo as well, and SBR'ng it. The plan is to pick up a 9mm pistol can for use just with this SBR. I have a 762-SDN-6 for rifle use. No interest in using the 9mm can on a pistol. Looking at both Silencerco and Griffin 9mm cans; anybody have experience with either one? Any other 9mm favorites for SBR use?

punkey71
01-08-2016, 08:24 AM
I'm planning on picking up an Evo as well, and SBR'ng it. The plan is to pick up a 9mm pistol can for use just with this SBR. I have a 762-SDN-6 for rifle use. No interest in using the 9mm can on a pistol. Looking at both Silencerco and Griffin 9mm cans; anybody have experience with either one? Any other 9mm favorites for SBR use?
I've have the Griffin Rev 9. Host is a G19 typically.

Hansohn Bros was down a few months back and we metered the Rev 9 (and a ton of other cans) on my 19 in both configs and on a 8" 300blk with subs.

124ish in standard config
132ish in K

Honestly, the K config was louder but not in any way uncomfortable on the G19. It was louder for sure - just not horrifically. My FIL also has a Rev9 that is in full size config and we were shooting alternating shots a couple weeks ago. The standard length is pretty amazing when shot next to the K config.

That said, I keep it in the K config full time. Very hearing safe still and I like the shorter vs quieter. The full size is in not a huge burden or too cumbersome - I just wanted the shortest/lightest while hearing safe.

On a 300BLK with subs, it works, but its not nearly as quiet as the Sandman we had (or any other 30 cal can, I'm sure).

A pistol can is definetely a more niche product, and as some say, a novelty. I guess I agree - but all my cans could be accused of the same.

Its a nice backup (extra) 22 can as well. In the K config with the piston and spring removed its only about 1-2 ozs heavier and 1/2 longer than my Spectre II 22 can. On a 22 pistol with an optic or rifle, its very manageable.

Just my opinion.

rob_s
01-08-2016, 08:31 AM
My thought is this, and I've said it before: cans are a novelty/toy for the vast majority of buyers. If you find yourself fitting that description, you would do well to try and find singular cans that will work in more than one application. Yes, having a dedicated 5.56, .3 cal precision, 300 WTF subsonic, .22 rifle, .22 pistol, .45, 9mm, etc. can will get you better "performance", but that performance probably doesn't matter anywhere but the internet.

That said, I'd be looking at three cans
1) .30 cal can, 1.5" OD, <8" OAL, multi-mount with brakes and hiders in 7.62 and 5.56, < 16 oz.
2) .22 can that is also rated for .22 mag and .17 and is capable of being mounted on both pistols and rifles
3) .45 can that is capable of being mounted on pistols and rifles/subguns, preferably with a mount and/or endcap that allows the use of 9mm

and, I'd try to stick to name makers across the board. Want your Ops can serviced? Oh, wait, Ops doesn't exist anymore. The last year or two has seen the garage-buiilder suppressor market EXPLODE. I'm sure that many of them make good cans, and that's not the issue. The issue is that what are you supposed to do with your can when you fail to tighten it properly and get an endcap strike and your manufacturer doesn't exist anymore because the president/designer/welder/service/payroll/secretary/marketing guy has gone back to his IT job.

I know the answer for #1, the Silenceco Omega. I'm not sure if #2 and #3 even exist.

rob_s
01-08-2016, 09:44 AM
Looks like the Slencerco Sparrow might work for #2, and adds 5.7
http://www.silencershop.com/silencers/rimfire/silencerco-ss-sparrow.html

or the AAC Element which is a hair longe but 2 oz lighter and doesn't do 5.7
http://www.silencershop.com/aac-element-2.html

StraitR
01-08-2016, 10:02 AM
My thought is this, and I've said it before: cans are a novelty/toy for the vast majority of buyers. If you find yourself fitting that description, you would do well to try and find singular cans that will work in more than one application. Yes, having a dedicated 5.56, .3 cal precision, 300 WTF subsonic, .22 rifle, .22 pistol, .45, 9mm, etc. can will get you better "performance", but that performance probably doesn't matter anywhere but the internet.

