PDA

View Full Version : The Doctor is in and scared!

Glenn E. Meyer
01-03-2016, 05:23 PM
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/a-doctors-dilemma-how-to-treat-the-angry/2016/01/01/01ebdfa6-ae4c-11e5-b711-1998289ffcea_story.html

Learn to fight with coffee and staplers. But you can't have coffee in the office anyway. It's a problem - I forget the total number but a larger percent of medical personnel have been assaulted. Solutions - in NYC, a shrink and a shrink coming to save the first were chopped to pieces. Dr. Lee Silverman shot a beginning rampager with a gun he wasn't supposed to have.

Then there is the problem of bad on line reviews. Common now to be treated as trash in the doc's office.

45dotACP
01-03-2016, 05:38 PM
While perhaps not lethally so, a healthcare worker is at very high risk of assault, especially those working in Intensive Care Units or Emergency rooms. My coworkers and I tend to just laugh off angry family members and the occasional death threat...we've been walked to our vehicles by security when Obvious Gang Member is pissed that we turned the vent off for his brother and he starts screaming and saying that we'd better "watch your backs."

Wouldn't mind being allowed, even just a J-frame...but we get to wait for our armed security team. Oh goodie.

Sent from my VS876 using Tapatalk

farscott
01-04-2016, 05:32 AM
At least your hospital has an armed security team. I had to take my wife to the ER on the evening of 30-DEC for a kidney stone. Per state law, firearms are forbidden in hospitals even to those people with permits, so I had nothing but an empty holster. The only security was unarmed and not very observant (sound asleep in the little security office) as I managed to enter and exit the main hospital -- not the ER -- between 3:00AM and 4:00AM on 31-DEC with no one challenging me. I had full access to patient floors, medical staff, etc. and no one ever asked me what I was doing, whom I was visiting, or who I am.

Luckily all is well, and my wife is at home recovering from her procedure used to break up the stone.

Josh Runkle
01-04-2016, 08:52 AM
At least your hospital has an armed security team. I had to take my wife to the ER on the evening of 30-DEC for a kidney stone. Per state law, firearms are forbidden in hospitals even to those people with permits, so I had nothing but an empty holster. The only security was unarmed and not very observant (sound asleep in the little security office) as I managed to enter and exit the main hospital -- not the ER -- between 3:00AM and 4:00AM on 31-DEC with no one challenging me. I had full access to patient floors, medical staff, etc. and no one ever asked me what I was doing, whom I was visiting, or who I am.

Luckily all is well, and my wife is at home recovering from her procedure used to break up the stone.

This is true of many hospitals and even many airports. The goal is usually not "security", but rather, the "perception by society of safety due to the visibility of people and 'countermeasures' claiming to secure an area".

45dotACP
01-04-2016, 09:56 AM
This is true of many hospitals and even many airports. The goal is usually not "security", but rather, the "perception by society of safety due to the visibility of people and 'countermeasures' claiming to secure an area".
Realistically, how do you "secure" something like a hospital? A neonatal, psych or pediatrics unit is the section of the hospital I'd want to be in if shit went down primarily because it is pretty hard sealed...bolted doors, alarms, very specific ID badges and fairly rigorous routines for staff or visitors and (at least where I work) lots of armed dudes. Granted in a psych unit, you're typically at higher risk from inside, but it'd be hard to secure most of the regular floors and securing the ER would be a nightmare.

As a sidenote, I've heard rumors,that my workplace has had armed guards either since sumdood went all murder/suicide with his terminally ill wife on a med surg floor about 14 years back, or just because all the gangbangers we stitch up...but I gather that it's fairly uncommon for most hospitals in Chi-beria

pablo
01-04-2016, 01:45 PM
There's a reason why most prisoner escapes and breakouts happen at hospitals. There's no physical security and the human part of the security equation is lacking in numbers and skill.

Nephrology
01-04-2016, 04:04 PM
While perhaps not lethally so, a healthcare worker is at very high risk of assault, especially those working in Intensive Care Units or Emergency rooms. My coworkers and I tend to just laugh off angry family members and the occasional death threat...we've been walked to our vehicles by security when Obvious Gang Member is pissed that we turned the vent off for his brother and he starts screaming and saying that we'd better "watch your backs."

Wouldn't mind being allowed, even just a J-frame...but we get to wait for our armed security team. Oh goodie.

Sent from my VS876 using Tapatalk

The ED I work in has lots of armed security (2-4 people armed with handguns at all times) and is almost always swarming with sheriff's deputies/police. I quite like it. Nice guys and we've had more than a few patients I have been worried about.

TGS
01-04-2016, 04:19 PM
Realistically, how do you "secure" something like a hospital? A neonatal, psych or pediatrics unit is the section of the hospital I'd want to be in if shit went down primarily because it is pretty hard sealed...bolted doors, alarms, very specific ID badges and fairly rigorous routines for staff or visitors and (at least where I work) lots of armed dudes. Granted in a psych unit, you're typically at higher risk from inside, but it'd be hard to secure most of the regular floors and securing the ER would be a nightmare.

It seems impossible because the hospital management makes it that way. There's really no groundbreaking concept to securing a building, it would just cost money, manpower, and buy-in from management. Some places are good at it.....the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia is super, super well secured. I pulled up in my marked sup truck, in uniform with my ID badge, to pick up equipment from a trauma we took there and I still had security swarm me. Even bringing kids in on scheduled SCTU transports we were watched like thieving Khajit.

Do you guys have prison floors on any of your hospitals? We had a local hospital that had 2 state prison floors for longer term patients. Except for the fact that it was inside a hospital, it was indistinguishable from a prison.

Nephrology
01-04-2016, 05:26 PM
It seems impossible because the hospital management makes it that way. There's really no groundbreaking concept to securing a building, it would just cost money, manpower, and buy-in from management. Some places are good at it.....the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia is super, super well secured. I pulled up in my marked sup truck, in uniform with my ID badge, to pick up equipment from a trauma we took there and I still had security swarm me. Even bringing kids in on scheduled SCTU transports we were watched like thieving Khajit.

Do you guys have prison floors on any of your hospitals? We had a local hospital that had 2 state prison floors for longer term patients. Except for the fact that it was inside a hospital, it was indistinguishable from a prison.

No, we discharge to jail as far as I know. Not sure what happens to inpatients in custody.

Hambo
01-04-2016, 06:58 PM
It seems impossible because the hospital management makes it that way. There's really no groundbreaking concept to securing a building, it would just cost money, manpower, and buy-in from management.

Management won't do it for two reasons: money and appearance. My wife is a nurse and the bullet resistant glass in the registration part of the ER was removed because a big money donor didn't like the look. Better to have employee assaults than look bad.

45dotACP
01-04-2016, 08:48 PM

Makes sense. I totally forgot about my clinical at Lurie Children's. That place was a few steps away from being a fortress...

We don't have a prison unit at any hospital I've worked at. Usually the patient is brought in, handcuffed to the bed and watched by a corrections officer. For long term prisoner care, I think some prisons have what amounts to a nursing home in the prison. Knew a few LPNs who worked in that environment...

Also...."Thieving Khajit" gave me the lulz

TGS
01-04-2016, 08:51 PM
Also...."Thieving Khajit" gave me the lulz

:D