PDA

View Full Version : HK45 advice if you please

KPD
12-28-2015, 01:11 AM
I traded back into my HK45 that I let a friend have ma few months ago. I regretted the trade immediately and have been working on getting it back since.

Anyway, I find the HK45 to be an extremely soft shooting gun with either a lot of muzzle rise or I am letting the trigger out to far and am fighting the gun too much (this is a V7 LEM). Either way I am slow getting it back on target. I have never experienced anything like this except out of big bore magnum revolvers.

Has anyone else had this issue with the HK45? What did you do to solve it?

TIA!

LSP972
12-28-2015, 08:06 AM
Sounds like the gun is squirming in your hand. Have you tried changing the back strap?

I had a similar issue with the HK45 full size. With either backstrap, there is a slight void at the heel of my palm where there is no contact with the grip, and I just couldn't get past it.

And, truth be told, since the 10 round magazine of that pistol will work fine in the Compact version, I saw no need to fight the larger gun and sold it. All I gave up is less than an inch of sight radius; and both guns are possessed of phemonenal inherent accuracy, so...

1slow
12-28-2015, 08:15 AM
Have you timed your splits. How much slower? It is hard for me to judge speed without a timer.

GJM
12-28-2015, 08:49 AM
What ammo are you shooting? Slow compared to 9mm pistols or other pistols, of similar weight in .45?

With LEM, you can't flip and press without having a lot of finger travel.

I sure like my USP 45, but I value reliability over pure shootability.

Wobblie
12-28-2015, 08:58 AM
I traded back into my HK45 that I let a friend have ma few months ago. I regretted the trade immediately and have been working on getting it back since.

Anyway, I find the HK45 to be an extremely soft shooting gun with either a lot of muzzle rise or I am letting the trigger out to far and am fighting the gun too much (this is a V7 LEM). Either way I am slow getting it back on target. I have never experienced anything like this except out of big bore magnum revolvers.

Has anyone else had this issue with the HK45? What did you do to solve it?
I had the same problem with mine. I decided it was just a big clunky gun and traded it off. So did you.

TIA!

JodyH
12-28-2015, 09:39 AM
Need more info to determine the root cause of your troubles.
A picture of how you grip the gun from the left side (if you're right handed) would be a good place to start.
I'm guessing you're not getting good palm to palm "C-clamp" pressure on the grip which is giving you inconsistent sight tracking and inconsistent trigger manipulation.

JodyH
12-28-2015, 09:53 AM
What ammo are you shooting? Slow compared to 9mm pistols or other pistols, of similar weight in .45?

With LEM, you can't flip and press without having a lot of finger travel.

I sure like my USP 45, but I value reliability over pure shootability.
I had my 45C LEM out the other day doing some drills to see how my grip is (even hot 9mm just doesn't break down a sloppy grip like 45 +P does).
On Bill Drills with 230gr Federal HST +P I was getting .21 splits (.23's with my P2000 9mm and 127 +P+). I chalk it up to the better trigger reset on the V7 USP/HK45 LEM than what's on the V2 P2K's.
The HK/USP's really handle 45 well if your grip is good. I find them to be as easy to shoot as the 9's.
Of course I'm not shooting the nuclear bear loads GJM is.

Flip and press is very sub-optimal on LEM triggers.
I've found that more of a continuous motion press is better at speed, like shooting a well tuned DAO revolver fast.
And just like a well tuned DAO revolver you can stage the trigger for precision shots with enough trigger time.
I think that's why LEM's take so long to "get" for really high level shooters, to really get the most out of them takes finesse which takes a lot of dedicated LEM only shooting.
But just like a tuned DAO revolver, it's a great trigger to get new shooters up to a decent shooting standard fairly quickly while giving them a good intrinsic safety margin.

JohnK
12-28-2015, 11:21 AM
I think that's why LEM's take so long to "get" for really high level shooters, to really get the most out of them takes finesse which takes a lot of dedicated LEM only shooting.
But just like a tuned DAO revolver, it's a great trigger to get new shooters up to a decent shooting standard fairly quickly while giving them a good intrinsic safety margin.

I'm not a high level shooter by any means compared to a lot of people on this forum. I'd like to think I am slightly above average... but after so much time on a SA, the LEM is taking me a fair amount of time to figure out. But I like that it is giving me something to work on.

DBLAction454
12-30-2015, 03:27 AM
I'm willing to bet your grip and your trigger work need some modification and just some more time on the gun. Most people need time to really settle in with their HKs. I have over 10,000 rounds through my USP45s and I'd chose that handgun over any other to take with me anywhere. I have one HK45 that I shoot a hair less as well than the USP.

Just get some more time behind the gun and she'll fall into place. Make sure you're using a good high grip

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk