PDA

View Full Version : New HiTS/Watson "Gamboa"

Dagga Boy
01-03-2016, 10:26 PM
Happy New Year from HiTS. We have a great project with Joe Watson coming together for 2016. It is the latest Watson/HiTS collaboration blade. Joe made Wayne and I a couple special versions with thin blue line liners and F22 Carbon fiber for Christmas using the new blade design.
The latest HiTS knife will be the "Gamboa". The name reflects the design. Gamboa is a town in Panama in the former U.S. Canal Zone. My mother was raised there by her Aunt and Uncle. Her Uncle was a Canal Zone Police Officer who was stationed at the Penitentiary. Along with the prison, the Dredging Division for the Canal is there with all the unique ships used to keep the canal open. There is one road in....it is where the road ends and the wildest of wild rainforest begins. The end of civilization. It is where the Chagres River flows into the canal under a single vehicle wide railway bridge. It is from that bridge that my mom wanted her remains poured into the river (which we did in January 2002). This knife was designed for the end of the road adventures. Something with more utility use than the original HiTS, but with enough of the features of the original HiTS to serve in a protective mode in those out of the way places. Sometimes the end of the road is the rainforest, a place where only bush planes go, or a dark alley on the side of town where civilized people avoid. It is the right size to carry anywhere. It will cut food, make food, or keep you from being food. As usual, Joe Watson hit this one out of the park in turning an idea into a useful tool. Stay Tuned-

GJM
01-03-2016, 10:29 PM
Can't wait for mine.

Dagga Boy
01-03-2016, 10:29 PM
More pictures.

Dagga Boy
01-03-2016, 10:30 PM
And the Thin blue line liners...

Dagga Boy
01-03-2016, 10:34 PM
Can't wait for mine.

GJM was part of the reason for this project. To make a knife better suited to someone with GJM's lifestyle as he is that bush plane and kills his own food kind of guy. There is a mild difference on the blade on GJM's to better suit his needs. We have big hopes for this blade for the future. Here is GJM's that is part of the first batch of beta testing blades.

SeriousStudent
01-03-2016, 10:51 PM
I'm in. Do we buy them from Joe, from Blue Line Gear, or from HiTS?

Please let us know the MSRP, when you have a chance. I had a fellow knife junkie ask me about this blade over dinner tonight.

That's a cool name and history lesson as well.

Dagga Boy
01-03-2016, 11:36 PM
I'm in. Do we buy them from Joe, from Blue Line Gear, or from HiTS?

Please let us know the MSRP, when you have a chance. I had a fellow knife junkie ask me about this blade over dinner tonight.

That's a cool name and history lesson as well.

We are figuring out availability. Should be from the regular dealers, and with our students able to go to the front of the line with Joe or us. Still working this out along with other plans for this blade.

SeriousStudent
01-03-2016, 11:46 PM
Excellent, thanks very much.

Rick_ICT
01-04-2016, 12:57 AM
We are figuring out availability. Should be from the regular dealers, and with our students able to go to the front of the line with Joe or us. Still working this out along with other plans for this blade.

Will you be posting updates in this thread or beginning a new one when you know more?

Savage Hands
01-04-2016, 01:06 AM
That's a good looking knife.

Dagga Boy
01-04-2016, 01:09 AM
Will you be posting updates in this thread or beginning a new one when you know more?

Should do them here as this is really one of the last forums I am active on. HardwiredTacticalShooting and Centex knives Facebook pages should also have good info.

Dagga Boy
01-04-2016, 01:13 AM
That's a good looking knife.

Yes it is. It is based off of one of my favorite blade styles. I have some older knives with a similar grind that I love and it was a chance to incorporate it with the HiTS handle. It also appears a bit more non-threatening compared to the blade on the HiTS that has a more aggressive appearance. I am going to pair mine up with a Spork and have a case made to throw them in for travel to hopefully not raise any eyebrows and go with the high tech utensils look.

Hizzie
01-04-2016, 01:54 AM
I really like it. Dig the coyote handles. I wouldn't feel guilty toting that version around.

Totem Polar
01-04-2016, 02:09 AM
I like it.

tanner
01-04-2016, 02:44 AM
I was fighting temptation right up until the thin blue line part. This is going to cost me money.

DamonL
01-04-2016, 07:42 AM
What is the blade length and will the standard handle be cord wrapped or G10?

Dagga Boy
01-04-2016, 08:21 AM
We are still working on standard features, but this one will likely have G10 scales as the standard.

The knife is about 7 3/4" long with 3 1/2" of that being blade.

Cookie Monster
01-04-2016, 10:16 AM
I think PF should get first crack with a group buy. I am in.

LittleLebowski
01-04-2016, 10:28 AM
That looks really, really good, nyeti.

HCM
01-04-2016, 11:37 AM
I think PF should get first crack with a group buy. I am in.

Ditto.

LSP552
01-04-2016, 12:04 PM
Nice looking blade! Please keep us posted. Looking forward to GJM's general wilderness review.

Wondering Beard
01-04-2016, 12:50 PM
That is a very nice looking blade and I can see just in the geometry what it is capable of doing that the first HiTS had a harder time doing. It looks like the edge geometry is somewhat similar to his kwaiken and mixing your handle with that type of edge was something I thought would make a great all around knife.

I have a couple of questions:

From looking at the photos it's hard to tell, is it a chisel, hollow or saber grind?

What's the reason for the raised "clip" near the point of the knife on the spine?

Is it going to be offered in Joe's "jap wrap"? (it's my favorite)

Whenever it's offered, I'll take at least three immediately :-). Make it be soon, pretty please? Pretty please with a cherry on top?

Cecil Burch
01-04-2016, 01:00 PM
Very nice looking general purpose knife. Watson does exceptional work.

