PDA

View Full Version : How can you not have a pocket carry option?

JodyH
01-03-2016, 12:26 PM
We've had about two weeks of "real" winter weather here and the practicality of pocket carry has been driven home even more for me.
My pocket carried Kahr PM9 is far faster into action than anything around my waist when wearing winter clothes, and it's ridiculously fast when you already have your hand inside the pocket (which is completely natural looking in cold weather).
How can you justify not having a pocket carry option, especially during the winter?

Chuck Haggard
01-03-2016, 12:38 PM
Hence why I've always had snubby revolvers in my carry battery.

41magfan
01-03-2016, 12:57 PM
I've been pocket carrying for 37 years and I can't imagine not doing it. If I'm dressed, there's a gun in my pocket and since I routinely carry two "pocket" guns, one of then often spends time temporarily in an outside coat pocket when circumstances warrant the practice. For anyone, but especially civilians, I really can't think of a more inconspicuous way to stage a gun without inviting scrutiny or drawing attention.

And talk about natural; I've had over 50 years of practice keeping my hands in my pockets and I've got plenty of family photos as proof.

MVS
01-03-2016, 01:08 PM
I pretty much despise pocket carry. It is slow into action unless your hand is already on the gun, and it only works with certain pockets. Pants pockets are usually too small while coat pockets are too big. When I worked road patrol one of my back up guns was in my pocket, but uniform trousers were the perfect size for a snubby and I really didn't care about the printing. I pretty much have not had a use for pocket carry since. That being said, I actually agree with Jody's thought. Still I have problems with it. If using it in a coat, what do you do when you take the coat off? Is it in a zipper pocket so it doesn't come out when not wearing the coat? My other huge problem with pocket carry is so many people just put a small gun in their pocket and think they are GTG.

eta. Oh yeah, another issue, my pockets already have stuff in them.

LSP552
01-03-2016, 01:10 PM
Doesn't everyone have a 642/442 for this!

ranger
01-03-2016, 01:11 PM
As I look to retirement location in the future, one of my criteria will be no need for winter coats justifying coat pocket category.

backtrail540
01-03-2016, 01:12 PM
Do you guys recommend different holsters for a j frame in a coat pocket vs a pants pocket or is it still the uncle mikes or nemesis all around?

SAWBONES
01-03-2016, 01:33 PM
Different pocket holsters for different sizes and shapes of pockets, so that the gun is quickly grasped and drawn, but basically the same gun (that is, a J-frame of one flavor or another).

Hambo
01-03-2016, 01:41 PM
The opposite argument is used for pocket carry here: it's too hot in summer to wear a cover garment. Not true, but that's what they say. I carry my real gun IWB but I also carry a small auto in my pants pocket. There are times when it would make sense to have a hand on the pocket gun and if it all goes bad, start with that, then transition to the IWB heater if you need to.

taadski
01-03-2016, 01:41 PM
I pretty much abandoned pocket carry a bunch of years ago due to some of the concerns already mentioned. Unless my hand is already in my pocket, I'm still faster from the waist band, even in a heavy jacket. I also don't like the security (like not having the gun fall out) offered by most exterior jacket pockets that would allow getting to a pistol quickly. And if I'm going back and forth between indoors and out, I don't like having a conundrum of what to do with the gun. I get that it's a super convenient means of having a gun on you, but it just doesn't jive with MY needs in most circumstances. I still have subcompacts and holsters that can fill the role, but I don't find myself reaching for them very often. [shrug]

t

SeriousStudent
01-03-2016, 01:50 PM
I have one of these:

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product4_750001_750051_764932_-1_757787_757787_757787_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y

wearing one of these:

http://picturearchive.gunauction.com/2138213604/4017811/MVC-173F.JPG

filled with these:

http://www.ammunitiondepot.com/CCI-Speer-38-Special-135-Grain-P-Short-Barrel-p/53921.htm

and stuffed into one of these:

https://www.galcogunleather.com/front-pocket-horsehide-holster_8_7_1122.html

It is quick to deploy, powerful yet controllable, and the most accurate pistol I own. The holster is too large for pocket carry with jeans, but perfect for a coat. It lives in my left coat pocket in the winter, and I spend a lot of time doing left hand drills with just one hand. I deliberately seek out classes where I can shoot a J-frame left-handed for the class.

Yeah, I'm a J-frame junkie. I own four, and am buying two more after I finish paying for all these Form 1's and Form 4's.

SamAdams
01-03-2016, 02:17 PM
Yep, I like pocket carry. We've got a pretty good blanket of snow on the ground and overnight temp was - 4 F. (That might be considered 'balmy' in some northern climes, but its not exactly t-shirt weather.) Have a thick bulky jacket on. I often wear Duluth cargo pants and the G26 in a kydex pocket holster works well for me. I wear a good gun belt and was used to carrying a fullsize steel 1911 for many years, so I hardly notice the pocketed G26. YMMV

Beat Trash
01-03-2016, 02:49 PM
The only real reason I still keep a S&W 642 around is that it works very well in the hand warmer pocket of a heavy coat.

Not that I need one this year. While you have been getting snow and cold, I was walking my dog on Christmas day wearing a short sleeve shirt! Not something one expects in my area this time of the year.

TGS
01-03-2016, 03:25 PM
We've had about two weeks of "real" winter weather here and the practicality of pocket carry has been driven home even more for me.
My pocket carried Kahr PM9 is far faster into action than anything around my waist when wearing winter clothes, and it's ridiculously fast when you already have your hand inside the pocket (which is completely natural looking in cold weather).
How can you justify not having a pocket carry option, especially during the winter?

Because it's not authorized by my agency.

Unfortunate, but plain and simple if I want the protections of acting as a LEO.

JustOneGun
01-03-2016, 03:56 PM
For me they were only faster if I considered shooting from inside my coat pocket. Now that I am semi-retired I just don't spend hours in the snow. I go from the truck to the public building. The coat becomes an emergency item for the breakdown and such. It stays in the vehicle. Every building in my neck of the woods is heated against the 0-32 degree temps. So I just wear my normal shirt as always except it is a long-sleeved version. I'm only cold for about ten seconds. Then I'm inside the building.

If you have to be outside for work or play then it starts making more sense. As a LEO I hated wearing a coat. I used the layering idea and had everything tucked in. For CCW I used to tuck everything in but the outer fleece jacket. I could draw just as fast as a tshirt with a bit of practice. This became a problem when going out to eat. Two trips to the bathroom to remove the jacket and untuck the shirt and then reversing the process became a bit much for me. Hence leaving the jacket in the vehicle.

BTW: Shooting from inside the coat pocket reminded me of the Gordon Graham story of the top CHP drug interdiction officer that had such poor officer safety by leaving his hands in his coat pockets during every traffic stop. After yelling at the officer to take his hands out of his coat pockets when a captain was around, the officer took out his hands with a revolver in each. Moral of the story was perceptions can be deceiving. Not sure how true the story is but it did make me laugh. Just imaged the pockets exploding being the last thing the BG saw.

LOKNLOD
01-03-2016, 04:02 PM
I've been toying with the idea of a J frame as a coat pocket gun for a while, but haven't done it yet. I don't see how actual pants pocket carry would work for me except in a rare pinch or two.

deputyG23
01-03-2016, 04:22 PM
Because it's not authorized by my agency.

Unfortunate, but plain and simple if I want the protections of acting as a LEO.
Mine doesn't either. Glocks only, period. Thank God Virginia has shall issue CWP.
I have been living with a 442 as an EDC since being out of work with my back. I couldn't stand anything on my belt until today. Wore a Colt DS for nine hours. May try my off duty G27 tomorrow.

Glenn E. Meyer
01-03-2016, 04:27 PM

642 and a 432! Just got a warmer coat that allows you to reach from your outside pocket into your pants front pocket. Also good for discrete scratching.

The 432 was my Bug today. What a nice light J.

JodyH
01-03-2016, 04:42 PM
Duluth Firehose pants for the win when it comes to pocket carry, fleece lined Firehose pants for the win when it was in the 20's, 35mph winds and snowing.
I use a El Paso Saddlery pocket holster for the PM9 when wearing these pants. The outline of the gun is well hidden by the flap of the thigh pocket which is in the perfect spot to aid concealment and the front pockets are large and deep.