That said, I'd be looking at three cans
1) .30 cal can, 1.5" OD, <8" OAL, multi-mount with brakes and hiders in 7.62 and 5.56, < 16 oz.
2) .22 can that is also rated for .22 mag and .17 and is capable of being mounted on both pistols and rifles
3) .45 can that is capable of being mounted on pistols and rifles/subguns, preferably with a mount and/or endcap that allows the use of 9mm

and, I'd try to stick to name makers across the board. Want your Ops can serviced? Oh, wait, Ops doesn't exist anymore. The last year or two has seen the garage-buiilder suppressor market EXPLODE. I'm sure that many of them make good cans, and that's not the issue. The issue is that what are you supposed to do with your can when you fail to tighten it properly and get an endcap strike and your manufacturer doesn't exist anymore because the president/designer/welder/service/payroll/secretary/marketing guy has gone back to his IT job.

I know the answer for #1, the Silenceco Omega. I'm not sure if #2 and #3 even exist.

#2 is a SiCo Sparrow. All stainless steel and full auto rated for .17 HMR / .22LR / .22 MAG / .22 WMR / .22 Hornet / 5.7mm

#3 is the SiCo Hybrid, but I don't think there's a 9mm end cap, yet. To get a #3 as you described, it will always be a rifle suppressor that can be configured (ie boosters) for pistols, never the other way around. As such, the trade off will be size and weight as compared to the typical pistol suppressor. I happen to agree with LL, pistol cans are novelties, but if I can buy a rifle can that has available boosters and endcaps, I'd probably pick them up just for the fun of it. TBH, the new SiCo Omega 9K has my interest, being so small and effective.

I seem to be coming off as a SiCo whore, but I'm not. They just happen to put out crap that suits my needs. If I were in the full-size pistol suppressor market, I would be choosing between Rugged and Dead Air. I have a Sparrow in NFA jail, but if I could do it over again, I'd get the Dead Air Mask, which was not out when I bought my sparrow. That's just the NFA game, there's always something better out before you can purchase a can and bring it home. haha. I actually enjoy the irony.

rob_s
01-08-2016, 10:09 AM
#2 is a SiCo Sparrow. All stainless steel and full auto rated for .17 HMR / .22LR / .22 MAG / .22 WMR / .22 Hornet / 5.7mm

#3 is the SiCo Hybrid, but I don't think there's a 9mm end cap, yet. To get a #3 as you described, it will always be a rifle suppressor that can be configured (ie boosters) for pistols, never the other way around. As such, the trade off will be size and weight as compared to the typical pistol suppressor. I happen to agree with LL, pistol cans are novelties, but if I can buy a rifle can that has available boosters and endcaps, I'd probably pick them up just for the fun of it. TBH, the new SiCo Omega 9K has my interest, being so small and effective.

Thanks!

I agree with you and LL re: pistol cans, with the one caveat that I've moved to a sub-rural area and the idea of a sub-sonic .45 or 9mm suppressed in a pistol has a certain appeal. I'm just rural enough that the neighbors wouldn't notice or care, and I might even get occasion to want to shoot an animal with a pistol, but not so rural as to be able to pop off unsuppressed and go unnoticed.

I have a Sparrow in NFA jail, but if I could do it over again, I'd get the Dead Air Mask, which was not out when I bought my sparrow. That's just the NFA game, there's always something better out before you can purchase a can and bring it home. haha. I actually enjoy the irony.

This is so true. Basically, by the time you get any can in your hands, it will be old-busted and new-hotness will just be hitting the shelves.

StraitR
01-08-2016, 10:56 AM
Thanks!

I agree with you and LL re: pistol cans, with the one caveat that I've moved to a sub-rural area and the idea of a sub-sonic .45 or 9mm suppressed in a pistol has a certain appeal. I'm just rural enough that the neighbors wouldn't notice or care, and I might even get occasion to want to shoot an animal with a pistol, but not so rural as to be able to pop off unsuppressed and go unnoticed.

This is so true. Basically, by the time you get any can in your hands, it will be old-busted and new-hotness will just be hitting the shelves.

This is exactly my situation as well. I hear gunshots weekly from the farms that surround our neighborhood, but I'm actually in a neighborhood, so I don't crank off unsuppressed rounds if I can avoid it. Being surrounded by farms (cattle on one side, vineyard/strawberry/blueberry patch on the other), we have a huge coyote problem.

They have destroyed one of the screen doors, twice now, leading into our screened in pool (FL, you know what I mean) after my wife's cats (two, brothers). The potential meal is starting to bring them to our property more often. The first time it happened, a big male (35ish pounds) was chasing one cat back out of the field behind our house and crashed through the screen door when the cat went through the doggie door. The second time was just before Christmas, looked like the same big male, and he tried to get after both cats that were bedded down already inside the pool lanai.