Up1911Fan
01-04-2016, 01:06 PM
Very nice looking general purpose knife. Watson does exceptional work.

Agreed, my cord wrapped Magni Ti is my favorite blade.

Hawk87
01-04-2016, 01:25 PM
That is a really nice looking knife. Interested to see what they sell for.

aboveandbeyond
01-04-2016, 01:50 PM
I'm 100% in. Preferably with his jap wrap and tracker dan style sheath

Is this blade made with 154cm as well?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nycnoob
01-04-2016, 03:10 PM
It also appears a bit more non-threatening compared to the blade on the HiTS that has a more aggressive appearance. I am going to pair mine up with a Spork and have a case made to throw them in for travel to hopefully not raise any eyebrows and go with the high tech utensils look.

Is Watson going to do the spork too? I would be interested in a matching set.

orionz06
01-04-2016, 03:14 PM
Is Watson going to do the spork too? I would be interested in a matching set.

I'd buy a set.

Sent from my Nokia 3310 using an owl

Dagga Boy
01-04-2016, 03:48 PM
We are likely not doing a group buy as Joe has established dealers and commitments to them. Are usual deal is a means for HiTS students to go direct for obvious reasons.

I ll talk to Joe about handles, but current plans on this are G10. It is hollow V ground, not chisel. The raised portion at the tip adds some tip strength and penetration width. It also allows for some minor geometry changes as needed....plus, I just like it and it was the favored profile from an early mentor that worked well with some techniques he taught me.

Mike Pipes
01-04-2016, 04:00 PM
IN LIKE FLYNN

DamonL
01-04-2016, 04:37 PM
So I am looking at the GJM blade picture and the Nyeti blade picture and playing I spy with my little eye. The differences I spot are the GJM blade has a lanyard hole and also the G10 scale. Not sure what else.

Dagga Boy
01-04-2016, 06:35 PM
So I am looking at the GJM blade picture and the Nyeti blade picture and playing I spy with my little eye. The differences I spot are the GJM blade has a lanyard hole and also the G10 scale. Not sure what else.

The grind line goes right into the tip on mine and Wayne's and is more upswept on GJM's. Final versions will likely be very close to GJM's depending on his thoughts with use combined with ours. We have one more going out to a very well respected trainer for his input as well.

Wondering Beard
01-04-2016, 07:22 PM
The raised portion at the tip adds some tip strength and penetration width. It also allows for some minor geometry changes as needed....plus, I just like it and it was the favored profile from an early mentor that worked well with some techniques he taught me.

I can see tip strength and penetration width, it just looked like the added width, being dull, might make penetration somewhat harder than your original HiTS were there is basically uniform minimal friction on the spine side.

When you say "minor geometric changes" do you mean sharpening that clip?

I'd be curious about the techniques your mentor taught you, would you mind sharing them here?

One last question, the jimping near the handle seems "wider" than usual and reaches further up the knife as well, what is the reasoning behind that?

Dagga Boy
01-04-2016, 08:48 PM
I can see tip strength and penetration width, it just looked like the added width, being dull, might make penetration somewhat harder than your original HiTS were there is basically uniform minimal friction on the spine side.

When you say "minor geometric changes" do you mean sharpening that clip?

I'd be curious about the techniques your mentor taught you, would you mind sharing them here?

One last question, the jimping near the handle seems "wider" than usual and reaches further up the knife as well, what is the reasoning behind that?

The design is for cutting first in a utility role using a standard grip. That jumping is to allow the thumb to control the blade when doing fine cutting or to add downward pressure. I really do not want to get into those techniques on a public forum. It is reverse grip based. This knife when switched from a forward grip to reverse grip blade in or blade out totally changes personality, and becomes a very functional defensive blade. Some thinning can be done to the swedge but right now we don't want to get into double edge issues with a blade primarily be done as a utility and travel knife. That swedge also ads some tip strength when used for light prying or if the tip strikes something hard.

Hope this helps.

Dagga Boy
01-04-2016, 08:50 PM
Is he going to update his video with the new knife?:D

When you find out who it is you will need to go into hiding for posting that:cool:

DamonL
01-04-2016, 09:57 PM
The grind line goes right into the tip on mine and Wayne's and is more upswept on GJM's. Final versions will likely be very close to GJM's depending on his thoughts with use combined with ours. We have one more going out to a very well respected trainer for his input as well.

And that makes sense because GJM wants to skin some game. Thanks for the insight.

Savage Hands
01-04-2016, 10:23 PM
What material is the blade?

Dagga Boy
01-04-2016, 10:28 PM
What material is the blade?

CPM154 on the first batch.

Whiskey_Bravo
01-05-2016, 05:30 PM
My original Hits Ti knife has become a treasured tool. Carried every night on duty on a neck lanyard under my exterior carrier.

I was waiting to purchase a Magni with Tracker Dan sheath for carry/use off duty as an EDC fixed blade. I love this new design and will definitely hold out and wait for one!!! Looks like a very useful profile and you have to love the heart and soul behind the design.

Please keep us updated as to when they will be available. Would love a thin blue line patterned one or a coyote G10 version like GJM's. A Tracker Dan sheath would also be preferable is available.

You guys and Joe are really knocking it out of the park lately

Dagga Boy
01-05-2016, 06:25 PM
My original Hits Ti knife has become a treasured tool. Carried every night on duty on a neck lanyard under my exterior carrier.

I was waiting to purchase a Magni with Tracker Dan sheath for carry/use off duty as an EDC fixed blade. I love this new design and will definitely hold out and wait for one!!! Looks like a very useful profile and you have to love the heart and soul behind the design.

Please keep us updated as to when they will be available. Would love a thin blue line patterned one or a coyote G10 version like GJM's. A Tracker Dan sheath would also be preferable is available.

