PDA

View Full Version : Knives in Nevada and Wisconsin

BigT
01-05-2016, 06:03 AM
What are the legalities and norms around knife carry in Nevada especially Las Vegas. Especially for a foreigner. Can I keep a folder in my pocket or will this cause undue issue? Are the blade length limits etc.

Getting ready for SHOT previously I haven't taken a knife with , but I would prefer to have one handy if I can.

Same goes for Wisconsin. Going to be spending the weekend learning what actual cold feels like:)

JHC
01-05-2016, 08:46 AM
Wisconsin used to be relatively liberal in the sense of folders good to go and up to 4" fixed blades no big deal. It has been a couple years since I checked.

olstyn
01-05-2016, 09:33 AM
If you're going to be in the part of WI that borders MN and may come across for some reason, over here, folders are fine, but lots of cities have restrictions on blade length. I carry a Kershaw Leek because at 3", it's the longest blade that doesn't run afoul of any city ordinances that I'm aware of.

Peally
01-05-2016, 10:06 AM
It's a mild winter, I can be outside in a sweatshirt and not die. Come back another year or go to super northern Minnesota for real cold :D

We're pretty open as far as knife laws. No switchblades or gravity knives allowed IIRC, but that's currently being challenged last time I checked. I'm not aware of any state wide length laws but like olstyn said cities like Milwaukee or Madison might have individual local laws (that I guarantee aren't enforced unless you're caught doing something much worse). Unless your folder is the size of a broadsword no one anywhere is going to bat an eye, it's a state full of hunters and outdoors-men.

ST911
01-05-2016, 10:11 AM
http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/USKnife2.pdf

http://www.jsonline.com/news/statepolitics/lawmakers-to-take-step-toward-eliminating-treasurers-post-b99604354z1-337553311.html

Led by GOP lawmakers, the Assembly on a voice vote approved the measure on knives, which comes four years after Republicans passed a law to allow Wisconsinites to carry concealed guns, knives and other weapons with a permit. The measure approved Tuesday would eliminate the need for a permit for any kind of concealed knife, though people couldn't carry the blades if they were prohibited from getting a concealed carry permit.

The law would also prohibit local governments from approving or enforcing rules to regulate knife possession, such as Milwaukee's ban on carrying knives with blades longer than 3 inches. Bernier said she didn't believe that provision in the legislation would prevent local governments from barring knives from being taken into some courthouses — something that is currently the case.

Feedback from WI officers reflects a profound lack of interest in knife enforcement unless the bearer had other issues. Exposed pocket clips abound.

BigT
01-05-2016, 12:40 PM
It's a mild winter, I can be outside in a sweatshirt and not die. Come back another year or go to super northern Minnesota for real cold :D

We're pretty open as far as knife laws. No switchblades or gravity knives allowed IIRC, but that's currently being challenged last time I checked. I'm not aware of any state wide length laws but like olstyn said cities like Milwaukee or Madison might have individual local laws (that I guarantee aren't enforced unless you're caught doing something much worse). Unless your folder is the size of a broadsword no one anywhere is going to bat an eye, it's a state full of hunters and outdoors-men.

the Forecast for Thursday here is 104 degrees F :)

Thanks to everyone on the answers. I would likely bring a 3" folder nothing brutal.

Any ideas on Vegas?

BigT
01-05-2016, 12:44 PM
http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/USKnife2.pdf

http://www.jsonline.com/news/statepolitics/lawmakers-to-take-step-toward-eliminating-treasurers-post-b99604354z1-337553311.html

Feedback from WI officers reflects a profound lack of interest in knife enforcement unless the bearer had other issues. Exposed pocket clips abound.

Excellent thanks.

So as I read it a sub3" folder shouldn't cause any bother in Vegas

Peally
01-05-2016, 12:55 PM
Correct, you shouldn't have an issue in either state.

And ST is correct, no one enforces knife laws here unless you're moving cocaine too. You're constantly surrounded by "concealed" knives on pocket clips as the norm.

HCM
01-05-2016, 04:26 PM
Excellent thanks.

So as I read it a sub3" folder shouldn't cause any bother in Vegas

In most parts of the U.S. Sub 4" folders and exposed pocket clips are normal. The only place I've heard of issues is New York City, which classifying most Spyderco etc type pocket clip knives as "gravity knives".

olstyn
01-05-2016, 06:01 PM
The only place I've heard of issues is New York City, which classifying most Spyderco etc type pocket clip knives as "gravity knives".

That's an "interesting" interpretation of the term. Sounds about right for NYC. I honestly have to wonder why real gravity knives would be banned anyway. Is it also illegal to carry a fixed blade in NYC? On some level that would be faster and more deadlier, or something...

