PDA

View Full Version : This Open Carry picture is making me see red

LittleLebowski
01-03-2016, 01:59 PM
Words fail me. I would confront the guy over muzzle discipline and using the goddamn safety.

Thanks a lot, asshole. Made the New York times for us while muzzling your son. Ever heard of "reverse sling arms?" Clearly you haven't but it's a an easy way to not muzzle everyone and you can quickly deploy the rifle from it.

NY Times article (http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/02/us/armed-texans-celebrate-states-new-open-carry-status.html?_r=1)

http://static01.nyt.com/images/2016/01/02/us/02texas_web/02texas_web-master675.jpg

hufnagel
01-03-2016, 02:01 PM
http://manybrightdots.com/twg23/pictures/sota/memes/guidette.GIF

what the owner of that rifle deserves.

HCM
01-03-2016, 02:27 PM
The safety is off. Hopefully the rifle is condition 3 chamber empty vs " boogerhook is my safety" .

As Pogo said, "we have met the enemy and he is us."

SLG
01-03-2016, 02:38 PM
I'm really not for more laws or intrusion, but I would love to see this prosecuted as child endangerment.

GardoneVT
01-03-2016, 02:40 PM
The safety is off. Hopefully the rifle is condition 3 chamber empty vs " boogerhook is my safety" .

As Pogo said, "we have met the enemy and he is us."

He's sweeping his own kid with a ready-to-fire weapon.

It would be horrid enough if he'd done that to someone else's child, but dayum.If he did that at my range there'd be a measured discussion about firearms safety, much less at a Subway.

I don't fault the NYT one bit for publishing what they did. One can only imagine what parents and fence sitters think of this basura.

LittleLebowski
01-03-2016, 02:41 PM
Not only is the weapon hard to deploy from that position, it muzzles nearly everyone. WINNING!

Goddamn, I'd lose it on this guy in public.

LittleLebowski
01-03-2016, 02:42 PM
http://s10.postimg.org/bdm5l7xzd/OC_party.jpg

41magfan
01-03-2016, 02:58 PM
A right exercised without responsibility is a bit like intellect exercised without wisdom ...... pointless.

SeriousStudent
01-03-2016, 03:26 PM
I'd like to take a moment to personally thank each and every open-carry advocate who has been handing gasoline and matches to our opponents.

After all, without your attention-whoring, we would have probably had "CLEO shall-sign" and Constitutional carry pass in the last Texas legislative session. But we don't need to concern ourselves with such dangers, due to your ceaseless efforts to make us all look like the mindless cretins you are.

Looking over that photo, the weapon appears to be an SBR - either a Krinkov clone or some sort of modified 5.45 variant. So thanks evah so much for also making us NFA owners look like egregious pinheads, when we are actually some of the most law-abiding folk in the county. Twofer!

My deep personal thanks again for setting back our cause here in Texas, one of the last few bastion red states. I'll try and think of some concrete way to express my appreciation the next time I run into one of you brain donors.

Hey.. .concrete... there's an idea, something to fill that echo chamber above your shoulder blades......

LittleLebowski
01-03-2016, 03:51 PM
He's not the only one. Googling it (in quotes) only brings up rants where people are saying that OC tards should be doing it. Is it like sling arms but with the muzzle pointing down?

Yes but on your weak side. I can't find any videos showing it properly done (right now) but I might shoot a private video if you're interested. It's surprisingly fast yet safe for walking around.

Jac
01-03-2016, 04:18 PM
Yes but on your weak side. I can't find any videos showing it properly done (right now) but I might shoot a private video if you're interested. It's surprisingly fast yet safe for walking around.

Similar to (or same as) African Carry?

Glenn E. Meyer
01-03-2016, 04:24 PM
There is discussion that we are seeing more 30.06 signs now in TX has folks can get a legit 30.06/07 combo. So previously unbanned places are taking out both. If that becomes common because of OC, then - enrage cursing follows. Folks predicted that might happen.

Some idiot posted that he went into Luby's OCing as they had a noncompliant sign. So they called the law and had him tossed. Idiot says if they don't fix the sign, then he will do it again. Read the law - you have been notified - it's more fun if you violate that.

LittleLebowski
01-03-2016, 04:25 PM
http://a.abcnews.go.com/images/US/abc_opencarrytexas_le_140625_16x9_992.jpg

olstyn
01-03-2016, 04:34 PM
There is discussion that we are seeing more 30.06 signs now in TX has folks can get a legit 30.06/07 combo. So previously unbanned places are taking out both. If that becomes common because of OC, then - enrage cursing follows. Folks predicted that might happen.

