PDA

View Full Version : A H&K kind of day (45 Tac, USPC)

JodyH
01-05-2016, 07:39 PM
Today was a H&K kind of day.
Picked up my OD HK45 Tactical and my USPC9 (both are V7 LEM) from my friendly local FFL.
I have 250 assorted rounds of .45 and 250 rounds of 9mm all ready to hit the range tomorrow.
TruGlo TFX sights already installed on the HK45, orange Trijicon HD's on the USPC9.
The Tactical is also sporting a Steiner DBAL-PL.
Should be a fun day tomorrow.

If all goes according to plan the HK45T will be my new nightstand pistol (replacing a P30L .40) and the USPC might be my new CCW.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160106/452876ffdeb6b67bb0fd186caa6beb57.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160106/20964b0da66d10a1d56ab5a83607e2cb.jpg

RJ
01-05-2016, 08:04 PM
That must be a big flipping nightstand. :cool:

TGS
01-05-2016, 08:18 PM
I've often thought the USPc would have been a better daily carry than the P2000.

What's your thought?

JodyH
01-05-2016, 08:23 PM
I've often thought the USPc would have been a better daily carry than the P2000.

What's your thought?
The USP LEM has a shorter reset.
The grip texture is slightly more aggressive but doesn't chew up my skin like the P30 texture.
The USP has a single slide release lever, but its bigger than the ambi levers on the P2000.
The P2000 is very slightly thinner across the slide and the slide has a bit more taper.

I'm going to try the USPc as my CCW for the winter, when my hands are cold or I'm wearing thin gloves I like the USP grip texture and the fatter slide release better.

GJM
01-05-2016, 08:24 PM
My thought is the USP C has shorter reset than the P2000 but the P2000 is significantly sleeker for EDC. My last summer combo was the USP 45 full size with Super out and about and P2000 .40 in town.

HCM
01-05-2016, 08:33 PM
My thought is the USP C has shorter reset than the P2000 but the P2000 is significantly sleeker for EDC.

This ^^^^

Dagga Boy
01-05-2016, 08:49 PM

It is a full size nightstand gun. I use a HK45 LEM as mine as well.

My thought is the USP C has shorter reset than the P2000 but the P2000 is significantly sleeker for EDC.

Ditto in agreement

JodyH
01-05-2016, 08:51 PM
My thought is the USP C has shorter reset than the P2000 but the P2000 is significantly sleeker for EDC. My last summer combo was the USP 45 full size with Super out and about and P2000 .40 in town.
The USPc fits in the same Kolbeson Texas Comfort AIWB as my P2000, and feels the same stuffed in my pants.
Can't be that much sleeker.

Speaking of 45 Super, have you ever tried a Mark 23?
I've been looking at picking one up to shoot 45 Super out of in anticipation of a month long Northern Rockies solo dual-sport motorcycle camping trip later this summer or next year depending on my work schedule.

GJM
01-05-2016, 08:56 PM
I haven't tried the 23, but occasionally I think about them. The USP 45 has been a great field gun for me, runs Super unmodified, has decent holster and HD sight options.

JodyH
01-05-2016, 08:57 PM
The P30L w/Steiner DBAL-PL has the same slide length, it's just about 1/2" shorter in the grip and the Tactical barrel sticks out another 3/4" or so.

JodyH
01-05-2016, 09:01 PM
I haven't tried the 23, but occasionally I think about them. The USP 45 has been a great field gun for me, runs Super unmodified, has decent holster and HD sight options.
I was thinking the Mark 23 would be easier to shoot with motorcycle gloves on.
When I go backcountry camping on the bike, I like to get well away from civilization and Montana/Idaho are grizzly (and meth head) country.
I'm not worried about anything while I ride, but I feel like a bear burrito in my solo tent and I make my mc gloves pull double duty as warm gloves so shooting with them on is something to consider.

GJM
01-05-2016, 09:13 PM
I was thinking the Mark 23 would be easier to shoot with motorcycle gloves on.
When I go backcountry camping on the bike, I like to get well away from civilization and Montana/Idaho are grizzly (and meth head) country.
I'm not worried about anything while I ride, but I feel like a bear burrito in my solo tent and I make my mc gloves pull double duty as warm gloves so shooting with them on is something to consider.

The USP 45 is very easy to shoot with gloves and in inclement conditions. However, it isn't so big that it is a problem AIWB. I have a JM George for the USP and use it regularly.

I would like to have a 23, but more as a novelty given its footprint and weight.

JodyH
01-05-2016, 09:15 PM
I'll find a USP45 to coonfinger (with my gloves on) and see how it feels.
The HK45 trigger guard is a bit small for the armored mc gloves.

