PDA

View Full Version : DFW (Texas) Weather

NorthernHeat
12-27-2015, 05:04 PM
I mentioned this in Jody's New Mexico weather thread, but did not want to derail that threat...

I know we have some DFW people on here and even more Texas folks that are having to deal with this weather.

Was working during the heart of this last night:

http://www.nbcdfw.com/weather/stories/Severe-Storms-Leave-Damage-in-North-Texas-363566391.html

If you have family in the area and have not checked on them, it would be a good idea.

If you cannot get ahold of them, PM me and I can try and give you details about what area's were hit the worst, where they are setting up shelters, ETC.

Be Safe

TR675
12-27-2015, 06:26 PM
It was a scary night. Thanks for the PSA

SeriousStudent
12-27-2015, 08:10 PM
Yeah, the weather was a bit more sporty than I like. The tornado line missed us by just a couple of miles, and was even closer to another member.

I hope the ice stays away from the MetroMess as well.

RevolverRob
12-27-2015, 08:35 PM
The tornado blew right over this area, but things are going well here at the parents' homestead. It's wet as hell and my new truck is a little grumpy is this cold damp weather, but it will survive.

NorthernHeat
12-27-2015, 08:37 PM
Yea, the tornado was hitting IH30 within eye sight of me as I was clearing calls and trying to get to cover.

Trooper224
12-28-2015, 05:59 AM
Thanks for the heads up. The wife has family in Garland.

RJ
12-28-2015, 11:51 AM
Damn. Hope all in the area are ok.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RoyGBiv
12-28-2015, 12:05 PM
I spent the afternoon in Rowlett yesterday helping with damage assessment (CERT mutual aid). It was the first time I'd seen F4 destruction first hand and I pray the last (knowing that is unlikely). If you live an area that sees tornadoes, have a plan. Talk about it with your family so they know the plan. Wake your kids up in the middle of the night and see how much time it takes them to shake off the cobwebs and react. I can promise you it won't be as planned and you'll have to adjust. We dodged a small tornado a few weeks ago. It skipped right over the house (the damage assessment revealed the track pretty clearly). How we reacted to it changed our plan. What we learned from deploying to Rowlett yesterday will inevitably change our local plan.

The harsh reality is that a direct hit from an F4 is very bad news.

NorthernHeat
12-28-2015, 01:51 PM
Damn. Hope all in the area are ok.

Thanks Rich, but I think they said 11 dead as of now.

I have heard its the deadliest tornado in N. Texas sense the 20's.

We have guys going out there for mutual aid as well.

RJ
12-28-2015, 02:25 PM
Thanks Rich, but I think they said 11 dead as of now.

I have heard its the deadliest tornado in N. Texas sense the 20's.

We have guys going out there for mutual aid as well.

I'm so sorry.

Been up here in NC visiting family, have not had time to catch any news.

Prayers for those at need, and for our First Responders and LEOs.

Damn that just sucks.

pablo
12-28-2015, 02:33 PM
I've put off buying a steel bolt down tornado shelter for years, because guns and fishing equipment were more important. After seeing some concrete slabs that used to be houses, I don't think I'll be putting it off too much longer.

Dagga Boy
12-28-2015, 06:27 PM
When I remodeled my bathroom, part of the 35 sq. Ft. Shower was it was also built to be the dedicated tornado shelter. Adding some construction materials was not a lot of money in the big picture to reinforce certain areas.

Chance
12-30-2015, 05:21 PM
Footage of the tornado forming. That's pretty terrifying.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUyQXdbDvEE

RoyGBiv
12-30-2015, 05:44 PM
^^ Shiver