PDA

View Full Version : Flashlights as of 12/28/15

ASH556
12-28-2015, 10:46 AM
Flashlights are like computers or cell phones: there's always some newer, better, more luminous technology on the horizon. I don't care that much about having the latest and greatest, but I definitely do appreciate quality gear. Having worked part-time at a "tactical" gun shop for the last 14 years, I've been exposed to primarily Surefire and to a lesser degree Streamlight, etc. A few months back my then 2 month old son decided to see how far up his nose he could get a button. No problem, a pair of hemostats and a flashlight later all is well, right? Except that I had to grab 6 flashlights before I got one that worked. I'm also an Eagle Scout and so the "Be Prepared" thing is a personal motto as it is with most of us here at P-F. Anyway, 2 of the lights were cheap (but had always worked well for me) Mini Mag Maglites, 2 were cheap LED lights from Sams Club that, again, had worked for 2 years right up until that moment. Needless to say, this moment was a major wakeup call in my flashlight life.

I've had a 1/2 dozen or more Surefire 6P's, G2's, G2X's, etc pass through my hands in the last decade, but I don't know where they all went. Some I know I gave to family members when it was discovered that they didn't have a suitable light, but after this unfortunate button incident I rounded up all my "good" lights and found only the following three:

1EA - Surefire E2 Executive, Incandescent, 40 lumens (that's the number that sticks in my head anyway). It's a decent light, but low output and battery life. I had it in my work/laptop bag.
1EA - Surefire G2, Incandescent, 60 lumens I think, plastic camo body. This was in my hunting pack. Same thing with low output and 60 min. run time I think.
1EA - Surefire G2X Pro, LED, 15/200 lumen output. This is my go-to light that lives in my truck console or glove box. Everything from roadside repairs to deer tracking. Good light that I wouldn't mind having another one of.

Besides weaponlights (2EA - X300 ultras, 1EA - X300, 1EA - Benelli forend light) those were the only "real" flashlights I could find.

All of the guys at the shop had started carrying these little Streamlight Microstream things and they seemed decent, pretty bright, AAA batteries, good battery life, convenient, etc. So I added it to my Christmas list and now I have 4 of them. 2 are open and I'm carrying one of the 2 daily. I absolutely love this little thing and it does pretty much what I need a flashlight to do in my daily life in a small yet rugged package.
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41gqr2NOgLL.jpg

What I'm debating now is whether to keep the 2 unopened Streamlights or return/swap them for maybe another G2X Pro or some other larger, higher-output light to keep on the nightstand for power outages, etc. I currently have the second Streamlight Micro on the nightstand, but don't feel it's quite enough for what I want in a bump-in-the-night light. Am I on the right track with the Surefire G2X or should I look at something else? I like the dual-output for the one I keep in the truck (don't need 200 lumens to read a map, etc) but wonder if maybe a single output would be better for Home.

Thanks for any and all feedback!

RJ
12-28-2015, 11:07 AM
I can't pass by a flashlight thread...

I think 4 years ago when I got married, my wife asked me to thin out the herd. I believe I counted 27...Used to have a few Surefire E2O incandescent, but sold those on. Got kinda hot. Three dive lights by Pelican, few Mag lights, etc. etc.

I like the new LED lights, particularly the Streamlight Polytacs. I have one of these in the truck:

http://www.amazon.com/Streamlight-88853-Yellow-Poly-Flashlight/dp/B002P44SDY/ref=pd_sim_469_4?ie=UTF8&dpID=41UrChydQcL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=0M0VPWT3SQPM4BED22TW

Seems to me they are are useful as a Surefire G2, and only $40, good value. I also like a good mini 3xAAA headlight dog walking...usually grab one of my Petzl's...

Thanks for the tip on the micro Streamlight...be interested in the responses you get.

Congrats on your Eagle. I got to 2nd class, but am in Troop 1, Gilwell, as an adult volunteer.

LittleLebowski
12-28-2015, 11:12 AM
I'm digging out my Surefire G2 incans. Been too foggy as of late.

If I were you, I'd keep one Streamlight and look at a more powerful light for carry since you're worried about lumens but the G2X is huge....

I carry the 4 Sevens Quark Pro (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00915HH9C/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B00915HH9C&linkCode=as2&tag=ratio07-20), it's nice and slim yet has 230 lumens and doesn't take up too much room in my pocket. The switching is easy to learn.