SLG
01-05-2016, 09:22 PM
Carrying the 23 is a pita. Shoots well, but not enough to overcome its downsides, imo.

JodyH
01-05-2016, 09:26 PM
Carrying the 23 is a pita. Shoots well, but not enough to overcome its downsides, imo.
On the bike it will be in the tank bag and my Kahr PM9 will be in my pocket.
The only time the Mk23 or USP45 would be on me is while setting up camp and while doing camp chores (especially while cooking, bears love my cooking) at night it will be next to my head in the tent.

GJM
01-05-2016, 09:45 PM
One thought based on a bunch of nights in a tent in Griz country. Wear your holstered pistol in the sleeping bag. If things go south during the night, due to a bear, you will likely be moving and it would be nice to be moving with your handgun, as opposed to trying to find it in the chaos.

I leave the holster and belt over the top, as opposed to thru belt loops, so I can position it for comfort. My wife does the same.

Dagga Boy
01-05-2016, 09:54 PM
Okay, full stop. My favorite shop just got a MK23 in. It took everything in my power to walk out today without buying it, so just stop it! No more Mk23 talk. The fact that it is one of the most accurate and reliable pistols ever made and built around +P .45 is irrelevant and I am going to ignore those facts. I will keep telling myself they are a non ergonomic pig....even though it is an easy to shoot non-ergonomic pig. Nah Nah Nah....I cannot hear you.

JodyH
01-05-2016, 09:57 PM
Das German Uber Deagle (with da beams Yo!)

JodyH
01-05-2016, 09:59 PM
One thought based on a bunch of nights in a tent in Griz country. Wear your holstered pistol in the sleeping bag. If things go south during the night, due to a bear, you will likely be moving and it would be nice to be moving with your handgun, as opposed to trying to find it in the chaos.

I leave the holster and belt over the top, as opposed to thru belt loops, so I can position it for comfort. My wife does the same.
This is why we keep you around the forum, because you're bear smart.

JodyH
01-05-2016, 10:00 PM
Okay, full stop. My favorite shop just got a MK23 in.
Would they take three VP9's in trade?

LSP972
01-05-2016, 10:01 PM

Well, its definitely sleeker than a USPf .45. But the difference between the P2000 and USPc 9mm/.40, while measurable, just isn't that much IMO. Its actually the tapered slide, because both pistols are exactly the same width when measured across the slide stop levers. I have both, have carried both, and in fact have been carrying a USPc in Euro-Pellet for the past month. To me, the USPc "small" grip (9mm/.40: the .45 is a bit larger) is best of the HK line… for MY hand. That, along with the substantially reduced reset, means I prefer the USPc hands down. I have three of them, two in 9mm and one in .40. All three have the HK45C mag release lever- highly recommended- and the two 9mms have the yellow/green HDs.

I think you'll like it, Jody. As of two weeks ago, CDNN had 13 round finger rest magazines for $25 each plus shipping. Just FYI…

Speaking of magazines, I bought a couple of those XGrip spacers, to fit the P30 magazine to the USPc. It fits nicely, but won't stay in place when carried upside down in a waist pouch; it slips down the tube, getting farther down as the day progresses. No glue that I know of will hold that polymer/plastic blend, so I scavenged two tiny screws from my radio control model airplane junk box and secured it. Works well.

Casual Friday
01-05-2016, 10:02 PM
There's a USP Compact 9mm here local for $450. Night sights are dead (not a big deal) and he says it's DAO but he's not sure if it's a LEM or not. I got second dibs on it and will know Friday whether or not the first guy is gonna buy it or not.

GJM
01-05-2016, 10:04 PM
Can't you get quite a bit higher on the P2000 than the USP C?

Dagga Boy
01-05-2016, 10:05 PM

Being the sell every VP9 the get in quickly......yes.....stop with your ideas.

JodyH
01-05-2016, 10:07 PM
I think you'll like it, Jody. As of two weeks ago, CDNN had 13 round finger rest magazines for $25 each plus shipping. Just FYI…
I'm up to 30 or 31 P2000/USPc 13 round magazines, six 18 round magazines (TF +5's), a couple 20 round mags (P30 mags with TF +5's), as well as a 28 round HK-Parts magazine... so I think I might be good on mags.
:cool:

LSP972
01-05-2016, 10:09 PM

I suppose that depends on one's hand. All I know is, I shoot the USPc faster and more accurately, entirely due to the "better feeling" grip and shorter reset. And I have shot both enough to be sure.

