PDA

View Full Version : CC Pistol question

rigger7
01-01-2016, 04:46 AM
Maybe you guys can help me out, I currently own a Beretta 92A1 and a 92G Centurion with a full sized grip. My thought at the time of purchasing both guns is that I would be able to CC the Centurion so far I have tried to conceal it in a Smart Carry but it still seems to print like crazy. I have positioned the pistol in various spots on my person 4 o'clock and 1 o'clock while tucking in my shirt (collared button down) and it would appear that the pistol still prints, is there a best way to conceal one these that I'm not aware of? I'm also realizing that the weight of the Centurion could be an issue in the future.
I shoot both of these pistols really well and I prefer hammer fired SA/DA over DAO, I have tried various single stack 9mm's DAO and to be honest I really suck with them.
Should I be considering ditching my 92 platform and trying a poly DA/SA platform?
I only have room for 2 pistols in my budget so just going out and buying another really is not an option for me, on the plus side I do have a LGS that has an abundance of pistols to rent.
Not sure if this matters I'm 5'11 195lbs.
Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

YVK
01-01-2016, 05:15 AM
Concealment of 92 Berettas is a sore spot 'cause I like to shoot them and don't like to carry them. The whole timmy - gamey dilemma for me right there. Your Cent has a barrel /slide length comparable to Glock 17, it weighs some 34 oz empty and has a full sized grip. In two words, big and heavy. There is not much way around it and I can't even imagine Smart carrying it. I find them conceal fairly well in an appendix carry when fitted with a D hammer. If grip length is an issue, you can try to trade one of yours for a Compact 92. I use flat steel baseplate on my carry mag, that helps some. Beyond that, different gun. FWIW, I don't find full size Beretta grip that long, in a relative sense, so if you can't hide it, you probably need to be looking at subcompact plastic like P2000sk and it won't be as shootable as B92s. Good luck.

deputyG23
01-01-2016, 07:21 AM
We are roughly the same size. I carried a full size Glock for many years in pancake OWB holsters and leather IWB rigs with varying degrees of comfort. When I finally bought and started using a belt designed to carry a decent size pistol, the comfort level greatly increased. Best $$ I have spent. A waist carried handgun of any size will require dressing around it. I conceal a Glock 22 with a pullover shirt or sweater and have it on anytime I have pants on. Don't forget at least one extra mag on your person.
I own a 92 compact from the '80s and it is a reliable, accurate pistol. Never CC'd it since I have lots more trigger time on the Austrian Tupperware..

JAD
01-01-2016, 07:29 AM
Are you trying to conceal with a tucked-in shirt -- is that the idea behind the Smart Carry?

camsdaddy
01-01-2016, 08:09 AM
When I carry larger guns in a smart carry i find it easier if the grip is inline with the belt or above it.

rigger7
01-01-2016, 08:57 AM
Are you trying to conceal with a tucked-in shirt -- is that the idea behind the Smart Carry?

Yes

rigger7
01-01-2016, 08:58 AM

Yes

Clay
01-01-2016, 11:26 AM
The key with Smartcarry is the pants you are wearing. If pants are too low cut, or too tight in the crotch area then they won't work well with Smartcarry.

I carry a 92FS, and I would say that it might be too big for a tuckable holster. I've tried a bunch of the tuckable holsters with different guns and I've never been too pleased with any of them. The Comp-Tac MTAC was probably the best of them, FWIW.

Appendix carry doesn't work for me so I use a Kramer #2 IWB at 3:30 when carrying my 92FS. I love the Berettas, but when carrying in a NPE I roll with a S&W 442 in a Galco Ankle Glove, or a S&W Shield or Glock 26 in a Smartcarry rig.

ranger
01-01-2016, 01:18 PM
If you like TDA but want lighter, maybe change to the CZ P09 and P07? Conceal carry the P07 and use the P09 when the full size pistol is more appropriate.

olstyn
01-01-2016, 01:57 PM
There's actually a decent selection of high-quality, lightweight/compact DA/SA guns out there. The Walther P99/P99c would also be a reasonable way to go. Same deal as the CZs, really. The P99 is basically a less blocky G19-sized gun that's DA/SA, and the P99c is the G26-sized version. The SIG 2022 is a similar option, as well, albeit IIRC there's only one size of that one. All of those guns have a reputation for having good triggers, too.

That Guy
01-10-2016, 06:14 PM
The P99 is basically a less blocky G19-sized gun

A P99 is actually about the same size as a G17. I know, it looks a lot smaller, but compare the two side by side and you'll see.