They've killed a Rottweiler and mauled a German Shepard about a mile from here. Cats and chickens go missing on a regular basis. They've also been seen approaching kids at play. I have a 3 year old daughter who is very small for her age (28lbs), and a son due in March. I'll shoot a coyote any chance I get, with whatever I have on me, which is usually a G19 or 43.

I already set up and call once a month with a bow, don't want to push and educate them too much, but I built a 300BLK just for this purpose, and when my Omega clears this month or early February, I'm on the motherfreaking warpath.

Game cam - check
FOXPRO caller - check
Ground blind - check
Night Vision - crappy, but check
TNVC Torch Pro - check
Safe full of subsonic ammo - check

I'll start a victory thread here upon success. Once GJM gets his cans, we'll need a suppressed hunting thread anyway.

nalesq
01-08-2016, 11:12 AM
I'm just rural enough that the neighbors wouldn't notice or care, and I might even get occasion to want to shoot an animal with a pistol, but not so rural as to be able to pop off unsuppressed and go unnoticed.

Since it's not even what I would consider truly hearing safe, the only 'real' reason I bought a 5.56mm can is to not be as bothersome to neighbors when doing a lot of shooting with a 5.56mm carbine.

Moreover, the difference in perceived sound suppression between different suppressors are so indistinguishable for this purpose, and because I very rarely shoot any rifle other than a 5.56mm carbine, my priorities were to seek a combination of light weightless and low cost.

Thus I went with a Silencerco Specwar K.

voodoo_man
01-08-2016, 11:21 AM
Just an observation from personal experience...

I was at the range on two different occasions when two different people with specwar's could not get them off their guns. One was a 556 gun, one was a 762 bolt action (both were 762 cans).

A buddy that works as a gun smith said this is a normal occurrence for specwars and he gets one every two or so weeks that come in (only gun shop in the area that will do work on removing cans from guns) with the same problem...

StraitR
01-08-2016, 11:41 AM
Just an observation from personal experience...

I was at the range on two different occasions when two different people with specwar's could not get them off their guns. One was a 556 gun, one was a 762 bolt action (both were 762 cans).

A buddy that works as a gun smith said this is a normal occurrence for specwars and he gets one every two or so weeks that come in (only gun shop in the area that will do work on removing cans from guns) with the same problem...

In the research I did leading up to my Omega purchase, I read the same. It's not a SpecWar issue specifically, more of an ASR mount thing, but it's not entirely uncommon industry wide. Typical offenders tend to be screw on mounting systems with locking collars based on my reading.

I also read that FireClean works well to prevent suppressors from getting stuck on mounts, the idea being to keep the mounts and muzzle devices as clean and clear of carbine as much as possible. Makes sense to me.

In effort to do what I can to prevent it, I've dipped all my ASR muzzle devices in FC, so we'll see.

voodoo_man
01-08-2016, 11:52 AM
In the research I did leading up to my Omega purchase, I read the same. It's not a SpecWar issue specifically, more of an ASR mount thing, but it's not entirely uncommon industry wide. Typical offenders tend to be screw on mounting systems with locking collars based on my reading.

I also read that FireClean works well to prevent suppressors from getting stuck on mounts, the idea being to keep the mounts and muzzle devices as clean and clear of carbine as much as possible. Makes sense to me.

In effort to do what I can to prevent it, I've dipped all my ASR muzzle devices in FC, so we'll see.

I have not had, nor have I ever heard of anyone having, any issues with Gemtech's bilock setup...

just saying...

StraitR
01-08-2016, 12:28 PM
I have not had, nor have I ever heard of anyone having, any issues with Gemtech's bilock setup...

just saying...

Nope, neither have I.

I really like the KAC QDC mounting system, but dislike that they have two different mount/muzzle device sizes for 7.62 and 5.56, which eliminates the multi-caliber crossover.

StraitR
01-08-2016, 12:36 PM
Phone call scheduled for tomorrow morning :D

https://49.media.tumblr.com/dbaec9213553abde6e88b238f0b0c1ef/tumblr_n6eejhw8BB1taao3wo1_500.gif

.................................................. ................................THIS GUY ^^^^^ is my favorite

Quoted because I'm interested in the outcome, and because it's an epic gif.

nalesq
01-08-2016, 12:45 PM

Dammit.

Wouldn't grease, which might stay put longer in high heat, work better to prevent the sticking?

rob_s
01-08-2016, 12:46 PM

just saying...

