PDA

View Full Version : NY reloads - what do you do with the primary weapon?

DonovanM
10-05-2011, 01:02 PM
The double barreled 45 pocket gun post got me thinking. I don't personally carry a BUG, but just out of curiosity - for those of us who do, what have you practiced to do with your primary weapon?

jetfire
10-05-2011, 02:37 PM
Throw that MFer at the guy. Because it's what they do in movies. And it's fun to practice at IDPA matches...once.

vecdran
10-05-2011, 07:16 PM
Honestly, if I'm screwed enough to be going for a BUG, and the guy is close enough, I'm hucking my gun at him. Should keep him distracted for an extra second or so.

orionz06
10-05-2011, 07:57 PM
I would decide the best way to use my new impact weapon based on range.

DonovanM
10-05-2011, 07:59 PM
You guys have got a point, but I dunno, if a whole bunch-a 125gr projectiles going at 1400fps don't do the trick, I don't think a 2lb object going 100fps is going to fare any better. I think I'd want to keep it to beat them over the head with.

I'm really only asking about just before drawing the BUG though.

Mitchell, Esq.
10-05-2011, 08:03 PM
The double barreled 45 pocket gun post got me thinking. I don't personally carry a BUG, but just out of curiosity - for those of us who do, what have you practiced to do with your primary weapon?

The pocket gun like the on on P-T.com right now is more to me a fight starter than a BUG.

Open the fight with a surprise, seize initiative and move explosively as you access a primary weapon, not transition to a 2 shot derringer.

41magfan
10-06-2011, 01:30 PM
When I was a COP, I carried two additional handguns to my primary sidearm. I didn't really carry either of them as a "New York Reload" while carrying a pistol, as I could reload my primary about as quick as I could draw another gun.

Now back in the days when we carried revolvers - which is the context for the NY Reload to start with - a second gun could be drawn quicker than reloading a revolver with speed-loaders from duty leather .... and not to mention a circumstance of trying to reload a revolver while disabled and/or on your back.

I carried extra guns (accessible to both hands generally) for several reasons;

- In the event my primary gun became inoperable.
- In the event my strong hand was injured or extremely busy doing something else.
- In the event I needed to arm someone else.

To answer your question about what to do with the primary .... well, I really don't know as it would depend on the circumstance. Something tells me that I would intuitively try and retain possession of the primary gun if at all possible - but only if feasible and practical.