PDA

View Full Version : Maxpedition Liger Belt

orionz06
03-01-2011, 08:22 AM
Has anyone had any great experience with the Maxpedition Liger Gun Belt (http://www.maxpedition.com/store/pc/Liger-Gun-Belt-c16.htm)? I am seeking a replacement belt for work (business casual world) and I hope to obtain a belt that is sufficient to support a normal concealment holster and mag pouch, while not looking like something that was handed down to me from my great grandfather.

http://www.knifeworks.com/productimages/max/LGB-BLACK-OUT.jpg

Jay Cunningham
03-01-2011, 08:25 AM
I can't say that I have any experience with this belt, but I am currently in the market for belt options that aren't... well... Wilderness riggers belts. Not that I have anything against them. I just want something that does what they do but doesn't look like a tactical cummerbund.

Looking forward to responses.

TAP
03-01-2011, 08:39 AM
A friend of mine ran this belt for a long time. As I recall, he had nothing but good things to say about it. He used to carry with a wilderness 5 stitch but he switched to the Liger.

SLG
03-01-2011, 09:18 AM
I have been wearing one on and off since they came out out, and everyday now for the last several years. They're not perfect, but I find it works for me.

orionz06
03-01-2011, 09:23 AM
How would you say it is not perfect?

LOKNLOD
03-01-2011, 09:49 AM
I was hunting for one of these a while back as an "do all" type casual belt, but at that time was told they'd discontinued the browns and only had the black and weird OD/tan shades. Size availability on the website seems to reflect that's still the case. I've been hunting for a belt I could wear around the office tucked in and then still carry with untucked.

YVK
03-01-2011, 10:00 AM
I have had one for 2 years or so, and it is my most commonly used belt. I agree with SLG, it is not perfect but works well enough. It is thinner than comparable leather and nylon belts and allows for some sliding of your gear. To me it is slightly less comfortable than alternatives, but not uncomfortable enough not to wear it almost daily. I've had some reservations about buckle hook, but it seems to be working fine.
As a comparison reference, in non-leather category, I own Wilderness Instructor belt and Ares Ranger belt. I like both of them, but both have own limitations, although, overall, Ares is my favorite non-leather gun belt. Liger is a closest thing to a leather gun belt, in slimmer and more casual package and considerably cheaper.

Frank B
03-01-2011, 10:09 AM
Maxpedition Liger Gun Belt (http://www.maxpedition.com/store/pc/Liger-Gun-Belt-c16.htm)? (business casual world)

I wear my one in business casual situations for a bit more than two years. It works fine for me. In summer I get wet and sweaty under that belt, so itīs not perfect at all. On the other hand itīs a stable base for a concealment holster, mag pouch, knife.

ToddG
03-01-2011, 10:44 AM
Most people I know love 'em. Personally, I have two and hardly ever wear them anymore. Mine are both supposed to be the same size, ordered at the same time, but one is about 2" longer than the other. The odd hook-style buckle is tricky on one because the hook is angled wrong and requires some gymnastics to get on. It's especially a hassle in a toilet stall when it's time to close everything back up and I've got the weight of my pistol to contend with.

OTOH, I switched to a Wilderness belt last year and never looked back. Admittedly, I always carry under an untucked shirt or sweatshirt so no one sees the belt but me. So the stiff, lightweight belt works great. Being able to loosen or tighten it quickly and exactly (instead of in increments like the Liger and most other belts) has its advantages.

Dr. No
03-01-2011, 11:42 AM
I have three of these belts now, and wear them anytime I'm off duty. I live in an extremely humid environment (S Texas) and they are fantastic. Leather or nylon style belts end up being waterlogged at the end of a day for me. My only complaint is that after years of carrying a gun on this rig, one of my older belts has suffered some splitting of the rubber material in the belt hole that the buckle attaches into. All my newer styles have not suffered that, but they do not have the same milage the old one does. I do wish it had some sort of "keeper" for the end that goes past the buckle, especially on the one that is a little too short for me. That would keep the belt from "v'ing" at the front.

All in all, they are fantastic. They are much lighter and thinner than most gun belts, and do a better job. I've swam in them and just wiped them off after. They get beat, scuffed, and poked, and they do not mar or crack. The price is a bit high, but if you get the right size they will last forever.

Doc

SmokeJumper
03-01-2011, 07:26 PM
I have not tried a Liger Belt though they looked interesting, I'm stuck on the Wilderness Instructor. Another option as someone mentioned they were looking for a new option, take a look at Ares Gear ranger belt. I've been impressed with it thus far.

mgobel
03-01-2011, 08:32 PM
Mine work great. Some kydex gear slides around a little bit (Blade Tech) and some does not (Raven). It does not set off the metal detector in the airport.

I am going to buy another.

My only concern is that it does get sweaty under the belt in the summer..but I live in Minnesota so that is a two month problem.

Mark

SLG
03-01-2011, 08:43 PM
How would you say it is not perfect?

