Victims:
37% had previous weapons charges
55% had previous drug charges
60% had previous crimes against persons charges

Suspects (when known):
50% had previous weapons charges
60% had previous drug charges
74% had previous crimes against persons charges

121 from 144 due to gunshots (4 causes of death intentionally withheld for investigatory reasons)

Primary reasons for homicide (when known) in order:
Drug related
Argument related (which is often drug/gang related)
Robbery related (which is often actually drug related)
Unknown
Revenge (which is often drug/gang related)
Domestic

The first 3 are the vast majority.

scw2
01-05-2016, 09:00 PM
We don't have the stats for those who survived yet, but as far as homicides:

Victims:
37% had previous weapons charges
55% had previous drug charges
60% had previous crimes against persons charges

Suspects (when known):
50% had previous weapons charges
60% had previous drug charges
74% had previous crimes against persons charges

121 from 144 due to gunshots (4 causes of death intentionally withheld for investigatory reasons)

Drug related
Unknown
Domestic

So what you're saying is Obama should have banned drugs instead. Got it.

All kidding aside, I had suspected that a lot of the crimes like home invasions/homicide would be due to drug and gang involvement, but it sure looks like that percentage is way closer to 100% than I would have guessed. Thanks for sharing!

Wayne Dobbs
01-06-2016, 09:31 AM
Twofer killings: both the victim and actor are POSs. One is dead and the other gets sent to the joint. Urban renewal in action.

LSP552
01-06-2016, 10:31 AM
Thanks BBL,

No real surprises for most of us. Easiest way to protect yourself is with lifestyle choices and avoiding mad women. :D

Kukuforguns
01-07-2016, 04:39 PM
Drug related
Unknown
Domestic

Sorry, but you've got to be wrong. Selling scheduled drugs without the proper permits is illegal in the United States and the DEA (by itself) has an annual budget of $2 billion. Given the law and the resources the United States has devoted to eliminating the presence of illegal narcotics in the United States, there can't be any illegal narcotic drugs present in the United States.[/sarcasm]

Yep. There are 2 drugs wars in our country: (1) the U.S./State/Local governments versus the illegal drug trade; and (2) drug dealers trying to enforce exclusive distribution rights. There also seems to be a correlation between the amount (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/economics/10861170/Drugs-and-prostitution-add-10bn-a-year-to-UK-economy.html) of illegal drugs (http://www.rand.org/pubs/research_briefs/RB9770.html) distributed and the murder rate (http://data.worldbank.org/indicator/VC.IHR.PSRC.P5). Huh.

pablo
01-07-2016, 05:07 PM
Twofer killings: both the victim and actor are POSs. One is dead and the other gets sent to the joint. Urban renewal in action.

When I first started in the janitorial services, I was amazed at the number of murder cases we cleared with the arrest of drug dealers and gang members that would later get no-billed at grand jury for "self defense".

When someone offers the advise to find an attorney that specializes in self defense cases, I think of the guy that specializes in defending murderous dope dealers at the public defenders office.

voodoo_man
01-07-2016, 05:43 PM
Do you have stats for those who did not have any prior contacts with LE or the CJ system and/or that had valid CCW?

BehindBlueI's
01-07-2016, 06:46 PM
Do you have stats for those who did not have any prior contacts with LE or the CJ system and/or that had valid CCW?

For suspect or victim? I can try to dig around and see. As far as victims with no records, several were children or killed in domestics, and a sprinkling of robberies/sexual assaults culminating in a murder. I don't think we keep stats for suspects with a CCW, but anecdotally it's in the single digits, so less than 1%.

voodoo_man
01-07-2016, 06:56 PM
For suspect or victim? I can try to dig around and see. As far as victims with no records, several were children or killed in domestics, and a sprinkling of robberies/sexual assaults culminating in a murder. I don't think we keep stats for suspects with a CCW, but anecdotally it's in the single digits, so less than 1%.

I figured it was less than 1%.

It usually is.

Drug-related percentage is on par with what I've seen, though where I work drug-related homicides are 95% of all homicides, rest are domestics, if we aren't counting vehicles.

John Hearne
01-07-2016, 08:18 PM
Back in the early 90's Gary Kleck had great chapter in Point Blank that debunked waiting periods and the idea that "normal" people commit homicides "in the heat of passion." What he found was the typical murderer was far from normal and had long history of regular disregard for human life.

BehindBlueI's
01-07-2016, 09:00 PM
Back in the early 90's Gary Kleck had great chapter in Point Blank that debunked waiting periods and the idea that "normal" people commit homicides "in the heat of passion." What he found was the typical murderer was far from normal and had long history of regular disregard for human life.

If waiting periods affect anything (and I'm not saying they do, we don't have one so how would I compare?), I'd venture to say it's suicides. I haven't kept stats because I don't care that much, but the only murder I can think of with a new gun was a voluntary murder/suicide (the "murdered" person also left a suicide note, the murdered person was terminally ill and the couple decided to punch out together). I can think of several suicides with newly purchased guns, and a hand full with rental guns, ie go to the range and pop yourself. Every once in while we'll have some one bring their own shell, ask to see a shotgun at a department store or gun shop, and then quickly load it and pop themselves. One guy actually asked the clerk "Do you have a shotgun that holds this shell?" first. Eh, sorry, wandering afield. Point is outside of child abuse murders, it rarely seems to be heat of passion. Suicides seem to be more spur of the moment more often.

John Hearne
01-08-2016, 08:53 AM
If waiting periods affect anything (and I'm not saying they do, we don't have one so how would I compare?), I'd venture to say it's suicides.

IIRC, Kleck addressed that as well. Eliminating one ready method of suicide makes suicidal people choose another method. The world is a dangerous place full of dangerous things, we simply can't eliminate them all.

Hambo
01-08-2016, 07:25 PM
I only recall one suicide by gun in which the dude bought the gun specifically to kill himself. No waiting period because it was a long gun, but he took a few days to get his nerve up and do it. IME experience people who want to kill themselves do just that.

BehindBlueI's
01-08-2016, 07:34 PM
I only recall one suicide by gun in which the dude bought the gun specifically to kill himself. No waiting period because it was a long gun, but he took a few days to get his nerve up and do it. IME experience people who want to kill themselves do just that.

As cops we see the ones who followed through with it. There are some folks who are going to do it no matter what. There are also many folks who, if you can intervene when they are right on the precipice, will back down and get themselves back in order.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=92319314

Hambo
01-08-2016, 07:37 PM

Or BG1 shoots at BG2 who returns fire. Both score hits. BG1 dies on scene. BG2 gets away but his homies dump him at the ER door where he is DOA.