Maybe you haven't, but I've seen with my own eyes problems with a Gemtech mounted can and baffle strikes. No idea what the cause was, could have been all manner of issues, but nothing is perfect or without issues.

GJM
01-08-2016, 12:53 PM
.................................................. ................................THIS GUY ^^^^^ is my favorite

Quoted because I'm interested in the outcome, and because it's an epic gif.

LL called while I was flying over 'injun territory, and I missed him. We have now spoken and narrowed it down to 4 or 5 cans.

Clusterfrack
01-08-2016, 01:01 PM
Despite a lot of love for this product from very well respected folks, I'm not impressed by what I've read about the Omega:
http://www.silencershop.com/silencerco-omega-7-62.html
SilencerCo was able to make the Omega so light by wrapping a paper-thin layer of titanium around a stainless steel baffle stack & a Stellite blast baffle. Because the outer titanium tube is too thin for welding, SilencerCo relied on gluing the core into the tube instead - and the result is one of the lightest consumer-oriented 7.62mm suppressors on the market.
Once again, SilencerCo led the pack by keeping the Omega as light as possible for low-to-medium volume shooters - instead of focusing on a durable/easily warrantied outer tubes like other manufacturers had been focused on.

The 15 oz weight isn't that impressive in comparison to TBAC or other more durable cans, and the price isn't that different.

rob_s
01-08-2016, 01:31 PM
Despite a lot of love for this product from very well respected folks, I'm not impressed by what I've read about the Omega:
SilencerCo was able to make the Omega so light by wrapping a paper-thin layer of titanium around a stainless steel baffle stack & a Stellite blast baffle. Because the outer titanium tube is too thin for welding, SilencerCo relied on gluing the core into the tube instead - and the result is one of the lightest consumer-oriented 7.62mm suppressors on the market.
Once again, SilencerCo led the pack by keeping the Omega as light as possible for low-to-medium volume shooters - instead of focusing on a durable/easily warrantied outer tubes like other manufacturers had been focused on.

The 15 oz weight isn't that impressive in comparison to TBAC or other more durable cans, and the price isn't that different.

I'm assuming you're comparing to this?
https://thunderbeastarms.com/products/ultra-7

I have two questions...

1) How does one measure "durability" of a can?
2) Where does said "durability" fit in the hierarchy of choosing a can?

I like the look of the Thunderbeast, but not knowing where they'll be as a company in five years, and being unsure if they make 5.56 and 7.62 brakes AND hider mounts that will all work with the 7.62 can has me more interested in the Omega.

JR1572
01-08-2016, 01:49 PM
I like the look of the Thunderbeast, but not knowing where they'll be as a company in five years, and being unsure if they make 5.56 and 7.62 brakes AND hider mounts that will all work with the 7.62 can has me more interested in the Omega.

I don't know where they will be, but I don't think anyone expected AAC to ever go away.

JR1572

JR1572
01-08-2016, 01:59 PM
AAC went away?

I've heard that on more than one occasion by people who are more knowledgeable about the suppressor industry than I am. I have not verified that as absolute fact, I'm just repeating what I have heard from several individuals.

JR1572

rob_s
01-08-2016, 02:04 PM
I've heard that on more than one occasion by people who are more knowledgeable about the suppressor industry than I am. I have not verified that as absolute fact, I'm just repeating what I have heard from several individuals.

JR1572

then why bother posting it at all?

JR1572
01-08-2016, 02:05 PM
then why bother posting it at all?

You're right. I'll google and double-fact check everything I post on the Internet from this post forward...

JR1572

StraitR
01-08-2016, 02:38 PM
I'd much rather have self cleaning, multi-caliber, multi-platform, 3 oz mini can made of bombproof Industructanium™ boasting a -40dB reduction rating capable of sustained belt-fed fire that cost lest than $500, but that's not how all this works.

Nothing is without compromise. Size, weight, durability, modularity, user serviceable, sound suppression, flash suppression, repeatability, cost.. etc. etc. are all on a sliding scale. To get more of one thing, you must give up a little of something else. If the perfect can existed, as described above, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Determine a budget, establish your wants vs needs, and choose appropriately. Then all that's left is simply accepting that something better will come out while you're waiting on your Form 4(s) to process.

Robinson
01-08-2016, 02:50 PM

Can you elaborate please? Are they not practical in application?

rob_s
01-08-2016, 03:23 PM
You're right. I'll google and double-fact check everything I post on the Internet from this post forward...

