PDA

View Full Version : The magic bullet to LE misconduct is a blank .....

41magfan
12-29-2015, 08:33 AM
I have no words ......

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/opinion/commentary/ct-bullet-police-laquan-mcdonald-perspec-1126-20151126-story.html

Chance
12-29-2015, 08:50 AM
I can't seem to get past the paywall. Could you summarize?

41magfan
12-29-2015, 08:57 AM
I can't seem to get past the paywall. Could you summarize?

This is the first line ....

"Imagine if the first bullet in a cop's chamber were a blank bullet. Would this approach save lives?"

KeeFus
12-29-2015, 09:16 AM
This is the first line ....

"Imagine if the first bullet in a cop's chamber were a blank bullet. Would this approach save lives?"

And somewhere a LE admin person (or a wanna be admin person) just came up with a new and wonderful idea.

Glad I read the whole damn article.

voodoo_man
12-29-2015, 09:30 AM
First off, anything from any chicago rag is stupid and pointless.

Second, only a fucking idiot would write that and only a bigger fucking idiot would think its valid.

Drang
12-29-2015, 10:52 AM
The "Google The Title" method of avoiding the paywall that works with the Wall Street Journal seems to work with the Chicago Tribune.

Commentary: Is there a magic bullet to reduce police misconduct?
FWIW, this thing is a little over a month old.

Imagine if the first bullet in a cop's chamber were a blank bullet. Would this approach save lives?

What if a police department adopted this approach as standard procedure. Or, better yet, if legislation mandated this requirement for state and local police departments. Would it help save lives?

Police in Britain, Ireland, Norway, Iceland and New Zealand typically do not carry weapons at all when they are patrolling the streets. Surely, crimes in those countries are no less threatening than what we experience in the U.S.

The idea is not to ban guns from the police departments here. Rather, it is to require that the first bullet in the chamber not be a live bullet.
Arthur Acevedo, Associate Professor at John Marshall Law School, seems to be getting beat up on Twitter and elsewhere.

LSP552
12-29-2015, 10:57 AM
Words can't convey my thoughts about the idiot who wrote that.

Glenn E. Meyer
12-29-2015, 11:15 AM
I have an old handgun book that describes the loads in Dutch 1900's police revolvers. I think it was the origin of the term 'Dutch Load'.

It went something like this. A blank, a tear gas round, a rubber ball or wooden ball, then a real lead bullet.

I was in Cabela's. A guy was buying a pump shotgun. I was close enough to listen. He said he wanted the pump because racking would scare away the BG. Then he wanted to buy blanks in case the racking didn't work. The clerk also suggested some rubber buck shot. I had to say something and the buyer gave me a look to kill as did the clerk.

I think it was because the buyer was with his female companion. I made him loose dominance and maybe she wouldn't let him buy a gun that actually went BOOM - You're dead.

From that, I learned not to give unwanted advice.

Nephrology
12-29-2015, 11:25 AM
There simply isn't a hand big enough, or a slap hard enough, to knock sense into the author of this utter nonsense.

Sal Picante
12-29-2015, 11:49 AM
There simply isn't a hand big enough, or a slap hard enough, to knock sense into the author of this utter nonsense.

Welcome to Chicago.

It's all a dog and pony show, really... Nothing will change.

Totem Polar
12-29-2015, 12:27 PM
Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to the derp side.

Seriously, that whole article is terrible. Someone who thinks/reasons like that shouldn't be allowed near a law school.

Robinson
12-29-2015, 12:43 PM
Imagine if people stopped engaging in criminal behavior. Would this approach save lives?

TiroFijo
12-29-2015, 01:03 PM
Seriously, that whole article is terrible. Someone who thinks/reasons like that shouldn't be allowed near a law school.

In the legal profession there is no requisite to actually KNOW about the issue at hand to write rules/laws, much less pontificate about things.
I have many lawyer friends with no firearms/shooting/martial arts/self defense knowledge whatsoever that routinely try to school me on the finer points of this and that... :rolleyes:

Drang
12-29-2015, 01:05 PM
My eyes glazed over before I got to that point.

Now I need to go do the New York Times Crossword Puzzle for a month of Saturdays to wash the dumbs from my head.

Totem Polar
12-29-2015, 01:18 PM
Indeed it does. Had I not done that I wouldn't have learned this:

That Michael Brown quote jumped out as a high point for me as well. Talk about some epic fucking projecting.

Kukuforguns
12-29-2015, 01:22 PM
Second, only a fucking idiot would write that and only a bigger fucking idiot would think its valid.

So, roughly 20% of the U.S. then.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

pablo
12-29-2015, 02:29 PM
I enjoy irony.