Cookie Monster
12-28-2015, 11:24 AM
I'd go Surefire 6P of whatever flavor you wanted, if you have a little more to spend I'd step up to the Fury of whatever flavor.

I love the Fury as my EDC but I stocked up on 6P's a few years ago so those are spread about the house. I'll get some more Furys in due time.

Go dual output, much more friendly for everyday stuff or checking out stuff in the dark. I know the dual outputs will get you killed on the streets but not every needs or likes 500 lumens.

OnionsAndDragons
12-28-2015, 11:27 AM
I wouldn't get rid of the Streamlights. Those micros are really good for what they are. I have 4-5 of them that all live in bags, consoles, etc. They are the light I throw at friends/family when they don't have one.

I'd probably just add another SF or a Phoenix or similar to the collection for night time walkabouts and keeping on the nightstand.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Clusterfrack
12-28-2015, 11:34 AM
My EDC is an Elzetta Alpha 313 (high/low tailcap) with a Raven clip (http://raven-concealment-systems1.mybigcommerce.com/surefire-p-and-g-series-pocket-clip/)

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/11/05/68fc46c90ffbca481fac4cea5f01fbe0.jpg

I haven't had to pull any buttons out of noses recently, so I can't say how well it works for that purpose.

TR675
12-28-2015, 11:41 AM
I bought a bunch of G2's five years ago, stuck them all over the house and car, and don't see any reason to replace working lights.

BobM
12-28-2015, 12:04 PM
I'm probably going to get the SF G2 LE. It's 400/15 lumens, coming on first at 400. Currently I'm carrying a G2Z with a Malkoff bulb but I like the dual output idea. I just got a AA Streamlight Protac. It's 155 lumens but I think I want more light than that as a general rule.

olstyn
12-28-2015, 12:14 PM
I carry the 4 Sevens Quark Pro (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00915HH9C/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B00915HH9C&linkCode=as2&tag=ratio07-20), it's nice and slim yet has 230 lumens and doesn't take up too much room in my pocket. The switching is easy to learn.

This. I love my QTL (http://www.amazon.com/FOURSEVENS-Tactical-Finish-2XCR123A-Lumens/dp/B00915I3RW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1451322702&sr=8-1&keywords=foursevens+qtl). Same output, the twist switching between the two programmed modes is easy to make natural, and the single CR123 makes it small enough that it's no hassle to carry just about anywhere, which means it comes everywhere with me. They seem to still be available, even though they were discontinued after the unfortunate twist interface lawsuit.

theJanitor
12-28-2015, 12:28 PM
I'm partial to the SF LX2 Lumamax, and the new EB series with the twist tailcap. The Low settings are very usable (500 lumens up your kid's nose won't be helpful), and the progressive switch is perfect for a handheld, IMO

ETA: My brother has switched to the malkoff AA light. It's not super bright, but bright enough, and along with his Petzl headlamp, and his Aimpoint M4S, he only needs the easy-to-find AA batteries. He keeps Lithiums in his packs, and uses rechargeables for daily duties

PNWTO
12-28-2015, 12:30 PM
I have a micro that is my EDC when the uniform of the day is business casual. Solid little light but doesn't have the output I like in semi-rural residential areas. My favorite as of now is a Streamlight ProTac 2L. Still a bit low on the output but it is what I carry most often outside the office. I sharpened the bezels this summer before a two week to Mexico and I like the end result.

JTQ
12-28-2015, 12:40 PM
I haven't found a need for any light much over 100 lumens. Whatever I buy these days, I always look for the LED version, I prefer polymer flashlight bodies, and single output lights. There are a lot of good products that cover those bases and most can be had for less than $50.

My wife and daughters all carry the Streamlight Sylus Pro (they are aluminum, but they are great little lights) in their purses. http://www.swps.com/streamlight-stylus-pro.html

I use little, sub-20 lumen lights more than anything, such as for finding my way around in the dark, map reading, etc. I use this Pelican Pen light more than anything. http://www.swps.com/1830-yellow.html

At the back door, on the night stand, or for in the car I do have one of these Streamlight 4AA LED lights http://www.swps.com/4aa-led-pro-polymer.html

I also have a Surfire G2 and a Streamlight Scorpion around the house for the same use. They are older models though, and I don't think either is above 120 lumens.

orionz06
12-28-2015, 12:42 PM
I ordered a FourSevens Quark Smart QSL (http://www.foursevens.com/products/QSL-AF), so far it's nice and has a tailcap that I like, despite Surefire dicking them over I think it's an improvement. Waiting on the app to clear the app store before I truly judge it. Mode wise it seems fine.