JR1572

no, by all means, continue spewing forth from every orifice.

At least now we know what to expect.

JR1572
01-08-2016, 03:54 PM
Anybody have any real info on AAC?

My local shop is/was a stocking dealer but I haven't looked at their can selection in years. I do notice that AAC is still active on FB.

Check with rob_s. After reading his last few posts, he must be the person in the know.

JR1572

JR1572
01-08-2016, 04:07 PM
no, by all means, continue spewing forth from every orifice.

At least now we know what to expect.

Apparently since you won't let it go and resorted to insults:

1) I googled that and found out that I was wrong.

2) Yes, I was wrong.

3) I didn't fact check it before I posted it because I really don't care if they're in business or not. You mentioned about where a business may be in 5 years, and I thought that the business was not around anymore. Apparently they are, but I didn't notice it because I was never an AAC fanboi and I haven't seen people going nuts about their stuff on the Internet or in person for a while.

I'm SO SORRY I hurt your feelings.

JR1572

StraitR
01-08-2016, 04:50 PM
Dammit.

Wouldn't grease, which might stay put longer in high heat, work better to prevent the sticking?

I thought that was the whole purpose of Fireclean? Quote taken from their website... "FIREClean™ conditions metal - to resist carbon and other fouling buildup as well as providing durable lubricity." I'm still waiting on my Omega to clear, so I'm just following the suggestion of a friend of mine who uses FC on his AAC mounts/muzzle devices for the same reason. Seems to work for him. That, and SilencerShop put a little tube of it in the Omega box with their other swag, so I took that as another suggestion.

I wouldn't get discouraged by thinking this is an ASR or SiCo issue. Simply google "suppressor stuck" (https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=suppressor+stuck&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8) and see how common it is. The first page link descriptions mention Surefire, TBAC, YHM, Gemtech, and AAC, just to name a few, and that's without clicking any of the links. It seems more like a maintenance problem than anything. Either way, I'm not the least bit concerned.

jc000
01-08-2016, 05:22 PM
I have two questions...

Well, I'll play.

Durability is quite important to me. I have limited funds and when I get into the suppressor game, I really need something that will last decades if possible. I would define durability as having a similar lifespan to a milspec m4 barrel (<20k rounds?). With my current rifle shooting schedule that would take quite a while. I'd also like to know there is no risk using the suppressor in a high-round count class or similarly stressful environment (exposure to weather, lots of drills, bumps and banging around).

It's very possible the Omega could fill that role. I don't know. I'm looking at that or the Sandman for sure.

TR675
01-08-2016, 05:36 PM
Apparently since you won't let it go and resorted to insults:

1) I googled that and found out that I was wrong.

2) Yes, I was wrong.

3) I didn't fact check it before I posted it because I really don't care if they're in business or not. You mentioned about where a business may be in 5 years, and I thought that the business was not around anymore. Apparently they are, but I didn't notice it because I was never an AAC fanboi and I haven't seen people going nuts about their stuff on the Internet or in person for a while.

I'm SO SORRY I hurt your feelings.

JR1572

There's nothing wrong with flashing your ass in public, we've all done it - but try to admit it gracefully, you know?

If you said something like "I posted a rumor that, on further investigation, was wrong. I'll watch that in the future. Thanks for setting the record straight," I don't think anyone would blink.

robs didn't do anything wrong here.

JSGlock34
01-08-2016, 06:22 PM
Anybody have any real info on AAC?

My local shop is/was a stocking dealer but I haven't looked at their can selection in years. I do notice that AAC is still active on FB.

I own a few AAC products (Ti-Rant 9, M4-2000, SDN-6)...the company still exists but several years ago was acquired by Remington. Some of the more prominent AAC personalities subsequently left the organization and joined competing firms (most significantly SIG's new suppressor division). Over the last year, AAC has been embroiled in a difficult relocation from Lawrenceville, GA to Huntsville, AL. I think even their most ardent supporter would agree that the relocation has wreaked havoc on their product availability and customer service, and they have surely lost significant market position over the past year. I'm happy with my AAC purchases (especially the Ti-Rant 9) but these events make it hard to recommend them.

That said, I was still going to suggest the AAC SDN-6 for consideration, as I recalled this post from GJM...

We have three 9 inch AAC uppers, and like them.