When MN went shall-issue (OC came at the same time; our permits are permit to carry open or concealed, no permit, can't do either), there were a lot of prohibition signs on businesses. Gradually, businesses started taking them down, and now they're becoming less and less common. It wouldn't surprise me to hear that you experience a similar thing as people realize it's not a "blood in the streets" situation. You'll probably see a spike of signs, followed by people realizing that it's not actually a big deal and the removal of lots of the signs.

Glenn E. Meyer
01-03-2016, 04:43 PM
A gaggle of virgins and dwarves from the mine of Moria.

nycnoob
01-03-2016, 04:47 PM
For discussion purposes this may help

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-dqFPKVfp0oA/T6BjMgqSt0I/AAAAAAAAAGs/7iSa4nHtA-I/s1600/Three+Ways+To+Carry.png

http://www.drillpad.net/Graphics/Fig4-11.gif

JodyH
01-03-2016, 04:49 PM
Yup... OC Texans look exactly the way I thought they would.
Mouth breathing morons who look like they should conceal the refrigerator in their house along with their guns.

Dagga Boy
01-03-2016, 04:51 PM
A gaggle of virgins and dwarves from the mine of Moria.

I was thinking more of the neck beards and man boobs basement dweller gun club.....but same train of thought.

LittleLebowski
01-03-2016, 05:38 PM
Similar to (or same as) African Carry?

Yup. About 1:15 shows it fairly well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wn4kCmmDu4

Totem Polar
01-03-2016, 05:56 PM
I'm really not for more laws or intrusion, but I would love to see this prosecuted as child endangerment.

No effing shit. As is often opined:
"we just need to enforce the laws already on the books."
-everyone

and

"When OC is debunked, only those full of bunk will OC"
-Me

Maple Syrup Actual
01-03-2016, 07:33 PM
I do not like the idea of being in a crowd of unknown people with an exposed firearm that's out of my visual register.

Tamara
01-03-2016, 08:06 PM
http://a.abcnews.go.com/images/US/abc_opencarrytexas_le_140625_16x9_992.jpg

Baby Huey cradling his fruited-up Mosin between his moobs whilst making a pouty come-hither expression just makes that picture.

Also, why is that one cap-'n'-ball toting neckbeard in the background all sad panda?

HCM
01-03-2016, 08:19 PM
O
Baby Huey cradling his fruited-up Mosin between his moobs whilst making a pouty come-hither expression just makes that picture.

Also, why is that one cap-'n'-ball toting neckbeard in the background all sad panda?

My guess is the reason he is sad is the same reason he is toting cap and ball. Cap and ball is not a firearm under TX statutes and sad panda is carrying it because he has some legal impediment to obtaining CHL / LTC.

Tamara
01-03-2016, 08:21 PM
O

My guess is the reason he is sad is the same reason he is toting cap and ball. Cap and ball is not a firearm under TX statutes and sad panda is carrying it because he has some legal impediment to obtaining CHL / LTC.

I think every handgun I can see in that picture is a percussion revolver; that's like the OCT trademark piece for the reason you mentioned. Because that's how they're gonna defend MAH RIGHTS.

JodyH
01-03-2016, 08:24 PM
I think every handgun I can see in that picture is a percussion revolver; that's like the OCT trademark piece for the reason you mentioned. Because that's how they're gonna defend MAH RIGHTS.
Yup, many of OCT are prohibited persons and all they can legally own is black powder.

Lyonsgrid
01-03-2016, 08:32 PM

That right there made me spit my coffee on my laptop.

JodyH
01-03-2016, 08:48 PM
I do believe I see "Snowboots" (far left) and the "Fat Man" (center neckbeard) of Chipolte fame!
It's like seeing Elvis!

Joe in PNG
01-03-2016, 08:50 PM
That photo is making me think we need an official "OC Rally Derp" bingo card. We could include the following:
-dressed up Mosin-Nagants
-dressed up SKS's
-WASR AK's
-Cheap Chinese optics
-*FREE* "Muzzle!" *SPACE*
-Nylon Sausage Sacks
... and so on

HCM
01-03-2016, 09:01 PM
Yup, many of OCT are prohibited persons and all they can legally own is black powder.

Some are prohibited persons, in that they are prohibited from possessing firearms altogether. However, it seems the majority of the OCT people, are not prohibited persons. Rather, it seems the majority of them are legally able to own firearms, but have misdemeanor criminal convictions which prevent them from obtaining a CHL/LTC.

