PDA

View Full Version : Coroner: Woman mauled by grizzly died from gunshot wound

HCM
01-02-2016, 02:37 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2015/12/24/americas/can-grizzly-attack/index.html

Coroner: Woman mauled by grizzly died from gunshot wound

[QUOTE]["A bullet meant for the bear struck a tree branch and deflected from the anticipated path and trajectory," Yukon Chief Coroner Kirsten Macdonald said in the report. "The bullet struck Ms. Huber in the chest, causing death."
/QUOTE]

Condolences to Ms. Huber's family, particularly her husband.

This contains potential lessons on several topics including:

Bear Defense
"Hostage Rescue Shots"
Why getting closer and contact shots can be a good thing

It also raises a question for me. In my LE career I've seen bullets do funny things after passing through solid barriers, particularly vehicles. However, my youth, I heard many times about how heavier were superior for east coast hunting in heavy cover because they were "brush busters". Is there any truth in this old hunting tale ?

Malamute
01-02-2016, 03:26 PM
It also raises a question for me. In my LE career I've seen bullets do funny things after passing through solid barriers, particularly vehicles. However, my youth, I heard many times about how heavier were superior for east coast hunting in heavy cover because they were "brush busters". Is there any truth in this old hunting tale ?

The tests attempted to show brush deflection that I've seen seemed pretty all over the map. In one, the best load for staying straight was a 150 gr 270 load. Other, heavier slower loads deflected some, (I believe even 500 gr 458 Win Mag) about the opposite of whats generally expected. I've come to the conclusion that a shot may get through intervening brush or sticks and braches, but I wouldn't bet money on it. If it were a life or death matter, then it may be worth the chance. I think I'd try for a clear shot if I could if it were life or death matter.

okie john
01-02-2016, 05:37 PM
However, my youth, I heard many times about how heavier were superior for east coast hunting in heavy cover because they were "brush busters". Is there any truth in this old hunting tale ?

I've seen the results of a number of tests over the years. They're anecdotal at best. The only thing they had in common was that the closer the target was to the deflecting branch, the less the deflection.

Okie John

Chuck Haggard
01-02-2016, 05:52 PM
Having seen .50BMG bullets deflect off of tree limbs and such I think the big bullet theory is a myth.

IMHO the best way to make a hostage rescue shot is with the muzzle right up on the bad guy, or in this case the bear.

Tamara
01-02-2016, 05:55 PM
Having seen .50BMG bullets deflect of of tree limbs and such I think the big bullet theory is a myth.

This. Building a "brush box" will rapidly disabuse one of the idea of "brush-bustin'" chamberings.

Glenn E. Meyer
01-02-2016, 06:03 PM
Took an Insights class and Greg Hamilton said the USGS (IIRC) would teach folks that if your partner was being mauled you should run up and put the gun (12 gauge) behind the should and just empty it into the bear. They had trouble with folks who wouldn't shoot because they feared hitting the person being mauled. I asked if anyone has done this yet - Greg said No. But this was quite a few years ago.

Wheeler
01-02-2016, 06:25 PM
It takes a lot of cojones to run up to contact distance with a bear in the middle of a perfectly good mauling. Especially with all the blood curdling screaming going on.

okie john
01-02-2016, 06:54 PM
It takes a lot of cojones to run up to contact distance with a bear in the middle of a perfectly good mauling. Especially with all the blood curdling screaming going on.

That depends on your bucket list....

Okie John

SLG
01-02-2016, 07:11 PM
Agree on the variety of deflection that can occur with any bullet. I have seen some anecdotal evidence to suggest that heavier, slower bullets deflect off branches "less". 50BMG, as an example, is heavy, but fast. 45-70 405 gr at 1300 is slow, relatively.

Wouldn't want to bet on any of it. branch thickness, angle, bullet shape, etc...

JHC
01-02-2016, 07:54 PM
The man fired numerous shots. How might the coroner know the fatal shot deflected off a branch; versus an unfortunate miss?

Wheeler
01-02-2016, 09:30 PM
The man fired numerous shots. How might the coroner know the fatal shot deflected off a branch; versus an unfortunate miss?

At a guess, bullet deformation?