Every AAC .300 upper I've seen comes equipped from the factory with the 51T muzzle device for the SDN-6. I found my SDN-6 for a ridiculous price, so deals are out there...and swapping multiple muzzle devices will add up at ~$100 a pop. For example, Silencershop has the SDN-6 listed at $632 (out of stock right now though)...you'll nearly spend half the price of the SDN-6 swapping out the existing 51T muzzle devices on the three AAC uppers to mate with something else.

I know some SilencerCo products can mate with 51T devices, so that might be another option. Not sure what GJM's collection of 5.56 and .300 uppers consists of (I'll take a wild stab that he's got more than a few...), but if there are a number already equipped with a particular suppressor compatible muzzle device (like the 51T on the AAC uppers), it might factor into the decision-making.

Adam78
01-08-2016, 06:33 PM

It is certainly something to consider.

Though, so is Silencerco's warranty - "We stand behind our products with a lifetime warranty, no matter what – even if it’s not a product defect. We answer every question asked and go above and beyond to serve our customers. Our 48 hour repair turnaround even warranties stupid…once." - https://silencerco.com/about/

LittleLebowski
01-08-2016, 06:36 PM
Can you elaborate please? Are they not practical in application?

I don't think they are but I'm not a fan of carrying around a pistol with a suppressor attached.

LittleLebowski
01-08-2016, 06:38 PM
Most of this talk is theoretical for now. Some said I was dramatic with this thread (https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?18636-BUY-NOW-IF-YOU-WANT-TO-USE-A-TRUST-Obama-requiring-background-checks-for-NFA) but all of the suppressor dealers in the nation are running out of inventory.

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/57247234.jpg

Clusterfrack
01-08-2016, 07:47 PM
I'm assuming you're comparing to this?
https://thunderbeastarms.com/products/ultra-7

I have two questions...

Yes, the TBAC Ultra 7 looks really nice. I have a 30P1, and it's been excellent. You raise good questions, and a valid point. I don't have the answers, but here are some of the things I consider.
1) Noise reduction
2) POI shift & repeatability
3) Durability to firing
4) External durability
5) Functionality of mount
6) Weight
7) Length
8) Multicaliber compatibility
9) Reputation of manufacturer, warranty, and predicted longevity of their business
10) Cost

Depending on application, I rank some aspects more highly. For example, external durability is important for me for 5.56 and precision rifle cans because those guns get bashed around.

GJM
01-08-2016, 08:03 PM
Man, I am getting more confused by the page. Can we get a PF consensus by Monday so I can place an order?

Right now leaning towards two Omega cans, two .22 cans, and maybe one more that could do pistol to .45-70.

Darryl may be hooking me up,with some skookum can in exchange for giving him .45-70 lessons.

LittleLebowski
01-08-2016, 08:19 PM
Man, I am getting more confused by the page. Can we get a PF consensus by Monday so I can place an order?

Right now leaning towards two Omega cans, two .22 cans, and maybe one more that could do pistol to .45-70.

Darryl may be hooking me up,with some skookum can in exchange for giving him .45-70 lessons.

What have you found that is in stock?

ffhounddog
01-08-2016, 08:31 PM
Well we know the Silenco Hybrid can do what you want to do with the 45-70.

I am looking at the Hybrid because of the .223 and 9mm/45 route but the Dead Air Ghost is calling to me.....I wish there was a can that can do .22/9mm/5.56 and at 7 inches that can take ASR mounts....or Dead Air Mounts but I am wishing too much.

GJM
01-08-2016, 09:30 PM
What have you found that is in stock?

I thought I was just supposed to call them and mention your name?

Paul D
01-08-2016, 09:39 PM
I have an Omega, AAC SR7, AAC M4-2000, 556-SD, AAC Ti-Rant 9, Gemtech Oasis II and AAC Element II.

Omega: I use this on hunting guns, and really heavy or long rifles. It is light and short and comfortable to carry. Rated up to 300 WM. Very versatile. I don't do sustained fire with this.
SR7: I use this for my .30 autos (FAL, AR10s, etc). I rapid/continuous fire with this can.
M4-2000 & 556-SD: Old design but it works. I use this for automatic fire with my full auto rifles. BTW, AAC parts and accessories are readily available at Midway and Brownells. This is why I kinda stick with this brand.
Ti-Rant 9: because reasons....
Oasis and Element: because fun....

Main reason I got the cans is because loud noises annoy me, especially at indoor ranges.

Robinson
01-08-2016, 11:29 PM
I don't think they are but I'm not a fan of carrying around a pistol with a suppressor attached.