Did some range work today.
Starting with my right hand in my front pocket on the grip of my PM9 (basically my normal winter stance because I don't wear gloves) I was <1 second (usually right around .90) to an A zone hit at 7Y, slowest fumbled draw was 1.2.
Doing the same thing with HK45C AIWB in a Shaggy, my ArcTeryx jacket zipped up, hand position was both hands in my front pockets but thumbs out and under the jacket hem (again, a somewhat natural hand position). A zone at 7Y was consistently in the 1.5 range but did drift into the 2's when the jacket and shirt didn't cooperate and I had to double clutch it.
Unzipped jacket was worse because sweeping the jacket and pulling up the shirt was like a monkey buggering a football, it rarely went right and any wind turned it into a complete mess.

Malamute
01-03-2016, 04:44 PM
Pocket carry works well when wearing a parka and down vest under it. The large lower parka pocket carries a g19 upside down, muzzle rearwards. Spare mags in the other side lower and hand warmer pockets.

Sometimes am wearing larger belt gun under all that, but they aren't very easy to get to quickly.

Carhartts work great for pocket carry also. A j and speedloader in the R pocket, speed strip in watch pocket. Have carried the g19 in the R pocket a few times. Can see the butt if looking straight down into the pocket. if wearing a down vest, it disappears well.

Crusader8207
01-03-2016, 05:00 PM
I've been using the Safariland Model 25 with a J Frame on Yeti's recommendation and find it is a great holster. Since I work a lot in Kaliforistan I need to keep a low profile. My carry will be the 640 Pro in the pocket and the 340PD on the ankle.

Wondering Beard
01-03-2016, 05:31 PM
on Yeti's recommendation and find it is a great holster.

That was autocorrect, right? :eek:

Salamander
01-03-2016, 06:15 PM
I've been trying pocket carry since the revolver roundup in October, and am liking it so far. With a M&P 340 it's very comfortable and unobtrusive. In the office a pants pocket works well, and a transfer to an outside jacket pocket when driving or outside for a while has been pretty simple. I'm still fine-tuning the garment choice, having learned the hard way that pocket size and depth varies considerably from brand to brand... still working on the outer garment, one of my jackets the pocket is a little too big.

I don't need a lot of heavy layers here unless there's a need to be outside all day, typical "winter" weather is 50s with frequent rain, so a light gore-tex jacket over a light fleece is about it. Pocket carry might actually be easier with a heavier coat, I should pull out the old long dark gray wool coat that normally only gets inland big city office use and see how it works... could probably hide almost anything in or under that.

For higher risk situations I'll still strap on the P2000. However pocket carrying the J-frame means I'm more likely to carry pretty much everywhere it's legal, which for me is everything except the post office and (rarely) a few other locations. As always there will be periodic re-evaluation especially whenever my daily routine changes, for now this is working well.

okie john
01-03-2016, 06:46 PM

For me, pocket carry is a niche/last-resort specialty, a lot like a bellyband. I makes me paranoid as hell for some reason, so I avoid it when I can, but I end up doing it maybe 1-2 times a year. I don't own any pants that would work with it, so for me it's coat pocket only. I used to use shrouded-hammer J-frame, but now I use a G43. No holster, and nothing else in the pocket with the handgun--can't have it swimming around with other stuff. And it's in my hand a lot of the time that it's in there.

Okie John

Mike Pipes
01-03-2016, 07:46 PM
Everyday,a 340PD in my right front pants pocket in AHolster kydex. A 640Pro AIWB in a Desantis 36. On each ankle a 642 in Desantis Apache holsters. When it is cool out a mdl 38 in my right pocket of my LL BEAN ranch coat ,no holster.

Tamara
01-03-2016, 08:10 PM

Well, it's a 432PD, actually. :o

Dagga Boy
01-03-2016, 08:26 PM
I've been using the Safariland Model 25 with a J Frame on Yeti's recommendation and find it is a great holster. Since I work a lot in Kaliforistan I need to keep a low profile. My carry will be the 640 Pro in the pocket and the 340PD on the ankle.

Yeti (Steve Fisher, good pal and fellow trainer has longer legs than me;)). Thanks to Duluth Firehouse, I can pocket carry a 640 PRO. I also use a Safariland 27 for IWB with it. The M&P340 is carried daily in a cargo pocket of my pants as a BUG.

Back when I was doing EP work on a contract where I made a lot of contacts with folks, I had Tim Thurner make me a pocket holster for my chore coat to carry a HK P7. I talked to everyone with a hand on a gun, but looked very non-aggressive.

Not a huge fan for primary carry, love it for a BUG role.

BehindBlueI's
01-03-2016, 08:28 PM
Pocket carriers have done very well vs. robbers from what I've seen. Your "timer" doesn't start until the bad guy realizes you are resisting. Slowly going for a pocket gun looks the same as giving up a wallet or car keys if you do it right.

GJM
01-03-2016, 08:29 PM
Buddy is considering a LCR in .327 Federal for pocket carry -- thoughts?

Dagga Boy
01-03-2016, 08:32 PM

Probably as good a choice as any.

Yeti is on the left...Nyeti on the right.

GJM
01-03-2016, 08:34 PM
Quite clever the way you propped up your sunglasses to make you look taller -- even gaming a photo op.

JodyH
01-03-2016, 08:34 PM
.327 Federal is the .357sig of the revolver world.
A lot of expense, noise, flash and recoil but other than that... mehhh.
I find the LCR to shoot really well, but that damn false reset hiccup in the trigger has me skipping cylinders more often than I like.
For a pocket carry revolver I'd get a 442 no lock and call it good myself.

Tamara
01-03-2016, 08:35 PM

I like .32 H&R with 95gr LSWC or 100gr SJHP; heavy-for-caliber bullets that are easier to shoot out of an Airweight than .38 +P and give you one more BB than the .38.

.327 Fed gives up a lot of the shootability edge... I dunno much about terminal ballistics for the newer round.

GJM
01-03-2016, 08:36 PM
.327 Federal is the .357sig of the revolver world.
A lot of expense, noise, flash and recoil but other than that... mehhh.
I find the LCR to shoot really well, but that damn false reset hiccup in the trigger has me skipping cylinders more often than I like.
For a pocket carry revolver I'd get a 442 no lock and call it good myself.

I like .32 H&R with 95gr LSWC or 100gr SJHP; heavy-for-caliber bullets that are easier to shoot out of an Airweight than .38 +P and give you one more BB than the .38.

.327 Fed gives up a lot of the shootability edge... I dunno much about terminal ballistics for the newer round.

He is liking the extra cartridge over .38.

JodyH
01-03-2016, 08:38 PM
If I had $1 for every time I almost bought a 432PD off of Gunbroker I'd have enough of them to pay for the damn thing.

Tamara
01-03-2016, 08:38 PM
He is liking the extra cartridge over .38.

He can load it with .32 Mag...

(Actually, being able to fire .32 S&W, .32 S&W Long, .32 H&R Mag, .327 Federal, and even the semi-rimmed .32 ACP in a pinch makes a .327 awfully omnivorous. o.O )

GJM
01-03-2016, 08:40 PM
He can load it with .32 Mag...

(Actually, being able to fire .32 S&W, .32 S&W Long, .32 H&R Mag, .327 Federal, and even the semi-rimmed .32 ACP in a pinch makes a .327 awfully omnivorous. o.O )

Translate this for a wheel gun noob -- buy what gun and use what ammo?

Tamara
01-03-2016, 08:44 PM
Buy the .327 Fed Mag, either Ruger or Smith, and load it with some heavy-for-caliber .32 H&R Magnum stuff. (In other words, for best results avoid Federal's 85gr JHP load and the anemic Critical Defense stuff from Hornady.)

01-03-2016, 08:57 PM
Pocket carriers have done very well vs. robbers from what I've seen. Your "timer" doesn't start until the bad guy realizes you are resisting. Slowly going for a pocket gun looks the same as giving up a wallet or car keys if you do it right.