You guys and Joe are really knocking it out of the park lately

Thanks, I could not be happier working with Joe. We already discussed a tracker Dan sheath option on the custom blades. I will also talk to Joe about the thin blue line as an option as well for LE folks. Often things I think are easy involve a lot of extra work that translates to real dollars to Joe.

nyeti, are you going to have it with you in LV in a couple of weeks?

Most definitely. SHOT will really be its sort of debut.

Sigfan26
01-05-2016, 06:38 PM
I'm REALLY digging that point design! It reminds me of the Osborne point, but much more rugged. Interested to hear when I can buy one!

Wondering Beard
01-06-2016, 02:57 PM
The design is for cutting first in a utility role using a standard grip. That jumping is to allow the thumb to control the blade when doing fine cutting or to add downward pressure. I really do not want to get into those techniques on a public forum. It is reverse grip based. This knife when switched from a forward grip to reverse grip blade in or blade out totally changes personality, and becomes a very functional defensive blade. Some thinning can be done to the swedge but right now we don't want to get into double edge issues with a blade primarily be done as a utility and travel knife. That swedge also ads some tip strength when used for light prying or if the tip strikes something hard.

Hope this helps.

It does and I can see what you mean about reverse grip, I guess I'll understand it better when I have one, or more, in my hot little hands :-)

About the jimping, I understood the purpose but I was just wondering why you guys went with that broader and longer jimping compared to the one on the HiTS which is narrower (perhaps 'grippier'?) and shorter.

This just occurred to me: there seems to quite a bit of CQC8 blade geometry influence here, isn't there?

Dagga Boy
01-06-2016, 03:18 PM
It does and I can see what you mean about reverse grip, I guess I'll understand it better when I have one, or more, in my hot little hands :-)

About the jimping, I understood the purpose but I was just wondering why you guys went with that broader and longer jimping compared to the one on the HiTS which is narrower (perhaps 'grippier'?) and shorter.

This just occurred to me: there seems to quite a bit of CQC8 blade geometry influence here, isn't there?

The CQC8 is by far my favorite Emerson. With that said, I have a custom knife done for me by a very traditional Japanese maker that predates the CQC8 (and I had several of the very first 8's) with the same style of blade. So...yes, it is a similar grind, a grind I love, but not a copy of an 8 but does use the same style.

I am not sure what Joe is going to do with the jimping down the road. Keep in mind, the first five of these are essentially prototypes. Joe will likely run a fairly large number of these (by custom standards) once we finalize thoughts based on the prototypes. We also need to figure out who is getting what between the dealers and HiTS. We will try to make everyone happy.....rarely works but it is the goal.

Dagga Boy
01-06-2016, 03:22 PM
Joe just posted on his Facebook page as well. Good photo of GJM's knife.
https://www.facebook.com/centexbladeworks

Wondering Beard
01-06-2016, 03:45 PM
The CQC8 is by far my favorite Emerson. With that said, I have a custom knife done for me by a very traditional Japanese maker that predates the CQC8 (and I had several of the very first 8's) with the same style of blade. So...yes, it is a similar grind, a grind I love, but not a copy of an 8 but does use the same style.

I am not sure what Joe is going to do with the jimping down the road. Keep in mind, the first five of these are essentially prototypes. Joe will likely run a fairly large number of these (by custom standards) once we finalize thoughts based on the prototypes. We also need to figure out who is getting what between the dealers and HiTS. We will try to make everyone happy.....rarely works but it is the goal.

I like the CQC8 too (I have a couple) and I think it's one of Emerson's best multi purpose designs, but I didn't think it was a copy of an 8; having a different handle (that handle design is great btw, rapidly becoming my favorite) created different capabilities, bettering the 8 probably for me. I think I'm understanding better the capabilities and purposes of the knife, as well as the thinking behind it; having a similar knife in hand helps figuring this sort of thing out better than just photos.

Just my devalued dos centavos: keep the original HiTS jimping and add the cord wrap. The G10 (which I have on a Watson's Small Bowie and Persian) is a little too slippery for my hands, but that's just me :-)

Whichever way it works out in terms of getting the knife out will be fine, I'll be getting a few no matter what :-)

Wondering Beard
01-06-2016, 03:46 PM
Joe just posted on his Facebook page as well. Good photo of GJM's knife.
https://www.facebook.com/centexbladeworks

Now you just made me count my pennies to get my old Hi Power to Jim Garthwaite.

Dagga Boy
01-06-2016, 04:03 PM
I like the CQC8 too (I have a couple) and I think it's one of Emerson's best multi purpose designs, but I didn't think it was a copy of an 8; having a different handle (that handle design is great btw, rapidly becoming my favorite) created different capabilities, bettering the 8 probably for me. I think I'm understanding better the capabilities and purposes of the knife, as well as the thinking behind it; having a similar knife in hand helps figuring this sort of thing out better than just photos.

Just my devalued dos centavos: keep the original HiTS jimping and add the cord wrap. The G10 (which I have on a Watson's Small Bowie and Persian) is a little too slippery for my hands, but that's just me :-)

Whichever way it works out in terms of getting the knife out will be fine, I'll be getting a few no matter what :-)

Another one of my favorite knives of this type is done by my pal Ken Brock. It is an efficient blade style for the intended purpose. I always worry about the "you copied" accusations. I have had knives I worked on flat knocked off, and it sucks. In this case, we are using a blade I like with a handle I love and spent a lot of time getting right.

A couple of things. We intend to see fairly large numbers of these knives done in various price levels. To do that a couple things came into play. We wanted to use handles that are serviceable and that the user can remove and get underneath. This will be a standard for these. I suggested to Joe some one off higher end custom versions down the road with things like acid etching, stingray and his Japanese style wrap. Keep in mind, when that wrap goes on....it needs to be cutoff with serious powered tools. We want the option on these for coatings, etc. Standard finish will be stonewash. These will be very much a working knife and geared to be fairly under the radar. Handle composition is very personal and job related. For a crisis knife, I want a handle that almost hurts and i can feel my grip. For a knife that you will be doing work with, you want a handle that does not cause any hot spots or discomfort. This one will be sort of in between.

