PDA

View Full Version : This Must be Some Kind of CNN Prank! Right?

walker2713
01-03-2016, 04:43 PM
If not, can someone explain this to me??

http://www.cnn.com/2015/12/30/us/unarmed-aviation-officers/

Sign me: Stupefied in Louisiana

Chance
01-03-2016, 05:04 PM
Nauseated, but not surprised.

11B10
01-03-2016, 08:47 PM

Please, this just can't be true. "IF EVACUATION IS NOT POSSIBLE, HIDE?" Where do I sign up for THIS kamikaze squad? Where is the outrage over this?

LSP552
01-03-2016, 09:03 PM
Guns are bad, especially in Chicago, and especially for the police.

disseminator
01-03-2016, 10:40 PM
I wonder if this is part of the "Guardian" mindset? Only Warriors need guns.

Sero Sed Serio
01-03-2016, 11:04 PM
This reminds me of about 15 years ago when Arizona had to draft a law requiring sworn police officers to carry guns on duty after Mesa Community College voted to prohibit its sworn officers from carrying weapons on duty. One of the board of regents members who had previously voted to prohibit officers from carrying guns was quoted as saying "It's just one more gun in an already dangerous world."

The English language hasn't created words for this level of stupidity...

SLG
01-03-2016, 11:51 PM
Kinda makes you wonder who would sign up for that job...

Dagga Boy
01-04-2016, 01:05 AM

Bigger question is why this even a job. Sounds like an overlap of TSA and Chicago PD without much need. The airport in my old place used to have public safety officers that were firemen some days and cops other days. They at least got to carry guns on cop days, even though they were mainly firemen and had a very fire service oriented mindset, and our PD had to do anything really criminal related for them. They were much better off when it was decided this was dumb and they ended up with dedicated police and dedicated firefighters.

Sounds to me like an agency that does not need to exist.

GardoneVT
01-04-2016, 02:18 AM
Bigger question is why this even a job. Sounds like an overlap of TSA and Chicago PD without much need. The airport in my old place used to have public safety officers that were firemen some days and cops other days. They at least got to carry guns on cop days, even though they were mainly firemen and had a very fire service oriented mindset, and our PD had to do anything really criminal related for them. They were much better off when it was decided this was dumb and they ended up with dedicated police and dedicated firefighters.

Sounds to me like an agency that does not need to exist.

Scuttlebutt holds that the core reason was dodging CPD hiring. By creating unarmed "aviation officers", Chicago city bosses avoided adding officers to the CPD roster and thus dodged the associated contractually mandated pay ,benefits, etc.

walker2713
01-04-2016, 06:23 AM

Exactly....how do you find 279 people who will submit to CPD academy training, be sworn as a LEO, and then walk around wearing a star and the word "Police" on your back in a potentially dangerous environment such as a major municipal airport? It is really, really difficult for me to grasp.

SLG
01-04-2016, 08:08 AM
Scuttlebutt holds that the core reason was dodging CPD hiring. By creating unarmed "aviation officers", Chicago city bosses avoided adding officers to the CPD roster and thus dodged the associated contractually mandated pay ,benefits, etc.

That's what I was imagining.

JF1
01-05-2016, 11:32 AM
This isn't a too far fetched look into the future of LE. When you consider the following issues going on, I can see it becoming a more common end run around traditional LE; progressive sentiment of anti-gun anti-military anti-warrior, busy jurisdiction response times are bad causing some neighborhoods to hire private security, hiring agendas by politicians/activists where their candidates can't meet training/hiring standards, cost of personnel (testing/background/academy/fto, salary, health benefits, retirement), and the cost of training LE to the new standard of perfect policing by making the best decisions and use of force when the suspect resists and no one gets hurt. To the bean counters and progressives, it works. To the folks who will get hurt with this model, it will suck.

Peally
01-05-2016, 11:46 AM
Can't fix stupid.

Well, you can, but have you tried hiding a body lately?

GardoneVT
01-05-2016, 12:12 PM
This isn't a too far fetched look into the future of LE. When you consider the following issues going on, I can see it becoming a more common end run around traditional LE; progressive sentiment of anti-gun anti-military anti-warrior, busy jurisdiction response times are bad causing some neighborhoods to hire private security, hiring agendas by politicians/activists where their candidates can't meet training/hiring standards, cost of personnel (testing/background/academy/fto, salary, health benefits, retirement), and the cost of training LE to the new standard of perfect policing by making the best decisions and use of force when the suspect resists and no one gets hurt. To the bean counters and progressives, it works. To the folks who will get hurt with this model, it will suck.

I doubt the public would accept the notion of unarmed law enforcement. Even in megaliberal Chicago , that article is making waves.

I believe you're correct, but it'll take shape similar to what the Air Force does with military police. The officers sign out their duty weapons , rifle and/or pistol as needed, from the armory and at end of shift they sign them back in. If the troops are armed going to and from work (which is illegal on post under most base regs ) it won't be with the company's guns.

Suvorov
01-05-2016, 12:40 PM
Interesting Article.

I'm based in ORD and in the past few years have noticed a lot more of these unarmed airport cops. They have slightly different uniforms and forgive me, but appear to be cut from a different bolt of cloth (very similar to the cloth that goes to making TSA smurfs if you get my meaning) than the gun carrying CPD police officers. Always kind of wondered what their deal was but a lot of the comments seem to make sense. Interestingly enough - Chicago is the only US airport I have seen such "unarmed police" running about in any number.

As far as running and hiding if Haji decides to hit an airport - what else are they really supposed to do? I can't see the city telling them to attack them despite the fact that they won't let them carry guns. Maybe they can throw cans of fancy soda from the Hudson News that exists every 20 meters at the terrorist? As the great 1990s prophet said - "Stupid is as Stupid Does..."

TGS
01-05-2016, 10:03 PM

Anyone looking for a foot in the door, or an easy semi-retirement job, my guess.

Drang
01-12-2016, 11:01 PM

Here's part of your problem:

Matt Brandon, secretary-treasurer of the Service Employees International Union Local 73, which represents the aviation police officers, ...

Drang
01-12-2016, 11:02 PM
Can't fix stupid.

Well, you can, but have you tried hiding a body lately?

It's Chicago, I'm sure they could find someone with experience.

peterb
01-13-2016, 06:51 AM
Anyone looking for a foot in the door, or an easy semi-retirement job, my guess.

The idea of having unarmed cadets or retirees as a supplement to the police in some positions makes sense, but not as replacements for armed police in a high-risk area.

rdtompki
01-13-2016, 08:49 AM
So these unarmed officers perform primarily surveillance and (gasp) profiling?

L-2
01-13-2016, 03:49 PM
So these unarmed officers perform primarily surveillance and (gasp) profiling?
Non-profiling description, "A person wearing a white t-shirt and blue jeans was last seen on foot heading east bound." This will make it easy should we ever no longer be able to use gender, race, or age, for fear of profiling any protected group.

On the topic of the unarmed Chicago airport police, I can't see taking that job although I understand how/why there are folks who did take the job if they need to make ends meet.

john c
01-13-2016, 10:09 PM
It sounds to me like these guys are closer to Community Service Officers. A lot of departments locally have them. They take cold reports, accident reports, write parking cites, and maybe non direct contact tickets, like code violations. What's the problem? In this case, they have CPD backing them up.