PDA

View Full Version : G19 G4 (test fire date 2-28-15) BTF and weak ejection

LockedBreech
12-28-2015, 07:33 PM
Took three new, unfired guns to the range today. Was a much shorter session than I preferred since it was blisteringly cold, but I was able to get about 150 rounds each through the new G19G4, the new P220, and the new M&P40. Just to get shocked gasps of disapproval, this was my first time at the range in 6-7 months. I performed decently but shot consistently low and left, which is my usual "you're out of practice, jerk" symptom.

The good news is that everything cycled without any stoppages, but while watching a friend fire the G19 versus him firing the P220, the brass was, for lack of a better word, "dribbling" out of the G19, which I suppose it what is meant by weak ejection. Sometimes it looked like it barely cleared the slide, and it was chucking it 5 to 6 o' clock.

The P220, by contract, chucked its brass very strongly and consistently to the 4 o' clock.

The M&P 40 I have no idea, I was so cold by then that it was a function test only, but it definitely tossed it further than the G19 and none of it came rearward.

Ammo was 50 rounds of Speer Gold Dot 124 +p and 100 of Winchester White Box 9mm NATO, so not powderpuff loads.

So, I suppose I'm asking what is the conventional wisdom here? Keep shooting it until it's an cycling issue? Send it in? The problem is that I want to put this gun in the carry rotation as a regular because I love the size, grip, weight, capacity, etc., but that ejection pattern was not confidence inspiring.

Edit: So that this isn't completely a complaining thread, I should give the P220 appropriate accolades for being outstanding right out of the box. Shot with excellent accuracy despite my atrophied skills and was very comfortable. It's my first owned .45 and I am happy with my decision.

ydennekb
12-28-2015, 10:42 PM
I'm not a professional but this has worked for me: If the ejection is weak, erratic, etc., do the Apex mods as suggested on his sight. This has cured all 4 Glock 9mm's I've owned with ejection issues.

ssb
12-29-2015, 09:56 AM
As I recall, the conventional wisdom was as follows:

1) Try the White Sound HRED and OEM extractor.
2) If above does not work, add an APEX extractor.

ralph
12-29-2015, 10:31 AM
I've had mixed results with the HRED, however, the Apex extractor pretty much fixed my G19. In my case though I ended up installing a Gen3 Apex extractor in a Gen4 gun.. This was done on Apex's recommendation.. The Gen4 extractor wasn't quite doing the job, and when I E-mailed Apex and asked what was going on, this was their suggestion. They even mailed me a gen 3 extractor to try, on the condition that I send them my Gen 4 extractor.. Well, it worked! By all means get a Apex extractor and try it out. if it doesn't quite work, call Apex, they'll help. They'll do more for you than Glock will...

LittleLebowski
12-29-2015, 10:37 AM
As I recall, the conventional wisdom was as follows:

1) Try the White Sound HRED and OEM extractor.
2) If above does not work, add an APEX extractor.

Yes. Also add "lightly polish horizontal surfaces of OEM extractor" to Step 1 and "install 30274 ejector" to Step 1.

naza2004
12-29-2015, 10:43 AM
I used Apex extractors in a Gen 3 G17 and Gen 4 G19 both worked very well. As already stated follow instructions particularly with respect to the pad on the extractor. For each pistol I had to file material off for proper function. For the G17 I pretty much had to file it down completely but you pistols will vary. Good Luck!

LockedBreech
12-29-2015, 10:50 AM
Thanks all, looks like I'll be giving Apex a call.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pew_pew
12-29-2015, 10:39 PM
It doesn't need a new extractor. Just needs to be broken in. I've had 5 or so gen 4's that ALL had weak ejection until broken in. Absolutely nothing wrong with the extractor. The issue is the recoil spring that's very stiff. So either break it in or buy a weaker recoil spring.

23JAZ
12-29-2015, 10:44 PM
It doesn't need a new extractor. Just needs to be broken in. I've had 5 or so gen 4's that ALL had weak ejection until broken in. Absolutely nothing wrong with the extractor. The issue is the recoil spring that's very stiff.
This^ 10k rounds and mine ejects like a champ!

HCM
12-29-2015, 10:45 PM
It doesn't need a new extractor. Just needs to be broken in. I've had 5 or so gen 4's that ALL had weak ejection until broken in. Absolutely nothing wrong with the extractor. The issue is the recoil spring that's very stiff. So either break it in or buy a weaker recoil spring.

???? Uh, no.

How does that explain the. Gen 4 guns which don't start BTF and FTE until 5k to 10 K rounds ?

In fact I have one right now. My agency approved personally owned gen 4 Glock 17 began BTF at about 7k rounds which eventually turned into failures to eject by about 8k. The gun already has the 30274 ejector.

Gun was purchased new in January, 2012. Up until the 7k mark the gun ran 100% with everything from +P Gold Dot to Tula steel case.

After 4 FTE, including two with Winchester Ranger 147 grain and two with mag tech and Aguila 115 grain FMJ, I detail stripped the gun, cleaned it and installed a new RSA. The result ? More BTF and another FTE.

LL may be onto something re polishing the horizontal surfaces of the extractor . I noticed the extractor was very difficult to remove. I initially thought it was the fouling but even after cleaning it was difficult to install and remove.