Wondering Beard
01-06-2016, 04:24 PM
Another one of my favorite knives of this type is done by my pal Ken Brock. It is an efficient blade style for the intended purpose. I always worry about the "you copied" accusations. I have had knives I worked on flat knocked off, and it sucks. In this case, we are using a blade I like with a handle I love and spent a lot of time getting right.

"You copied" was the furthest thing from my mind.

I have no experience with Ken Brock knives but I like the photos I've seen. Solid clean purposeful designs.

A couple of things. We intend to see fairly large numbers of these knives done in various price levels. To do that a couple things came into play. We wanted to use handles that are serviceable and that the user can remove and get underneath. This will be a standard for these. I suggested to Joe some one off higher end custom versions down the road with things like acid etching, stingray and his Japanese style wrap. Keep in mind, when that wrap goes on....it needs to be cutoff with serious powered tools. We want the option on these for coatings, etc. Standard finish will be stonewash. These will be very much a working knife and geared to be fairly under the radar. Handle composition is very personal and job related. For a crisis knife, I want a handle that almost hurts and i can feel my grip. For a knife that you will be doing work with, you want a handle that does not cause any hot spots or discomfort. This one will be sort of in between.

Makes sense.

For my uses, which are pretty light work and emergency, the wrap works perfectly and the stone wash finish fits perfectly. I have to say though: stingray and acid etch .. hmmm ... yeah I'll take a couple (a shiny blade finish once got a sketchy dude from getting too close, so I don't mind those) :-)

EM_
01-06-2016, 09:08 PM
This is the sort of knife I've been looking for. I'm not longer into doing high speed things and my blades get used as utility and for hunting more than anything. Still some very valuable possibilities for defensive use I can see in this design as well. I truly hope the thin blue liners will be an option.

Excellent work on this design and the execution.

Dagga Boy
01-06-2016, 09:52 PM
Regarding the liners.....I am trying to come up with a means where people who want to support law enforcement officers can buy the liner option for them. Sort of a "I've got your back" sort of thing where officers see those liners on their knife and know that somebody out there is always supporting them. I think the blue liner option for LEO's would be a nice thing.

GJM
01-07-2016, 03:51 PM
Just arrived!

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg251/GJMandes/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps3f4gie4d.jpeg (http://s250.photobucket.com/user/GJMandes/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps3f4gie4d.jpeg.html)

DamonL
01-08-2016, 09:14 AM
Do you have any initial impressions?

GJM
01-08-2016, 09:25 AM
Do you have any initial impressions?

Yes, that the design and quality of this knife exceeds my knowledge of how to properly use it. My knife knowledge is on par with my pistol gunsmithing ability -- intermediate Glock capable. I am looking forward to giving it a good test thru this coming hunting season in AK.

DamonL
01-08-2016, 10:02 AM
What are your favorite knives that you use during the AK hunting season already?

SLG
01-08-2016, 10:17 AM
What are your favorite knives that you use during the AK hunting season already?

He doesn't know. Ask his wife:-)

taadski
01-08-2016, 11:22 AM

LOL. Troof be told! :D

GJM
01-08-2016, 11:43 AM

LOL. Troof be told! :D

I thought Tom installed software with an anti-troll feature? I want the version that keeps my friends from trolling me, but not vice versa.

While my general level of knive sassy can be summed up as "Spyderco," I actually have three identical Dozier knives I have used for the last 10+ years hunting. Moose hyde is very hard on knives!

Dagga Boy
01-08-2016, 12:11 PM
I thought Tom installed software with an anti-troll feature? I want the version that keeps my friends from trolling me, but not vice versa.

While my general level of knive sassy can be summed up as "Spyderco," I actually have three identical Dozier knives I have used for the last 10+ years hunting. Moose hyde is very hard on knives!

Typical GJM trend. Gets everybody spun up on various LEM, Berretta, DA/SA, Sig, trend and then move on. So I guess the originator of "Buddy Trolling" is not happy with the trend.

GJM
01-08-2016, 12:49 PM
Typical GJM trend. Gets everybody spun up on various LEM, Berretta, DA/SA, Sig, trend and then move on. So I guess the originator of "Buddy Trolling" is not happy with the trend.

Just think, if it weren't for arguing with you about LEM, you would only have about 5,000 likes instead of a million, or whatever you are up to.

Dagga Boy
01-08-2016, 02:01 PM
Just think, if it weren't for arguing with you about LEM, you would only have about 5,000 likes instead of a million, or whatever you are up to.

You do know that when everyone finds out how upset you are that I have more "likes" than you it will only increase my like-ability. I don't have a clue how to even figure out how to see how many "likes" people have, yet you apparently have a "Likes" tracker App on your phone.

Dagga Boy
01-08-2016, 02:20 PM
https://pistol-forum.com/thanks.php

That is hilarious.....the guy who really wants people to not like him is killing the guy who is trying to be student body president....:p

GJM
01-08-2016, 02:31 PM
I am struggling to come up with a smart ass comeback, but nothing so far. Will confer with YVK and try for a response that isn't weak sauce.

taadski
01-08-2016, 02:39 PM
If you had to decide between having more 'likes' on PF or having measurably better 45/70 recoil control, which one would you both choose? :D [runs away...]

Dagga Boy
01-08-2016, 04:34 PM
If you had to decide between having more 'likes' on PF or having measurably better 45/70 recoil control, which one would you both choose? :D [runs away...]