In order to be eligible for a Texas CHL/LTC you cannot have a class A or class B misdemeanor conviction within the past five years. You also cannot have had a juvenile adjudication for a crime which would have been a felony if committed as an adult within the past 10 years.

While I agree " hey look at me" is probably the number one driver for OCT, I believe people looking to get around the Texas CHL/LTC eligibility requirements were a close second. As noted earlier, the irony is ,if they weren't such jackasses we would probably have Constitutional carry taking effect in Texas right now.

GJM
01-03-2016, 09:02 PM
I am not suggesting what should be done about it, but the vast percentage of gun owners have no clue about how to handle a firearm.

Made the mistake of going with my wife to our club for a range session, at a time our range is open to the public. Had to wait 30 minutes for a bay, and got to witness a man "instruct" two women how to use a "combat shotgun." If you were filming a parody, you couldn't have done better. Finally, they get through their box of shot shells, which took for ever as they were filming the process, and presumably uploading to FB.

We pull in the bay with the Taco and are unloading our targets mid to front of the bay. I look back, and this old guy (defined as older than me) is standing in the back of the bay holding a revolver in his hand. I yelled at him "what are you doing?" He replied he thought we were leaving. I told him that regardless of whether we were coming or going he couldn't have a handgun in his hand with us down range. I directed him to put it away, so he grabs a soft case, and muzzles me as he is putting away. I yelled at him to not muzzle me and he had a really hurt look on his face. I really wanted to beat him with a stick.

JodyH
01-03-2016, 09:07 PM
I really wanted to beat him with a stick.
There should be a rolled up newspaper at every shooting station just for these situations.

FOG
01-03-2016, 09:15 PM

Because he's not cool enough to carry a long gun like the rest of his pards and he feels left out??

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

ranger
01-03-2016, 09:45 PM
Muzzle awareness is an issue for many gun owners. I was constantly being "swept" by very experienced competitive shotgun shooters (clay sports not 3 gun) - as far as I know, the clay sports do not have the DQ rules of USPSA-IDPA - and when I spoke up about muzzle safety I got lots of hurt or angry looks. Public ranges are notorious for it. Visit a WMA range and you see it. We all have to spread the word of muzzle safety at every opportunity - I am confident that the members of this forum do that regularly.

olstyn
01-03-2016, 09:46 PM
I told him that regardless of whether we were coming or going he couldn't have a handgun in his hand with us down range. I directed him to put it away, so he grabs a soft case, and muzzles me as he is putting away. I yelled at him to not muzzle me and he had a really hurt look on his face. I really wanted to beat him with a stick.

I had a similar experience once. A member at my range who apparently wasn't too up on his range etiquette/rules gave me a big scare once. It was just him and me there, and I was down range changing my target when I heard a slide close behind me. Let me tell you, there is no louder sound! It turned out he was just putting it away, but you can be sure I had some words with him about how he scared the crap out of me and why it was not ok to do that.

Kyle Reese
01-03-2016, 10:20 PM
Muzzle awareness is an issue for many gun owners. I was constantly being "swept" by very experienced competitive shotgun shooters (clay sports not 3 gun) - as far as I know, the clay sports do not have the DQ rules of USPSA-IDPA - and when I spoke up about muzzle safety I got lots of hurt or angry looks. Public ranges are notorious for it. Visit a WMA range and you see it. We all have to spread the word of muzzle safety at every opportunity - I am confident that the members of this forum do that regularly.

A lot of the Elmer Fudd types have abysmal gun handling skills at skeet and trap ranges, and they look at you like you have three heads if you ask them to not point their scatterguns at your face or torso every 10 seconds. These are the same people who rest the muzzle of their shotguns on their feet, or they use the muzzle end as a sort of crutch to rest on.

xray 99
01-03-2016, 10:32 PM

Let us pray that nude open carry is not their next legislative goal....

Glenn E. Meyer
01-03-2016, 10:39 PM
Interesting nuance. I went to the HEB just now. They had a 30.07 which was language compliant but light gray letters on the glass sliding doors' lower panel. But just now they had a 30.07 with black letters on a white poster on a stand by the door. Very prominent. I wonder if folks are trying to walk in and claiming the sign was apparent. Still seeing reports of places that weren't 30.06 adding legit combo 30.06 / 07 signs.

Tamara
01-03-2016, 11:47 PM
A lot of the Elmer Fudd types gun owners have abysmal gun handling skills at skeet and trap shooting ranges

FIFY.