LockedBreech
12-29-2015, 10:53 PM
Was PMing back and forth with a PF member on the topic and realized I might be being hasty. I bought 1,100 rounds (1000 WWB 9mm NATO and 100 Gold Dots) to break in the gun and I'm only 150 in. I might keep shooting my supply and figure out if it's an issue that actually bears on reliability or if it's just a teething/early issue. If it just ejects annoyingly that's fine, I'm only concerned about it becoming a cycling issue.

LockedBreech
12-29-2015, 10:56 PM
This is off topic but since it's my own thread is there any way to re-up my Site Supporter thing without using Paypal?

HCM
12-29-2015, 11:45 PM
Just to add, I've seen two co-workers with recent production G26's (one Gen 3 and one Gen 4) which ran fine out of the box then began BTF and FTE between 1k and 2 k rounds. The. Gen 4 seems to be running again with a new extractor and new spring loaded bearing. The same parts swap in the Gen 3 has reduced but not eliminated the BTF and FTE.

fixer
12-30-2015, 08:13 AM
I had g23 give me BTF for the first 100-200 rounds. It went away completely after that.

I just got a Gen4 G19 that threw me a BTF in the first 50 rds but none after that. I also have an 10-2014 era Gen4 G19 that was BTF-y for the first hundred or so rounds and none after.

I have also come to expect erratic, lawn sprinkler, ejection from glocks. It just doesn't get my fur up as long as the brass makes it out of the gun.

LSP552
12-30-2015, 08:35 AM
Just to add, I've seen two co-workers with recent production G26's (one Gen 3 and one Gen 4) which ran fine out of the box then began BTF and FTE between 1k and 2 k rounds. The. Gen 4 seems to be running again with a new extractor and new spring loaded bearing. The same parts swap in the Gen 3 has reduced but not eliminated the BTF and FTE.

There are still too many of these issues floating around for my comfort level, but you don't generally hear much about G26 issues. Thanks for posting that.

HCM
12-31-2015, 09:49 PM
There are still too many of these issues floating around for my comfort level, but you don't generally hear much about G26 issues. Thanks for posting that.

I have two HRED on the way. I noticed the Apex webpage for their Gen 4 extractor they state it is not for the G26.

Here are some photos of the G17 stoppages which followed the BTF.

Sero Sed Serio
01-01-2016, 12:44 AM
I have two HRED on the way. I noticed the Apex webpage for their Gen 4 extractor they state it is not for the G26.

I've spoken to Apex about this directly, and they say that the reason that their extractors aren't recommended for the G26 is cosmetic, not performance related--apparently they may stick out a little bit in some weapons, but I haven't noticed anything unusual in the 3 Gen. 4 G26s I've installed Apex extractors in.

I just recently picked up a Z-series Gen. 4 G26 and dropped in an Apex extractor. Interestingly enough, the factory extractor was hard to get out, and when it did drop out, there I tested tension with A-Zoom snap caps...the absurdly thin rim slipped out from under the extractor, no big surprise. So I tried a Tipton snap cap I had with a thicker rip, and the snap cap failed to extract--the slide locked back, and it was just sitting there on top of the magazine. Needless to say I was less than pleased. So I dropped in a non-LCI SLB, which didn't help. Frustrated, I tried the Tipton snap in a reliable 19--it resulted in a horizontal stovepipe just by racking the slide. So I tried a live round, and it flew across the room.

I've only got 195 rounds through it live fire, but it really flung the empties with MagTech 115 gr. and 124 gr. ammo--generally around 4:00, but a couple went over my head and one bounced off the very right-hand corner of my glasses. The last 45 rounds I fired were bunny-fart 115 gr. Fiocchis, and they all ejected, but only a few inches, as compared to about 5-8 feet with the MagTech.

I'm planning to run it again this weekend, and I'll update with anything significant.

Tensaw
01-01-2016, 06:13 AM
One thing I think I am seeing pretty consistently with mine is a) weak ejection (especially as compared to non-Glocks) and b) the last round in the mag is fairly consistent in tossing the brass back toward the 12 o' clock position. The weak ejection I can live with. The 12 o' clock thing just sucks.

Nephrology
01-01-2016, 11:37 AM
My 9mm Glocks have always had weak ejection. This has never impeded function until the RSA was so clapped out that it needed replacement.

To the OP: I'd run it until you feel that the issues are making you either mistrust or not enjoy shooting your gun. I wouldn't go chicken little just yet.

HCM
01-18-2016, 12:44 PM
Just to update - a light polish on the top and bottom of the extractor and the White Sound HRED seem to have my G17 running again. Ejection is brisk with duty ammo though I still get occasional BTF with low powered 115 grain range ammo.

JHC
01-18-2016, 12:58 PM
My ten guns run well (and for a lot of rounds in many of them) with generally characteristic "lawn sprinkler" effect. There might be a couple 12:00 last round or hit my hat (or GoPro) per case But lately I noticed something peculiar. I've put a KKM G17 and G19 barrels into two guns. And darned if that barrel doesn't seem to make the ejection pattern more consistent. Kevin B observed similiar with his KKM barrel.

Sometimes it seems to me that with the consistency it's more forceful too but mostly I'm concentrating on the target stuff so I'm not dead certain of that.

But I can't recall seeing the barrel identified as a possible contributor to any of this. And if it was at all it would probably be something about the chamber eh? Couldn't be just tightness because one expects the match KKM barrel to be tighter; or so I assume. I'm totally spit ballin' here, but could a polish of the OEM barrel's chamber have an effect?

Kevin B.
01-18-2016, 04:48 PM
Concur that the KKM barrel has made ejection more consistent.