Have you seen the newer video....I think it settles the whole physics thing. Also, I can outlast GJM on time between snacks and meals without totally losing it....benefits of recoil control mass and stored energy.

Dagga Boy
01-08-2016, 04:36 PM
I am struggling to come up with a smart ass comeback, but nothing so far. Will confer with YVK and try for a response that isn't weak sauce.

I "liked" that post for you to help you catch up a little....because I am a giver for those with sensitive feelings about self worth.

DamonL
01-08-2016, 04:44 PM

So I asked a simple question and it became a very entertaining thread. But here is the answer that I seek. Any pics? Thanks.

taadski
01-08-2016, 06:21 PM
I "liked" that post for you to help you catch up a little....because I am a giver for those with sensitive feelings about self worth.

Woooh, a 'sympathy like', that's like a serious diss!

Have you seen the newer video....I think it settles the whole physics thing. Also, I can outlast GJM on time between snacks and meals without totally losing it....benefits of recoil control mass and stored energy.

Oh, I saw it. I think he's still got you on the splits, even with all the movement. :p And noted re the calorie endurance/mood advantage! I suffer from the same ailment. ;)

t

Dagga Boy
01-08-2016, 06:47 PM
Woooh, a 'sympathy like', that's like a serious diss!

Oh, I saw it. I think he's still got you on the splits, even with all the movement. :p And noted re the calorie endurance/mood advantage! I suffer from the same ailment. ;)

t

What you forgot was that GJM "conveniently" video'd his shoes during my first run. Just FYI, you don't really get faster with every run shooting shorty 45-70 at speed. My first run in the "lost" video was really good, and GJM was "really bummed" he messed up the video because it was so good. Sure he was....

taadski
01-09-2016, 01:06 AM
What you forgot was that GJM "conveniently" video'd his shoes during my first run. Just FYI, you don't really get faster with every run shooting shorty 45-70 at speed. My first run in the "lost" video was really good, and GJM was "really bummed" he messed up the video because it was so good. Sure he was....

He said you tanked the first one. (We need an evil smiley emoticon). ;) I wouldn't be too bummed though. George has about the most stable long gun shooting base of any 140 lber I've ever met.

GJM
01-09-2016, 05:48 AM
So I asked a simple question and it became a very entertaining thread. But here is the answer that I seek. Any pics? Thanks.

http://www.dozierknives.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=58

Sent from my iPad

Cecil Burch
02-11-2016, 12:01 PM
I wanted to give this thread a bump.

I was assisting Craig last weekend during his ECQC class and he brought along some goodies. One of them was a really nice Watson knife. It wasn't the Gamboa, but the handle was very similar. Great feel in the hand. Watson does superb work. I have been pretty satisfied with my current blades, but I now covet a Watson.

Excellent stuff. I love finding an artist who does not just nice looking work, but functional work as well.

RMF
02-11-2016, 03:10 PM
I wanted to give this thread a bump.

I was assisting Craig last weekend during his ECQC class and he brought along some goodies. One of them was a really nice Watson knife. It wasn't the Gamboa, but the handle was very similar. Great feel in the hand. Watson does superb work. I have been pretty satisfied with my current blades, but I now covet a Watson.

Excellent stuff. I love finding an artist who does not just nice looking work, but functional work as well.

I agree.. after reading this thread and nyeti's posts about their HiTS collaboration, I had to have one. Just bought a Ti HiTS from Blue Line Gear.

Whiskey_Bravo
03-12-2016, 06:14 PM
DB any updates with this blade? I am in need of another EDC fixed blade and have been holding out for one of these.

Up1911Fan
03-13-2016, 01:13 AM
DB any updates with this blade? I am in need of another EDC fixed blade and have been holding out for one of these.

Should be out soon according to Joe's Facebook page.

Whiskey_Bravo
03-13-2016, 09:53 AM
Should be out soon according to Joe's Facebook page.

My mistake. I didn't see it listed on his website last week when I checked, but it is there now. Signed up for a notification. Looking forward to the chance to get to purchase one.

Wondering Beard
03-13-2016, 04:41 PM
Whenever I try to sign up I get a "404 Page Not Found"

Anyone knows how to get past this?

Palisut
03-29-2016, 02:57 AM
Blue Line Gear has some now. Put my order in.

http://www.bluelinegear.com/product/Watson-Gamboa

Whiskey_Bravo
03-30-2016, 08:36 PM
Hell. Yeah.

Placed an order with Blue Line last night. Received a shipping notice this morning!

1slow
04-08-2016, 12:58 AM
Any chance of CPM3V, PD1 or S7.
Wow does this hold up to abuase vs. DB 1/4'' Strider.

Hizzie
04-08-2016, 04:27 AM

1/4" DB is a sharpened pry bar. No comparison.

Wondering Beard
04-08-2016, 05:37 PM

I imagine he may make some special runs down the line or just change steel when he finds something better. CPM 154 is still excellent steel and I have no complains about it and the Gamboa is meant to do hard work. Moreover, the spine is plenty wide and looks capable of handling plenty of abuse.

Btw, my Gamboa arrived a few days ago and I worried that the grip material was going to be a bit slippery compared to the "jap wrap" he does (I have one of his Small Bowies with G10 grips and they are a bit too smooth) but they are just rough enough to give you a good solid grip no matter what you are doing with the knife. It's a great knife.

Whiskey_Bravo
05-16-2016, 01:37 PM

Dagga Boy
05-16-2016, 10:40 PM

Totally different design parameters. The Gamboa is a utility knife that will function as a weapon and capable of some prying. The DB is a pry are that can be used as a weapon with very little regard given to utility cutting. The Gamboa is a real do everything pretty good knife, where the DB is really designed for urban breaking things use.

I just took a trip and the only fixed blade I took was the Gamboa. It makes a great travel knife.