Dagga Boy
01-05-2016, 06:27 PM
That's an "interesting" interpretation of the term. Sounds about right for NYC. I honestly have to wonder why real gravity knives would be banned anyway. Is it also illegal to carry a fixed blade in NYC? On some level that would be faster and more deadlier, or something...

Funny......my understanding is you can carry a fixed blade. NY....it doesn't have to make sense.

olstyn
01-05-2016, 06:37 PM
Funny......my understanding is you can carry a fixed blade. NY....it doesn't have to make sense.

Wait, wait, I think I just figured it out! Fixed blades are ok because they don't make that scary "snick" sound. :)

SLG
01-05-2016, 07:57 PM
Speed is fine, but a good grip is final.

HCM
01-05-2016, 08:19 PM

NYC follows their own interpretation of NY State laws. It's not unique to knives, they don't recognize Handgun permits from the rest of the state either.

ReverendMeat
01-05-2016, 11:03 PM
Don't know about Vegas, but I can tell you that here in Milwaukee, a couple days ago I was patted down by Milwaukee PD (who were great, btw, polite and professional) after a minor traffic accident. I had two fixed blade knives and one folder on me, which didn't cause any issue or comment save for one of the cops saying "I assume you left your gun at home" or something to that effect.

Clay1
01-08-2016, 12:04 PM
Don't know about Vegas, but I can tell you that here in Milwaukee, a couple days ago I was patted down by Milwaukee PD (who were great, btw, polite and professional) after a minor traffic accident. I had two fixed blade knives and one folder on me, which didn't cause any issue or comment save for one of the cops saying "I assume you left your gun at home" or something to that effect.

I have to ask this question. Milwaukee county has a 3" blade requirement or smaller is my understanding. Then the Wis CCW law permits the possession of legal knives. For reference, illegal knives in our state are switch blades (preferred term: automatic knives), butterfly knives, gravity knives and probably some more. With a CCW permit can I carry a longer blade than 3" in Milwaukee?

I'm hoping that one of the blades on you was longer than 3" and you have a CCW permit and you can shed some light on my question.

My most popular everyday carry folder is a Benchmade 710 and it lives in my right front pocket always. This blade is longer than 3"

Thanks

ReverendMeat
01-08-2016, 12:49 PM
I checked the knife laws for the state before I moved, didn't see anything about blade length restrictions but I have no idea about Milwaukee county or city or if the CCL covers anything beyond handguns. I do have the CCL, 2 out of my 3 knives had blades longer than 3", the cops never asked about blade length. It seemed to be a non-issue.

Clay1
01-08-2016, 01:05 PM
To the original op in this thread. I believe that Wis law is different if you have a valid CCW permit vs those who don't have a permit recognized by the state of Wis. Something to keep in mind. I'm not in the legal profession and I'm not giving legal advise, just my perception. Classic cover your ass statement - nothing more.

I checked the knife laws for the state before I moved, didn't see anything about blade length restrictions but I have no idea about Milwaukee county or city or if the CCL covers anything beyond handguns. I do have the CCL, 2 out of my 3 knives had blades longer than 3", the cops never asked about blade length. It seemed to be a non-issue.

Note in the following link that there is no state length requirements but that there are municipal requirements.

Thanks for the quick reply. As stated earlier in the thread here is a link to Wis knife law, scroll down to Wis: http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/USKnife2.pdf

Peally
01-08-2016, 02:31 PM
Yeah our laws have little holes here and there regarding CCW versus non-CCW carry. If he's flying in from SA though I doubt he's going to bother with getting a CCW.

BigT
01-09-2016, 07:16 AM
Yeah obviously I'm not going to have a ccw.

Is the fact that my cool accent :) will immediately make it obvious I'm a foreigner , likely to cause an issues?

VegasHK
01-09-2016, 11:02 AM
Hello Sir. I can assure you in Las Vegas we don't care about a 3-4" folder. Out west, almost every guy carries. Automatics are newly legally permitted. As a 19 year officer of LVMPD, I'm not just guessing. :-)
You will be absolutely fine.

LHS
01-09-2016, 11:53 AM
Hello Sir. I can assure you in Las Vegas we don't care about a 3-4" folder. Out west, almost every guy carries. Automatics are newly legally permitted. As a 19 year officer of LVMPD, I'm not just guessing. :-)

Are small fixed blades still verboten in Vegas? I've gotten spoiled with my clinch pick here in AZ

BigT
01-09-2016, 03:46 PM
Awesome thank you for the info

dookie1481
01-10-2016, 12:45 PM

Interesting, I was told that though they are legal in Clark County now, local ordinances may still prohibit them.

Buckshot
01-11-2016, 08:56 PM
Prepping for the SHOT show myself. I read up on Vegas laws & saw that it said less than 3", so I bought a couple of Kershaw Emerson CQC-2s so I wouldn'y cry if I needed to toss them. The local Gendarmes may be fine with longer blades, but I try not to push the issue, especially in tourista mode far from home.