Sadmin
12-28-2015, 12:45 PM
Ive been using an Eagletac D25C on a rifle off an on for a year, its held up without issue. Because of this, I picked up a their T200C2 XM-L2. Its been left out on a mule in the rain, dropped, bounced around in a 4wheeler rack, etc.. solid light. I flirt with the idea of finding something that works outside of Surefire so I hope this is it. So far Fenix and Insight are a no go in my experience; have yet to try the protac.

NETim
12-28-2015, 12:47 PM
Been running the Micro for about 3 years now as my everyday work light. The switch is starting to get intermittent. I'm not sure if it's due to wear (or exposure to intense magnetic fields) but it's been used. A lot.

Another one on order. So easy to tote around but it's not very bright. Surefire LX2 used to do that duty but I got tired of it grinding on my pockets,so it rides in the laptop bag.

My latest kick has been dropping Malkoff LED's into good ol' Surefire C2's.

But my main battle light of choice is the magnificent Estrella. It sits on the nightstand along with a Gladius light as a backup.

Totem Polar
12-28-2015, 01:13 PM
I'm pretty much a die-hard surefire guy, and the reason is simple: tailcaps. I've had lights by S&W, 4sevens, and Olight--to name the better exemplars--all crap the bed when I went for some lumens, all over internal weirdness with the tailcap/switches. The lights and features were great, and I've always gotten them back up and running after some fiddling around, but only my surefires have lit up on demand each time. Surefires are like Glocks, and the various Chinese lights are like Tauruses, IMHO. They work until they don't.

All this is over stuff like getting into the safe, checking oil, looking for keys, etc. I'm no action guy and my alternalights still come up short. I don't know how people rely on import stuff for serious use. JMO, OMMV, grain of salt, etc.

Oh, and my favorite light is the aviator. Push for a little bit of light, push more for a lot more. Way simple.

Cookie Monster
12-28-2015, 07:32 PM
It wouldn't be a bad idea to have a Black Diamond Storm headlamp around, handhelds are great but a headlamp is well better for a lot of things. I got Surefire headlamps but they nothing special and three times the price.

texasaggie2005
12-28-2015, 08:21 PM
It wouldn't be a bad idea to have a Black Diamond Storm headlamp around, handhelds are great but a headlamp is well better for a lot of things. I got Surefire headlamps but they nothing special and three times the price.
+1 on the Storm. I picked one up on sale awhile back for hunting and general use. I've been very impressed with it so far, it now stays in my everyday carry backpack. I most recently used it while picking my truck's door lock at 0300. Being able to have both hands free was invaluable.

xmanhockey7
12-28-2015, 08:40 PM
I have an EB2 with tactical twist cap. Its a great defensive and admin light. I have added a Streamlight Microstream to my EDC so I can do admin stuff without burning the batteries on my EB2. IMO, Streamlight Microstream is a great admin light, but people should carry a much more powerful light on their person.

ubervic
12-28-2015, 08:51 PM
I run Streamlight Protac 1L but want to explore the 2L for the form factor, including the slimmer design and seemingly deeper ride into pocket.

Casey
12-28-2015, 09:33 PM
Over the past couple of years, I've gone all in on rechargeable lights. I really, really like being able to start my day with a fresh set of batteries in my lights, but I also have a strong aversion to throwing away partially depleted cells, as that gets expensive very quickly. I've had Barry Milton of Precision Works (http://precision.works/) bore out quite a few SureFire bodies for me, so the majority of my lights run on 18650 cells. At work I'm carrying a P1R Peacekeeper. Great dual-output light about the size of a Fury, and it comes from SF ready to take 18650s. EDC is usually a bored EB2, or an EB1 if I'm only going to be out during the day. The new SF Sidekick looks like a neat little general purpose light, but I hate having a bunch of crap of my keyring, and the EB2 and EB1 are both dual-mode, so the Sidekick would be redundant for me.

I know there are lots of other brands out there, some of which are "just as good" as SureFire, and I know that even SureFires can break, but I don't trust anything else for serious use.

DiscipulusArmorum
12-29-2015, 02:26 AM
Keep the Streamlights and buy another light for the nightstand. Seems like you've found a niche for the small Streamlight you're already carrying daily, and consider the second a spare for the junk drawer, wife's purse, etc.

I like the simplicity of the Surefire "switchology" since fooling around with 4-6 different modes, rotating bezels, and all that annoys me, especially on any light that I might use to ID a bump in the night. Recently received my Surefire Black Friday order, which included a Fury Tactical (600 lumens) and a G2X Pro (15/320 lumens). You're obviously familiar with how the G2X pro operates, but I bet the 320 lumen version (single or dual mode) would be a nice upgrade for an "oh shit" type of light. There's also the G2X LE which defaults to a 400 lumen high mode then down to 15 lumen low if pressed again within two seconds.

The Fury is going on my rifle, and the G2X Pro has become my favorite around the house/walking the dog/nightstand light. After trying the single-mode Fury in that role for a bit, I think the G2X Pro fits my needs for a general purpose handheld light better since the dual modes and lower lumens allow me to moderate my battery usage and 320 lumens in this beam pattern is plenty even when I want to reach out and see something in the woods behind the house.

Think about how you're most likely to use the light and go from there to decide if you want a one or two mode light.

Casual Friday
12-29-2015, 11:14 PM
For the last 5 years or so, my EDC light has been the Streamlight Polytac LED. I own several and haven't had any issues with them. While probably not as durable as my all metal Surefire lights, they have withstood being dropped and being used by my kids. My carbine has a Surefire 6P on it.

Luke
12-29-2015, 11:17 PM
Anybody ever used one of these on a rifle? I have no real need for a light so if I out one on there I want daylight :)

http://www.streamlight.com/en-us/product/product.html?pid=301

Chuck Whitlock
12-30-2015, 11:30 AM
Anybody ever used one of these on a rifle? I have no real need for a light so if I out one on there I want daylight :)

http://www.streamlight.com/en-us/product/product.html?pid=301

I have one, but just use it as a handheld. Heavier than I want on a rifle, but it does throw out some light! I generally stick it in my back pocket when letting the dogs out at night.

PPGMD
12-31-2015, 11:39 PM
The flashlights I used the most is my Surefire EB1 Tactical. Mostly because it is on my constantly. If I am going someplace where I think I need more light I will throw my EB2 in my pocket.

My second most used flashlight, my Surefire Saint. Mostly because it is a head lamp.

I've played around with Chinese lights, but between the total lack of support and complicated user modes they never really clicked for me. Surefire is the only company that has made lights that makes sense to me, for handheld tactical flashlights I want two modes, a low and a high. That is it, I don't want to have to click through a dozen modes to get what I want. And these days I much prefer Surefire's tactical switch, press a little for low, jam it all the way for high.

For headlamps, first it needs to be light weight, second it needs to be durable. And finally it needs to be a wide even beam, as I mostly use the headlamp for close in stuff. If I need to see a long way away I pull out a handheld light.

Now if you pulled my arm and I had to use a brand other than Surefire, it would probably be Elzetta. Their lights are built like a tank with good options. The only thing I dislike is that their two light mode switch sucks. I would only order a single mode light from them.

LockedBreech
12-31-2015, 11:58 PM
I have three flashlights:

- Streamlight TLR-1S, dedicated home defense light, mounted on Beretta PX4 Storm .40, Glock 23, and most recently and currently Sig P220R.

- Streamlight Polytac (car trunk)

- Maglite Mini LED (general house detail)

All fully satisfactory though the Streamlights are definitely nicer than the Maglite.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nephrology
01-01-2016, 10:34 AM
I have a small fleet of Streamlight products and couldnt be happier with them.

1 Streamlight TLR-1. Older model with a slightly dimmer LED but I have 0 complaints.
1 TLR-1S. Newer model with the LED bulb.
1 ProTac 2L. Love it, my EDC light until it just got replaced by ....
1 ProTac 2AA. Just got this for Xmas. Love it to death. It's longer than the PT2L but it is very bright and not having to buy CR123s is a small lifesaver. I'll still stock the CR123s but with AAs for my EDC light they will stretch much longer for sure.