JodyH
01-05-2016, 10:12 PM
Lining them up slide rail to slide rail, yes the P2000 allows you to get about 1/8" higher grip.
But when I handle them back to back it's not that noticeable, maybe because I've been shooting the 45C a lot lately and it's "top heavy" compared to the P2000 and I'm used to seeing more slide above my hand.

LSP972
01-05-2016, 10:12 PM
I'm up to 30 or 31 P2000/USPc 13 round magazines, six 18 round magazines (TF +5's), a couple 20 round mags (P30 mags with TF +5's), as well as a 28 round HK-Parts magazine... so I think I might be good on mags.
:cool:

Figured as much, but I would be remiss if I didn't mention it. While I want some extensions, I'm not too impressed with those Taylor Freelance jobs. HKParts.net has some intriguing +3 and +4 extensions, but I haven't been able to find anyone I trust who has seen/tried them.

Lyonsgrid
01-05-2016, 10:14 PM
Okay, full stop. My favorite shop just got a MK23 in. It took everything in my power to walk out today without buying it, so just stop it! No more Mk23 talk. The fact that it is one of the most accurate and reliable pistols ever made and built around +P .45 is irrelevant and I am going to ignore those facts. I will keep telling myself they are a non ergonomic pig....even though it is an easy to shoot non-ergonomic pig. Nah Nah Nah....I cannot hear you.

Mike from Breaking Bad approved! :cool:

GJM
01-05-2016, 10:15 PM
I suppose that depends on one's hand. All I know is, I shoot the USPc faster and more accurately, entirely due to the "better feeling" grip and shorter reset. And I have shot both enough to be sure.

Sounds like a good choice for you! I have multiples of each, and elected to carry the P2000 in .40, despite toting a USP FS .45 in the field. One reason, was the HD sights hit tip of the sight on the P2000, and below drive the dot on the Compact. High class problem picking between them.

JodyH
01-05-2016, 10:16 PM
Figured as much, but I would be remiss if I didn't mention it. While I want some extensions, I'm not too impressed with those Taylor Freelance jobs. HKParts.net has some intriguing +3 and +4 extensions, but I haven't been able to find anyone I trust who has seen/tried them.

I've shot the crap out of the TF +5's in 3-gun and USPSA and recommend them without hesitation.
I even trust them on my nightstand pistol, my HK45 will have a TF +3 mag inserted (but only loaded to 12 because 13 is tight).

GJM
01-05-2016, 10:17 PM
As long as we are drilling down into minutia, how much shorter is the barrel on the Compact than P2000?

JodyH
01-05-2016, 10:18 PM
High class problem picking between them.
First world problems.
I better check my privilege... yup it's still intact, maybe a quart low.

JodyH
01-05-2016, 10:20 PM
As long as we are drilling down into minutia, how much shorter is the barrel on the Compact than P2000?
Not even 1/10" of an inch, 0.08" to be exact.

LSP972
01-05-2016, 10:26 PM
There's a USP Compact 9mm here local for $450. Night sights are dead (not a big deal) and he says it's DAO but he's not sure if it's a LEM or not. I got second dibs on it and will know Friday whether or not the first guy is gonna buy it or not.

Be aware that there are some original V7 USP Compacts out there. By original, I mean the original HK DAO set-up that was truly horrible. There's an easy way to check; pull the trigger, hold it back, cycle the slide, and release the trigger. If the hammer stays flush with the rear of the slide, and the trigger pull is… manly… then that is an original V7. In which case, run away; quickly.

OTOH, if the hammer now protrudes past the rear of the slide a bit, and the trigger has a long, almost effortless take-up to the sear release point, then you have an LEM… which is now called the V7.

Assuming the finish is still decent, $450 is a good price. Invest in a set of sights of your choice, get a few extra magazines, and you have a delightful carry piece… or a simple shooter. But check the date code; if its AD or earlier, then it probably has the old-style firing pin and firing pin block. These have been known to break, and not just from dry-firing as conventional wisdom holds. A pal has several of the original batch of .40 USP Compacts made for the FFDO program (AB date code); one broke its firing pin at 12k+ rounds. He does NO dry firing.

Not trying to scare you off, but you need to be aware. If its an AE or later, you're GTG.

CCT125US
01-05-2016, 11:05 PM

Heck, I do that in Ohio, mainly because a loose gun in a tent with young kids was not my idea of smart. The other option of a locked up gun in a tent seemed glacially slow. JRC CDA II works well.

HCM
01-05-2016, 11:11 PM

My LGS has 2 Mk23's at the moment. I'll ask if you want.

HCM
01-05-2016, 11:14 PM
Be aware that there are some original V7 USP Compacts out there. By original, I mean the original HK DAO set-up that was truly horrible. There's an easy way to check; pull the trigger, hold it back, cycle the slide, and release the trigger. If the hammer stays flush with the rear of the slide, and the trigger pull is… manly… then that is an original V7. In which case, run away; quickly.

