PDA

View Full Version : PM9 pocket holster with covered and reinforced magazine release

Andy T
12-28-2015, 11:30 PM
I usually pocket carry my PM9 in Desantis Nemesis holster. Today, I discovered that the magazine was no longer secured in the grip - indicating the mag release was depressed at some point.
Are there any pocket holsters - possibly kydex that cover the magazine release and are secure enough to prevent accidental engagement?

JodyH
12-29-2015, 11:34 AM
Any holster that covers the mag release will be very difficult to get a grip on the gun for the draw.
I've found the best way to prevent accidental magazine releases in PM9s is to replace the magazine release spring at the first signs of it softening up and carefully select your carry magazine.
The magazine release spring is very similar to a Glock, in fact you can use a Glock spring (which tends to be a better spring) by trimming the length about 1/8".
I will sort through my magazines and find the ones that do NOT drop free, then out of those I'll carry the one that fits the tightest in the magwell.
There isn't a lot of engagement between the mag release and the magazine body on Kahr's and any slop between the mag well and the magazine body will make the release extremely sensitive.
I stack all the tolerances in favor of keeping the primary magazine in place over reload ease.

Eli
12-30-2015, 02:56 AM
I stack all the tolerances in favor of keeping the primary magazine in place over reload ease.

Which is why when I carried an LCP as a pocket BUG (after finding the magazine loose a few times), I ground the mag release off flush with the grip. It did make reloading the gun a bit more difficult, but since I don't carry a reload for the BUG anyway......kinda a moot point.