This right here.

41magfan
01-03-2016, 09:13 PM

Indeed .... and they will continue to do so based on the principle of action/reaction.

In the early days of the Officer Survival movement, we learned pretty quickly in training scenarios that controlling hand movements was critical to staying ahead of the curve. When confronted with a suspect (or a good guy for sake of argument) with hidden hands, the natural thing to do is to want to see them. The commonly used command of "let me see your hands" or "put your hands where I can see them" invites movement ...... movement (action) that can produce a gun quicker than you can react. There are ways to mitigate this but we won't discuss them here.

As noted, a command by a bad guy to "give me your wallet" (car keys, cell phone, etc.) invites movement that you can use to great benefit if it's already been considered as a potential response.

LSP972
01-03-2016, 09:23 PM
I gotta say, I'm rather surprised at the amount of nay-saying against pocket carry I'm seeing here… VERY surprised, in fact.

41magfan
01-03-2016, 09:27 PM
I'm not surprised in the least .... and I'm at a stage in life where a surprise is actually something to appreciate. :^)

MVS
01-03-2016, 09:35 PM
I gotta say, I'm rather surprised at the amount of nay-saying against pocket carry I'm seeing here… VERY surprised, in fact.

Not so sure it is naysaying. At least in my case it is just saying that it doesn't work out well for me with the exception of when I was in uniform. As a matter of fact, to not be close minded I tried to run my G43 out of my Duluth pants. Not great. The gun is either hard to get to, or sticks up so far that the grip is clearly visible in the pocket. (depending on holster) Tried it in my parka type coat at the range, still no good. Very hard to get at. I am not saying it won't work well under the right circumstances, apparently I am just not properly fostering those circumstances. No doubt it would be a little easier if I took the 442 out of the safe, just not real comfortable with 5 rounds of .38 anymore.

JodyH
01-03-2016, 10:17 PM
just not real comfortable with 5 rounds of .38 anymore.
I look at my pocket gun as an alternate, not as a BUG or primary.
For me those are just the first 5 rounds (or 7 in my PM9) under certain circumstances, not usually my only 5-7 rounds.
I almost always have between 9 (HK45C) and 14 (P2000) rounds AIWB backing up the pocket gun.

I've said before that there is not a better covert pre-emptive draw than from a pocket. I can slip the pistol out and down beside my leg and then return it to the holster with nobody noticing anything going on (which I have done when what looked like a convenience store robbery turned into a prankster messing with his clerk buddy).

There is also no faster untelegraphed draw than starting hands in pocket.
Out of my 1 second pocket draw, there's probably <.5 seconds between recognition that there's a gun coming out and the shot.
Out of my 1.5 second AIWB draw, it's an obvious draw as soon as my hands move to clear the shirt.

Glenn E. Meyer
01-03-2016, 10:34 PM
I got the 432PD for $305 when they were discontinued and they were all over the gun show as a discontinued item. Should have bought two. I also have a 632 in the comp'ed 3 inch. Mine is stainless as compared to the usual blued one. Very nice little 6 shot 327. I've shot it at IDPA matches as an outlaw. It knocked down steel with no problem. I rarely carry it but it's a nice gun.

pangloss
01-03-2016, 11:40 PM
I bought a 432PD off Gunbroker several years ago, and I carry it quite a lot. It's easy to conceal a J-frame in my pocket and a G26 AIWB. I don't shoot the gun as much as I should simply because ammo for it costs so much more than 9mm.

Crusader8207
01-03-2016, 11:45 PM
Damn auto correct. :) I swear I typed "Nyeti" not Yeti LOL!!!!!!

Yeti (Steve Fisher, good pal and fellow trainer has longer legs than me;)). Thanks to Duluth Firehouse, I can pocket carry a 640 PRO. I also use a Safariland 27 for IWB with it. The M&P340 is carried daily in a cargo pocket of my pants as a BUG.

Back when I was doing EP work on a contract where I made a lot of contacts with folks, I had Tim Thurner make me a pocket holster for my chore coat to carry a HK P7. I talked to everyone with a hand on a gun, but looked very non-aggressive.

Not a huge fan for primary carry, love it for a BUG role.

Tamara
01-03-2016, 11:49 PM
I bought a 432PD off Gunbroker several years ago, and I carry it quite a lot. It's easy to conceal a J-frame in my pocket and a G26 AIWB. I don't shoot the gun as much as I should simply because ammo for it costs so much more than 9mm.

A 43C would make a dandy understudy.

SLG
01-03-2016, 11:58 PM
I wish I could pocket carry, but since I don't wear the same pants everyday, not all of them work well with it. I used to pocket carry a G26, back in the late 90's. Worked well. Then one day, I walked into my friend's Italian grandmother's house. First words out of her mouth were, "Is that a gun in your pocket?"

pangloss
01-04-2016, 12:06 AM
A 43C would make a dandy understudy.

By 43C do you mean Glock 43? If so, I probably would have bought one already had my finances not been diverted to a Beretta 92G Vertec I saw on Gunbroker a couple of weeks ago. The G43 remains next on my list even though I might end up with a G43 AIWB and the 432PD still in my pocket.

Tamara
01-04-2016, 12:07 AM
I used to pocket carry a G26, back in the late 90's. Worked well. Then one day, I walked into my friend's Italian grandmother's house. First words out of her mouth were, "Is that a gun in your pocket?"

...and "No, I'm just happy to see you" would have been awk-ward. ;) o.O

Pocket carry, for me at least, is a very specialized winter thing. I keep the gat in the outside left-hand breast pocket of my winter coat...what I guess they call a "document pocket"?

I can access it left-handed, cavalry style, in a pinch, but it's mostly there because it's accessible when I'm driving with the seatbelt over my zipped-up coat. That's one of the few times my belt gun is truly inaccessible and, having had an armed dude approach my car from the driver's side in the past, this is a thing about which I am probably overconcerned.

Tamara
01-04-2016, 12:08 AM
By 43C do you mean Glock 43?

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product4_750001_750051_786528_-1_757787_757787_757787_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y

pangloss
01-04-2016, 12:10 AM
http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product4_750001_750051_786528_-1_757787_757787_757787_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y
Oh my! I'm embarrassed that I didn't know about that pistol. Thanks for bringing in to my attention.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

BehindBlueI's
01-04-2016, 01:38 AM
I look at my pocket gun as an alternate, not as a BUG or primary.

That's pretty much where I'm at with two guns. I don't expect either to fail or to whatever, I just prefer two because one carry position covers the weaknesses of the other, giving options. I've generally come to describe it as "alternate primaries" but the terminology is irrelevant as the idea is the same.

deputyG23
01-04-2016, 02:13 AM
I wish I could pocket carry, but since I don't wear the same pants everyday, not all of them work well with it. I used to pocket carry a G26, back in the late 90's. Worked well. Then one day, I walked into my friend's Italian grandmother's house. First words out of her mouth were, "Is that a gun in your pocket?"
When my work forbade anything off duty except Glocks, I bought a G26 when they first came out and a Galco horsehide pocket holster. It was somewhat workable in that mode.
My son was a baby then and I was rocking him in the church nursery while pocket carrying the 26. I heard a "clunk" noise to my right, looked over, and saw the 26 on the floor. I hurriedly scooped it up and stuck it back in the pocket holster. The lady who was in charge of the nursery just smiled and did not say a word.
I always found the G26 and 27 too blocky and square for pants pocket carry.
When i finally got a CHP, I started carrying a new 442-2 anytime I had pants on and was not at work. The hammer less, humpback, and bobbed hammer J frames are superlative pocket guns.

SouthNarc
01-04-2016, 09:59 AM

I would have said that in a heartbeat.

ffhounddog
01-04-2016, 10:22 AM
I toss a Beretta Nano into a jacket pocket a lot or my bathrobe. If I am around the house the Nano is on me. I have thought about giving the Glock 43 a try but the Nano has not given me any issues when I have shot it. Only have at the most 4000 rounds down the pipe in the one I carry mostly but I did get a backup when I found it for $250. I like it. I do not know what to say other than it works well for me in its role and mission.