OTOH, if the hammer now protrudes past the rear of the slide a bit, and the trigger has a long, almost effortless take-up to the sear release point, then you have an LEM… which is now called the V7.

Assuming the finish is still decent, $450 is a good price. Invest in a set of sights of your choice, get a few extra magazines, and you have a delightful carry piece… or a simple shooter. But check the date code; if its AD or earlier, then it probably has the old-style firing pin and firing pin block. These have been known to break, and not just from dry-firing as conventional wisdom holds. A pal has several of the original batch of .40 USP Compacts made for the FFDO program (AB date code); one broke its firing pin at 12k+ rounds. He does NO dry firing.

Not trying to scare you off, but you need to be aware. If its an AE or later, you're GTG.

I broke a firing pin in one of these at 7k or 8k when this issue was first identified. Swapped out the FP for the new style and drove on.

For $450, it would be worth changing the FP and converting the DAO to LEM.

1slow
01-05-2016, 11:20 PM
I had a MK23 some years back, shot it a bit.

Match accurate, tough as anything made, very mild to shoot.
Huge trigger guard.
Dislikes:
Safety is not in as good a place as USP. I figure it was meant to be carried DA hammer down considering the separate hammer drop lever is in the most convenient spot.
Logistics: parts, holsters , sights, lights etc...

I am told that MK23 mags will work well in USP 45s but that the reverse is not true. The base plate is different MK23 mags will fit USP but not vice versa. Somebody wrote that the feed lips were different as well.
I wish they had done a MK23K, read that it was planned and scrapped.

It puzzles me that people who will carry a N frame 4-6'' bitch about the MK 23's size.

Consiglierie on Lightfighter did a long post about the MK23. Worth reading.

Currently I am happy with USP 45, USP 45 Tactical.

BaiHu
01-05-2016, 11:53 PM
Not even 1/10" of an inch, 0.08" to be exact.
Shifting gears: how do you like the TFX vs HDs?

Leroy
01-06-2016, 05:44 AM
Saw the USP9C in the original post. I have a few questions. Grip wise, is the USPC the same as the USP just shorter? I am currently playing around with a P30L and I do not like the grip or the trigger guard, we are not getting along well. I have really large hands and shoot guns with long front to back (bore direction) and flatter grip sides much better. How does the USPC compare in this area? I have buddy I am going to borrow a USP9 from and do a side by side with the P30L. So if the USP grip is better hopefully the USPC is similar. How about the P2000? Where does that grip fit in? Thanks.

Casual Friday
01-06-2016, 06:18 AM
Yeah I'm only interested in it if it's a LEM. If it's the 47lb DAO I'll pass because by the time you buy the LEM conversion parts I'd be up in the $$ range of just buying one that is already a LEM. Thanks for the heads up on the serial number info.

JodyH
01-06-2016, 07:24 AM
Shifting gears: how do you like the TFX vs HDs?
50/50
The TFX are a bit fat and not for precision, but they shine bright all the time.
The HD are almost as bright most of the time and give a sharper sight picture but they tend to be tall with razor sharp edges on some pistols.
First choice is probably HD unless it's one of the tall sharp versions, then I go TFX or TFX Pro.

JodyH
01-06-2016, 07:29 AM
Saw the USP9C...
Grip wise, is the USPC the same as the USP just shorter?
USPC grip is smaller overall compared to the USP. It's actually a quite small grip, smaller feeling than a Glock 19 to me. The P2000 grip is even slimmer than the USPC.
With really big hands, your best option would be a P2000 or P30 with the large back strap insert.

JHC
01-06-2016, 08:25 AM
USPC grip is smaller overall compared to the USP. It's actually a quite small grip, smaller feeling than a Glock 19 to me. The P2000 grip is even slimmer than the USPC.
With really big hands, your best option would be a P2000 or P30 with the large back strap insert.

Do you like how the squarish USP grip locks in any more than more modern curvy designs?

NCmtnman
01-06-2016, 08:43 AM
In regards to the USPc v. P2000, my thoughts are this: The reset on USPc LEM is significantly shorter than the P2000 LEM and the grip texture is better suited to a dirty environment. As for the P2000, you can easily run a light with no special adapter, and it's dimensions are similar but I tend to think of the P2000 as a USPc with a carry melt. Also, the back strap is able to be changed. Not a deal breaker, but nice if you want to run a larger (rubber) grip. I would have preferred to have shaved off the sharp hump for an in between M/L size. If I had to pick ONE, the P2000 would win it for the ability to carry a WML.