SeriousStudent
05-16-2016, 11:52 PM
Whiskey_Bravo - is that an SMF or an SNG in your pics? I'm trying to get a sense of scale.

Hizzie
05-17-2016, 12:15 AM
Whiskey_Bravo - is that an SMF or an SNG in your pics? I'm trying to get a sense of scale.

Three screws along spine = SMF.

1slow
05-17-2016, 09:46 AM
Totally different design parameters. The Gamboa is a utility knife that will function as a weapon and capable of some prying. The DB is a pry are that can be used as a weapon with very little regard given to utility cutting. The Gamboa is a real do everything pretty good knife, where the DB is really designed for urban breaking things use.

I just took a trip and the only fixed blade I took was the Gamboa. It makes a great travel knife.

I carry a DB 1/4'' CPM 3V as a tool, and a folding knife to cut. I was looking at a Gamboa as a replacement for the folder. Also I recently bought the Watson HiTS CPM 3V knife and it cuts/penetrates well but may not be as general utility in use or appearance as the Gamboa.

Wondering Beard
05-17-2016, 11:33 AM
I recently bought the Watson HiTS CPM 3V knife and it cuts/penetrates well but may not be as general utility in use or appearance as the Gamboa.

That's exactly my thinking. While I love my HiTS, and it is capable of general utility chores, it's not quite entirely there. When I get back home, I'll start carrying the Gamboa regularly and see how it works; I'm expecting it to do real well.

Hizzie
05-17-2016, 02:39 PM
I don't have a Gamboa yet but SMF vs Original HiTS vs New HiTS sizing.

Whiskey_Bravo
05-17-2016, 03:23 PM
I carry a Ti HITS knife on a neck lanyard at work under my external carrier as an anti personnel weapon. I keep an old school 1/4" DB in my patrol bag because I haven't figured out a decent way to carry it on my person at work yet. Thinking about glueing Velcro to the sheath and trying to strap it into the vest itself.

The Gamboa has become an off duty utilitarian blade for me. I'll try and get some comparison shots this week with the Gamboa, a HITS knife, and the DB.

Also ordered a Magni in a Tracker Dan sheath and should have that this week. It's a sickness I tells 'ya!

Dagga Boy
05-17-2016, 06:36 PM
I carry a Ti HITS knife on a neck lanyard at work under my external carrier as an anti personnel weapon. I keep an old school 1/4" DB in my patrol bag because I haven't figured out a decent way to carry it on my person at work yet. Thinking about glueing Velcro to the sheath and trying to strap it into the vest itself.

The Gamboa has become an off duty utilitarian blade for me. I'll try and get some comparison shots this week with the Gamboa, a HITS knife, and the DB.

Also ordered a Magni in a Tracker Dan sheath and should have that this week. It's a sickness I tells 'ya!

I just tear'd up a little.....damn allergies. I love you in a non-Navy sort of way.

SeriousStudent
05-17-2016, 06:45 PM
Three screws along spine = SMF.

Thank you, kind sir.

Whiskey_Bravo
05-18-2016, 09:38 AM
I just tear'd up a little.....damn allergies. I love you in a non-Navy sort of way.

That's a relief...I get sea sick. Right back 'atcha big cat! Thanks for creating such amazing implements of destruction.

Whiskey_Bravo
05-24-2016, 04:15 PM

As promised, comparison shots of three of my go-to blades. Still don't know why my phone keeps rotating photos when I post them.

GJM
09-03-2016, 10:42 AM
it works:

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg251/GJMandes/P1010603_zpsuv6pil30.jpg (http://s250.photobucket.com/user/GJMandes/media/P1010603_zpsuv6pil30.jpg.html)

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg251/GJMandes/P1010744_zpsczn4u4aw.jpg (http://s250.photobucket.com/user/GJMandes/media/P1010744_zpsczn4u4aw.jpg.html)

Wondering Beard
09-03-2016, 12:46 PM
The more I handle the Gamboa, the more I like it.

Great design Nyeti.

Gamboa shown with different size HiTS for comparison:

SeriousStudent
09-03-2016, 01:39 PM
it works:

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg251/GJMandes/P1010744_zpsczn4u4aw.jpg (http://s250.photobucket.com/user/GJMandes/media/P1010744_zpsczn4u4aw.jpg.html)

Sweet baby Jebus, how fast did you have to run to stab that thing?

You Alaska folks are definitely way tougher than me.

Surf
09-06-2016, 06:17 PM
Hey Nyeti, sent you a PM. Thanks in advance!

Hizzie
09-06-2016, 06:49 PM
Man I gotta pick two of those up.

PNWTO
03-06-2017, 02:52 PM
Is there an ETA, or any info at all, for another production run of these?

PNWTO
03-06-2017, 03:51 PM
Let's use the new @mention feature to see if that'll get DB back in this thread. Dagga Boy, any idea?

:)

Learn something new everyday. Thank you!

CWM11B
06-18-2017, 04:59 PM
I missed an opportunity to buy one off another site's swap meet. I REALLY want one of these with the coyote furniture. Any hope of seeing them again?

JHC
06-18-2017, 05:18 PM
I missed an opportunity to buy one off another site's swap meet. I REALLY want one of these with the coyote furniture. Any hope of seeing them again?

Yeah what about that? The tan one I snapped up last year is headed to AFG soon. Very impressive knife.

Poconnor
06-21-2017, 10:35 AM
We need to do a group buy for Watson knives.

PNWTO
06-21-2017, 03:17 PM

I'd be in. Maybe with orange/black handles? Cough cough Tom_Jones.

ldunnmobile
06-21-2017, 05:20 PM
My favorite knife is HITS Ti Compact. I think it's perfect for EDC.

I'd buy another for a spare.

Up1911Fan
06-23-2017, 01:57 AM
Wish we could do a group buy to get him to do his clinch pick mods again.