Beat Trash
01-04-2016, 10:56 AM

Pocket carry, for me at least, is a very specialized winter thing. I keep the gat in the outside left-hand breast pocket of my winter coat...what I guess they call a "document pocket"?

I can access it left-handed, cavalry style, in a pinch, but it's mostly there because it's accessible when I'm driving with the seatbelt over my zipped-up coat. That's one of the few times my belt gun is truly inaccessible and, having had an armed dude approach my car from the driver's side in the past, this is a thing about which I am probably overconcerned.

Excellent though process going on here.

About the only time I actually carry a J-Frame any more is in the winter as a outer coat pocket gun. I use the hand warmer pockets normally, but if I plan on stuffing gloves in and out of them, I use the same pocket Tamara is referring to. Some say the pocket was designed for a cell phone. I always thought the designer owned a J-Frame Centennial revolver and designed the pocket for their gun.

This is why my 642 isn't going anywhere. Of course with the screwed up weather we've had this year, I don't see me needing it much.

Glenn E. Meyer
01-04-2016, 11:00 AM
Nope, that's a SW J frame in 22 LR - 8 rounds.

ssb
01-04-2016, 11:06 AM
Assuming equal price and good condition, is a used S&W 342 worth it over a new no-lock 442 or 642?

Edit: specifically for pocket carry, whether in a jacket or an off-side pocket.

LSP972
01-04-2016, 11:15 AM
Assuming equal price and good condition, is a used S&W 342 worth it over a new no-lock 442 or 642?

Edit: specifically for pocket carry, whether in a jacket or an off-side pocket.

Depends. The 342 is a couple of ounces (almost three) lighter than the other two, and believe it or not you can indeed "feel the difference" in a pocket. 342's are becoming quite expensive, and not easy to find, for that reason.

Its worth the extra $$ to me; others will disagree.

SLG
01-04-2016, 11:20 AM
I would have said that in a heartbeat.

The problem is, she would have taken me up on that. Feisty old woman.:-)

SouthNarc
01-04-2016, 11:56 AM
Depends. The 342 is a couple of ounces (almost three) lighter than the other two, and believe it or not you can indeed "feel the difference" in a pocket. 342's are becoming quite expensive, and not easy to find, for that reason.

Its worth the extra $$ to me; others will disagree.

I had a 342 that I put quite a bit of cash into via Dave Lauck and I ended up selling it. Probably the singularly most unshootable handgun I've ever owned.

WDW
01-04-2016, 12:51 PM
I ALWAYS have a J Frame in my pocket. Used to be a 442/642, but is currently a no lock 340

ssb
01-04-2016, 12:52 PM
I had a 342 that I put quite a bit of cash into via Dave Lauck and I ended up selling it. Probably the singularly most unshootable handgun I've ever owned.

Was that the case with wadcutters or just the heavier defensive loads (158gr+P LSWCHP, 135gr+P GD, etc.)?

runcible
01-04-2016, 01:28 PM
I'm writing from relative ignorance here, in that I don't run two guns nor do I run gear out of my pockets.

That said, I prefer to keep my pockets clear of fighting gear. Pocket openings can change a good bit; as far as height, angle, and the breadth of the mouth. They might not be world-ending hand traps, but I do prefer not to have my hands deep in them when someone sketchy is within arm's reach.

If I were to run an additional gun, offside-AIWB or high-chest seem more viable to my preferences and body; but I speak only for myself in this.

JodyH
01-04-2016, 01:36 PM
They might not be world-ending hand traps, but I do prefer not to have my hands deep in them when someone sketchy is within arm's reach.
Someone sketchy and within arms reach isn't a gun problem.

runcible
01-04-2016, 02:22 PM
I agree!

LSP972
01-04-2016, 07:35 PM
Probably the singularly most unshootable handgun I've ever owned.

Oh, I never said they're enjoyable… which is why I practice with a 640.

However, nothing, IMO, can beat it for carry comfort/convenience.

Wondering Beard
01-04-2016, 07:41 PM
Someone sketchy and within arms reach isn't a gun problem.

Unless you get the ball rolling by shooting a snubby 45 Colt loaded with stout black powder loads from inside your pocket :cool:

Sigfan26
01-04-2016, 07:49 PM
My 642 is the gun I love to hate. I get almost no enjoyment out of shooting it. The sights blow. The trigger (with work) is mediocre... But I never have an excuse to be without a gun as long as I own it.

JodyH
01-04-2016, 07:54 PM
Unless you get the ball rolling by shooting a snubby 45 Colt loaded with stout black powder loads from inside your pocket :cool:
Nobody wants to wrestle with the guy who's on fire.

Dropkick
01-05-2016, 10:12 AM
Can anyone describe (or show) what the features of a jacket outer pocket that works good with J-Frames?
I when through my closet and tried every jacket I had with my 642 and Desantis pocket holster, and only a thin soft shell worked (which is too light for winter.)

SLG
01-05-2016, 10:43 AM
Jody,

Which version of the Duluth do you prefer? I have several styles, and some work well with pocket holsters while others do not.

Beat Trash
01-05-2016, 10:43 AM
Can anyone describe (or show) what the features of a jacket outer pocket that works good with J-Frames?
I when through my closet and tried every jacket I had with my 642 and Desantis pocket holster, and only a thin soft shell worked (which is too light for winter.)

For a thick parka type of coat, when the temp in in the teens or lower and the windchill factor has a "-" in it, I usually can't get to my primary gun as it's buried under layers of cloths. My heavy coats have hand warmer pockets in the front of them, and a slash type of pocket parallel to the zipper on the left breast. My 642 has a way of slipping in and out of these pockets without hanging up on anything due to the curved profile. The parka pockets on the outside are usually a bit thicker than on a thinner jacket. This helps to prevent the 642 from printing. Also it is not uncommon in cold weather to see people with their hands stuffed into these pockets. I do it also. The long difference is depending on my surroundings, while I am standing there with my hands jammed into my pockets, looking like I'm freezing, one hand is holding onto my 642.

Beat Trash
01-05-2016, 10:46 AM
My 642 is the gun I love to hate. I get almost no enjoyment out of shooting it. The sights blow. The trigger (with work) is mediocre... But I never have an excuse to be without a gun as long as I own it.

I totally agree. I've owned three of them over the years. I would get to the point where I'd hate it and sell it off. Then it would take about 90 days before I am kicking myself for doing so. The last time I bought a 642, I made a little sign that sits on top of the gun. It says, "I am NOT for sale!". I'm sorely tempted to pick up a 442, just to keep it company...

JodyH
01-05-2016, 11:53 AM
Jody,

Which version of the Duluth do you prefer? I have several styles, and some work well with pocket holsters while others do not.
Firehose Work Pants and the DuluthFlex Firehose Work Pants.
The carpenter pants have shallow slash pockets that suck.

deputyG23
01-05-2016, 12:57 PM
I totally agree. I've owned three of them over the years. I would get to the point where I'd hate it and sell it off. Then it would take about 90 days before I am kicking myself for doing so. The last time I bought a 642, I made a little sign that sits on top of the gun. It says, "I am NOT for sale!". I'm sorely tempted to pick up a 442, just to keep it company...
Snub revolvers are an addiction for me. I am up to four. A 442-2 that lives in my pocket when not on the job, a bobbed hammer M60, a recently acquired shooter grade '74 Colt DS, and a shooter grade Lew Horton 3" M29.
I am considering getting a no lock 340 for EDC and making the IL equipped 442-2 a training gun.

Dropkick
01-05-2016, 02:17 PM
For a thick parka type of coat, when the temp in in the teens or lower and the windchill factor has a "-" in it, I usually can't get to my primary gun as it's buried under layers of cloths. My heavy coats have hand warmer pockets in the front of them, and a slash type of pocket parallel to the zipper on the left breast. My 642 has a way of slipping in and out of these pockets without hanging up on anything due to the curved profile. The parka pockets on the outside are usually a bit thicker than on a thinner jacket. This helps to prevent the 642 from printing. Also it is not uncommon in cold weather to see people with their hands stuffed into these pockets. I do it also. The long difference is depending on my surroundings, while I am standing there with my hands jammed into my pockets, looking like I'm freezing, one hand is holding onto my 642.