Jody, you can run a .45 Super out of a HK45 but it is just not built for it like the USP platform. Is that correct? I don't shoot the load but read a great deal on it as an option for woods carry. Like you, the ability to shoot while wearing gloves was what enticed me to look at options from HK v. that of Glock.

YVK
01-06-2016, 10:00 AM
Okay, full stop. My favorite shop just got a MK23 in.

Go buy it, JMCK will build you an appendix holster for it.

The bipod that comes with it, if you don't need I'll buy it from you.

Chuck Haggard
01-06-2016, 10:32 AM

All three of my USP45 Match pistols also ran Super ammo just fine, although recoil was stout.

JodyH
01-06-2016, 10:45 AM
Do you like how the squarish USP grip locks in any more than more modern curvy designs?
Yea, I do prefer the USPC/P2000/45C style flat side panels to the palm swell grips on the P30's and Walthers.
For me I get more consistent sight tracking.

JodyH
01-06-2016, 10:49 AM
Jody, you can run a .45 Super out of a HK45 but it is just not built for it like the USP platform. Is that correct?
As far as I can tell the HK series is just a USP in nicer clothes, kind of like the difference between a squirrel and a rat.
I think the internals are pretty much the same.
I wouldn't feed either of them a steady diet of Super, but a 100 round function check and then keep it loaded when in bear country probably wouldn't grenade anything.
The HK45 and 45C eat +P like its candy.
The only problem with the HK45 for a woods gun is the trigger guard is too small for armoured motorcycle glove fingers to fit in.

LSP972
01-06-2016, 10:52 AM

It certainly does for me.

LSP972
01-06-2016, 11:03 AM
In regards to the USPc v. P2000, my thoughts are this: The reset on USPc LEM is significantly shorter than the P2000 LEM and the grip texture is better suited to a dirty environment. As for the P2000, you can easily run a light with no special adapter, and it's dimensions are similar but I tend to think of the P2000 as a USPc with a carry melt. Also, the back strap is able to be changed. Not a deal breaker, but nice if you want to run a larger (rubber) grip. I would have preferred to have shaved off the sharp hump for an in between M/L size. If I had to pick ONE, the P2000 would win it for the ability to carry a WML.

Agree with all the above, except I don't care about a light on my carry gun, because I also EDC a good hand-held light and have a lot of time using same. Don't get me wrong, a WML is superior to hand-held, and my "home defense" pistol has one that doesn't come off of it. But for EDC? What's the favored expression here... too much juice for the squeeze?

Consequently, the improved "feel" and handling (specifically, the shorter reset and the grip) of the USPc makes me favor it over the P2000.

NCmtnman
01-06-2016, 12:37 PM
Agree with all the above, except I don't care about a light on my carry gun, because I also EDC a good hand-held light and have a lot of time using same. Don't get me wrong, a WML is superior to hand-held, and my "home defense" pistol has one that doesn't come off of it. But for EDC? What's the favored expression here... too much juice for the squeeze?

Consequently, the improved "feel" and handling (specifically, the shorter reset and the grip) of the USPc makes me favor it over the P2000.

I also EDC a light and do not run one on my weapon so I agree with your statement. For me, it's not worth the squeeze. I was just thinking in general if I could only have ONE. Thankfully that is not the case.

JodyH
01-06-2016, 01:59 PM
Hit the range for an abbreviated range session.
Weather sucked, when it wasn't raining it was snowing/sleeting.
The only bay that wasn't sloppy mud with 2' snow drifts has asphalt and was 2" under water (that's the one I shot in).
My goal was to test function with JHP's and verify the sights were zeroed.

First up was the 45 Tac, all shooting was with 230gr. HST +P's.
Did 2 magazines of familiarity fire to get a feel for the trigger and recoil. The 45T eats up the +P with about the same felt recoil as my P2000 with +P 9mm.
Chewed a ragged hole out of the upper A on a USPSA target at 10 yards.
Backed up to 15Y and shot another magazine into the head to zero the DBAL-PL laser.
Once the laser had zero I put up a 2" dot sticker and put 10 rounds into it at 15Y at a good pace using the laser, it was too easy.
Now it was time to check the sights out to 50Y so I started walk back drill from 25Y. I shot 5 rounds at a 8" steel in 5Y increments.
I made it to the 50Y line with only 2 misses out of 30 rounds from 25Y to 50Y.
I finished out the next 30 rounds on Bill Drills from the low ready at 8Y to see how the splits looked. I consistently cranked out .23 splits, the big 45 Tac along with the weight of the DBAL-PL made sight tracking a breeze.
Total was 100 rounds of 230gr. HST +P, zero issues and typical H&K performance.