I've also owned a couple PolyTacs but they got lost and were too big for EDC carry anyway. Lack of a pocket clip is how they went AWOL. Would never carry a light without a pocketclip nowadays.

cmbarny2
01-01-2016, 12:08 PM
I keep a microstream and a stylus pro in my edc bag. I bought a SF G2X LE on black friday and it will probably become my new favorite handheld for bright light. The microstream I prefer much more to the Stylus Pro so the stylus will probably get put in the jeeps center console.

On my AR i have a Inforce WML (not the X model). Its the Haley Strategic momentary only model from when they were first introduced. I love the switchology on it but the lumens aren't really as high as I would really like so an Elzetta or a Surefire will probably get put on it at some point instead.
On my HD glock 19 I have a X300U on it. Friggen love that light. Wish they wouldn't have changed to the new B model as I much preferred the attachment on the A model to the screw on the B.

I love surefire but some of their product decisions are iffy. Like their stupid wrist light?

My dads had good luck with the streamlight tlr1-HL on his glock as well.

Back to the original question, I think two microstreams is plenty. If you have kids the others might be a nice little thing to throw in their backpack or for your wifes purse. Other than that selling them and getting a brighter/bigger light would be my choice.

I apologize for my thoughts being all over the place. And all grammatical errors are brought to you by iPhone and Tapatalk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nephrology
01-01-2016, 12:38 PM
I have a small fleet of Streamlight products and couldnt be happier with them.

1 Streamlight TLR-1. Older model with a slightly dimmer LED but I have 0 complaints.
1 TLR-1S. Newer model with the LED bulb.
1 ProTac 2L. Love it, my EDC light until it just got replaced by ....
1 ProTac 2AA. Just got this for Xmas. Love it to death. It's longer than the PT2L but it is very bright and not having to buy CR123s is a small lifesaver. I'll still stock the CR123s but with AAs for my EDC light they will stretch much longer for sure.

I've also owned a couple PolyTacs but they got lost and were too big for EDC carry anyway. Lack of a pocket clip is how they went AWOL. Would never carry a light without a pocketclip nowadays.

Also forgot to mention that I have a Streamlight Stylus Pro - use it for my shifts in the ER. Great for doing neuro exams, and bright enough to find keys, etc. if it is dark out. Not sure I'd carry it as a primary light though. Used to have 2, gave one to my sister who is in nursing school.

JodyH
01-01-2016, 02:04 PM
For my headboard primary handheld "bump in the night" light I still trust Surefire above all others, currently a P2X Fury Tactical.
For a handgun weaponlight (light/laser for me), I am using the Steiner DBAL-PL on my headboard gun but like the Viridian X5L as well.
For general purpose lights that get stuffed in all my assorted backpacks and man purses I go with Fenix PD35's.
For a keychain/pocket EDC light I used to use a cheap Inova Microlight but recently switched to a Surefire Sidekick.
For a unique light that I keep finding good uses for the Surefire 2211X Wristlight is pretty damn cool and useful (I think I'm going to buy the Luminox watch/Wristlight combo for camping and backcountry use).

BobM
01-01-2016, 08:22 PM
I have a few of the Streamlight Sidewinders. They are great lower powered utility lights. The head swivels so you can set the light down and point it where you need it. It has multiple power levels and has red, blue, green, and white light

LSP972
01-01-2016, 08:55 PM
I'm pretty much a die-hard surefire guy, and the reason is simple: tailcaps. I've had lights by S&W, 4sevens, and Olight--to name the better exemplars--all crap the bed when I went for some lumens, all over internal weirdness with the tailcap/switches. The lights and features were great, and I've always gotten them back up and running after some fiddling around, but only my surefires have lit up on demand each time. Surefires are like Glocks, and the various Chinese lights are like Tauruses, IMHO. They work until they don't.

All this is over stuff like getting into the safe, checking oil, looking for keys, etc. I'm no action guy and my alternalights still come up short. I don't know how people rely on import stuff for serious use. JMO, OMMV, grain of salt, etc.

Oh, and my favorite light is the aviator. Push for a little bit of light, push more for a lot more. Way simple.

Get out of my head. I feel the exact same way. Particularly the comparison between Chinese lights and Tauri guns.

My EDC is a now-discontinued E1B. Its a bit smaller than the replacement EB1, and I was lucky enough to find a spare, NIB, at a real good price. My Aviator, a veteran of Katrina ;) , lives in my small MaxPedition get-home bag.

I have a dozen various lights, some AA powered and some 123A powered, laying around the house. The most recent acquisition is the 5.11 ATAC A1, which has proven to be a pretty spiffy little general-purpose light.

voodoo_man
01-01-2016, 08:57 PM
I have a dozen various lights, some AA powered and some 123A powered, laying around the house. The most recent acquisition is the 5.11 ATAC A1, which has proven to be a pretty spiffy little general-purpose light.

http://www.vdmsr.com/2013/02/511-atac-a1-jetbeam-ba10-bbqbuy-mini.html

Did a review of the ATAC A1.

I'm going to do a review pretty soon of the Streamlight 2AA, its been my EDC light for a little over a year (main backup at work and main edc carry) and it's recently taken a pretty bad beating, still works though.

Nephrology
01-01-2016, 10:06 PM
http://www.vdmsr.com/2013/02/511-atac-a1-jetbeam-ba10-bbqbuy-mini.html

Did a review of the ATAC A1.

I'm going to do a review pretty soon of the Streamlight 2AA, its been my EDC light for a little over a year (main backup at work and main edc carry) and it's recently taken a pretty bad beating, still works though.

Picked one up at your recommendation and couldn't be happier with it. Thanks for the tip.

Clay
01-02-2016, 01:29 AM
I've had excellent luck with Jetbeam, Nitecore, and Olight. Inexpensive, durable, and reliable in every model I've tried.

HighSpeedBail
01-02-2016, 02:22 AM
Ive been using an Eagletac D25C on a rifle off an on for a year, its held up without issue. Because of this, I picked up a their T200C2 XM-L2. Its been left out on a mule in the rain, dropped, bounced around in a 4wheeler rack, etc.. solid light. I flirt with the idea of finding something that works outside of Surefire so I hope this is it. So far Fenix and Insight are a no go in my experience; have yet to try the protac.

Ive been tempted to check out the t200c2.

I love my eagletac's. Been using a t20c2 for years, upgraded the led about 2 years ago. Runs great but does get a little hot on turbo if it's left on. Just recently bought the chargeable battery for it, 18650 or something.

I have several D25C as well, they're a great size for the pants pocket and usually what i take when i leave the house.

secondstoryguy
01-02-2016, 02:51 AM
I know its an older light but I just bought a Surefire R1 Lawman for duty use and I really dig it. It runs for a long time on a charge, can use and the switching is pretty intuitive. After having a few issues with my Night Reaper lights it's my new favorite duty light.

Unobtanium
01-02-2016, 06:00 AM
I carry a 4 Sevens high-CRI pen-light at work (healthcare), as it has a mode dim enough to asses pupils, and yet bright enough for me to change a tire by, if need be.
I carry a Streamlight Protac 1LE in my vehicle, because it is bright enough to do lots of tasks by, and has a 1 hour battery life on high, and many hours on low.
I mount Surefire on my weapons because they are bright, I like their "tint", and they are durable.

voodoo_man
01-02-2016, 07:42 AM
Picked one up at your recommendation and couldn't be happier with it. Thanks for the tip.

Which? The 2AA? Awesome light.

Nephrology
01-02-2016, 08:57 AM
Which? The 2AA? Awesome light.

Yup. It's been great so far - a little long for my tastes but fits very well in jeans pockets regardless. I'll be getting another in the not so distant future.

voodoo_man
01-02-2016, 09:11 AM
Yup. It's been great so far - a little long for my tastes but fits very well in jeans pockets regardless. I'll be getting another in the not so distant future.

I thought it was too long as well, but the fact I can just clip it inside the pocket and it sticks out just enough to grab ahold of in a pinch or good. It also doubles as an impact weapon.

TxShooter
01-02-2016, 02:26 PM
I recently picked up a SureFire G2X LE after doing a house search and not liking the low-then-high switching of my P2X Fury. Since picking up the LE it's also displaced my old 6P with Malkoff dropin and an early 200 lumen G2X Pro. For offduty I'm still partial to my E1B Backup.

For duty and around the house a Streamlight Stinger LED HL DS has replaced my old SL-20X with Malkoff dropin. I think it's the perfect blend of a bright hotspot plus plenty of flood for lighting up a yard or pasture, but don't think it provided a full hour runtime even when brand new. I also really like the Strion HL, but with the shorter body you can't tuck it under your arm as easily.

voodoo_man
01-02-2016, 04:32 PM
I have a Stinger hl ds for work, best duty flashlight ive had in years. Tons of lumens, rechargeable in the car, lasts for a week or so per charge. Highly recommended.

11B10
01-02-2016, 05:00 PM
All of the lights you guys are talking about are great I have some of them myself - BUT - I was given a J5TACTICAL, which is amazing. You can get it from Amazon for $12.95. It has: 250 lumens, aluminium body, belt clip, 3 modes, a zoom feature and is less than 3-1/2" long. I now have my 500 lumen Coast on my nightstand, my 350 lumen Streamlight in my car - and this great little J5 in my pocket. I still can't believe it's only $12.95!

Rich@CCC
01-02-2016, 05:47 PM
I'm a Fenix fanboise myself, I have most of their PD series lights.

I also have one of the MicroStreams and it's a great little light. You can boost the output considerably with a 10440 Li-ion battery (http://www.batteryjunction.com/search-results.html?keywords=10440&x=0&y=0).

Totem Polar
01-03-2016, 05:47 PM
Get out of my head.

No.

:D

LSP972
01-03-2016, 07:12 PM
No.

:D

Okay. I'll see your one , and raise you one NIB.

JodyH
01-03-2016, 08:52 PM
I'm getting all nostalgic for my E1e with the KL1 LED conversion head.

LSP972
01-03-2016, 09:19 PM
Nah, the E1e was for feather merchants- the default setting was the "low beam". The E1B's default setting is the "high beam"… and neither have that retarded strobe bullshit.

JodyH
01-03-2016, 09:34 PM
Nah, the E1e was for feather merchants- the default setting was the "low beam". The E1B's default setting is the "high beam"
Mine's so old all it had was a beam, and by God you'll like it. We don't need any of those fancy multi-modes in this house!

LSP972
01-03-2016, 09:49 PM
Mine's so old all it had was a beam, and by God you'll like it. We don't need any of those fancy multi-modes in this house!

:cool:

Totem Polar
01-04-2016, 02:17 AM
Mine's so old all it had was a beam, and by God you'll like it.

This made me LoL.

BobM
01-04-2016, 07:52 AM
I have a Stinger hl ds for work, best duty flashlight ive had in years. Tons of lumens, rechargeable in the car, lasts for a week or so per charge. Highly recommended.

I also use one of those at work. I've had it a couple years now and I think it's due for a battery replacement. If we were still issuing lights that's probably what I'd recommend

NCmtnman
01-04-2016, 09:09 AM
Get out of my head. I feel the exact same way. Particularly the comparison between Chinese lights and Tauri guns.

My EDC is a now-discontinued E1B. Its a bit smaller than the replacement EB1, and I was lucky enough to find a spare, NIB, at a real good price.

Can you switch through high/low quickly and reliably with your E1B? Like you, I carry the E1B over the newer model based on the size of it. My problem is that when I try to quickly click through the modes I sometimes get high/high or low/low. My newer Surefire lights don't do this.

NCmtnman
01-04-2016, 09:12 AM
I also use one of those at work. I've had it a couple years now and I think it's due for a battery replacement. If we were still issuing lights that's probably what I'd recommend

I felt the same until I was trying to track a load vehicle on foot and the strobe setting started going off. The light went from "off" to "rave in the desert" in no time flat. I had to take the battery out to turn it off.

Yes, my position was compromised....

LSP972
01-04-2016, 11:10 AM
My problem is that when I try to quickly click through the modes I sometimes get high/high or low/low.

Yes, I have seen that. I think it is caused by varying pressure on the button. In my case, the few times I have used it "for real", I mashed the button and kept it on until the danger had passed (or I determined there was NO danger); IOW, no switching involved. When I have needed the low beam, it has never been a duress situation, so if that "high-high" occurs, I just start over.

11B10
01-04-2016, 11:44 AM
Just really getting into this thread - and bam! Couldn't you just stick to great flashlights?