I don't mean to beat this to death, but how about utility for a home defense weapon? Big negatives other than handling characteristics and a possible grab by an intruder?

ffhounddog
01-09-2016, 09:01 AM

LL is getting a commission from suppressor sales in the vain of two white Russians with premium French Vodka and skim milk.

JSGlock34
01-09-2016, 10:08 AM
I don't mean to beat this to death, but how about utility for a home defense weapon? Big negatives other than handling characteristics and a possible grab by an intruder?

At least at one time Chris Costa was a fan of the suppressed pistol for a home defense weapon. This interview is four years old now, so no idea if this reflects his current thinking.

Costa Interview (http://www.rem870.com/2012/04/27/full-interview-with-chris-costa/)

Chris Costa: Well, here is where it can get a little controversial and complicated.

My home defense gun is a handgun. It’s got an X300 Surefire on it and is equipped with a DG Grip switch, which allows me to light and shoot with one hand. I also run a suppressor on it.

Imagine waking up in the middle of the night and trying to clear your house with an 18” barrel gun – that’s what a shotgun is! You also need to be able to work a light on it while being stealthy and efficient.

If I wake up in the middle of the night, half naked, needing to defend my family and my home, I can shoot and employ my handgun one-handed while I grab my children and maneuver around my house extremely quickly, all the while knowing that I have 17 rounds at my disposal. If you have to grab one of your kids because they’ve popped out in between you and a threat, then you’re stuck trying to fire a 12 gauge one-handed; it can be done (I do it all the time in my demonstrations), but not without a lot of practice, and it’s certainly not ideal.

I also believe that trying to deal with a threat that you can’t see is a much greater concern than one you can see. If there’s an intruder in my house that is visible, then I am actually in the process of solving that particular problem. If there’s someone in my house that I can’t see, that scares me much more. So imagine that you have someone in your house that you can’t see, you don’t have ear protection, and you don’t have a suppressor and are not using a handgun (handguns naturally being quieter than a shotgun) – if you fire that shotgun it’s going to be extremely loud, and you will probably lose your hearing for a few minutes. Those few minutes can be vital, because the intruder now knows where you are and you’re unable to be as alert as you normally would. Having that suppressor addition is very important to me; using a handgun with a suppressor means if it fires a foot and a half from my ears, my hearing is still protected.

So to sum it up, if I clear my house during the night with a handgun, I can shoot suppressed, I can white light, I can work one-handed if I need to grab one of my kids, and if push came to shove I could pistol-punch an intruder with the muzzle of my gun. I can’t do any of that with a shotgun.

LittleLebowski
01-09-2016, 10:38 AM

Prolly should have done this a week ago when folks accused me of panicking ;) Waiting 24 hours at this point is not a good idea. I told Hansohn Bros to call you today. Ask him about nationwide inventories on suppressors.

Matt O
01-09-2016, 10:57 AM
I do wish I could afford a second can right now, but the holidays were expensive enough already. :eek:

ffhounddog
01-09-2016, 11:20 AM
I am just trying to figure out if I want that SICO Hybrid. On a Glock 22 that would be a very thick can at 1.56 ve a 1.375 for most other 45 cans. Granted I could see me using the Hybrid on my 9mm AR, Beretta CX4, and then turn around an put it on a 300WM (when I deem I need one) and then on the Rifles that have the ASR mount. It would make a good suppressor on the Trust for that reason but I have this want of running a Glock 22 and a 40SW PDW suppressed with 180 grain Pills.

LittleLebowski
01-09-2016, 05:23 PM

I have a pistol for HD because I have kids and locking up a long arm in my bedroom yet making it readily accessible to me is not very easy.

I think adding a suppressor would only take away from the utility of it.

I know that some like pistol cans and that's cool, I'm glad they can get them. I don't like them. Everyone starting out with cans should get a 7.62 can and a rimfire can. That will realistically cover most bases for you (hunting, carbine, plinking).

Rimfire cans are the most fun by far. Anyone with a family or a spouse that shoots should automatically buy or build two rimfire cans.

nalesq
01-09-2016, 05:32 PM
Most of this talk is theoretical for now. Some said I was dramatic with this thread (https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?18636-BUY-NOW-IF-YOU-WANT-TO-USE-A-TRUST-Obama-requiring-background-checks-for-NFA) but all of the suppressor dealers in the nation are running out of inventory.