I then shot the USPC9 with 115gr. Black Hills Tac-XP +P JHP ammo.
2 mags fam fire.
2 mags on 2" dots at 15Y, everything felt great, pulled a few out because my trigger finger was getting freaking cold and I lost my concentration.
Walk back drill on steel from 25-50Y. I went 26 for 30 but chalk it up to the operator wanting some hot coffee.
Bill Drills from low ready, easy .20 splits (which is about .02 faster than my P2000 average).
Total was 100 rounds, zero issues and typical H&K performance.

I hope to get back out there when the sun comes out to do some more shooting with the USPC and see how things go at speed from the holster.
Also plan on doing some more 45 Tac work on multiple target drills and some precision.

JHC
01-06-2016, 07:23 PM
Yea, I do prefer the USPC/P2000/45C style flat side panels to the palm swell grips on the P30's and Walthers.

I've heard that from another HK shooter. GJM heard that from Leatham. Interesting Vis a vis "ergonomics" as often promoted.

ubervic
01-06-2016, 07:46 PM
Interesting re: flat side panel grips vs the more 'ergonomically' designed grips.
Perhaps this helps explain why I never shot the P30 worth a damn relative to the P2000sk....and others.

GJM
01-06-2016, 07:51 PM

I've heard that from another HK shooter. GJM heard that from Leatham. Interesting Vis a vis "ergonomics" as often promoted.

Robbie was referring to the M&P feeling good in the hand but not doing as well in recoil, with the culprit being the rounded, good feeling grips. I also heard Matt Hopkins discussing the PPQ in a podcast, saying that while it felt good in the hand, a G19 tracked much better. I am hoping the new PPS is just round enough to smooth recoil, but not so round as to hurt performance.

I was surprised Jody went HK45 instead of USP, for this same reason.

GJM
01-06-2016, 07:53 PM
As far as I can tell the HK series is just a USP in nicer clothes, kind of like the difference between a squirrel and a rat.
I think the internals are pretty much the same.
I wouldn't feed either of them a steady diet of Super, but a 100 round function check and then keep it loaded when in bear country probably wouldn't grenade anything.
The HK45 and 45C eat +P like its candy.
The only problem with the HK45 for a woods gun is the trigger guard is too small for armoured motorcycle glove fingers to fit in.

I am not an HK expert, but I understood the reason that the USP was fine with Super and the Hk45 not so, was the different, dual recoil system in the USP. Darryl also says a hybrid match LEM in a USP 45 is the best LEM out there.

JodyH
01-06-2016, 08:02 PM
I was surprised Jody went HK45 instead of USP, for this same reason.
Sometimes I let my monkey brain buy things instead of my human brain.
"OOOO shiny!" is a perfectly good reason to buy something.

I can still run just as fast of splits with palm swell grips, it just takes more concentration and steering the front sight, where with slab sided grips the front sight just bounces in place.
Effortless speed vs. working at it.

GJM
01-06-2016, 08:06 PM
Sometimes I let my monkey brain buy things instead of my human brain.
"OOOO shiny!" is a perfectly good reason to buy something.

I can still run just as fast of splits with palm swell grips, it just takes more concentration and steering the front sight, where with slab sided grips the front sight just bounces in place.

I can relate, as SLG just saved me from buying the wrong NF scope for a planned Ruger Precision rifle.

JodyH
01-06-2016, 08:11 PM
I can relate, as SLG just saved me from buying the wrong NF scope for a planned Ruger Precision rifle.
That wasn't the wrong scope to buy, just the wrong rifle to put it on.
See, now you can justify another new scope to put on the Ruger and a new rifle to put under the NF!
I should hold seminars on this stuff.

11B10
01-06-2016, 08:52 PM
Today was a H&K kind of day.
Picked up my OD HK45 Tactical and my USPC9 (both are V7 LEM) from my friendly local FFL.
I have 250 assorted rounds of .45 and 250 rounds of 9mm all ready to hit the range tomorrow.
TruGlo TFX sights already installed on the HK45, orange Trijicon HD's on the USPC9.
The Tactical is also sporting a Steiner DBAL-PL.
Should be a fun day tomorrow.

If all goes according to plan the HK45T will be my new nightstand pistol (replacing a P30L .40) and the USPC might be my new CCW.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160106/452876ffdeb6b67bb0fd186caa6beb57.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160106/20964b0da66d10a1d56ab5a83607e2cb.jpg

First of all - they are frickin HOT guns, my friend! Sorry, Sir - I've never earned your respect - it's just that those are awesome-looking firearms and I got carried away - hence, the apology.