Are you talking about the pocket on this guy's left chest? And the draw would be similar to a cross draw?
http://gearnova.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/J.-Crew-Explorer-Down-Parka-for-men.jpeg

Tamara
01-05-2016, 02:51 PM
That's the pocket I'm talking about.

JHC
01-05-2016, 02:54 PM
Are you talking about the pocket on this guy's left chest? And the draw would be similar to a cross draw?
http://gearnova.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/J.-Crew-Explorer-Down-Parka-for-men.jpeg

And btw the way the model is not fully buttoned up is how I wear my severe bitter cold coat if the temps require it whereby AIWB access is not too bad.

LittleLebowski
02-02-2016, 08:56 AM

I just carry OWB under a coat. It is rare for me to use OWB, period.

GJM
02-02-2016, 09:04 AM
And btw the way the model is not fully buttoned up is how I wear my severe bitter cold coat if the temps require it whereby AIWB access is not too bad.

Define bitter cold? :)

JHC
02-02-2016, 09:10 AM

Below 25 degrees! ;)

But yeah, I see where this is tracking. In the -40 I ran into at Ft Wainwright/Fairbanks in the early '80's . . . I just don't know. Can't shoot a pistol with a mitten on. Bare skin won't survive my Bill Drill!

Tamara
02-02-2016, 09:12 AM

We all have different definitions for that, Nanook.

GJM
02-02-2016, 09:27 AM
JHC is a bit of a style dandy, and I think he fancied himself wearing a coat like that.

JHC
02-02-2016, 09:31 AM
JHC is a bit of a style dandy, and I think he fancied himself wearing a coat like that.

First half correct, 2nd half not. Too puffy.

rob_s
02-02-2016, 09:33 AM

FWIW, for me, having a pocket carry option has been more of a summer issue when it's ungodly hot outside and I'm just not willing to go around baking for the sake of feeling like I'm prepared for the moose-limb invasion. I have a couple of tiny pistols that, by this forum's standards, would be considered pointless, but they serve the greater purpose most people have in carrying which is they make me feel good.

glockmasterflex
02-02-2016, 12:04 PM
I often carry a j frame along with my G17 aiwb. However I've had issues with just about every holster I try sometimes being drawn with the gun rather than staying in my front jeans pocket. Literally the only solution I've found is putting a little bit of fresh duct tape on the holster so it sticks to the pocket. It's a hillbilly fix but the I've found it works for me. Anyone got any suggestions for a pocket holster that's been 100% reliable for them in those regards?

JustOneGun
02-02-2016, 12:05 PM
FWIW, for me, having a pocket carry option has been more of a summer issue when it's ungodly hot outside and I'm just not willing to go around baking for the sake of feeling like I'm prepared for the moose-limb invasion. I have a couple of tiny pistols that, by this forum's standards, would be considered pointless, but they serve the greater purpose most people have in carrying which is they make me feel good.

FWIW I grew up in Arizona and your post hit near to home for me. Hiding a pistol under a t-shirt is a fantastic ability when it is hot, humid or both.

I think your ideas represent a large portion of the pocket carry crowd. Some people just need to pocket carry. Which of course is fine. I think many people have found that it is easy to do, but there are trade offs that have nothing to do with size of pistol but the pocket itself. My main problem with it is substantially slower draw speed combined with limited sized grip marring my performance. For me I AIWB a G19. If I couldn't hide a G19 AIWB but could hide a G43 AIWB then I would wear it on the waistband as opposed to in a pocket. Because of that I can use all the advantages of the, "let me look in my pocket type robbery scenario". I still have a very fast draw when I need it outside of the surreptitious draw. I used to do the same thing when I carried at 4 o'clock off duty only reached for the wallet in the back pocket before giving the bad guy the good news.

I guess my point is there might be a middle ground to try for many people who decided to go with pocket carry. For me shooting a small pocket pistol with a finger extension is far faster to control than that pistol with a flush mag. My draw of the same pocket pistol is magnitudes faster (even surreptitiously) when on the waist than in the pocket. Can a person conceal a G43 (single stack) over a G19 (double stack) on the waist? Can they do it with a finger extension on the waist but not in the pocket?

If they find that middle ground I believe they are better off even with the same pocket pistol over a wide range of scenarios that life can throw at us. Sometimes they can add a finger extension or larger single stack mag and still hide it comfortably. If they stay with pocket carry, then obviously they believe the trade offs work for them. We all make our choices and take our chances. It's good to discuss options and those trade offs before we decide, even if it is just to think about how to train around those trade offs as best we can.

As for your last line about carry just to feel good, I'm not sure where you are coming from there? Can you flesh that out a little bit? I'm not seeing how that has anything to do with carrying a pistol and hope you can explain?

LHS
02-02-2016, 12:22 PM
I find a sap and a 642 make great offsetting jacket pocket weights in the cooler months.

rob_s
02-02-2016, 01:07 PM
FWIW I grew up in Arizona and your post hit near to home for me. Hiding a pistol under a t-shirt is a fantastic ability when it is hot, humid or both.

I think your ideas represent a large portion of the pocket carry crowd. Some people just need to pocket carry. Which of course is fine. I think many people have found that it is easy to do, but there are trade offs that have nothing to do with size of pistol but the pocket itself. My main problem with it is substantially slower draw speed combined with limited sized grip marring my performance. For me I AIWB a G19. If I couldn't hide a G19 AIWB but could hide a G43 AIWB then I would wear it on the waistband as opposed to in a pocket. Because of that I can use all the advantages of the, "let me look in my pocket type robbery scenario". I still have a very fast draw when I need it outside of the surreptitious draw. I used to do the same thing when I carried at 4 o'clock off duty only reached for the wallet in the back pocket before giving the bad guy the good news.

I guess my point is there might be a middle ground to try for many people who decided to go with pocket carry. For me shooting a small pocket pistol with a finger extension is far faster to control than that pistol with a flush mag. My draw of the same pocket pistol is magnitudes faster (even surreptitiously) when on the waist than in the pocket. Can a person conceal a G43 (single stack) over a G19 (double stack) on the waist? Can they do it with a finger extension on the waist but not in the pocket?

If they find that middle ground I believe they are better off even with the same pocket pistol over a wide range of scenarios that life can throw at us. Sometimes they can add a finger extension or larger single stack mag and still hide it comfortably. If they stay with pocket carry, then obviously they believe the trade offs work for them. We all make our choices and take our chances. It's good to discuss options and those trade offs before we decide, even if it is just to think about how to train around those trade offs as best we can.

As for your last line about carry just to feel good, I'm not sure where you are coming from there? Can you flesh that out a little bit? I'm not seeing how that has anything to do with carrying a pistol and hope you can explain?

I've been around all this foolishness way to long to actually think that any of that stuff is going to matter. I prefer to focus my "survival" on things I'm in far more control of like moving to a better area, not associating with shitbags, and not engaging in questionable recreational activities. not to mention healthy eating and the occasional rise off my ass to move my muscles.

so, for me, given my own threat assessment, the "need" for the gun is about nil. Were I an off-duty or retired cop (presumably on-duty one or more firearms is already the norm), or bouncer, or bail-bondsman, or lawyer... I might feel my danger profile was raised, but I'm not and never was so the likelihood of me encountering someone from my past (people I've offended on the internut notwithstanding) that is looking to do me harm is even lower than the likelihood of a stranger looking to do me harm.

So for me, and frankly the vast majority of people that engage in this folly, the gun is essentially a plastic-and-steel woobbie. Or, a rationalization for a hobby and recreational activity. Given that, the actual make, model, caliber, draw speed, accuracy potential, reload speed, etc. is insignificant.

If all of that offends, then we'll just reduce it to "first rule of a gunfight: have a gun" and be done.

LSP972
02-02-2016, 01:27 PM
Anyone got any suggestions for a pocket holster that's been 100% reliable for them in those regards?

