PDA

View Full Version : Duty Belt Holder for Estrela

GRV
01-05-2016, 01:31 PM
Feel free to move this to the accessories forum if it makes more sense there.

For the uniformed patrol guys that use the Estrela flashlight, what belt holder are you using?

I PM'ed Chuck about this, but it sounds like he too doesn't have any hard and fast answers for belt carry. Nightreaper is very long overdue to release a holder, with no signs of that happening anytime soon. Chuck mentioned the idea of asking Blade Tech (http://shop.blade-tech.com/tactical-flashlight-pouch-c-81_39_51.html) if they could make one that'd fit the Estrela.

WobblyPossum
01-05-2016, 01:59 PM
I'd be very interested in any answers you get. The soft pouch mine came with is starting to tear at the elastic on one side. I was actually about to post a thread for this question myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

taadski
01-05-2016, 02:57 PM
I have a HSGI Taco rifle mag pouch that sits at about 8 o'clock on my duty belt. It's my dedicated "light pouch". I currently carry a Fury in it bezel down, but it'll fit an assortment of bezels. It also doubles as a rifle magazine carrier (:p). When deploying a carbine, the light goes in a BDU or back pocket and it becomes my primary load location for the rifle since the handheld is now likely going to be a backup light anyway. YMMV.

t

orionz06
01-05-2016, 05:32 PM
I have a HSGI Taco rifle mag pouch that sits at about 8 o'clock on my duty belt. It's my dedicated "light pouch". I currently carry a Fury in it bezel down, but it'll fit an assortment of bezels. It also doubles as a rifle magazine carrier (:p). When deploying a carbine, the light goes in a BDU or back pocket and it becomes my primary load location for the rifle since the handheld is now likely going to be a backup light anyway. YMMV.

t

This has been and will continue to be a suggestion of mine and most are reporting back that it works very well for them. I've never mentioned the carbine use thing but I'll save the thread for future purposes.

I also ordered an Estrella last night so...

tanner
01-05-2016, 09:53 PM
I have a generic basket weave one that fit my old (now backup) Pelican light. FWIW.

kobuksonhwacha
04-13-2016, 08:36 AM

This has been and will continue to be a suggestion of mine and most are reporting back that it works very well for them. I've never mentioned the carbine use thing but I'll save the thread for future purposes.

I also ordered an Estrella last night so...

Are y'all using belt Tacos, something like the Raven Moduloader system, or something else entirely? Also, is the original or LT version better for this application? Love the Estrela, hate the factory pouch for this application.

taadski
04-13-2016, 09:49 AM
Are y'all using belt Tacos, something like the Raven Moduloader system, or something else entirely? Also, is the original or LT version better for this application? Love the Estrela, hate the factory pouch for this application.

I use the original rifle tacos. One in this application and one for my packset. No experience with the new LT ones. The old standard malice clips work well with the 2.25" duty belts as an attachment solution too.

GRV
04-13-2016, 11:15 AM
Anyone have any experiences using the Taco pistol pouch for this? That was the direction I was thinking of, provided I can get my Estrela replaced with a working one.

taadski
04-13-2016, 11:30 AM
Anyone have any experiences using the Taco pistol pouch for this? That was the direction I was thinking of, provided I can get my Estrela replaced with a working one.

You'll be limited to bezel up carry, but the pistol pouches work fine for a 6P sized light body. I just prefer having the lens covered and the rifle pouch adds the additional utility.

GRV
04-13-2016, 12:12 PM
You'll be limited to bezel up carry, but the pistol pouches work fine for a 6P sized light body. I just prefer having the lens covered and the rifle pouch adds the additional utility.

Okay, bezel down was what I was looking for, so I'll go with the rifle pouch.

SLG
04-13-2016, 09:51 PM
IME, the LT tacos are just not as good. Much harder to reinsert stuff. The pistol ones are very difficult to use for flashlights. Haven't tried the rifle taco/light holder yet, and will have to.

Default.mp3
04-13-2016, 11:01 PM
I'm curious if one of the BFG TenSpeed belt pouches would work, e.g., the baton pouch (https://www.blueforcegear.com/baton-belt-pouch).

GRV
04-14-2016, 07:46 AM
IME, the LT tacos are just not as good. Much harder to reinsert stuff. The pistol ones are very difficult to use for flashlights. Haven't tried the rifle taco/light holder yet, and will have to.

Whoa. Thanks for that. You just saved me from buying the wrong ones.

taadski
04-14-2016, 10:02 AM
Mhttp://i388.photobucket.com/albums/oo324/taadski/Mobile%20Uploads/FullSizeRender_zpscoqwozy1.jpg (http://s388.photobucket.com/user/taadski/media/Mobile%20Uploads/FullSizeRender_zpscoqwozy1.jpg.html)

SLG
04-14-2016, 10:11 AM
T,

Why is it all black:-)

that looks pretty good, I had in my mind that there would be lots of dead space in the taco, but obviously not. Does your radio stay just fine in a pursuit without a strap?

Chuck Haggard
04-14-2016, 10:29 AM
Is that the AR mag Taco in the pic with the light in it?

taadski
04-14-2016, 11:13 AM
T,

Why is it all black:-)

that looks pretty good, I had in my mind that there would be lots of dead space in the taco, but obviously not. Does your radio stay just fine in a pursuit without a strap?

I actually consider myself fortunate I get away with it not being basketweave. :-/

The radio is pretty snug in there and does a good job of staying put. You could always flip the shock chord over the antennae too but I've not found that necessary.

Is that the AR mag Taco in the pic with the light in it?

Yessir. Both pictured are.

EDIT- The reason the light might appear to be sitting so high is I keep a couple pair of nitrile gloves in there underneath it.

GRV
04-14-2016, 11:30 AM

Agreed. I was expecting the same. This actually seems like a very attractive solution.

Ditto concerns on the radio, but this even seems worlds ahead of the crappy holders I've seen on people's belts. I bet it holds better/worse with different radios, depending on how much there is for the clips to grab onto.

FWIW, I'm very happy with this holder so far: http://www.amazon.com/Maxpedition-Phone-Radio-Holder-Black/dp/B001DZPBXM/. Very, adjustable, both horizontal and vertical mounting options, let's you get to all the buttons you care about, solid locking strap, MOLLE compatible but works great right on a 2.25" duty belt.

kobuksonhwacha
04-19-2016, 09:40 PM
Just grabbed a Taco for this the other day. I too thought there would be lots of dead space, but it holds the light very snugly. Great solution.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Coyotesfan97
04-19-2016, 09:50 PM
I have a molle single mag Taco on the front of my best for my Estrela.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GRV
04-19-2016, 10:00 PM
For those of you carrying the Estrela lens down, what switch position are you carrying it in? Momentary, strobe, or lockout?

kobuksonhwacha
04-19-2016, 10:41 PM
I have it set on momentary, but in practice, whenever I'm using it I'm fixing it to my hand with the lanyard

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Chuck Haggard
04-20-2016, 06:15 AM
Momentary. I can get everything else quickly if I want it that way.

Coyotesfan97
04-22-2016, 07:18 AM
Momentary

GRV
04-22-2016, 09:16 AM
Do you draw it reverse grip, thumb on button?

Given typical placement of a light on the duty belt (behind hip on support side) it seems slightly awkward to do that with a lens down configuration. Admittedly, I haven't spent much time playing with it yet, but that's what originally motivated me to run lens up.