I gotta ask what is probably a real stupid question: Have you used TFX PROS before? I'm asking 'cause I just put them on my P320, but haven't live-fired them yet. I will now attempt to bow out, gracefully.

JodyH
01-06-2016, 08:59 PM
Have you used TFX PROS before?
Yup, I started a thread on the TFX Pros around here somewhere a month or so ago.

Here it is:
https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?17936-TruGlo-TFX-Pro-sights

11B10
01-06-2016, 09:36 PM
Yup, I started a thread on the TFX Pros around here somewhere a month or so ago.

Here it is:
https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?17936-TruGlo-TFX-Pro-sights

Thanks for the link - I'm kinda embarrassed because I found that thread right after I posted. I was in my usual too-fast mode. Hopefully I will learn to dig a bit deeper before I ask another quick question.

Danjojo
01-06-2016, 10:31 PM
The sprinkling of USP love on here the past few months gives me good vibes. :D

What is your preferred LEM set up? I've only ever used V1's.

JodyH
01-06-2016, 10:36 PM
The sprinkling of USP love on here the past few months gives me good vibes. :D

What is your preferred LEM set up? I've only ever used V1's.
Standard "duty" weight triggers.
V2 in the P2000/P30
V7 in the USP/HK45

1slow
01-07-2016, 12:51 AM
I am not an HK expert, but I understood the reason that the USP was fine with Super and the Hk45 not so, was the different, dual recoil system in the USP. Darryl also says a hybrid match LEM in a USP 45 is the best LEM out there.

American Handgunner Tactical Annual 2002 mentioned in an article on HK USP 45 that 6,000 rounds of .45 Super had been fired through A USP with no issues. HK Forum seems of the same opinion. I do not know.

GJM
01-07-2016, 08:05 AM
My pair of USP .45 pistols is set up as variant 3, decocker only. That keeps the manual of arms the same as most of the other pistols I shoot. It also simplifies my draw on the largish USP, as I don't have to grab the butt in such a way to deactivate the thumb safety. I should have made this change immediately, but it came about after a porcupine incident, where the thumb safety came on subconsciously but not off subconsciously.

I posted this last summer, but in the spirit of big bore HK love, here is a FAST shooting Buffalo Bore 230 FMJ-FP Super ammo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jttVrNz8ES0&sns=em

Sent from my iPad

JHC
01-07-2016, 08:41 AM
That Super recoil didn't seem to hamper you much at all!

GJM
01-07-2016, 08:53 AM
That Super recoil didn't seem to hamper you much at all!

It is just the flat side panels, if I had the rounded HK45, the gun would have flown out of my hands. :)

JHC
01-07-2016, 09:00 AM
It is just the flat side panels, if I had the rounded HK45, the gun would have flown out of my hands. :)

I know that's true! The key are the sharp corners the flat sides create!

JodyH
01-07-2016, 10:43 AM
Just for fun:
HK45 Tactical w/DBAL-PL and 11 rounds of 230gr. = 2 lbs. 13 1/4 oz.
USPC9 w/14 rounds of 115gr. = 1 ib. 15 1/4 oz.

Yup that HK45 is a P-I-G pig.

http://youtu.be/ItJwD_Nzo4g

Cincinnatus
01-07-2016, 11:34 AM
Speaking of the Mk23, the Colt Walker of the polymer semi-auto world...
Who wouldn't want to be Josey Wales?
"You gonna draw them horse pistols or whistle dixie?"

1slow
01-10-2016, 12:35 AM
Scottsdale Gun Club had a HK MK 23 Maritime finish $1299 and a HK USPT 45 for $699 both came with 1 12 round mag each.
I've got the MK 23 coming, hard to resist the price, could not swing both and have USPT 45s already. Both fit my hands well. I have big bony hands.

Does anybody make a quality picatinny rail adapter for USP45 ? How about for MK23. I am mounting X400 Surefires that I already have. I have GG&G in hand, fits pistol perfectly but the notch is .030" or so narrower than the Surefire picatinny block. I could get spare blocks and file block to fit or machine the notch.
I am sure I am overlooking something here.

Cincinnatus
01-10-2016, 01:21 AM
Surefire has different adapters for picatinny rails vs "pistol rails"
Write to Surefire and request the other part, they'll probably send it free under their complementary spare parts program.

1slow
01-10-2016, 06:48 PM
I have the two that come with it, one I used on Glocks, the other on Picatinny HK rails (HK45, P30). Are you talking about another variation ?

Cincinnatus
01-10-2016, 08:55 PM
I have the two that come with it, one I used on Glocks, the other on Picatinny HK rails (HK45, P30). Are you talking about another variation ?

You might already have both then. Is one marked U and the other P?