This, from RKBA Holsters. The little "ears", tabs, whatever on the upper corners keep the holster in your pocket. I've been using them for 6+ years now. He makes one to my specs with only one thickness of leather, that makes for a perfect pocket holster in my estimation. He wouldn't warranty that, citing he was concerned it wouldn't hold up. But I've still got the original he made like that, sweat-stained and worn smooth, that is still serviceable.

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=rkba+holsters&qpvt=RKBA+holsters&qpvt=RKBA+holsters&FORM=IGRE#!?q=rkba+holsters&view=detailv2&&id=8AF9CB2BC956FEF714C29EEDC136FB70983212FE&selectedIndex=135&ccid=XsjiJvdU&simid=608019584454101815&thid=OIP.M5ec8e226f75436309bd0a1989c549e49o0&mode=overlay

If I can remember, I'll post a pic or two of mine with some further comments when I get home.

camsdaddy
02-02-2016, 01:38 PM
I often carry a j frame along with my G17 aiwb. However I've had issues with just about every holster I try sometimes being drawn with the gun rather than staying in my front jeans pocket. Literally the only solution I've found is putting a little bit of fresh duct tape on the holster so it sticks to the pocket. It's a hillbilly fix but the I've found it works for me. Anyone got any suggestions for a pocket holster that's been 100% reliable for them in those regards?
Mika

MGW
02-02-2016, 02:07 PM
I carry a J frame in an Uncle Mike's pocket holster or Kramer pocket holster anytime I'm at home. I also carry one when I play golf. I tried to come up with a funny explanation for why I carry a J frame while playing golf but couldn't come up with one. I guess I do it because I can.

I used to have a Mika pocket holster that I really liked but lost it somewhere. It really works well but takes a little breaking in.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JustOneGun
02-02-2016, 02:18 PM
I've been around all this foolishness way to long to actually think that any of that stuff is going to matter. I prefer to focus my "survival" on things I'm in far more control of like moving to a better area, not associating with shitbags, and not engaging in questionable recreational activities. not to mention healthy eating and the occasional rise off my ass to move my muscles.

so, for me, given my own threat assessment, the "need" for the gun is about nil. Were I an off-duty or retired cop (presumably on-duty one or more firearms is already the norm), or bouncer, or bail-bondsman, or lawyer... I might feel my danger profile was raised, but I'm not and never was so the likelihood of me encountering someone from my past (people I've offended on the internut notwithstanding) that is looking to do me harm is even lower than the likelihood of a stranger looking to do me harm.

So for me, and frankly the vast majority of people that engage in this folly, the gun is essentially a plastic-and-steel woobbie. Or, a rationalization for a hobby and recreational activity. Given that, the actual make, model, caliber, draw speed, accuracy potential, reload speed, etc. is insignificant.

If all of that offends, then we'll just reduce it to "first rule of a gunfight: have a gun" and be done.

First of all you can't offend me, it's the internet. LOL. As a retired officer I have been offended by the most offensive people in the world. I also respect your choice as your own and thank you for replying.

Oddly enough I have heard your argument before and it's a logical one for not carrying a gun. I would ask a person who lives their lives intelligently in order to avoid the three S's if they have a plan for what to do if they get into a bad situation such as robbery or rape. If they have a plan I don't think they are too far behind me in their threat assessment. As a coworker used to say, "That will work, until it don't" The stats are not 100%.

But whether a ninja, officer, special forces, me or you, once your brain says it's time for the gun then every thing you just said doesn't matter in fact does matter equally to all of us.

I find it odd that you carry a gun and seem to disagree that a small amount of thought as to how you will carry, draw and control the pistol in an efficient manner can save your life. As a retired police officer I can promise you that there are plenty of dead citizens who didn't draw their pistol fast enough, didn't have a pistol when they needed it and were raped when they didn't think they would be. Again there are pocket carry people who do so because they have tried other things and it just didn't work for them. As you say, better to have a gun than not. But if you're telling me that you disagree with what I said and you haven't tried other options then I would say the following:

If I use your logic train then it would also make sense that I would parrot you and say knowing the law is also not going to matter. I will know when to shoot and when not to. Again, as a police officer I can promise you that I have also taken good people to jail and watched them sentenced to eight to ten for manslaughter because they didn't know the finer points of the law.

As you pointed out you control some things and other things you cannot. This is where I believe you are wrong in your thinking. You can control your draw speed by making possible changes to your set up. Just like you can understand the law by taking a class and or going to the library and reading them. What and how you say it sounds like a willful disregard for the realities of a gunfight.

As a bad guy I control if you need a pistol. I control if you need to shoot it. I control how you need to draw. With CCW spreading it is and will become more common for me the bad guy to go back to the old fashioned bash them in the head with a bat and then riffle through the pockets. Suddenly that surreptitious draw isn't so important and a fairly quick draw becomes oh so important to you. I as the bad guy control that and you disregard my decision at you and your loved one's peril.

Do some people take it to the extreme and say they will spend their recreational hours getting a .8 second draw to first shot? Sure. But we try to live in an either or world when it is not. I like to spout the Pareto principle. Learn to get the easy gains out of our pistols. Learn a few techniques to give yourself a bit of time to draw and shoot such as a side step with a draw. Add a small amount of time to progressively learn something new each month. Then spend a bit of time dry firing and spend a bit of time training at the range.

As Tom Givens has said a few times right here on this forum, I paraphrase: learn to have a reasonably fast draw with side step and be able to place accurate hits at 7 to 15 yards in a fairly quick manner. Spend a bit of time learning to shoot out to 25 yards and you will be good to go. Does it take your whole life to do this? Not at all. A time investment of a few local classes to learn the laws and the pistol. Some practice to get the easy gains. Then some maintenance practice to keep that level and you're good to go. You control all of these things, not misapplied statistics or the bad guy.

glockmasterflex
02-02-2016, 02:20 PM
Thanks everyone. I used a Mika holster for a long time with no issues but eventually it started having that problem too where it draws with the gun so I use that with duct tape. I'm goin to look at some other options mentioned particularly the RKBA.

StraitR
02-02-2016, 04:47 PM

<50 :cool:

camsdaddy
02-02-2016, 05:26 PM
Thanks everyone. I used a Mika holster for a long time with no issues but eventually it started having that problem too where it draws with the gun so I use that with duct tape. I'm goin to look at some other options mentioned particularly the RKBA.
How baggy are your pants? Maybe wrap the gun in a ziplock bag and insert it in the holster and maybe place it under your mattress for a day or two. This should help release

JAD
02-02-2016, 05:39 PM
For me the Kramer, which relies on a hook rather than friction, worked best. There was a knack, and it was not 100% transferable between pocket types, so a little practice was prudent. That was back in the day when I used to do a few presentations before leaving the house -- I don't know whether I'm safer or lazier now -- and that was all it took to get me wired for sound.

scjbash
02-02-2016, 06:05 PM
This just happened to be in my BookFace feed a few minutes ago.

"An apartment occupant was robbed at gunpoint but managed to open fire with his own handgun through his jacket pocket."

http://concealednation.org/2016/02/another-armed-citizen-defends-against-thug-shooting-through-jacket-pocket/

LSP972
02-02-2016, 07:03 PM
This, from RKBA Holsters. The little "ears", tabs, whatever on the upper corners keep the holster in your pocket. I've been using them for 6+ years now. He makes one to my specs with only one thickness of leather, that makes for a perfect pocket holster in my estimation. He wouldn't warranty that, citing he was concerned it wouldn't hold up. But I've still got the original he made like that, sweat-stained and worn smooth, that is still serviceable.

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=rkba+holsters&qpvt=RKBA+holsters&qpvt=RKBA+holsters&FORM=IGRE#!?q=rkba+holsters&view=detailv2&&id=8AF9CB2BC956FEF714C29EEDC136FB70983212FE&selectedIndex=135&ccid=XsjiJvdU&simid=608019584454101815&thid=OIP.M5ec8e226f75436309bd0a1989c549e49o0&mode=overlay

If I can remember, I'll post a pic or two of mine with some further comments when I get home.