SeriousStudent
06-23-2017, 08:24 PM

I'm in. I suspect it would not be a small number of knives that would be required, and I would bet it would require payment in advance.

One of the two Little Birds I got from Joe was because people "ordered" a bunch and then never paid.

I would not want the man to risk taking a loss, he's a good dude.

I am definitely willing to buy at least one, probably two, and would be happy to pay in advance.

Cookie Monster
06-23-2017, 11:15 PM
I am in for a pair of Gamboas or Magni's. Maybe a HITS.

Up1911Fan
06-24-2017, 12:00 AM
I'd be in if we could get trainers with the love blades.

Totem Polar
06-24-2017, 12:31 AM
Following.

Odin Bravo One
06-24-2017, 05:00 AM
Maybe I should be selling my Watson collection!!

SeriousStudent
06-24-2017, 08:50 AM
Maybe I should be selling my Watson collection!!

Waves cash money in the direction of the gentleman doing lots of home renovations.......

Wondering Beard
06-24-2017, 10:57 AM

I'd be in.

Odin Bravo One
06-24-2017, 12:24 PM
Waves cash money in the direction of the gentleman doing lots of home renovations.......

��

Since it won't come thru, that is the emoji of homeboy scratching his chin in contemplation.

Odin Bravo One
06-24-2017, 10:52 PM
Wes just took my steel HiTS......

What are you offering for the Ti HiTS?

Also have a trainer.......

Should probably take this offline, but I'm open to offers given the amount for mkney im spending in the next 30 days. Rich wife only takes me so far in my extravagant tastes for fine firearms accessories and storage

Wondering Beard
06-25-2017, 10:28 AM
Wes just took my steel HiTS......

What are you offering for the Ti HiTS?

Also have a trainer.......

Should probably take this offline, but I'm open to offers given the amount for mkney im spending in the next 30 days. Rich wife only takes me so far in my extravagant tastes for fine firearms accessories and storage

PM sent.

runcible
07-02-2017, 09:29 PM
Group buy of reverse-edged HiTS Compacts? ;)

Wondering Beard
07-03-2017, 12:28 PM
Group buy of reverse-edged HiTS Compacts? ;)

A group buy of what now?

Do you mean this?

https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/19642775_1425230364234835_6757664687411120235_n.jp g?oh=29e951e2eec9b8d53b95519a80a138eb&oe=59CCCAB7

runcible
07-03-2017, 01:22 PM
http://bladebomb.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/Joe-Watson-HiTS-Stealth-Hardwire-Tactical-shooting.jpg

Something like this, with the bottom bevels unsharpened\truncated, and the top bevel sharpened to an edge.

I do like both iterations of his pikal, though. :)

Wondering Beard
07-03-2017, 02:15 PM
I think that's the HiTS Stealth, a variation that Dagga Boy asked Joe Watson to produce. I don't think Watson ever made one with the forward edge unsharpened. I have an example myself and it is a nice small (smaller than the regular and compact HiTS) defender.

If memory serves, Joe Watson only made two types of pikal, one that was sort of a small Disciple and the one I posted which is his sort of upgrade on his previous one (I think he called it his pikal 2.0 at one point but I could be wrong). This last version is a definitely larger knife.

runcible
07-03-2017, 08:00 PM
Pardon for my vague wording; I wasn't meaning to imply that he'd made such a knife in the past, but rather musing that it would be nifty if he did.

For what it's worth, by complete coincidence my third Joe Watson-made pikal was waiting for me when I got home today; I have one of the initial pattern and two of the lattermost.

Wondering Beard
07-04-2017, 10:46 AM
Pardon for my vague wording; I wasn't meaning to imply that he'd made such a knife in the past, but rather musing that it would be nifty if he did.

Aah, I understand now.

For what it's worth, by complete coincidence my third Joe Watson-made pikal was waiting for me when I got home today; I have one of the initial pattern and two of the lattermost.

It seems we're of the same mind. Mine arrived yesterday and like you I have one of the first type and two of the second. :-)

PNWTO
11-13-2017, 07:04 PM
Just going to necrobump this as I would really like a Gamboa.

CWM11B
11-15-2017, 01:07 PM
Me too. Missed out on a GREAT deal on a used one. Now unobtainium. Website is pretty quiet, and I don't do FB, so any one with any info on when another run of these is coming?

EVP
12-07-2017, 12:51 PM
Anyone figure out if a group buy is possible?

Eyesquared
12-07-2017, 07:05 PM
Anyone figure out if a group buy is possible?

Not that I can speak for Joe, but I think people have reneged on group buys from him before, which would probably put a sour taste in anyone's mouth.

SeriousStudent
12-07-2017, 08:12 PM
I believe that is how the Little Birds came onto the public market.

I have two, they are a great little knife.

Dagga Boy
12-07-2017, 09:15 PM
Not that I can speak for Joe, but I think people have reneged on group buys from him before, which would probably put a sour taste in anyone's mouth.

Yep. I am trying to do something for P-F on the Gamboa and it will likely be a HiTS thing.
I have an idea for a special run of Gamboa’s. I am Working on prototypes now.

Whiskey_Bravo
12-08-2017, 09:09 AM
Yep. I am trying to do something for P-F on the Gamboa and it will likely be a HiTS thing.

My credit score just shit itself...

EVP
12-08-2017, 11:52 AM

Awesome I am down!

EVP
12-08-2017, 11:54 AM

No doubt

But I am sure a arrangement could be made were it was trouble free and good for both sides.

Wondering Beard
12-08-2017, 12:29 PM

Looking forward to it.

Cookie Monster
12-08-2017, 12:35 PM
Looking forward to it.