1slow
01-10-2016, 10:14 PM
Yes.
Thought I needed another with a square cross section for the GG&G mount ?

EVP
01-11-2016, 09:57 AM
Timely thread as I have been thinking about a USP 9 compact for AIWB carry for some time now. It may not be the newest or most popular option but hard to argue with all the positive attributes that the USP series bring to the table. It may not be as easy to shoot as a vp9 but seems like a solid choice all the way around.

The only negative I can think of is the rail for people wanting to run a wml on a carry gun or something.

LSP972
01-11-2016, 01:03 PM
The only negative I can think of is the rail for people wanting to run a wml on a carry gun or something.

Yes. And that can be gotten around with some effort. My USPc .40 has been whittled on a bit (you cannot tell unless you're looking for it), and one of my TLR-1s has been hacked on a LOT; and it fits on the pistol very nicely.

No free lunch, of course. It won't stand up to a lot of firing. I did the same thing to a USPf, and extensive firing eventually deformed the dust cover. The problem was, with no transverse slot to "anchor" the WML, recoil will cause it to move rearward.

So, not a viable solution… but it CAN be done for the short term. Personally, I have no use use for a WML on a concealed-carry piece, so it was never an issue for me.

entropy
01-12-2016, 10:28 AM
The USPc does have a few oddities (like that silly teutonic rail) but it is one hell of a design. Well, if you exclude the orignal firing pin that is. My first one (.40 LEM) ate up an honest 50K+ until the armorer finally replaced it. The second is running about only 15K right now. I have a POW that is running about the same. The only other issue (besides 2 original design FPs failing) was a Flat Spring that broke. This caused the weapon to revert to "no preset sear" mode but it still fired with the ungodly full DAO pull. It aint no bullseye gun, but if I had to keep just one pistol...the HK would be it.

Sero Sed Serio
01-13-2016, 01:22 PM
My first one (.40 LEM) ate up an honest 50K+ until the armorer finally replaced it.

Impressive lifespan for a .40. Was it replaced due to malfunctions/breakages/issues, or just as part of a mandated cycle?

entropy
01-13-2016, 05:38 PM
Took it to the armorer for the flat spring issue. They asked me how many rounds I had thru it. They gave me a new one. :o I agree with the lifespan. Most of the rounds thru it were either Speer 165Gr GD or equivolent, no whimpy stuff. First pin broke at about 15K. Second very quickly at maybe an additional 5K. Ran like a charm on the new style third pin until one leg of the flat spring broke. It was getting pretty loose tword the end. I was asked at a qual inspection once if I had used the frame to build a house. I jokingly replied "What...??? Youve never seen a gun thats actually been USED?"

I had a bright idea once of getting a P30 to replace my POW USPc. I picked it up and went eeehu! And immediately set it back down. Yuk.

1slow
01-21-2016, 02:15 AM

The Glock adapter allows for front to back movement on the GG&G adapter and the Picatinny will not fit.

Does anybody know if the Surefire HK USP Picatinny adapter works and keeps zero?

Also for the MK23 which Picatinny adapter is better Rynotek or HK Parts?

WOLFIE
01-21-2016, 10:42 PM
That HK45 with the green frame is a good looking firearm. I bought the black frame HK45 tactical and wish I bought the green frame model. I may buy the green frame model and a green Microtech knife to match. The cool factor would be high.....

1slow
01-26-2016, 12:25 AM
Scottsdale Gun Club had a HK MK 23 Maritime finish $1299 and a HK USPT 45 for $699 both came with 1 12 round mag each.
I've got the MK 23 coming, hard to resist the price, could not swing both and have USPT 45s already. Both fit my hands well. I have big bony hands.

Does anybody make a quality picatinny rail adapter for USP45 ? How about for MK23. I am mounting X400 Surefires that I already have. I have GG&G in hand, fits pistol perfectly but the notch is .030" or so narrower than the Surefire picatinny block. I could get spare blocks and file block to fit or machine the notch.
I am sure I am overlooking something here.

After hearing very mixed reviews of the fit of the Surefire adapter to the USP45 and good reviews on the fit of GG&G adapter I decided to cut. I have not heard of a better adapter.

Options were to cut the mount slot .030'' wider or narrow the picatinny block on the X400. My general rule is to cut the cheaper part. I used a file to remove .030'' material and dial caliper to check dimension and keep it squared up and even. Seems to fit tight. Now I will see if it keeps

zero.

1slow
01-30-2016, 12:49 AM
60 rounds or so kept zero so far. In bright sun even the green laser is not very visible at 25+ yards. But in dimmer light it is good.
Now if I can figure which DG switch will be the closest fit.