Here ya go, bud. Looks pretty beat-up, but still works like a champ. The last shot shows the single-thickness cowhide; he normally uses two layers, but that of course adds to the overall thickness. This "thinness" you see here rides better in semi-dress slacks. The Kramer offering, mentioned earlier, was my gold standard for a long time… until I stumbled upon this guy. The Kramer is a LOT thicker than this, and while its backing piece of leather makes it look like a wallet instead of a holster, its still a pretty big lump in your pocket. This RKBA offering carries beautifully; and much more low-profile. And I was wrong on the longevity; checking back, I purchased this over TEN years ago, and wore it almost every day until switching to my left front pocket a few years ago.

You will note that I trimmed the top edge down just below the rear of the cylinder. If you don't do this, the leather above that point will curl in a bit. It doesn't obstruct the draw at all, but makes it a bit of a PITA to re-holster. Preferences, and all of that…

SeriousStudent
02-02-2016, 07:51 PM
I will also second the RKBA holsters. I have a pair of their J-frame models (one lefty, one righty) and a G42 lefty as well. All are very comfy, and last for years.

GardoneVT
02-02-2016, 10:06 PM
I pose this with no sarcasm:

What is one to do with the pocketed pistol? I gather the utility if one is outside in actual winter weather (if your broadcast meteorologist freaks out at snowfall above 2", you don't live there) , but you eventually have to de-coat. In some places -like the girlfriends family homestead- you'll be socially obligated to hang your coat somewhere less then accessible,such as a closet. And most closets have doors.

Then you must either run to the closet Should Trouble Arise, or carry a second pistol carried under the coat. Then there's the troubling issue of an unsecured weapon left in a pocket out of my control. In most areas it won't be socially acceptable to pull a firearm out of a jacket pocket and relocate it to an on-person setup, only to reverse the process before going outside.

BobM
02-02-2016, 10:09 PM
I typically have a J frame in my pants pocket along with my primary pistol. I can move it to a coat pocket and back again as needed.

Tamara
02-03-2016, 08:33 AM
What is one to do with the pocketed pistol? I gather the utility if one is outside in actual winter weather (if your broadcast meteorologist freaks out at snowfall above 2", you don't live there) , but you eventually have to de-coat. In some places -like the girlfriends family homestead- you'll be socially obligated to hang your coat somewhere less then accessible,such as a closet. And most closets have doors.

Then you must either run to the closet Should Trouble Arise, or carry a second pistol carried under the coat. Then there's the troubling issue of an unsecured weapon left in a pocket out of my control. In most areas it won't be socially acceptable to pull a firearm out of a jacket pocket and relocate it to an on-person setup, only to reverse the process before going outside.

I pose this with no sarcasm: You should probably re-read those posts.

UNK
02-03-2016, 12:17 PM
For kydex I have the AHolster standard pocket holster. They also offer another one that is slimmer and shorter for shallower pockets.
I like that I can reholster without taking the holster out of my pocket.

http://shop.aholster.com/main.sc

psalms144.1
02-03-2016, 12:46 PM

Then you must either run to the closet Should Trouble Arise, or carry a second pistol carried under the coat. Then there's the troubling issue of an unsecured weapon left in a pocket out of my control. In most areas it won't be socially acceptable to pull a firearm out of a jacket pocket and relocate it to an on-person setup, only to reverse the process before going outside.Um, j-frame in coat pocket driving to work; arrival at parking lot transfer j-frame to pants pocket. Leaving work? Conduct in reverse before leaving the office. It really isn't all that insurmountable an issue.

Without sarcasm, if your GF will be upset about the transfer process, then you have issues WHOLLY unrelated to the pocket or non-pocket of firearms.

Beat Trash
02-03-2016, 05:15 PM
LSP972,

What are those grips on your J-Frame?

Exurbankevin
02-04-2016, 09:53 AM
Most of the discussion here seems centered on the idea that Pocket Carry = Winter Carry.

Having lived 30+ years in Phoenix and now living in The Sunshine State, Winter = "Anything lower than 60 Degrees". Because of this, pocket carry for me has always been about the times when the dress code prevents me from carrying in a holster on my waist. I'm not LEO, I'm an office drone in a veal pen, and I've been fortunate in that everywhere I've worked for the past ten years that has a "business casual" dress code either didn't mention guns in their employee manual or banned "dangerous and illegal" weapons.

It ain't dangerous if it's in my holster, and it sure ain't illegal.

Business casual pretty much mandates one of four options: Off body carry, pocket carry, tuckable IWB with discreet belt hooks, or ankle carry. I chose pocket carry because it was fast, discreet and didn't require me to keep tabs on a bag in my cube.

The other advantage of pocket carry is that negates any reason not to have a gun with you. If there is a pocket on your trousers, you can be armed.

If (and how often) you wear trousers is a topic for another thread. :D

BehindBlueI's
02-04-2016, 12:22 PM

You only carry one gun?

LSP972
02-04-2016, 01:26 PM
LSP972,

What are those grips on your J-Frame?

Top right photo.

http://ahrendsgripsusa.com/revolver.htm

Mike Pipes
02-04-2016, 01:37 PM
You only carry one gun?

LIKE,LIKE,LIKE

SeriousStudent
02-04-2016, 08:47 PM
I only carry one gun in each pocket.

Mr Pipes was a good teacher.

Mike Pipes
02-04-2016, 09:12 PM
I only carry one gun in each pocket.

Mr Pipes was a good teacher.

Thank you my friend....CYA

Appalachained
02-04-2016, 10:32 PM
If it weren't for pocket carry I don't known if I would have kept carrying after I first got my CCDW. It's just a hassle to thread a holster on my belt and back off everyday when I left for work.
I was also really worried about printing back then and I had a gen3 g26 with a CT Laserguard and in the pocket holster I had it looked more like a small book or something in my pocket. After a while I preferred it also because you could just have your hand in your pocket when in an uneasy situation and no one is none the wiser.
I never liked carrying 3,4 or 5 o' clock because of the possibility of standing in line somewhere and people seeing the print or worse someone grabbing for it and appendix carry is uncomfortable for me when sitting.
It works for me.I've carried my early Gen4 26 for Five years in my pocket everyday.
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160205/bdd3f8a59c0ea2d7ed6ae26adb53a1ed.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Salamander
02-04-2016, 10:54 PM
Yesterday was the first time I second-guessed my now approximately 60-day experiment with pocket carry.

I was on a site visit with a client, and most of the time we were in what I'd consider to be pretty safe areas at the edge of town. Most of my day was client meetings, most of them in office settings, so I'd consciously made a J-frame decision that morning after momentarily considering bringing something bigger.

After I thought we were done, the client came up with "just one more thing" to look at, and we drove around the back side of the project and up the mountain a ways on a gravel road. We didn't go beyond a locked gate, and that's when the client told me the land on the other side was being acquired through eminent domain for the project, and that relations with the owner were "tense" and that there had been "several confrontations" lately.

I took it seriously because my client was visibly nervous, and I knew he was carrying something bigger than I was, and I know he's an ex-fighter pilot with combat experience, and ex-JSOC. I've never seen him nervous before. Suddenly I was kind of wishing I'd grabbed the P2000 and an OWB instead. Then I remembered that it was pouring rain and only crazy people like us would be out walking around on the side of a mountain.... still, in scrub conifer woodland, even in the rain I could see anywhere from 100 yds to half a mile depending on direction. The kind of place where ranges could be a little long for a snubby.

Most of the time though, on office days, I'm still comfortable with pocket carry. Weather isn't much of a factor here, it's light jacket weather almost all year, at least when outdoors. My current situation is usually low risk when in town, and if I need to go out the back office door after dark my hand is in my pocket til I get a good look around. And I'm never tempted not to carry. I'm actually more likely to carry a pistol OWB outside of winter, when I spend less time in the office and more on site visits in less predictable situations.

Cincinnatus
02-05-2016, 07:39 AM
If it weren't for pocket carry I don't known if I would have kept carrying after I first got my CCDW. It's just a hassle to thread a holster on my belt and back off everyday when I left for work.
I was also really worried about printing back then and I had a gen3 g26 with a CT Laserguard and in the pocket holster I had it looked more like a small book or something in my pocket. After a while I preferred it also because you could just have your hand in your pocket when in an uneasy situation and no one is none the wiser.
I never liked carrying 3,4 or 5 o' clock because of the possibility of standing in line somewhere and people seeing the print or worse someone grabbing for it and appendix carry is uncomfortable for me when sitting.
It works for me.I've carried my early Gen4 26 for Five years in my pocket everyday.
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160205/bdd3f8a59c0ea2d7ed6ae26adb53a1ed.jpg

What kind of pants do you use to hide a G26? Did you have to modify the pocket any?