For me, it is a little narrower than I would prefer. Mine mikes at 1.45" ( I think), whereas my leather belts are all a bit over 1.5". I find that wider is more comfortable, but am unwilling to go to 1.75 for a variety of reasons. Also, the thinness of the belt is one of the reasons I still wear it, but that, combined with the narrower width, leaves a lot of room in some holster/mag pouch belt loops. Getting the loops custom cut to fit the Liger means that they won't fit any other belt I own. As far as stuff sliding around on them, some does some doesn't. Sometimes that's good, sometimes that's bad.

orionz06
03-01-2011, 08:46 PM
For me, it is a little narrower than I would prefer. Mine mikes at 1.45" ( I think), whereas my leather belts are all a bit over 1.5". I find that wider is more comfortable, but am unwilling to go to 1.75 for a variety of reasons. Also, the thinness of the belt is one of the reasons I still wear it, but that, combined with the narrower width, leaves a lot of room in some holster/mag pouch belt loops. Getting the loops custom cut to fit the Liger means that they won't fit any other belt I own. As far as stuff sliding around on them, some does some doesn't. Sometimes that's good, sometimes that's bad.

Should be fine for me then, I am using a 1.25" belt and managing now. I imagine a 1.45" will be a hell of an improvement. Any other downfalls will have to come at the expense of not looking like grandpappy's belt.

vcdgrips
03-02-2011, 04:47 PM
I have two. both are 5 plus years old and have held up well. As someone who often has to dress up (jacket and tie) nearly every day, if I was only going to own one belt, the Liger would be it.

The other belts I own/use are a tapered Rafter S dress gunbelt and a Wilderness 5 stich with the insert.

joshs
03-02-2011, 05:18 PM
I find my liger belt to be significantly less comfortable than a leather belt. I think this has a lot to do with where my pants sit and how skinny I am. Unlike leather, or, even to some extent nylon, the "ligerthane" material has absolutely zero stretch. While this makes for a very stable belt, it also means that the belt doesn't flex at all with movement, which made the belt feel like it was digging in to my hip bones when it was tight enough to support a gun.

John Ralston
03-02-2011, 07:00 PM
Should be fine for me then, I am using a 1.25" belt and managing now. I imagine a 1.45" will be a hell of an improvement. Any other downfalls will have to come at the expense of not looking like grandpappy's belt.

Not to derail this, but not all leather stuff looks like it was cobbled together at the turn of the century...these are obviously exotics, but the nicest looking belt I ever made was plain old black cowhide.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5046/5356176212_1992a20f5c_z.jpg

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5258/5492829968_2c8f825a56_b.jpg

Lou Alessi always made a belt that looked like it would go with a business suit, with nicely skived edges, to give it that domed shape.

I think asthetics are lost on a lot of leather belts these days, but they don't have to be.

Luckily I had a good mentor...

3-7-77
03-03-2011, 02:07 PM
I have the exact Liger pictured, and as others have said, its nice but not perfect. Kydex can tend to slip around, and the belt is not as rigid as say a Wilderness belt. Where the Wilderness belt shines, IMO, is stiffness and the ability to cinch the belt to a "just right" amount of tightness rather than a predetermined belt buckle hole.

However, I have wore out the velcro on two Wilderness belt, I'd give the Liger the edge here for longevity. Releasing the Liger is actually very easy, contrary to what some have said. Rather than try to unbuckle the belt by pulling on the buckle, push both ends of the belt together and the buckle hook slides right out of the hole.

If you need a dressier belt, the Liger is a decent choice. If your belt is going to be hidden I'd go with a Wilderness option.

629TrainingConcepts
03-14-2011, 02:57 PM
I have a Jones Tactical Cobra Shooters Belt (http://jonestactical.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1&Itemid=3) that I wear every day with jeans or khakis. The buckle looks a little more polished than the Wilderness Belts, which I wore for 5 years. Jones also makes a two tone Cobra Every Day Belt (http://jonestactical.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=7&Itemid=9) that is a lot less tactical looking. I have never tried it, but can attest to the great customer service, pricing, and quick turnarounds that Jones provides.

orionz06
03-19-2011, 08:54 AM
I have a Jones Tactical Cobra Shooters Belt (http://jonestactical.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1&Itemid=3) that I wear every day with jeans or khakis. The buckle looks a little more polished than the Wilderness Belts, which I wore for 5 years. Jones also makes a two tone Cobra Every Day Belt (http://jonestactical.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=7&Itemid=9) that is a lot less tactical looking. I have never tried it, but can attest to the great customer service, pricing, and quick turnarounds that Jones provides.

Bear in mind that the belt needs to be used for business casual wear, ie leather or leather looking.

Rocket20_Ginsu
04-01-2011, 01:05 PM
We have these belts in the shop and I'm not very impressed by them. They seem a little more stiff than most normal leather belts however its not even close to my beltman belt. I too prefer wilderness belts for general purpose carrying; however, when I use leather belts for CCW I go with beltman, its the only leather belt that I've found that even comes close to my CSM belt in stiffness and weight carrying ability.

check him out here: http://www.thebeltman.net/

The wait time on the non stock items can be a bit long but well worth it.

GU