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/57247234.jpg

Just spoke with my local dealer this morning. He says he's sold over $55K worth of silencers since Obama's proclamation earlier this week.

ffhounddog
01-09-2016, 05:42 PM
Nice, I talked to Hanshon for a new toy taking LL's advice about another .22 can especially one that can take 22mag since my warlock will only be used for .22.

Talked with Corporate Arms today about my AR9 and the Form 4 hopefully will be to me by May for a class. Rocking a 9mm at a training class will be the bomb. If not Just going to grab my little friend from PWS. 5374

punkey71
01-09-2016, 05:42 PM
Prolly should have done this a week ago when folks accused me of panicking ;) Waiting 24 hours at this point is not a good idea. I told Hansohn Bros to call you today. Ask him about nationwide inventories on suppressors.

I dragged my feet for a few days trying to decide what to do.

Talked to Chris today and suffice it to say, I'm out of luck for a bit. Hopefully he can find the two cans I want within a few weeks or so.

Hopefully...

ffhounddog
01-09-2016, 06:00 PM
I talked with Chris and he changed my mind on what I wanted. Hopefully Shot Show will mean a new can and I have this credit card ready for action.

I was not going to buy a lot of things but the security and political climate is scary. I am even listening to more radio shows on NPR because my calm is not calm any more.

Glocks are back HKs in the Safe and LL is making me drink my 18 year since I am now too poor to buy more Scotch.

nalesq
01-09-2016, 06:30 PM
I have a pistol for HD because I have kids and locking up a long arm in my bedroom yet making it readily accessible to me is not very easy.

I think adding a suppressor would only take away from the utility of it.

I have small kids too and the pistol with silencer already attached simply doesn't fit in the discreetly sized bedroom pistol safe. There's no way I'm going to waste time screwing the can on if there's a legit perceived threat in the middle of the night.

LittleLebowski
01-09-2016, 07:31 PM
I dragged my feet for a few days trying to decide what to do.

Talked to Chris today and suffice it to say, I'm out of luck for a bit. Hopefully he can find the two cans I want within a few weeks or so.

Hopefully...

I hate being right about this. Watch this year, I'll be right about this one (https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?16894-2016-is-coming) too and folks will be missing those $40 stripped lowers.

LittleLebowski
01-10-2016, 10:26 AM
Hansohn Bros took care of GJM, not my place to say what GJM got.

ffhounddog
01-10-2016, 10:45 AM
LL is right. One 22 can is NOT enough and Hansohn took my info for another can and future mounts for my Dead Air (Cannot wait for . I hate it when LL is right because then he tells me he was right when ever he is out and about.

I have been buying Glock mags and AR mags because LL says to. I think my two Andersons I got local for $49 will do with the LPKs I got from Palmetto and the tubes from Bravo Company will do for a bit.

I did submit another Form 1.

punkey71
01-10-2016, 12:54 PM
Yep. A second 22 can is coming.

Chris says he should have the 22 can I want in a week.

I found the 30 cal can at Capitol Armory and Hansohn is doing the transfer for me.

After next week I AM DONE with suppressors.

SeriousStudent
01-10-2016, 12:56 PM
I ordered a rimfire can and two centerfire cans last night. I've re-arranged some financial priorities, and will be buying another rimfire and centerfire can a month for the next three months. That should put me where I need to be. I've already submitted a goodly number of Form 1's for assorted short-barreled weaponry.

Take that, you gun-grabbing forces of evil! :cool:

GJM
01-10-2016, 01:11 PM
Hansohn Bros took care of GJM, not my place to say what GJM got.

Thanks to LL and Hansohn Brothers, I will be a proud owner of:

2 Dead Air Mask
1 SilencerCo Hybrid
2 SilencerCo Omega

Sigfan26
01-10-2016, 02:53 PM
Thanks to LL and Hansohn Brothers, I will be a proud owner of:

2 Dead Air Mask
1 SilencerCo Hybrid
2 SilencerCo Omega

Do you have a threaded 45-70 yet?

GJM
01-10-2016, 04:21 PM
Do you have a threaded 45-70 yet?

Nope, I am just busy stocking up on ice before the hurricane makes landfall.

jossta
01-10-2016, 04:44 PM
I have small kids too and the pistol with silencer already attached simply doesn't fit in the discreetly sized bedroom pistol safe. There's no way I'm going to waste time screwing the can on if there's a legit perceived threat in the middle of the night.

Might be too big for what you're wanting, but fas1 makes a dedicated suppressed pistol safe that I'll be getting for nightstand duty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk