PDA

View Full Version : Platform

Jay Cunningham
03-01-2011, 09:04 AM
What does the word "platform" mean to you when referring to firearms? What makes something a "platform"? What are the characteristics of a "platform"? Are some firearms "platforms" and others not? Is it simply interchangeable lingo for a firearm? Or is there a defining characteristic that makes a firearm a "platform"?

beltjones
03-01-2011, 09:15 AM
If I had to take a stab at this one, I'd say it's a common receiver that will accept different configurations of calibers, barrels, etc without excessive modification.

Examples would be an AR-15, the Glock, and so on.

However, this is one of those "tacticool" terms that I refuse to use. I also refuse to say "running," as in, "I'm running this trigger, I'm running that optic, I'm running this sling, I'm running these boots..." and so on. Oh yeah, and "weapon(s) system." I won't say that either. Basically if they say it more than 25 times on a Magpul instructional DVD I remove it from my vocabulary in anticipation of hearing it ad nauseum on the range.

orionz06
03-01-2011, 09:19 AM
I think it is similar to a weapons system.

Jay Cunningham
03-01-2011, 09:25 AM
Full disclosure: I'm inclined to make fun of this term, but instead of simply writing it off I'm going to make an honest attempt to see if I'm the one that needs the attitude adjustment. So I'm open to convincing.

I can make the case that the AR-15 family, the SCAR, the ACR, etc. can be platforms. Certain models of Glock can be platforms insomuch as (in theory) you can change barrels and magazines and shoot different calibers on the same frame.

I do not consider the AK-47 family a platform, nor do I consider the 1911 pistol family a platform.

SouthNarc
03-01-2011, 09:38 AM
Platform in my mind is a base that supports other things. The connotation of the word is modularity and adaptability.

I agree with beltjones. I won't use it either.

YVK
03-01-2011, 09:42 AM
I tend to use the term when talking about weapons in comparative terms, where weapons of the same general category are different enough that they put different demands on me. Such as, they are different platforms, better suited to build different parts of my skillset on.
You're right, Jay, though; the term is meaningless enough to deserve to be made fun of.

orionz06
03-01-2011, 09:50 AM
Both words/phrases seem to be something that everyone knows so they just get used, but I also think it is something that people will use to try to sound like they know something. In other hobbies (where people still take themselves too seriously) there are also similar words/phrases that people pick up on and run with.

I also believe there can be some salesmanship going along with the buzzwords and phrases.

Cowtown44
03-01-2011, 09:54 AM
I tend to think of a platform as a absolutely stripped down version of anything that has acceptable function but could be markedly improved by adding things. Platforms get you into the market so people can sell you expensive stuff to put on the platform.

Unfortunately, this term is overused in many fields and, perhaps, should be nominated for exclusion from the vocabulary.

I work in the medical field and it's incredibly burdensome to hear it day-after-day. And, they use the term "running" too. Examples:

"What imaging platform are you running?"

"What endoscopy platform are you running?"

"What fixation platform are you running?"

Makes me want to start running for a platform to jump off of.

VolGrad
03-01-2011, 11:33 AM
Basically if they say it more than 25 times on a Magpul instructional DVD I remove it from my vocabulary in anticipation of hearing it ad nauseum on the range.
So you don't, "Set yourself up for success."? :p

ToddG
03-01-2011, 11:36 AM
While I don't think I use the term often, to be honest it's not on my radar. I know what it means and understand others when they use it. It's not in the "tacticool" lexicon for me. Weapons platform, weapons family... heck, I say "1911-pattern pistol" all the time. Same same.

jslaker
03-01-2011, 12:41 PM
Unfortunately, this term is overused in many fields and, perhaps, should be nominated for exclusion from the vocabulary.

I actually think this may be why it doesn't bother me at all. Working in IT, thinking in terms of platforms is pretty natural. Windows is a platform. The Macintosh is a platform. Etc.

While I don't think I use the term often, to be honest it's not on my radar. I know what it means and understand others when they use it. It's not in the "tacticool" lexicon for me. Weapons platform, weapons family... heck, I say "1911-pattern pistol" all the time. Same same.

I actually make a distinction between platform and family, albeit arbitrarily. To me, a platform is a common action and receiver where training from one configuration should transfer directly to another within the same platform.

I'd think of the AR-15 as a platform. Glock pistols within the same caliber strike me as a platform. On the other hand, I think of HK pistols as being within the same family since everything since the USP shares the same common action, but the individual models are distinct enough that I don't think they're interchangeable enough to call a single platform.

Like I said, the distinction is largely arbitrary, but it makes sense to me.

JV_
03-01-2011, 01:02 PM
I actually think this may be why it doesn't bother me at all. Working in IT, thinking in terms of platforms is pretty natural. Windows is a platform. The Macintosh is a platform. Etc.Operating Systems are actually listed as part of the definition of "platform".
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/platform

orionz06
03-01-2011, 01:03 PM
Makes me want to start running for a platform to jump off of.

I agree.

jslaker
03-01-2011, 01:43 PM
Operating Systems are actually listed as part of the definition of "platform".
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/platform

I don't like relying on dictionary definitions for niche field terminology. Using the word platform to describe .NET is completely accurate, for example, and it's definitely not an operating system. Same goes for firearms.

JV_
03-01-2011, 01:49 PM
I don't like relying on dictionary definitions for niche field terminology.Nor do I, my intention was to show how these adapted terms are working their way in to the normal world definitions.

Red Leader
03-02-2011, 02:05 AM
Hmm, well if I use the word 'platform' in reference to a firearm it is usually a specific type of design that designates it as slightly different from another.

I had no idea that the word has any sort of 'tacticool' meaning. What does that even encompass? I think the word 'tacticool' bothers me more than 'platform' ;)

I try not to worry about these things too much:)

TCinVA
03-02-2011, 08:14 AM
It's probably a bleed-over from the technology world where operating systems are not infrequently referred to as "platforms". The term "windows platform" is a generic way to refer to the umpteen variations of windows and the wide range of hardware that supports them.

A weapons "system" never seemed to work as a descriptor because when I hear the term I think of what a "system" actually is...a set of carefully designed pieces that form an integrated whole. A handgun is not a weapons "system", nor is a family of handguns a weapons "system".

The term "family" would be appropriate when discussing a similar series of weapons manufactured by the same company, but doesn't really work beyond that unless you're discussing weapons like the AR family, AK family, etc.

One may be able to argue that the term "platform" is inelegant, but it seems to have come into use because it works as a means of communicating a concept for a lot of people. Many may not even understand why it works, but despite that they understand what is being communicated.

Remember that you're living in a world where "spam" used to be a brand name for a processed meat product and "google" didn't exist as a verb. We can do the Waldorf and Statler routine about the terms but it isn't going to change the tides. Frankly if we had that power I think it would be much better spent eliminating inappropriate uses of the word "like", which has somehow transformed into a replacement for the comma.

jslaker
03-02-2011, 08:31 AM
Frankly if we had that power I think it would be much better spent eliminating inappropriate uses of the word "like", which has somehow transformed into a replacement for the comma.

Or, if we're staying in the realm of firearms, making everyone use the terms "clip" and "magazine" correctly. :p

Jay Cunningham
09-18-2016, 09:10 AM
2016 Post-PFestivus Necro Bump!

Arbninftry
09-18-2016, 09:45 AM
2016 Post-PFestivus Necro Bump!

You are busy this morning, this is the second necro you brought back to life. However, they are both positive, seeing how Pfestivus is going.