Okay. I'll see your one , and raise you one NIB.

BobM
01-04-2016, 12:39 PM
I felt the same until I was trying to track a load vehicle on foot and the strobe setting started going off. The light went from "off" to "rave in the desert" in no time flat. I had to take the battery out to turn it off.

Yes, my position was compromised....

Just came on by itself?

Tabasco
01-04-2016, 01:19 PM
What's the purpose of the strobe function? Just picked a Streamlight Polytac with my AmEx rewards points and it does this.

orionz06
01-04-2016, 01:26 PM
What's the purpose of the strobe function? Just picked a Streamlight Polytac with my AmEx rewards points and it does this.

I'm not sure there is a real purpose with that light given the switching.

Sent from my Nokia 3310 using an owl

NCmtnman
01-04-2016, 02:05 PM

It's supposed to disorient a threat. The problem is accessing it under duress and not messing up the three presses it takes to get there. IMO, it's tactical faggotry. The only time I used it was when I was playing around. Not that I or my opinion matters, but just an example. It may have a place somewhere but it doesn't belong in my inventory.

NCmtnman
01-04-2016, 02:07 PM
Just came on by itself?

I'm not really sure if it may have hit my knee or or what. The issue was that I could not turn it off. The tech letter said that the circuitry was replaced along with the button.

DMF13
01-06-2016, 11:53 PM
I like the new LED lights, particularly the Streamlight Polytacs. I have one of these in the truck:

http://www.amazon.com/Streamlight-88853-Yellow-Poly-Flashlight/dp/B002P44SDY/ref=pd_sim_469_4?ie=UTF8&dpID=41UrChydQcL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=0M0VPWT3SQPM4BED22TW

Seems to me they are are useful as a Surefire G2, and only $40, good value.The one you linked to is the old version with 130 lumens max.

They have a new version that is programmable (Streamlight's "Ten-Tap" programming), and is 275 lumens on high, and 14 lumens low.

You can get them for as low as $35: http://www.lapolicegear.com/streamlight-polytac-led-flashlight.html

I've got one in every vehicle, and one as my backup light on my tac vest.

My other favorite is the Streamlight ProTac 1L: http://www.amazon.com/Streamlight-88030-Tactical-Flashlight-Lithium/dp/B003GXF9MW/ref=sr_1_1_m?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1452142310&sr=1-1&keywords=streamlight+protac+1l

It comes with nice little nylon holster that makes it perfect for carrying right behind my spare mag on my weak side.

Eli
01-09-2016, 09:45 PM
For several months now, I've been trying to talk myself out of picking one of these up....alas, I was unsuccessful.

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee95/ceelfi/e2du.jpg

PPGMD
01-09-2016, 11:49 PM
The other night I took some flashlights out and did a test. Granted this wasn't a scientific test, it was just me noticing that the backyard was pretty dark and lets see how the flashlights preform.

My backyard isn't huge by country standards, but the area I have is about twice as big as the average backyard in my area, probably 60 or so yards distance.

I took out the following lights (all lights had fairly fresh batteries, but not new ones)
Surefire 6P LED - 80 lumens light using the original P60L emitter.
Surefire EB1 Tactical - 200 lumens
Surefire EB2 Tactical - 500 lumens
Elzetta Charlie AVS - 900 lumens - they now offer different options but it was whatever they offered when they first released this light.

Observations:
Surefire 6PL - Wow we considered this bright once? It wasn't horrible you could still see stuff, but it was a bit of a struggle
Surefire EB1 - Was pretty lite up, I could make out more details, but it was still missing stuff
Surefire EB2 - This had the brightest hot spot of all four lights, but it was pretty narrow, maybe a little bigger than a foot. But everything around it was very well lite up, the flood was at least as bright as the EB1's hot spot.
Elzetta Charlie AVS - The color was a little more yellow than the other three. The hot spot wasn't as bright as the EB2, but it was still bright enough to see most details and much bigger than the EB2 probably 3-4 feet wide. The flood was lighter than the EB2 but still brighter than the EB1's hot spot.

Conclusions: The EB1 was plenty bright for that distance for defensive use, but if I needed to see more details I would probably go for the EB2 or the Elzetta. But then again this was a back to back test, I remember when I was satisfied with the 6PL.