Dagga Boy
01-03-2016, 11:56 PM
I am not suggesting what should be done about it, but the vast percentage of gun owners have no clue about how to handle a firearm.

Made the mistake of going with my wife to our club for a range session, at a time our range is open to the public. Had to wait 30 minutes for a bay, and got to witness a man "instruct" two women how to use a "combat shotgun." If you were filming a parody, you couldn't have done better. Finally, they get through their box of shot shells, which took for ever as they were filming the process, and presumably uploading to FB.

We pull in the bay with the Taco and are unloading our targets mid to front of the bay. I look back, and this old guy (defined as older than me) is standing in the back of the bay holding a revolver in his hand. I yelled at him "what are you doing?" He replied he thought we were leaving. I told him that regardless of whether we were coming or going he couldn't have a handgun in his hand with us down range. I directed him to put it away, so he grabs a soft case, and muzzles me as he is putting away. I yelled at him to not muzzle me and he had a really hurt look on his face. I really wanted to beat him with a stick.

It wasn't nice to yell at me like that.

The shotgun sports folks are by far the worst I have seen with muzzle issues....because its "unloaded". I avoid public indoor ranges like the plague for trigger finger issues.

RevolverRob
01-04-2016, 12:02 AM
At home, these fucktards are being full-on 100% morons.

Meanwhile - I can't even legally conceal a handgun on my person in Chicago...

Y'all will excuse me, I have some 12-year old Glenlivet that is calling for me to come drown my sorrows.

Cookie Monster
01-04-2016, 12:13 AM
A lot of the Elmer Fudd types have abysmal gun handling skills at skeet and trap ranges, and they look at you like you have three heads if you ask them to not point their scatterguns at your face or torso every 10 seconds. These are the same people who rest the muzzle of their shotguns on their feet, or they use the muzzle end as a sort of crutch to rest on.

I took a Trap Class with a nationally known instructor and everyone in the class got to point the gun at her head as she checked our mount. Most folks except myself and another pistol shooter had their finger on the trigger. No procedure, just close up the gun and point it at my head.

It's crazy shooting trap.

Totem Polar
01-04-2016, 02:07 AM
Going to open public ranges to shoot reminds me of "group projects" in college: if you're the smart one, everyone else is gonna bring you down.

Shotgun
01-05-2016, 06:37 PM

This is one of the funniest posts I have seen in a long while. Moobs, the English use of "whilst," and pouty come-hither nearly made me choke on my drink when I first read this over the weekend on my phone.

Nephrology
01-05-2016, 06:42 PM
That photo is making me think we need an official "OC Rally Derp" bingo card. We could include the following:
-dressed up Mosin-Nagants
-dressed up SKS's
-WASR AK's
-Cheap Chinese optics
-*FREE* "Muzzle!" *SPACE*
-Nylon Sausage Sacks
... and so on

you forgot DPMS AR-15 with a Tasco red dot.

JodyH
01-05-2016, 07:05 PM
That photo is making me think we need an official "OC Rally Derp" bingo card.
Except instead of BINGO! you yell out TAPCO!

Joe in PNG
01-05-2016, 07:30 PM
you forgot DPMS AR-15 with a Tasco red dot.
Make that a DPMS AR-15 with a Tasco red dot and bumpfire stock

Of course some sort of AR/AK pistol with Sig brace may also be present, depending on the state.

11B10
01-05-2016, 07:31 PM
LL - thank you for posting this as I've read all the posts several times. I go through every emotion, every time, the common thread (no pun intended) being the depth of stress it induces in all of us. Some here make me absolutely spray liquids with their humor (thanks, Tam!) and others nearly make me weep as I share their frustrations and fear for the future of our way of life. Although we celebrate the diversity of the human race, we cannot celebrate nor can we endorse the behavior of a clueless cretin who is able to do so much harm with his ignorance. The feeling of frustration this biped and others just like him induce is nearly overwhelming.

Words fail me. I would confront the guy over muzzle discipline and using the goddamn safety.

Thanks a lot, asshole. Made the New York times for us while muzzling your son. Ever heard of "reverse sling arms?" Clearly you haven't but it's a an easy way to not muzzle everyone and you can quickly deploy the rifle from it.

NY Times article (http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/02/us/armed-texans-celebrate-states-new-open-carry-status.html?_r=1)

http://static01.nyt.com/images/2016/01/02/us/02texas_web/02texas_web-master675.jpg