Appalachained
02-05-2016, 07:57 AM
Cargo Shorts in the summer and "work khaki's" in the winter. Fits fine with enough room to get a full grip on the gun before pulling it out of pocket. Doesn't work with dress khakis or jeans. I have a smaller gun I carry when I have to wear one of those which is almost never.

chp5
02-05-2016, 06:25 PM
I can't pull off a G26, but I've been carrying my G43 in dress pants for a while. It works well. It's heavier than my J Frame, but flatter and not too heavy.

psalms144.1
02-05-2016, 10:53 PM
I had the misfortune of having to spend most of the week at wakes/funerals. Even though a huge chunk of my family are in/or retired LE, firearms in/around "safe" locations and church are definitely frowned upon. As much as I hated leaving the G19 behind, the G26 on my ankle was a comfort, and my G43 in my right front suit pocket was easily accessible at all times.

Again, for me, pocket carry is a VERY limited exercise, but when you need it, you need it, and most "real" pistols can't be pressed into that role.

fwrun
02-10-2016, 12:14 AM
With my J Frame, pocket carry just flat doesn't work in either my work uniform or the Carhartt's I wear off duty. I wanted it to work so badly, but it either prints too much in the work pants, or the grip (CT LG-105) shows from the top of the Carhartt's front pockets.

JHC
02-10-2016, 03:03 AM
Nice cold snap here so I decided to get on board. My default jacket is an Atom LT and I wouldn't expect the thin soft build of it to conceal in the pocket but the flat G42 in the DeSantis Nemesis is carried very stable and upright in the pocket and concealed very well.

Whirlwind06
02-10-2016, 12:00 PM
I had the misfortune of having to spend most of the week at wakes/funerals. Even though a huge chunk of my family are in/or retired LE, firearms in/around "safe" locations and church are definitely frowned upon. As much as I hated leaving the G19 behind, the G26 on my ankle was a comfort, and my G43 in my right front suit pocket was easily accessible at all times.

Again, for me, pocket carry is a VERY limited exercise, but when you need it, you need it, and most "real" pistols can't be pressed into that role.

I was in the a similar situation last week. I pocket carried my Beretta Pico (.380) it's very flat and carries well in dress pants.

UNK
02-19-2016, 09:43 PM
Nice holster. Who makes it?

What kind of pants do you use to hide a G26? Did you have to modify the pocket any?

CakeEater
02-20-2016, 12:14 PM
Appalachained,

Is that a Detroit Holster John R? I've been eyeballing one for a bit and they have them on sale. Brian B: If you check out the vault at Detroit Holster I believe they have some that are discounted/available now.

http://www.detroitholster.com/store/product/john-r/#prettyPhoto

tanner
02-20-2016, 08:39 PM
...Is that a Detroit Holster John R?...

The owner of that company has been a friend of mine for 20+ years. He is a good guy, if you have any customer service issues let me know and I'll smack him upside the head for you.

mtnbkr
02-21-2016, 09:58 AM
Buy the .327 Fed Mag, either Ruger or Smith, and load it with some heavy-for-caliber .32 H&R Magnum stuff. (In other words, for best results avoid Federal's 85gr JHP load and the anemic Critical Defense stuff from Hornady.)

A bit late to the discussion, but I have a Mihec brass mould for 32 that drops beautiful 115gr HP slugs (swapping to the non-HP pins gives me something along the lines of 120gr). That would be nice in the 32HRMag or the 327Fed. :)

Chris

TheNewbie
02-23-2016, 12:38 AM
When pocket carrying, do you ever find that you pistol is pointed at other people? I mean while holstered and while sitting.....

If that questions even makes sense.

Cookie Monster
02-23-2016, 02:07 AM
When pocket carrying, do you ever find that you pistol is pointed at other people? I mean while holstered and while sitting.....

Yes and Yes.

Mr_White
02-23-2016, 04:46 PM

Sure, but that is why guns unable to fire without pulling the trigger have to be combined with holsters that cover the trigger guard, in order to carry them safely and efficiently in condition one. No different from a belt holstered gun when bending over (making the muzzle horizontal instead of down) or a line of prone rifle shooters wearing holstered handguns, with instructors or whomever behind them.

TheNewbie
02-23-2016, 07:47 PM
I tend to over think. It's a blessing and a curse.

JHC
02-23-2016, 07:57 PM

Better than under thinking!

Drang
02-23-2016, 08:02 PM

Better than under thinking!

Maybe not: Gut Feelings: The Intelligence of the Unconscious Reprint, Gerd Gigerenzer - AmazonSmile (http://www.amazon.com/Gut-Feelings-Intelligence-Gerd-Gigerenzer-ebook/dp/B000TO0T8U/)

AmazonSmile: Blink: The Power of Thinking Without Thinking eBook: Malcolm Gladwell: Kindle Store (http://www.amazon.com/Blink-The-Power-Thinking-Without-ebook/dp/B000PAAH3K/)

JustOneGun
02-23-2016, 09:17 PM
Maybe not: Gut Feelings: The Intelligence of the Unconscious Reprint, Gerd Gigerenzer - AmazonSmile (http://www.amazon.com/Gut-Feelings-Intelligence-Gerd-Gigerenzer-ebook/dp/B000TO0T8U/)

AmazonSmile: Blink: The Power of Thinking Without Thinking eBook: Malcolm Gladwell: Kindle Store (http://www.amazon.com/Blink-The-Power-Thinking-Without-ebook/dp/B000PAAH3K/)

Believe it or not my wannabe geek brain has thought a lot about this. The answer is not an either or. It's both. Acting like a 4 year old who keeps saying, "But why" until there is no more why is actually a good thing. The worst that will happen is you wasted a little time on a thought experiment. The worst that can happen if you don't take the time is that you believed something that was not true or you took something that was true and put it into the wrong context and the end result was up to but not limited to being dead.

As to Newbie's sentiment, I understand that asking why so much can make people want to punch their eyes out with the nearest number 2 pencil. (Do you twenty somethings even know what a #2 is?) But never-the-less not doing it has a certain amount of gambling. Where the long but sometimes annoying road leads to proper context more times than not for those willing to listen to the answers.

For me it's the only way to answer the questions without being a respecter of person. The reason I am not a respecter or person is that #1, I've been full of shit plenty of times in my life. And thank god somebody took the time to mention that to me that I was in fact full of it. #2, I have found that some of the best police officers, special forces, instructors, etc are sometimes just plain full of shit. We are human and sometimes/often times it happens.

Wow, deep thoughts from Jack Handy. LOL. Well it is my weekend. Time for a decent glass of wine. Cheers boys and girls.

Tamara
02-26-2016, 08:05 AM

No, it's usually pointed at my own femoral artery, which is why I won't pocket carry a single-action firearm. :o

UNK
08-27-2016, 09:01 PM
I typically have a J frame in my pants pocket along with my primary pistol.

your pockets must be cavernous :p

UNK
08-27-2016, 10:20 PM
What do you mean one thickness of leather?

Edster
08-27-2016, 10:45 PM
For my size, build, and most of my pants, pocket carry usually creates an obvious bulge. I don't wear jackets often.

UNK
08-28-2016, 07:17 AM
The particular brands that you wear and specifically which models would be much more helpful. Mountain Khakis Deluth and Wrangler Riggs have been mentioned in a thread specifically for pocket carry. https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?15295-What-trousers-or-shorts-for-Men-s-pocket-carry&p=301674&viewfull=1#post301674

Cargo Shorts in the summer and "work khaki's" in the winter. Fits fine with enough room to get a full grip on the gun before pulling it out of pocket. Doesn't work with dress khakis or jeans. I have a smaller gun I carry when I have to wear one of those which is almost never.