Me too!

masternave
12-08-2017, 12:48 PM
Yess…

WobblyPossum
12-08-2017, 01:09 PM
This might cost me some money. I've never owned a very high quality knife before.

voodoo_man
12-08-2017, 01:50 PM
Depending on a few things I may be in for a PF specific blade.

McD
12-08-2017, 06:06 PM
I am in.

SeriousStudent
12-08-2017, 08:00 PM
Definitely in, as if I even have to mention wanting another Joe Watson knife.

Hizzie
12-08-2017, 08:58 PM
Setting aside cash now.

Qaz98
12-09-2017, 12:21 PM
Word.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

CWM11B
12-10-2017, 05:02 PM
I just want a plain jane version with the coyote handles. And I'd pay up front if I could order one. Same for a group buy. If a PF special is what it has to be, well, I guess that's what I'll be buying.

Dagga Boy
12-10-2017, 11:18 PM
I just want a plain jane version with the coyote handles. And I'd pay up front if I could order one. Same for a group buy. If a PF special is what it has to be, well, I guess that's what I'll be buying.

Hint....you ll be happy..;-)

CWM11B
12-11-2017, 03:57 AM
Well, shut up and take my money!

Cookie Monster
12-11-2017, 09:02 AM
Orange handles? AIWB sheaths? I love and hate PF at the same time.

Poconnor
12-11-2017, 09:48 AM
Let’s make it happen. Maybe only a few choices. The blue line grip would be awesome

Whiskey_Bravo
12-12-2017, 10:30 PM
I would part with my FDE G10 handle version in favor of a chord wrapped version in a Super steel...

Up1911Fan
12-12-2017, 10:55 PM
Trainer option would be great.

CWM11B
03-05-2018, 05:53 PM
Any progress to report? I'm retired, bored, and have cash!

PNWTO
03-05-2018, 08:02 PM
Any progress to report? I'm retired, bored, and have cash!

Not retired, but would buy one ASAP.

Dagga Boy
03-06-2018, 08:24 PM
Haven’t gotten the prototypes of the modified one yet. Bunch of irons in Joe’s fire and we are still going to do it....just takes time.

Erick Gelhaus
03-07-2018, 06:38 AM
Are these ever available for sale anywhere?

PNWTO
03-07-2018, 07:10 PM
Haven’t gotten the prototypes of the modified one yet. Bunch of irons in Joe’s fire and we are still going to do it....just takes time.

Beggars can't be choosers but any hints as to blade steel?

SeriousStudent
03-07-2018, 07:56 PM
Are these ever available for sale anywhere?

You mean the Gamboa, or Joe's knives in general?

Erick Gelhaus
03-12-2018, 12:39 PM
You mean the Gamboa, or Joe's knives in general?

The Gamboa

CWM11B
06-14-2018, 04:17 PM
Kicking the sleeping dog here...still interested @DaggaBoy

Dagga Boy
06-15-2018, 07:45 AM
Just talked to Joe a couple days ago. Things are moving. We will likely see some original HitS knives and Gamboas soon.

Erick Gelhaus
06-15-2018, 08:05 AM
Just talked to Joe a couple days ago. Things are moving. We will likely see some original HitS knives and Gamboas soon.

Yay!

CWM11B
06-15-2018, 05:01 PM
Savagery of my credit card is impending...

CWM11B
07-29-2018, 11:52 AM
Bump for an update?

DamonL
07-30-2018, 07:37 PM
You do know those guys are pretty busy?

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1428517530583027&id=289679681133490&_ft_=top_level_post_id.1428517530583027%3Atl_objid .1428517530583027%3Athrowback_story_fbid.142851753 0583027%3Apage_id.289679681133490%3Aphoto_attachme nts_list.%5B1428513703916743%2C1428513673916746%2C 1428513650583415%2C1428513753916738%5D%3Apage_insi ghts.%7B%22289679681133490%22%3A%7B%22role%22%3A1% 2C%22page_id%22%3A289679681133490%2C%22post_contex t%22%3A%7B%22story_fbid%22%3A1428517530583027%2C%2 2publish_time%22%3A1532046250%2C%22story_name%22%3 A%22EntStatusCreationStory%22%2C%22object_fbtype%2 2%3A266%7D%2C%22actor_id%22%3A289679681133490%2C%2 2psn%22%3A%22EntStatusCreationStory%22%2C%22sl%22% 3A4%2C%22dm%22%3A%7B%22isShare%22%3A0%2C%22origina lPostOwnerID%22%3A0%7D%2C%22targets%22%3A%5B%7B%22 page_id%22%3A289679681133490%2C%22actor_id%22%3A28 9679681133490%2C%22role%22%3A1%2C%22post_id%22%3A1 428517530583027%2C%22share_id%22%3A0%7D%5D%7D%7D&__tn__=-R

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?32139-AAR-Hardwired-Tactical-Shooting-quot-1st-Responder-Pistol-quot-Culpeper-VA-7-14-15-18

CWM11B
07-30-2018, 07:55 PM
Deleted

Poconnor
08-01-2018, 12:35 PM
Bad timing for me. I just burned up my credit card with milt sparks carved holsters and the GAP Bushnell LRHS deal. Looks like I will have to sell some things to get in on this.

DI1
08-13-2018, 07:52 PM
There’s one for sale on bladeforums right now.
Have no affiliation with the seller.

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/joe-watson-gamboa.1603924/

Whiskey_Bravo
08-14-2018, 11:35 AM
Looks like there are still some Archangels and Kidons available on the Watson site. No Gamboas or original HiTS this time around.

Wondering Beard
08-14-2018, 03:25 PM
Looks like there are still some Archangels and Kidons available on the Watson site. No Gamboas or original HiTS this time around.

I've never quite understood the Archangel, but the Kidon is one of the best, if a little large for concealed carry, all around general purpose knives out there.

I snagged a CT-P btw.