Loading a blank round first would just mentally prepare officers to pull the trigger more. "First one is a dud, just got to work through it."

One of the few things the mainstream media does better than demonizing cops, is dehumanizing blacks and making them look like a bunch of savages. The image portrayed is a community that doesn't care that blacks are killing each other by the bus load, celebrates that lives of hard core criminals, riots and loots, and disrupts the lives of working class people by sitting on freeways. When black crime starts to really become a white people problem, there aren't going to be many questions asked about how the police do their jobs. The animals got out of the zoo and they need to be put back in there cages. Most of these media types are so busy running roughshod over decent blacks to vilify the police, they don't realize how much worse they are going to make life for the people they are supposedly defending.

olstyn
12-29-2015, 02:49 PM
Loading a blank round first would just mentally prepare officers to pull the trigger more. "First one is a dud, just got to work through it."

They'd actually drill to just rack the slide/eject the blank first, since if they fired the blank, they'd have a high likelihood of having to clear a malfunction anyway - blanks often don't properly cycle unmodified semi-autos. Of course, that doesn't even get into the whole "gun = deadly force even if you never pull the trigger" idea.

Dagga Boy
12-29-2015, 02:52 PM
I think its a great idea. We can start a test program with Rahm Emmanual's security detail. And I would start with ALL blanks, because if one is good, more is better. We can then move to Secret Service and other security details for politicians and the President.

LockedBreech
12-29-2015, 02:59 PM
Speaking as a lawyer...

LORD do I hate lawyers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wondering Beard
12-29-2015, 04:47 PM
Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to the derp side.

I used to think that only first year law students could come up with something as ridiculous that. I certainly thought useless stuff when I was a first year (any law school grad here can remember when we all looked at anything and tried to figure out if it was actionable). By the time I graduated (over a decade ago -I started it late), the derp hadn't stopped.

SeriousStudent
12-29-2015, 08:16 PM
I think its a great idea. We can start a test program with Rahm Emmanual's security detail. And I would start with ALL blanks, because if one is good, more is better. We can then move to Secret Service and other security details for politicians and the President.

Beat me to it. And they should all have electric cars, to help protect Mother Earth.

BaiHu
12-29-2015, 11:00 PM
Beat me to it. And they should all have electric cars, to help protect Mother Earth.

And only kale chips for food...

B0308
12-29-2015, 11:18 PM
In a commentary hyper-loaded with stupid, this line near the end takes the prize!

"An independent federal investigation is needed — and should be led by an investigator who is free from political influence and who...."

Yup, this Admins. DoJ is just loaded with competent investigators who are "free from political influence."

HCM
12-30-2015, 02:12 AM
THE ANSWER - Tactical Glitter

http://youtu.be/lDUEbfSilBo

Glenn E. Meyer
12-30-2015, 10:26 AM
Obvious solution is to move to SAA Colts with the blank under the hammer. Oh?

Rahm - watching him emote is watch someone without true emotions. Who believes that he cares about much beyond Rahm?

stingray
12-30-2015, 11:13 AM
I am surprised any news paper would openly advocate the violation of civil rights.

Glenn E. Meyer
12-30-2015, 11:25 AM
Oh, you mean like so many urban newspapers that advocate the abolishment or draconian curtailment of the 2nd Amend. ? Or an entire political party that wants a candidate who proposes mandatory buybacks?

pablo
12-30-2015, 01:39 PM
THE ANSWER - Tactical Glitter

http://youtu.be/lDUEbfSilBo

Bad, bad, bad idea. Clearly invented by someone that doesn't know women.

One night I arrest this stripper for DWI. She wants to fight, that wasn't a big deal, but as result I got covered in ho dust (glitter) and cheap perfume. I get home late, because of the arrest, and my wife gets one look at me and a whiff of the perfume, and she instantly makes a decision about what I had been up to. It was not good. I even tried text book verbal judo, "is there anything I can say or do to convince you that I did not get go to strip club and get a lap dance, in uniform before coming home?" It took a couple days for that one to blow over.

I'm sure one day before I that time that I was a total asshole and went to the strip club, after work, in uniform, and got a lap dance, will be brought in conversation.

Compared to some of my the women my coworkers associate with, my wife is fairly stable. There will be guys that have to choose between life in prison for executing a suspect and going home with incidental glitter on them, and won't hesitate to choose prison. Explaining glitter is right up there with trying to explain gonorrhea from a toilet seat.

stingray
12-30-2015, 04:22 PM
Oh, you mean like so many urban newspapers that advocate the abolishment or draconian curtailment of the 2nd Amend. ? Or an entire political party that wants a candidate who proposes mandatory buybacks?

Besides that, the proposed excessive use of force.